Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan (346 Views)

Ongoing Primaries A Mess, Says Jonathan / Only South West Has Properly Managed Its Diversity, Says Jonathan / Hamzat Is A Compulsive Liar who has no character for public , Says Jonathan Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by raheemislamiyah: 10:31pm On Aug 31, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCH83rj4hys
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has narrated how his government resolved a lingering strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in one night.

The varsity teachers have been on strike since February and Jonathan, who spoke on Wednesday in Abuja during a conference to mark the 70th birthday of the Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Bishop Hassan Kukah, recalled how his administration tried to tackle one such industrial action.

“The society we are managing is complex. Now, we are talking about ASUU strike. During my time too, ASUU had four months of strike. Different committees were meeting but nothing was working. I said ‘How can our children stay out of school for four months?” Jonathan said at the event.

“So, I had to call a meeting of all the leadership of ASUU. I presided over the meeting with my vice president. The Attorney General was there. I said that that night we must solve the problem. The Attorney General was there; the Secretary to the Government of the Federation was there; the ministers of education were there; the labour ministers were there; the finance minister and everybody that had to do with it [strike].

“And I thought that my being there would help us to do things quickly. But we spent the whole night. We finished like 5:30 am and the strike was called off. So, there were issues,” Jonathan said.

The former Bayelsa governor, who extolled Bishop Kukah, said clergymen must speak against bad leadership in society.

Jonathan also spoke about the country’s democracy, asking Nigerians to protect it from derailing into fascism. According to him, democracy remains the best bet to manage the nation’s diversity.

The event had in attendance top dignitaries including the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Bola Tinubu; governors; former ministers among others.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by marenalexander7: 10:31pm On Aug 31, 2022
I don't understand, is he expecting us now to praise him for resolving a four month old strike or what?

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by danjumaisah: 10:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
APC is not going to resolve the problem soon

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by dangerousd071: 10:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
It is that of your promise you made to them, and you didn't fulfilled it that is hunting this administration

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by adeeyarhabdulla: 10:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
By signing an agreement that you could not keep and passed the liability to Buhari government

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by carochristoper: 10:33pm On Aug 31, 2022
How could GEJ claim to resolve anything when the agreement he entered into is what has been the problem till this moment.
This claim is ridiculous.
Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by Righthussle: 10:36pm On Aug 31, 2022
We miss Jonathan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by awoniyi1236(m): 10:39pm On Aug 31, 2022
Unlike agbado people
Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by Emmamay10: 10:50pm On Aug 31, 2022
President Jonathan, you are the real president. How I wish you could use the same magic you used then to save Nigerian students from the grip of both present APC and ASUU leadership. It seems we no longer have a government that cares.
Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by Great2017: 11:02pm On Aug 31, 2022
dangerousd071:
It is that of your promise you made to them, and you didn't fulfilled it that is hunting this administration
The promise was made to them in 2009 but Jonathan came on board in 2010. Anyway, Government is a continuum; Jonathan has done his part. Let the APC resolve the lingering ASUU strike and stop the blame game.

1 Like

Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 31, 2022
He rather keep mute.
Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by 4teenblaq: 11:56pm On Aug 31, 2022
Watch as the agbadorians and urchins start their nonsense blame games...

They are so clueless that all they could do is to blame and escalate the issue..
Re: My Govt Resolved Four-month ASUU Strike In One Night, Says Jonathan by KanwuliaExtra: 12:00am On Sep 01, 2022
Useless president that could not serve 2 terms before being chased out of Aso Rock.

Even the JUBRIL VEGETABLE could achieve that.

(1) (Reply)

Stop Following Wike Around, Tackle Abia’s Infrastructural Deficit, Ikpeazu Told / Obidients Failed Schemes And Manipulations / APC To AYU: Please Leave Us Out Of Your Hot Mess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.