Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m (17568 Views)

It's Been An Honour: Abramovich Pens Tribute As Chelsea Complete Boehly Takeover / Wesley Fofana Takes Final Decision On Joining Chelsea / Wesley Fofana Breaks His Fast During Match, Thanks EPL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by ogbiwa: 2:19pm On Aug 31, 2022
Chelsea have signed French centre-back Wesley Fofana from Leicester City on a seven-year deal for £70m plus add-ons.

A France Under-21 international, Fofana joined Leicester from French side Saint-Etienne in 2020 and has since made 37 Premier League appearances.

He was restricted to just seven league games during the 2021-22 campaign after breaking his leg in a pre-season friendly against Villarreal.

"The two last days have been really big for me and I'm very happy," he said.

"I trained this morning with the team and it's a dream for me. I'm very excited to start playing games for the fans and the club.

"I'm here to win trophies - the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup, Carabao Cup, everything. I came here to win and the club is built to win trophies so I'm here to continue that."

Even with add-on payments, the deal for the 21-year-old does not exceed the £80m that Manchester United paid Leicester for Harry Maguire in 2019 - still a world record for a defender.

Chelsea chairman Todd Boehly said: "Wesley is a hugely promising defender who has already proven his quality in the Premier League at a young age. We are delighted we were able to bring one of Europe's most exciting talents to Chelsea and further strengthen that area of our squad, both for this season and many more to come."

Fofana was part of Brendan Rodgers' starting XI as Leicester won the FA Cup for the first time in their history by beating Chelsea in the 2021 final.

"Gutted to lose him but wish Wesley Fofana well," former Leicester striker Gary Lineker posted on social media.

"Every player wants to play Champions League football so it's understandable.

"Chelsea fans, you've got the most prodigiously talented young central defender in the world. Yes, I believe he's that good."

This summer Chelsea have brought in England forward Raheem Sterling from Manchester City for £50m, Senegal defender Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli for £34m, English midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa for £20m, Spain left-back Marc Cucurella from Brighton for £60m and Italian midfielder Cesare Casadei from Inter Milan.

Thomas Tuchel's side are eighth in the Premier League after Tuesday's 2-1 defeat at Southampton, a second loss in their past three games.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62462069

2 Likes

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by ArchiLimited: 2:19pm On Aug 31, 2022
You really have to admire Chelsea's transfer strategy: sign all the available best young talents from all over the world then send them all out on loan to strengthen other teams while paying their salaries, then when desperate for reinforcement for your own team, spend ridiculous amounts to sign untested players. The strategy is really working. I mean you had Tomori and Guehi and loaned them out to perform wonders for other clubs only to spend 70m+ to sign a defender on the same level as these other guys. Too much money

If you have an upcoming building project or want to modernize an existing one, contact me for top class Architectural designs and construction, and in good faith, we'll first design a sample plan for your project for FREE.
Contact is in my signature below

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by FIRDAUS3(m): 2:20pm On Aug 31, 2022
Great shocked
Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by Passionate888: 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2022
Them go still collect

What about Aubameyang?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by floss(m): 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2022
Finally
Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by baralatie(m): 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2022
How will it solve our attack problem

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by dejavuh0007(m): 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2022
Waste of money.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by Juliaann(f): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2022
B
Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by mployer(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2022
Chelsea and stupid signing.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by gabby227(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2022
FIRDAUS3:
Great shocked

Hmm
Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by gozmok1(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2022
another flop

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by oluwaseunamos33(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2022
How much be my own share?
Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by 1gbdata: 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2022
Good for them
Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by abobote: 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2022
An average defender for 70M punds, and people are ok with it coz he an English player.

Man U signed an attacker with so much potential for 84M pounds, and haters want to bring down the roof, without considering that not playing in champions league, will always make them to pay more

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by sotall(m): 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
See money

2 Likes

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by spafu(m): 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
This is Southampton induced fire brigade purchase.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by crossbreedwears(m): 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
This Chelsea keep signing defenders instead of a creativity midfielder and a good striker.

Anyway, I am into handmade footwear located in Lagos.

Contact me for business 0 9 0 7 2 9 9 0 4 6 8
Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by kosiebe(m): 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
Another defender again, CFC wan turn to defensive team?
Anyway Man utd for Life

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by sean079: 2:33pm On Aug 31, 2022
This guy wey no get correct striker go dey buy defender while haaland n jesus dey Ball for their respective club gathering points for dem

1 Like

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 31, 2022
Not the solution.
I blame madman Putin for all dis Chelsea wahala. cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by KingAzubuike(f): 2:33pm On Aug 31, 2022
Boehly isn't giving tuchel what he wants

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by reccy(m): 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2022
Good signing. The guy is good.

But to be honest, chelsea needs good attacker and one good DM and throw away that gallon call jorginhoe.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by Nawttiboi007(m): 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2022
Useless signing

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by THMT: 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2022
How many goals can he score per season angry
We need strikers to score goals at the moment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by Colb461: 2:35pm On Aug 31, 2022
crossbreedwears:
This Chelsea keep signing defenders instead of a creativity midfielder and a good striker.

Anyway, I am into handmade footwear located in Lagos.

Contact me for business 0 9 0 7 2 9 9 0 4 6 8
tuchel logic is simple.if we can't score,you can't score us grin grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by Soulsymbol99: 2:35pm On Aug 31, 2022
Na Chelsea owner dey unveil players nw? This man no get swag @all undecided miss abromavich cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by majamajic(m): 2:36pm On Aug 31, 2022
Leicester fit go relegation this season if care is not taken , they don't have keeper

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Complete Signing Of Wesley Fofana For £70m by Juanmike(m): 2:37pm On Aug 31, 2022
Chelsea should sign Ronaldo to end their goal troubles.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Updated: 2018 World Cup Standings / Danny Drinkwater Charged With Drink-driving After Crash / Osimhen, Aribo, Akpeyi Return As Rohr Unveil 24-Man Eagles Squad For 2021 AFCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.