Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku (22809 Views)

Atiku Wins Okrika LGA In Rivers, Despite Wike’s Opposition / 2023: Ex-Senators, Others Storm Alaafin, Olubadan Palaces, Woo Them For Tinubu / 2019: 15 Governors, 80 Senators, Others Set To Battle Buhari- NewTelegraphOnline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by naijabetlee(m): 6:23am On Sep 05, 2022
As a result of his opposition and relentless attacks on the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, northern leaders, including senators across party lines, are upset with Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, Vanguard learned yesterday.

It was learned that the leaders, who initially thought Wike’s tantrums were just political jibes, are now seeing his growing opposition to the PDP candidate as an attack on the north.

Both Atiku and Wike have been engaged in a frosty relationship over the removal of the party’s National Chairman, Senator Iyorchia Ayu.

The two leaders also set up a reconciliation committee to resolve their differences but there has been no headway.

But the camp of the Rivers State governor is also not relenting as it is insisting that the promises made by the former vice president must be honoured.

Meanwhile, strong indications have emerged that the reconciliation committee is expected to meet this week to look into the requests of both camps to make headway.

Similarly, Vanguard was reliably informed that the feud Wike has with Atiku is for relevance and a fight for a position, should the party win the next presidential election.

Northern senators, others upset over Wike’s opposition to Atiku

Following Wike’s opposition to Atiku, there is growing consensus to support Atiku, especially the North/South divide they felt Wike has introduced to PDP crisis.

A highly placed source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The north is taking note of what Wike is doing to Atiku. I am one of them and I can tell you confidently that they are not happy with Wike.

‘’He lost an election and has turned his opposition to Atiku into the age long North/South divide. The leaders, including senators in both parties, are not happy with Wike. And they have resolved to surprise him at the appropriate time. What does he want?

‘’He is a poor student of history and has forgotten that Atiku is north’s highest representative in the election.”

Wike’s fight for relevance

On why the Rivers State governor is up in arms against the former VP, a source involved in the reconciliation committee said the feud was deliberate.

Giving insight to the frosty relationship, the source said: “The real issue between Wike and Atiku is deliberately distorted to fit a narrative and that narrative is that it is a fight by Wike for relevance, it is a fight by Wike for a position, it is a fight by Wike to secure himself.

“Legitimately, it could be all of these, Wike, having invested in the party, has a right to insist to be at the top table.

“Also, he came second in the party primary; in all democracies, when the winner emerges, the person who comes closest in the race, some grounds will be conceded to him and his followers.

“One had expected that immediately after the primary, the first person Atiku will court will be Wike and his group

“All issues that have been narrowed down to Wike are for the governors and members that are sympathetic to him and his cause.

“What are the principal issues in this cause. First is that the BoT chairman, party chairman, party candidate, the chairman of the PDP governors’ forum and all major offices within the PDP are held by northerners.

“Wike and his allies had insisted from day one that the president must come from the South but some people said it is not like that.

‘’That was why the contest was thrown open but with a proviso that if the presidential candidate comes from the north, then the chairman of the party who was elected at the convention, would step down and the chairman would now come from the South.

“This is what I heard and maybe Wike will still commit himself. The first discussion Atiku had with Wike is that Ayu would go as earlier discussed.

“Second, Atiku offered to make Wike, at their first meeting, the vice presidential candidate. Wike now told Atiku that he had heard but he would discuss with his team. Atiku offered Wike to be his running mate.”

Wike’s romance with Tinubu, Obi

On Wike’s romance with Tinubu and Obi, the source said: “There is a consensus that none of the options on the table will bring stability and progress.

“All of the options have k-leg. People believe that the Muslim-Muslim ticket is not an option for Nigeria and that it will continue to haunt us in the future, if allowed.

“Tinubu and Obi wanted to meet him. For political reasons, he was invited and there is no crime in that. I know Obi went to meet him. If you were in Wike’s shoes, will you not meet those who want to meet you?

‘’You see, we are being unfair in this whole thing, somebody held this party together and he was the face of opposition then. The sensible thing is to give him what he rightly deserves.”

Reconciliation efforts

The source disclosed that the peace parley is on course, adding that members of the committee would meet this week for further discussions.

The source said: “All I know is that Dr Olusegun Mimiko is one of those facilitating peace in the PDP. If the reconciliation works, which is a possibility, because meetings are still being held and they will still be held this week.

‘’There are meetings going on and the possibility of resolving it is there.

“After resolving the crisis, there is the possibility of building a broad-based coalition. The issue of Nigeria now is not about parties, people are working to build a coalition that will give us a semblance and a platform that will help us arrest what we are going through now. The reconciliation effort is going on.”
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/09/2023-northern-senators-others-upset-over-wikes-opposition-to-atiku-source/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjSvaXo9fz5AhVIxoUKHSvLB8UQFnoECAIQAg&usg=AOvVaw2EhAfaExPdZCpqCZ3CKQ7b

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:28am On Sep 05, 2022
They are upset that someone is not supporting a known notorious looter. Talking about tribal politics that has always held Nigeria down.

I will only be upset is Wike leave a notorious looter and go on to support another old grandpa whose only manifesto is supporting people who developed Lagos, as if he did not also support people who could not develope Ogun and Ekiti.

I really plead with poor Nigerians who are the puns in these gang of looters chess games. We are always the victims of their power game plays.
Till now, we cannot see them being crazy at each other due to corruption. In fact they are not permanent enemies for so long as their interest is protected. 2023 please wise up.

Vote Wisely!!!

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by SALLYBERRY01(m): 6:33am On Sep 05, 2022
But there were all happy with treatment given to him by the northern pdp leaders.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by ecolime(m): 6:33am On Sep 05, 2022
They can all go to hell.

Buhari is about rounding up his 8 years of misrule. Another Northerner is seeking 8 years again. E no make sense na.

The North doesn't own Nigeria.

150 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by frndfghtr(m): 6:33am On Sep 05, 2022
Upset ko, upset in, I think they said he have only one vote, the earlier they realise that rivers PDP votes alone surpassed all western PDP votes in last election

11 Likes

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by boldking(m): 6:34am On Sep 05, 2022
Vote Peter Obi abeg

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Omonieme: 6:34am On Sep 05, 2022
Oga, nothing like North South divide or anything like that. Atiku goofed big time. You've won the primaries yes! Wike was your greatest challenger and someone that definitely controls a bloc in your party and arguably the most powerful governor in your party. What you should have done was bring him close. Make him feel important. I'm not saying you should have made him your VP. Heck! You can only choose who you want to work with. But how about making him feel important and asking him for an input for your VP choice? Even if it's a faith accompli, you can present it first to him, explain your reason for the choice, get his support and reassure him of his importance in the grand scheme of things cause if we Wan talk truth, Wike Don try for PDP and while his tantrums are really unnecessary, he has a right to be aggrieved and such grievances should have been addressed long before now. If me, a common man know this, I wonder why Atiku and his handlers don't. But well, maybe I really know nothing other than how to sell cars.... Heck! I know how to do that a lot and you can check out some very very affordable and clean auto deals on my profile

112 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by oloyedewaris(m): 6:35am On Sep 05, 2022
Dem never see anything from that dead party

1 Like

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Damidave1124(m): 6:35am On Sep 05, 2022
To them, Nigerian begins and end with North. I'm with Wike of this.

Presidential candidate: North
Party chairman: North

Ayu should just do what he promised to do if a northern emerges as the flagbearer of PDP and all these up and down will be settled.

Wike pepper them grin

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Parachoko: 6:35am On Sep 05, 2022
Nah so people of the South South were disappointed over the role of Atiku over the role he played in working against the son of the Niger Delta in 2014/2015.

If Atiku worked and supported Jonathan after he lost the 2014 PDP primary to Jonathan, maybe he would have become the President in 2019.

I don sit down look Nigeria matter, and I doubt Nigeria can really work.

146 Likes

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by BurialGround: 6:36am On Sep 05, 2022
cheesy

1 Share

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by IamNat: 6:36am On Sep 05, 2022
Which northern senator? They should say northern PDP senators. This is just an effort by the media to raise dust where there's none. They are just trying to put this idea into the head of the northerners which can be very dangerous.

Maybe na wetin go split this country be this.

13 Likes

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by penultimatee(m): 6:36am On Sep 05, 2022
This I think is a fake news,which north senators across the party line.Propaganda.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Deltafirstson(m): 6:36am On Sep 05, 2022
Noted
I knew this will later turned to North and south thing, which will cost Tinubu massive northern votes. Because majority of northerners hate some southerns supporting Tinubu.
Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by ATLIEN2027: 6:36am On Sep 05, 2022
k
Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by OPICANTO2223: 6:37am On Sep 05, 2022
More to come. Wike fails to see the handwriting early. A used and dumped fool

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by ATLIEN2027: 6:38am On Sep 05, 2022
SpecialAdviser:
They are upset that someone is not supporting a known notorious looter. Talking about tribal politics that has always held Nigeria down.

I will only be upset is Wike leave a notorious looter and go on to support another old grandpa whose only manifesto is supporting people who developed Lagos, as if he did not also support people who could not develope Ogun and Ekiti.

Vote Wisely!!!

Are you not also a tribalist for supporting a known liar with no record to run on except that He's IGBO?
Obi invested Govt money into his own family business, that alone will disqualify any candidate in a normal society but tribalist like you don't care about that. But you are here calling some corrupt as if your candidate is clean.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Paragon311(m): 6:38am On Sep 05, 2022
Political class are shaking for 2023....

Northerners are not to be trusted at all..

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Slippy: 6:38am On Sep 05, 2022
grin
Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Annoying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by mactoni91(m): 6:39am On Sep 05, 2022
So, the North are now agreeing that Atiku is their Biggest Representative.

Won't be surprised if Kwakwanso steps down for Atiku.

If this happens, the South has been played again by the North.

Tinubu is Never a Master strategist. If he is, he should have seen he's been used by APC/North to Divide southern Votes.

The Strength of the North is in their Numbers.
But the South here, greed, sentiments, and tribalism won't allow us stand

7 Likes

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Mikelarteta(m): 6:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Wike is mad. Pride goes before destruction.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by OPICANTO2223: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2022
Shuuuu. Wike go receive wotowoto from the north soon. SE hates him, Delta, Edo , Akwa ibom and Cross River also dislikes him.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by SimplePlan34: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2022
When u play all ur cards u suddenly realize it’s game over leave wike after 2023 we shall see.
Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by RandyOku: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2022
I can't imagine how that MANNEQUIN at Asokoro rock will finish 8yrs and another MIKANO-FRAUD Fulani will want to continue rulinggrin

Northerners think they own Nigeria, but e go clear their eyes 2023...Bunch of Hypocritesgrin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 6:40am On Sep 05, 2022
drag all abokis back to the sahel..

let them enjoy sharia in their dusty hills

pepper them wickedly..

igbos will still deal with you las las

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Lol
Re: 2023: Northern Senators, Others Upset Over Wike’s Opposition To Atiku by mach7(m): 6:40am On Sep 05, 2022
This story is a plant as it doesn't add up.

What concerns APC senators with what is happening in PDP?

The more PDP fights, the better for APC.

Atiku's people are just planting all manner of stories to discredit Wike, but all nah wash.
The truth can't be wiped away, Atiku took the slot of the South and he should face the consequences.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Father Emmanuel Obimma, Ebube Muonso Endorses Peter Obi For President (Video) / A Danfo Killed The LASTMA Official. Not The Banker - Eyewitness / Buhari Can Never Be My President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.