Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man (2259 Views)

Cab Driver Disappears After Conveying Suspected Kidnapper In Lagos (photo) / Lady Arrested As Her Date Disappears After Stealing Two Phones In Lagos / Estate agent disappears after duping over 60 people of N300k each. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:21am On Sep 05, 2022
(CNN)Irene Gakwa's last WhatsApp video call with her parents was filled with gentle ribbing. But beneath the banter were hints that something was off.

When her face appeared on the phone screen, her dad teased her that she looked hungry and tired. Her smile was more subdued, he noted. Her short hair, usually braided, was rumpled.
"Make sure you drink hot milk and relax," her dad said from his living room in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi.
That was February 24, the last time anyone in her family saw her.
A month later -- less than three years after Gakwa left Kenya for the United States -- her family reported her missing. At the time of the February video call, Gakwa's parents were not aware she was living in Gillette, Wyoming, with a man she'd met on a Craigslist forum.
They also had no way of knowing that police would later accuse the man of removing money from her checking account, maxing out her credit card and deleting her email account.
And they never imagined that six months would go by without a word from her.

"She's always been a daddy's girl," said her father, Francis Kambo, in a recent phone interview from Nairobi. He took a deep breath as he recalled that last video call with his only daughter and youngest of his three children.
"She was supposed to come home for Christmas this year. I was going to buy that ticket myself for her to come if she couldn't afford it," he added, his voice shaking.
"Now I don't know if I'll ever see her again."
Her worried family members span two continents
Gakwa's worried family spans two continents 9,000 miles apart.
Her parents live in Nairobi while her two older brothers, Chris Munga and Kennedy Wainaina, live in the Idaho city of Meridian -- a Boise suburb.
Her father started worrying in late February when she did not respond to repeated video calls. This was unusual for the 32-year-old, who spoke to her parents about every other day.

And her written messages sounded odd, her family said. Instead of the mix of Swahili and Kenyan slang she uses, the messages were in stilted English -- like someone was using Google Translate to send them, said Wainaina, her oldest brother.
"The texts would be out of place," her father said.
In early March -- between the last video call and the day she was reported missing -- her parents received some short WhatsApp messages from her account. Some made excuses for why she wasn't doing video calls.
"Dad, I dropped my phone in the water and now the microphone doesn't work," one message said.
Another said, "I just want you to know I love and miss you and mom."
"We miss you ... we want to see you, not just chat on WhatsApp," her father responded. "We love you always. You will ... be my daughter forever."

Her boyfriend told police she packed her bags and left
The last WhatsApp message came on March 9, her father said.
The three siblings share a cell phone family plan. After Gakwa's brothers could not reach her, they looked through her phone records and called a close friend she'd talked to numerous times.
That's how they found out she had been living with her boyfriend, Nathan Hightman, 39, in a modest three-bedroom house in Gillette. The couple had dated since 2020, but had broken up several times, Wainaina said. Her brothers thought they'd parted ways and were not aware they'd rekindled their romance and moved in together.

Her brothers reported her missing to the Gillette Police Department on March 20, and an officer talked to Hightman the same day, according to an affidavit of probable cause in a related separate criminal case against her boyfriend.
Hightman told the officer he last saw Gakwa in late February, when she came home one night, packed her clothing in two plastic bags and left in a dark-colored SUV, the affidavit said. He told police he hadn't heard from her since. He also said he withdrew money from her bank account so she would be forced to contact him if she needed money, the affidavit said.
Hightman did not respond to the brothers' request to hand over her stuff in their home, Wainaina said. They implored him to give them her documents, including her Kenyan passport, but Hightman declined, Wainaina added.
Hightman is considered a person of interest in her disappearance and has "not made himself available to detectives looking to resolve questions that exist in the investigation," Gillette police said in a statement.
"We believe he has information pertaining to the disappearance of Irene, but he has elected not to provide that information to law enforcement at this time," Gillette police detective Dan Stroup told CNN.
CNN has made repeated attempts to reach Hightman via phone, text and email, but he has not responded. CNN also left messages for his public defender, Dallas Lamb, but did not hear back.
Hightman has not been charged in Gakwa's disappearance, but is a suspect in financial crimes against her after she went missing. Gillette police arrested him in May and charged him with two felony counts of theft, one felony count of unlawful use of a credit card, and two felony counts of crimes against intellectual property for allegedly changing her banking account password and deleting her email account after she vanished.
Between February and March, Hightman transferred nearly $3,700 from Gakwa's bank account to his own and spent an additional $3,230 on her credit card, court documents allege. He also changed her banking passwords and deleted her Gmail account, court documents said. All the changes were made from an IP address associated with Hightman after the date he told police Gakwa had moved out, according to the probable cause affidavit.
"This would indicate it was Nathan Hightman accessing Irene's account, removing money and changing the password to deny access to Irene," the affidavit said. "These transactions began on February 25, 2022, and continued through March 2022."
Hightman has pleaded not guilty to all charges and was released on a $10,000 bond. His pretrial conference is scheduled for November.

Her boyfriend bought boots, and a shovel using her credit card.
The Gillette Police Department said it has executed approximately 24 search warrants in the case, including at Hightman's home and at several banks to track activity on Gakwa's accounts.
During one of the searches, investigators recovered a shovel and boots Hightman bought at a Walmart in late February using Gakwa's Visa card, according to court documents.

In April, Gillette police issued a statement naming Hightman "a person of interest" in the case and saying, "he has not made himself available to detectives looking to resolve questions that exist in the investigation."
The police added, "Irene went missing under suspicious circumstances. ... digital evidence, including location data, is also being analyzed and has provided positive leads."
Stroup, the detective, said the investigation is ongoing.
"In the event probable cause is established, appropriate action will be taken," he said.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Nobody: 5:26am On Sep 05, 2022
No naww. Nothing good ever comes from FWBs from craigslist.

Now this white nigga done cut her into pieces because she didn't give him sex and she yabbed him for taking her money and then, he has buried her parts in different places.

He bought the shovel to dig and boots to cover his foot from blood and other chopped up body parts..

Another cold case for the cops.
Damn girl. The nigga sef looks like a statistic, the typical "murder your African girlfriend" type.

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:31am On Sep 05, 2022
This guy’s neighbors saw him burning something in a 55 gallon drum close to the time he bought the shovel and boots. I don’t think she’s alive.

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:33am On Sep 05, 2022
Olasyke:
No naww. Nothing good ever comes from FWBs from craigslist.

Now this white nigga done cut her into pieces because she didn't give him sex and she yabbed him for taking her money and then, he has buried her parts in different places.
Another cold case for the cops.
Damn girl. This greencard hustle shaa.

She became his girlfriend and moved to another state with him. The money wasn’t taken until after she was last seen or heard from.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Nobody: 5:34am On Sep 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
This guy’s neighbors saw him in his backyard burning something in a 55 gallon drum close to the time he bought the shovel and boots. He killed her then destroyed her body.
He probably burnt the outfits he was wearing while killing her because it has blood and her DNA all over it.

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Nobody: 5:35am On Sep 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

She became his girlfriend and moved to another state with him. The money wasn’t taken until after she was last seen or heard from.
Oh, Okay then.

Maybe Just some domestic dispute and he went overboard. Damn! Now she's gone and probably buried in a shallow grave somewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by God1000(m): 5:36am On Sep 05, 2022
Too bad, I saw this on Facebook yesterday
Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:37am On Sep 05, 2022
Olasyke:

Oh, Okay then.

Maybe Just some domestic dispute and he went overboard. Damn! Now she's gone and probably buried in a shallow grave somewhere.

Yes and it might be hard finding her body in the empty state they lived in.

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by backnbeta(f): 5:57am On Sep 05, 2022
Guy looks like a killer! I hope the fatso didn't bury her body in a shallow grave in a swampy area with the shovel, while wearing the boots. I wonder when exactly they'll find that "probable cause" and arrest this hitman undecided

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:18am On Sep 05, 2022
backnbeta:
Guy looks like a killer! I hope the fatso didn't bury her body in a shallow grave in a swampy area with the shovel, while wearing the boots. I wonder when exactly they'll find that "probable cause" and arrest this hitman undecided

A killer is exactly what he looks like! There’s almost no black people but many white supremacists in Wyoming so police might be lax with him. angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by adecz: 6:23am On Sep 05, 2022
This man has killed and buried
her in a shallow grave somewhere❗️❗️☹️☹️

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 6:37am On Sep 05, 2022
lol.....
Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by BeanmanX(m): 7:59am On Sep 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
This guy’s neighbors saw him burning something in a 55 gallon drum close to the time he bought the shovel and boots. I don’t think she’s alive.
She's probably dead,,,,,

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by BeanmanX(m): 8:01am On Sep 05, 2022
backnbeta:
What if I tell u that nothing will happen,,,,,as far as it's a white man that committed the crime,,he will go scott free without any hefty punishment..
Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Baronthecelebri: 8:11am On Sep 05, 2022
Hmmm,nawa
Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:18am On Sep 05, 2022
BeanmanX:
She's probably dead,,,,,

I’m afraid so too.

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by AlphaTaikun: 8:51am On Sep 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
(CNN)Irene Gakwa's last WhatsApp video call with her parents was filled with gentle ribbing. But beneath the banter were hints that something was off.

When her face appeared on the phone screen, her dad teased her that she looked hungry and tired. Her smile was more subdued, he noted. Her short hair, usually braided, was rumpled.
"Make sure you drink hot milk and relax," her dad said from his living room in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi.
That was February 24, the last time anyone in her family saw her.
A month later -- less than three years after Gakwa left Kenya for the United States -- her family reported her missing. At the time of the February video call, Gakwa's parents were not aware she was living in Gillette, Wyoming, with a man she'd met on a Craigslist forum.
They also had no way of knowing that police would later accuse the man of removing money from her checking account, maxing out her credit card and deleting her email account.
And they never imagined that six months would go by without a word from her.

"She's always been a daddy's girl," said her father, Francis Kambo, in a recent phone interview from Nairobi. He took a deep breath as he recalled that last video call with his only daughter and youngest of his three children.
"She was supposed to come home for Christmas this year. I was going to buy that ticket myself for her to come if she couldn't afford it," he added, his voice shaking.
"Now I don't know if I'll ever see her again."
Her worried family members span two continents
Gakwa's worried family spans two continents 9,000 miles apart.
Her parents live in Nairobi while her two older brothers, Chris Munga and Kennedy Wainaina, live in the Idaho city of Meridian -- a Boise suburb.
Her father started worrying in late February when she did not respond to repeated video calls. This was unusual for the 32-year-old, who spoke to her parents about every other day.

And her written messages sounded odd, her family said. Instead of the mix of Swahili and Kenyan slang she uses, the messages were in stilted English -- like someone was using Google Translate to send them, said Wainaina, her oldest brother.
"The texts would be out of place," her father said.
In early March -- between the last video call and the day she was reported missing -- her parents received some short WhatsApp messages from her account. Some made excuses for why she wasn't doing video calls.
"Dad, I dropped my phone in the water and now the microphone doesn't work," one message said.
Another said, "I just want you to know I love and miss you and mom."
"We miss you ... we want to see you, not just chat on WhatsApp," her father responded. "We love you always. You will ... be my daughter forever."

Her boyfriend told police she packed her bags and left
The last WhatsApp message came on March 9, her father said.
The three siblings share a cell phone family plan. After Gakwa's brothers could not reach her, they looked through her phone records and called a close friend she'd talked to numerous times.
That's how they found out she had been living with her boyfriend, Nathan Hightman, 39, in a modest three-bedroom house in Gillette. The couple had dated since 2020, but had broken up several times, Wainaina said. Her brothers thought they'd parted ways and were not aware they'd rekindled their romance and moved in together.

Her brothers reported her missing to the Gillette Police Department on March 20, and an officer talked to Hightman the same day, according to an affidavit of probable cause in a related separate criminal case against her boyfriend.
Hightman told the officer he last saw Gakwa in late February, when she came home one night, packed her clothing in two plastic bags and left in a dark-colored SUV, the affidavit said. He told police he hadn't heard from her since. He also said he withdrew money from her bank account so she would be forced to contact him if she needed money, the affidavit said.

Hightman did not respond to the brothers' request to hand over her stuff in their home, Wainaina said. They implored him to give them her documents, including her Kenyan passport, but Hightman declined, Wainaina added.
Hightman is considered a person of interest in her disappearance and has "not made himself available to detectives looking to resolve questions that exist in the investigation," Gillette police said in a statement.

"We believe he has information pertaining to the disappearance of Irene, but he has elected not to provide that information to law enforcement at this time," Gillette police detective Dan Stroup told CNN.

CNN has made repeated attempts to reach Hightman via phone, text and email, but he has not responded. CNN also left messages for his public defender, Dallas Lamb, but did not hear back.
Hightman has not been charged in Gakwa's disappearance, but is a suspect in financial crimes against her after she went missing. Gillette police arrested him in May and charged him with two felony counts of theft, one felony count of unlawful use of a credit card, and two felony counts of crimes against intellectual property for allegedly changing her banking account password and deleting her email account after she vanished.
Between February and March, Hightman transferred nearly $3,700 from Gakwa's bank account to his own and spent an additional $3,230 on her credit card, court documents allege. He also changed her banking passwords and deleted her Gmail account, court documents said. All the changes were made from an IP address associated with Hightman after the date he told police Gakwa had moved out, according to the probable cause affidavit.
"This would indicate it was Nathan Hightman accessing Irene's account, removing money and changing the password to deny access to Irene," the affidavit said. "These transactions began on February 25, 2022, and continued through March 2022."

Hightman has pleaded not guilty to all charges and was released on a $10,000 bond. His pretrial conference is scheduled for November.

Her boyfriend bought boots, and a shovel using her credit card.
The Gillette Police Department said it has executed approximately 24 search warrants in the case, including at Hightman's home and at several banks to track activity on Gakwa's accounts.
During one of the searches, investigators recovered a shovel and boots Hightman bought at a Walmart in late February using Gakwa's Visa card, according to court documents.

In April, Gillette police issued a statement naming Hightman "a person of interest" in the case and saying, "he has not made himself available to detectives looking to resolve questions that exist in the investigation."
The police added, "Irene went missing under suspicious circumstances. ... digital evidence, including location data, is also being analyzed and has provided positive leads."
Stroup, the detective, said the investigation is ongoing.
"In the event probable cause is established, appropriate action will be taken," he said.
OMG! "She's dead"... This creepy dude bought a pair of boots and a shovel to bury her remains.

She obviously was held as a hostage by this guy and that's why she lost a lot of weight according to her Kenya-based parents.

The use of a Polygraphic Examination machine (lie detector) on this Wyoming white dude would help to uncover a lot of facts in this crime case.

My years of watching "Forensic Detectives" and reading criminal investigation data proves that Hightman is guilty here based on a consistent pattern... but that's for the court to finally decide based on available evidence. I want to see him rot in jail.

I've always emphasized on "due dilligence" folks. New immigrants should be aware of who they move with.

Stay safe.

Cc: Mynd44, Lalasticlala, Sukkot, Naptu2.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by AlphaTaikun: 9:23am On Sep 05, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

A killer is exactly what he looks like! There’s almost no black people but many white supremacists in Wyoming so police might be lax with him. angry
I like the fact that you posted this unfolding crime story here on NL for wider reading.

You and your team should keep an eye on this case for further legal escalation. The Wyoming police are already lax or pussyfooting here.

This is not the era of racial segregation in the U.S. of the early 1900s to the 1960s. Period.

#Justice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by backnbeta(f): 9:25am On Sep 05, 2022
BeanmanX:
What if I tell u that nothing will happen,,,,,as far as it's a white man that committed the crime,,he will go scott free without any hefty punishment..
Yeah, that was why I put the "probable cause" for arrest in quote! The chances of him being arrested as a white man over a black woman in an almost all-white environment are very slim undecided

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:31am On Sep 05, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

I like the fact that you posted this unfolding crime story here on NL for wider reading.

You and your team should keep an eye on this case for further legal escalation. The Wyoming police are already lax or pussyfooting here.

This is not the era of racial
segregation in the U.S. of the early 1900s to the 1960s. Period.

#Justice

I wish but these Kenyans are obviously White-washed and don’t want to rock the boat which might be the reason this was unknown until now. She’s been missing quite a while. They should’ve reached out to black people in America for help but as you read, these guys are depending on White people to help get justice against a white man for a black woman. Sometimes, this type will not hesitate to say they don’t want your help because they don’t want white people to think they’re troublemakers like American blacks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:34am On Sep 05, 2022
backnbeta:

Yeah, that was why I put the "probable cause" for arrest in quote! The chances of him being arrested as a white man over a black woman in an almost all-white environment are very slim undecided

It looks like the family is too trusting of white people and are waiting for the police to do everything without any pressure from them.
Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Mercury12(m): 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2022
Hold that white boy responsible
Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Dialpad: 6:31pm On Sep 05, 2022
The guy may have killed her

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by AdolfHitlerxXx: 5:09am On Sep 06, 2022
Guy looks like a creep sex killer

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by AlphaTaikun: 7:46am On Sep 06, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I wish but these Kenyans are obviously White-washed and don’t want to rock the boat which might be the reason this was unknown until now. She’s been missing quite a while. They should’ve reached out to black people in America for help but as you read, these guys are depending on White people to help get justice against a white man for a black woman. Sometimes, this type will not hesitate to say they don’t want your help because they don’t want white people to think they’re troublemakers like American blacks.
Very well said. You spoke my mind here. The CNN has internationalised this criminal case now... and we'll see how things pan out.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Adewunmibaba(m): 4:29pm On Nov 28, 2022
Hello… what is the update on this crime case?

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by Houseofglam7(f): 11:48pm On Jan 25, 2023
Oh my!
I fear the worst may have happened 😢
Re: Kenyan Woman New To America Disappears After Moving In With White Man by GeneralPula: 12:35am On Jan 26, 2023

Looking at this report, one can tell the matter has been twisted cuz it’s a black woman vs white guy. Why didn’t the Kenya family called black people the moment they smelled foul play?

Craigslist is not an ordinary platform. It’s filled with terrible people and most things they do are terrible things. I heard they’re even selling cracks on Craigslist..

Another issue is Kenyans are always feeling like America loves them. Imagine them depending on white police.

(1) (Reply)

Man Beats German Based Wife To Pulp Picture / South West Produces Another World Class Armed Robber After Dr Oyenusi. / Plate Number Robbery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.