Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,346 members, 7,836,416 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi (21171 Views)

12 Members Of The CBN’s Monetary Policy Committee (Full List) / Malami: I Can't Advice On Monetary Policy / Contractionary Monetary Policy Cannot Solve The Problem Of Inflation In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by tishbite42: 11:33pm On Sep 05, 2022
BurialGround:

Urchins are disappointed because Obi didn't tell CBN to print more money to stop inflation. grin
Atin na Tinubu talk dis nonsense during Corona period
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Emmacolinho(m): 11:36pm On Sep 05, 2022
Chymummy89:
Hello... obidient in the house . Una own person for BBN is up this week for eviction. Try to vote for him. Start ur obidient from there. Don't allow APC and pdp to finally label obidient social media party. Campaign for him. Obidient children can do it. Vote for eloswan.....
madamu we are not joking here sad
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:36pm On Sep 05, 2022
reddingtonblack:

Talk is cheap, by the way peter obi "i will" "we will" is becoming stale, i think nigerians should be done with promises by now, GEJ promised us heaven & earth same as APC/Buhari where did that land us.

Most of the solutions Peter Obi proffer are non tested solutions, just like someone reading from an economics textbook whereas nigeria problems are broad & terrestial, how about Peter Obi should tell us more about things he has done either as a governor or business mogul that if replicated will fix, these where Tinubh has more leverage cos he sells ideas/solutions that have worked for him

When will your candidate tell us how he will handle economy?
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:37pm On Sep 05, 2022
casualobserver:

do you actually understand what he is saying? The man is clueless!! but ofcourse his supporters are too dumb to understand what he just tweeted. I am sure Obi himself does not understand what he just posted probably Utomi who told him what to type.

Well let me explain to you idiots. The Nigerian economy needs expansionist policies not contractionary monetary policies. The ley word there for those of you who have a brain is "contraction". you use contractionary monetary policies when your economy is overheating and there is inflation, like currently exists in the US. Nigeria's inflation isnt caused by an overheating economy, it is caused largely by imported inflation due to plummeting exchange rate. You dont solve that problem by contracting the economy, what you will then induce is stagflation or depression, a situation where the economy is contracting due to tightening of liquidity in the economy and inflation is still rising (because the primary cause of inflation (devaluating currency) is not adressed.

It shows the man and his team have absolutely no understanding of how economies work!! I am dissapointed in Utomi if he has a hand in this, I thought he was more intelligent than this. If only Obi knew how much of a fool he has just made himself look in front of knowledgeable people!!
Are you the one contesting? When will your candidate grant interview? Eeeh Mr Noah?
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by casualobserver: 11:37pm On Sep 05, 2022
sanpipita:

lol you think you know economics more than Peter Obi

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/economics/contractionary-monetary-policy/

You really are daft. Its amazing how idiots with their own hands provide the evidence to convict themselves!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Parachoko: 11:38pm On Sep 05, 2022
vicshub:
All these only data having urchins. Do you know what 70% inflation is. How did you do your calcultion (that's if you know any form of arithmetic). Did you put in view our GDP, external reserves and market forces of that time and now? Show me your parameters. I guess not. You are too dumb to do that as an urchin. Google and paste people. If you don't know anything, say it and you will be thought. Olodo oshi
You're the most foolish person on Nairaland grin

For you to be asking me this kind of questions shows how shallow you are

You have no idea of this issue you want to engage yourself in. You're so dumb and shallow, this issue you're engaging yourself in, is beyond your capacity.

I won't be wasting my time with you again because I can't believe a sane person will be asking this kind of questions grin

Please go and sleep

Ask your father tomorrow why inflation was that high under Abacha, in 1993 and 1994, inflation was above 50%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by macrodata(m): 11:41pm On Sep 05, 2022
GodsOwnMan:
cheesy he doesn't even know what he is talking about, 3rd class graduate oshi cheesy
Let's see your candidate's primary school cert.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by casualobserver: 11:41pm On Sep 05, 2022
vicshub:
you are the dumbest economist if you don't know that cbn expended all our external reserves just to covered up APC economic policies as regards import and production. Companies has folded up more in the last 7 years than in the last 30 years because of the government and its affiliates drastically reducing foreign exchange just to favour their own northern bureau de change. Banks will be short of dollars but abokis have unlimited amounts. May you and you family embody what APC is all about. Amen

Sometimes if a subject is above your pay grade, just keep quiet. It’s not everything you missy comment on. This is economics not BBNaija or Nollywood!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by awuri4: 11:42pm On Sep 05, 2022
Your mama smelling toto is 3rd grade.
GodsOwnMan:
cheesy he doesn't even know what he is talking about, 3rd class graduate oshi cheesy
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by yemmit90: 11:46pm On Sep 05, 2022
manutdrichie:
Now this is the only candidate that is ready

Do you even understand what Obi is saying at all?

I am not against him or have any prefer candidate, but Obi says nothing new or remarkable in his statements.

Dollar has always been functioning on the basis of demand and supply, and the government has always claims to create enable environment for foreign investors, so what is new here that other candidates has never said before?

It is quite obvious that the old method could still continue even if Obi win next year election.

Until we find a way to make dollar unattractive to arbitration, there is no way the forces of demand and supply or overall economy will solve the problems.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by bigpicture001: 11:47pm On Sep 05, 2022
Everything he said is good. Except for the allowing the market forces determine the exchange rate....

If that happens the dollar will immidaitely exchange for. 4k naira

We have to first increase our forex supply first.... If much forex don't enter the economy.. den the demand side will outweigh the supply side of the forex and naira will crash... I mean crash heavily

1 Like

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by grandstar(m): 11:47pm On Sep 05, 2022
Parachoko:
Have you suddenly forgotten the FG followed this your advise and is one of the reason we are were we are today?

Most of una just talk for talking sake
If not for the intervention of the Government, $1 will be ₦1500 by now, and people like you will wail

You are completely wrong! What Peter Obi said is the plain truth. That's what we've been using for years and it served the country very well until Buhari started dictating it

Let me see if you support Peter Obi or not. If you were sent $1,000 today, where will you change it: at the official rate of ₦425 or at the parallel rate of ₦700?
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Wisetrue99: 11:48pm On Sep 05, 2022
NaijaRoyalty:
Peter obi is an intelligent man and that's why Ex President Olusegun Obasanjo strongly believes in him
Suddenly Obasanjo is looking younger again

Obasanjo too na youth grin grin
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Rumobaba: 11:49pm On Sep 05, 2022
Nothing works in every economic policy, if there is no ethics and morals in a particular group and this was clearly stated in basic micro and macro Economics written by Oyibo man. There is no ethic and morals in every Nigerian Household, primary level, secondary level,universities, all the arms of Government, private businesses etc.... But still politicians come with Oyibo policies that can only work were there is ethics and morals and expect it to work in Naija.... Buhari is not good at all, but He brought the best policy......Change begin with me..... But we all thought it was a slogan.....

Our problem is that we want to wake up tomorrow morning and see that Nigeria is just as the same as the western World.. DREAMER
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by bigpicture001: 11:49pm On Sep 05, 2022
yemmit90:

Do you even understand what Obi is saying at all?

I am not against him or have any prefer candidate, but Obi says nothing new or remarkable in his statements.

Dollar has always been functioning on the basis of demand and supply, and the government has always claims to create enable environment for foreign investors, so what is new here that other candidates has never said before?

It is quite obvious that the old method could still continue even if Obi win next year election.

Until we find a way to make dollar unattractive to arbitration, there is no way the forces of demand and supply or overall economy will solve the problems.

He. May implement the policies of. The ex economic colounist... Bayo... Of lesleba.. ( save the naira, save Nigeria)

His will work
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by GodsOwnMan: 11:50pm On Sep 05, 2022
jamace:

You are a kid in life, irrespective of your age. Peter Obi is very grounded in economics.. cheesy

Here is my claim: Peter Peter Obi has ZERO degrees in economics.

Prove me wrong. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Flame77: 11:50pm On Sep 05, 2022
Esseite:

What then has worked for B?

Excellent question.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by jamace(m): 11:52pm On Sep 05, 2022
GodsOwnMan:

Here is my claim: Peter Peter Obi has ZERO degrees in economics.

Prove me wrong. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Nonsense.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Parachoko: 11:53pm On Sep 05, 2022
grandstar:

You are completely wrong! What Peter Obi said is the plain truth. That's what we've been using for years and it served the country very well until Buhari started dictating it

Let me see if you support Peter Obi or not. If you were sent $1,000 today, where will you change it: at the official rate of ₦425 or at the parallel rate of ₦700?
Do some of you guys have sense at all on this forum? I no even understand what you're talking about.

slivertongue:
Policy .

Let the exchange rate be determined by the forces of demand and supply.
See the comment I replied to... Wetin concern your comment with the comment I am replying to? What's the correlation between your comment and my comment?

Have the Govt. not try this before under Buhari? If the Government let the exchange rate to be determine by the forces of demand and supply, the Naira will totally collapse.

Some of you are just so shallow and your comments irritate me.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by LAFOCUZY: 11:55pm On Sep 05, 2022
fiizznation:
There is nothing fantastic about what he said. The man when to USA and heard about contractionary monetary policy (a kind of macroeconomic tool) that the USA adopt for their federal reserve, and boom, the man(obi) just assumed that such policy can work for Nigeria.

What works for A is not likely to work for B. There is a big difference between an economist who understands every dynamism of both micro/macro economics with someone who is a trader.

Stop the grammer. Which has the country ever implemented. Which original have they invented tailored to our need. Which has worked

Dubai, China, South Korea, Singapore , Malaysia etc all copied the west and have gone ahead.

It's intelligence to know how to copy good stuff, learn from others and implement. It's horrible when you can't copy your owe name even when spelt for you and placed before you...all you need is just copy it and select paste with destination format

Past government driven by these old men have been unable to simply copy good policies, ideas, innovation etc from other countries and simply paste it on the country. Why reinvent the wheel, when it turns perfectly well and you can see it. But these leaders who have seen this for years have been unable to copy it.

Horrible
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Parachoko: 11:55pm On Sep 05, 2022
grandstar:

What have we been using for years before Buhari started dictating?

I find it so hard to even understand what you're talking about

Is not compulsory to comment on every thread
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by bigpicture001: 11:56pm On Sep 05, 2022
[quote author=PJ123 post=116393343][/quote]

U say our inflation isn't caused by too much access to money or my h money in circulation..?

Where did or how easy did all the millions of POS operators get thier capital.. In in hundreds of thousands...

Do u know online loan firm's giv out hundreds of millions of dollars..?
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by sanpipita(m): 11:58pm On Sep 05, 2022
DesignMaestro:
It is obvious you don't understand his point. The contractionary monetary policy is used to reduce purchasing power of the people in an economy where excess demand has led to rise in price of goods and services (Inflation). This is done by reducing money in circulation.

In our own case, people's purchasing power is low. The inflation is caused by high cost of importation and insufficient local production. You can't reduce money in circulation in an economy where there is shortage of money already.

Expansionary monetary policy, which is the opposite of what he said, is even what we need right now to stimulate the economy and thereby raise the purchasing power of the people.

Expansionary monetary policy is what Buhari has been doing, that's why our inflation is high and currency value low, expansionary monetary policy you talk about will increase inflation, where is the purchasing power to handle an inflated economy, if we want to fight inflation contractionary policy is the way, many economists agree to this

2 Likes

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by ExudeLoveToAll: 11:59pm On Sep 05, 2022
KillSars:

Explain what he just posted... grin grin

Hahahaha, my rib.......

Nairaland is Savage.

You guys will not make heaven.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by sanpipita(m): 12:00am On Sep 06, 2022
casualobserver:

You really are daft. Its amazing how idiots with their own hands provide the evidence to convict themselves!!!!

Insults, do you realize for 7 years now Nigeria has been running on expansionary monetary policies and look at the results, do some research Peter Obi is spot on

1 Like

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by yemmit90: 12:02am On Sep 06, 2022
bigpicture001:

He. May implement the policies of. The ex economic colounist... Bayo... Of lesleba.. ( save the naira, save Nigeria)

His will work

Could you please explain this better sir.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by ExudeLoveToAll: 12:02am On Sep 06, 2022
GodsOwnMan:

How did you know he doesn't know what is up there ?

Wait a minute, it seems you are lost. Just get someone to expatriate.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by ExudeLoveToAll: 12:07am On Sep 06, 2022
jerseyboy:
OBI HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE HAS JUST SAID

You hope it was said by your preferred candidate.

Nigerians are difficult, someone puts up an interesting issue up there instead of you to accept or counter with a better viewz you put up @ bolded.

I have come to realize that most Nigerians don't want the status quo to change.

Pathetic.

1 Like

Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by Musauzor(m): 12:12am On Sep 06, 2022
Journalist: APC candidate, please,sir, could you tell us how you will curb unemployment in the country?
Tinubu: When I become president, I will fight unemployment by recruiting 50 million Nigerian youths into the army and be feeding them with agbado, cassava, ewa, that's what they will eat.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by vicshub(m): 12:14am On Sep 06, 2022
casualobserver:

Sometimes if a subject is above your pay grade, just keep quiet. It’s not everything you missy comment on. This is economics not BBNaija or Nollywood!!!
exactly. Keep quiet �.
Re: I Will Use A Contractionary Monetary Policy To Fight Inflation - Peter Obi by J0r0hh: 12:14am On Sep 06, 2022
ike007:
And the other one is saying Agbado, yam Harris and cassava.....i didn't mention names o..and no be me talk am o
What did u even understand by what he stated?

How do you even want to change the economy, when there is no light, no roads... And you are soeaking english

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Osun 2022: Aregbesola Declares War, Criticizes Oyetola, Tinubu, Akande / Official Commissioning Of International Conference Centre Awka(video&photos) / Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.