Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,529 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out (10623 Views)

Nigeria Loses Billions Of Naira As Customs E-auction Platform Collapses / Russia-Ukraine Crisis Fuelling Surge In Food Prices – Buhari / Tambuwal: Buhari’s Exclusion Of South-East Is Fuelling Insecurity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by Bluffly: 1:08pm On Sep 05, 2022
TenQ:

If you were the inventor of the mobile phone, you would have said ":

"Everyone must not have a phone!"

I think it's a wrong mindset: in a prosperous nation, everyone is ABLE to afford to purchase a vehicle.

Never a wrong mindset. It is a correct ascertion. Your comparison does not justify as Vehicle and use of mobile phone are not of same usage classificafion of importance. In recent times, Mobile phone has become a basic means of one-to-one real-time communication unlike a car in the environment of transportaion.
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by TYCO77: 2:44pm On Sep 05, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
wizzybobo:

https://leadership.ng/customs-e-valuation-policy-fuelling-smuggling-motor-dealers-cry-out/

Patronize made in Nigeria vehicles. It's a good development for our local automobile manufacturing industries, and will also boost and encourage local automobile accessories(battery, tyre, windshield, headlamp,etc) manufacturing companies to crop up thereby creating employment opportunities for citizens.

This is one of Jonathan's brain child which clearing agents(mostly from certain region of this country) been deceived, kicked against and ignorantly voted him out of power due to selfish and parochial interest.
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by TenQ: 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2022
Bluffly:

Never a wrong mindset. It is a correct ascertion. Your comparison does not justify as Vehicle and use of mobile phone are not of same usage classificafion of importance. In recent times, Mobile phone has become a basic means of one-to-one real-time communication unlike a car in the environment of transportaion.
This was exactly what a minister in Nigeria said about mobile phones a few years back.
He said:
Not everyone should have a phone in Nigeria.

At that time Thuraya Phone and Nokia 3310 was reigning in Lagos.

Guess what!?
At that same time, okada riders and pepper sellers in Benin Republic were already using Mobile phones.

It is gross insensitivity to say that some Nigerians should remain so poor that they cannot afford even a third-hand vehicle.

Things some citizens have taken for granted is what we term as LUXURY in Nigeria due to nothing other than the gross POVERTY of our citizenry!
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by Bluffly: 4:15pm On Sep 05, 2022
TenQ:

This was exactly what a minister in Nigeria said about mobile phones a few years back.
He said:
Not everyone should have a phone in Nigeria.

At that time Thuraya Phone and Nokia 3310 was reigning in Lagos.

Guess what!?
At that same time, okada riders and pepper sellers in Benin Republic were already using Mobile phones.

It is gross insensitivity to say that some Nigerians should remain so poor that they cannot afford even a third-hand vehicle.

Things some citizens have taken for granted is what we term as LUXURY in Nigeria due to nothing other than the gross POVERTY of our citizenry!
There is a thin line in everything in life. Not buying a vehicle is not about poverty. There is a difference in basic need of life and want. There are many residents in Abuja for example who don't want to buy a vehicle but choose to commute with colleagues and colleagues as well are sometimes looking for who to hail with and drop their vehicles at times. But you cannot do same with phone so using the circumstances of mobile phones is not tenable.

Go to countries like Netherlands, People are not interested in buying vehicles, those that have do not drive it always because they can commute in the space of public transport that is safe, clean and accessible. We need to be enlightened and stop looking at everything from the angle of rich and poor but rather needs and wants

1 Like

Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by TenQ: 8:19pm On Sep 05, 2022
Bluffly:

There is a thin line in everything in life. Not buying a vehicle is not about poverty. There is a difference in basic need of life and want. There are many residents in Abuja for example who don't want to buy a vehicle but choose to commute with colleagues and colleagues as well are sometimes looking for who to hail with and drop their vehicles at times. But you cannot do same with phone so using the circumstances of mobile phones is not tenable.

Go to countries like Netherlands, People are not interested in buying vehicles, those that have do not drive it always because they can commute in the space of public transport that is safe, clean and accessible. We need to be enlightened and stop looking at everything from the angle of rich and poor but rather needs and wants
In a place like Italy, most people prefer to take the bus than take their cars to places.
When they buy vehicles at all, they buy small vehicles.
So many "big" people ride their bicycles to work.

However,
It's a choice rather than an inability to purchase a vehicle due to Poverty!

In Nigeria, when a person don't have a vehicle, it is because he doesn't have the financial muscle to do so. The average citizen is so POOR that it takes a lot to purchase a vehicle.

Just look at average low income in USA and the cost of used cars. A poor American can buy a car if and when he chooses to. This is not the same in Nigeria.
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by COMPAQ(m): 8:36pm On Sep 05, 2022
nedekid:

For real, I hear the cheapest car to clear now cost minimum 1.1m!
I was with a friend last week at Sam's yard. Container loading point in rainham. He loaded 2 cars and was complaining of the clearing cost. That the cheapest car to clear was ₦1.1m upwards. That they are evaluated as 2013. So you buy a 2003 car but you pay 2013 duty! All he complained about was the increased cost of clearing and that if you have a car in Nigeria, keep it well cost the rising cost will make it difficult for Nigerians to buy.
He said our leaders were all gov pikin that never struggled for money so are insensitive to the plight of ordinary Nigerians.
Do you know we are poorer than people in the UK, yet we pay more for cars than they do?

How do you pay more for cars than those in UK.
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by COMPAQ(m): 8:42pm On Sep 05, 2022
CocoaOla:
apc does not mean well for nigerian

Nigerians are now turned to rag slave in their own land. jalopy car cost 5m now cars are cheaper everywhere else except Nigeria.
more inflations more poverties
minimum wages remain 30k

standard of living zero

car sold for 800k a year ago now 4m welcome to the land of the dead's nothing works

government is behind this inflation sinking Nigerians into deep abject poverty

In case your head has been buried in the sand for a while. Look up and read the news for a change. There is massive inflation going on pretty much everywhere in the world. A loaf of bread I bought in the US for 88 cents 6 months ago is now $1.35
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by Bluffly: 8:58pm On Sep 05, 2022
TenQ:

In a place like Italy, most people prefer to take the bus than take their cars to places.
When they buy vehicles at all, they buy small vehicles.
So many "big" people ride their bicycles to work.

However,
It's a choice rather than an inability to purchase a vehicle due to Poverty!

In Nigeria, when a person don't have a vehicle, it is because he doesn't have the financial muscle to do so. The average citizen is so POOR that it takes a lot to purchase a vehicle.

Just look at average low income in USA and the cost of used cars. A poor American can buy a car if and when he chooses to. This is not the same in Nigeria.

I concluded by mentioning been enlightened. In this countries they do not buy a car as a proof of been able to do so they buy it based on their needs before ever considering luxury which is the other way round here.
The America you mentioned, the poor buys cars that are 15 to 20 years old with issues to manage and not the clean type you expect most to be buying here.
To shock you, the poor are not really keen on having a car but are constrained to do so because America USA transport system isnt there yet. And mind you old cars are the most expensive way to own a car as it torments the owners economy and life and this is the life of that poor american you mentioned.

The poor in USA is classified as someone earning below $36 a day and there is also what they classify as deep poverty.

Let me shock you. Anyone in Nigeria according to the average standard of the USA earning 8m below annually is poor, half of this is considered deep poverty, and half of this is as well.considerd abject poverty.

So going by this Nigeria must define its own poverty levels in order not to confuse our sense of reasoning and thereafter use it to determine who can afford whatever within set limits
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by nedekid: 9:16pm On Sep 05, 2022
COMPAQ:

How do you pay more for cars than those in UK.
Eg, a person in the UK buys a cheap used late model car for 2k pounds. Ie @825 per pound. It cost him 1.650m.
You as a naija man buys same car, you pay same 2k pounds. You then ship it to naija for eg 800 to 1000.
That same car will cost you minimum 1.2m to clear.
₦1,650,000(cost of purchase+825,000(shipping)+1,200,000(clearing)= ₦3,675,000.
For an old banger scrappy car.
As I wrote earlier I saw a hyundai kona car at a dealership, 2k deposit and you pay between 200 and 300 pounds monthly. Drive of with a 2022 model electric car.
That same car I priced last year August in naija and it was ₦27m. Probably cost more now because of inflation.
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by TenQ: 9:27pm On Sep 05, 2022
Bluffly:

I concluded by mentioning been enlightened. In this countries they do not buy a car as a proof of been able to do so they buy it based on their needs before ever considering luxury which is the other way round here.
The America you mentioned, the poor buys cars that are 15 to 20 years old with issues to manage and not the clean type you expect most to be buying here.
To shock you, the poor are not really keen on having a car but are constrained to do so because America USA transport system isnt there yet. And mind you old cars are the most expensive way to own a car as it torments the owners economy and life and this is the life of that poor american you mentioned.

The poor in USA is classified as someone earning below $36 a day and there is also what they classify as deep poverty.

Let me shock you. Anyone in Nigeria according to the average standard of the USA earning 8m below annually is poor, half of this is considered deep poverty, and half of this is as well.considerd abject poverty.

So going by this Nigeria must define its own poverty levels in order not to confuse our sense of reasoning and thereafter use it to determine who can afford whatever within set limits
Our poverty level is "excruciatingly" terrible because we live in a global economy where we buy our necessities at international market price. For instance our phones, electronics, cars, manufacturing equipment, raw materials etc. In a country where we don't produce most of what we consume, it makes us worse than poor.

Our average living standards in Nigeria can pass for the worst of slums in other climes.

If our public transport system is manageable, I will agree with you that Nigerians don't need to have personal Vehicles.
Our road network make to impossible for an efficient public transportation network.
Our rail system is completely inadequate and not even efficient.

The public is then at the mercy of their own hustle.

If we have an irresponsible government, the citizens become orphans who have to take care of themselves.

This spills out to other sectors of our lives in Nigeria. The average household is responsible to providing their own water, security, electricity and sometimes even road network. These, no Nigerians should have to worry about (including transportation) alas..!

You see my point!?

1 Like

Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by AbuAeesha: 9:48pm On Sep 05, 2022
wizzybobo:
Hmmm

How I wish innoson cars were cheap. This leaves us with no other option of getting cheaper cars than to follow molue up and down.
do u have idea,cost of innoson most affordable car?
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by Bluffly: 9:50pm On Sep 05, 2022
TenQ:

Our poverty level is "excruciatingly" terrible because we live in a global economy where we buy our necessities at international market price. For instance our phones, electronics, cars, manufacturing equipment, raw materials etc. In a country where we don't produce most of what we consume, it makes us worse than poor.

Our average living standards in Nigeria can pass for the worst of slums in other climes.

If our public transport system is manageable, I will agree with you that Nigerians don't need to have personal Vehicles.
Our road network make to impossible for an efficient public transportation network.
Our rail system is completely inadequate and not even efficient.

The public is then at the mercy of their own hustle.

If we have an irresponsible government, the citizens become orphans who have to take care of themselves.

This spills out to other sectors of our lives in Nigeria. The average household is responsible to providing their own water, security, electricity and sometimes even road network. These, no Nigerians should have to worry about (including transportation) alas..!

You see my point!?
Nigeria will be great
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by CocoaOla: 1:29am On Sep 06, 2022
COMPAQ:

In case your head has been buried in the sand for a while. Look up and read the news for a change. There is massive inflation going on pretty much everywhere in the world. A loaf of bread I bought in the US for 88 cents 6 months ago is now $1.35

Because standard of living, HDI level and minimum wages is the same

Mumu BMC
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by TenQ: 4:30am On Sep 06, 2022
Bluffly:

Nigeria will be great
Amen!

I pray that we are able to establish a new governing system that reward production rather than consumption, healthy competition rather than division, quality rather than mediocrity and wealth to the people rather than poverty!

Amen again and again!!

1 Like

Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by COMPAQ(m): 8:37am On Sep 07, 2022
CocoaOla:

Because standard of living, HDI level and minimum wages is the same

Mumu BMC

Standard of living was not my point! The point I made was that there is GLOBAL INFLATION at the moment, not only in Nigeria. And people are complaining everywhere. Simple! Learn to stay on point!

You are type that they ask A in exam, you start writing answer in response to B that nobody asked you.
Re: Customs E-valuation Policy Fuelling Smuggling, Motor Dealers Cry Out by CocoaOla: 9:46am On Sep 07, 2022
COMPAQ:

Standard of living was not my point! The point I made was that there is GLOBAL INFLATION at the moment, not only in Nigeria. And people are complaining everywhere. Simple! Learn to stay on point!

You are type that they ask A in exam, you start writing answer in response to B that nobody asked you.

Don't compare inflation in other countries with Nigeria many countries around the had wages increments to absorb the harsh realities unlike Nigeria that did nothing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port / Igbo And Yoruba Collaboration Can Change Nigeria, If They Bury The Hatchet. / PDP Chairmanship: Mimiko, Fayose Disowned By South-West PDP Exco Disowned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.