Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,805 members, 7,862,663 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:22 PM

Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months (754 Views)

Southeast Records lowest in out of school in Nigeria Northwest Recorded Highes / Niger, Ogun And Plateau Debt Profile Witnessed The Highest Surge 2020 (photo) / Ondo State Records Highest performing IGR Growth in Nigeria (see full list) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Biodun556(m): 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2022
Southeast records highest surge in food prices for three straight months

Eniola Olatunji
Sep 5, 2022
Food prices
States in the Southeast region - Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, and Imo have recorded the highest surge in food prices
States in the Southeast region – Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, and Imo have recorded the highest surge in food prices for the third time in July 2022, BusinessDay’s analysis shows.

Further analysis of the selected food prices report from May July released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) shows that beans, beef, bread, onion, palm oil, garri, rice, tomato, wheat and yam tuber were the food items that recorded the highest

Food inflation, the major driver of the country’s headline inflation for the period, followed a bullish path in the past three months with the south-eastern states recording the highest surge amongst the 44 listed selected food prices by NBS.

In May, June and July of the 44 listed food items the south-eastern states recorded the highest number of states with the highest food prices in Nigeria, appearing 23,23 and 19 times respectively.

Here is the breakdown of how the southeast recorded the highest food price in the three months.

The total prices of these food items; beans, beef, bread, onion, palm oil, garri, rice, tomato, wheat and yam for the three month in the southeast was N25,699 followed by the southsouth N22,065 , the Northwest came third with N 21,126 Southwest was fourth place with N21,024 followed by the Northcentral with a total price of N15,237. The Northeast had the lowest price with a total of N13,767.
https://businessday.ng/business-economy/article/southeast-records-highest-surge-in-food-prices-for-three-straight-months/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by PresidObi: 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2022
Population increase. The growth of the population in the south east is still surprising to everyone. Consumption always rises when demand soars, and costs rise with it.

It's not only food prices that has been rising, cost of accommodation is also very high, upon all the speed of housing developments, there has been more people searching for newer houses, especially people looking to settle down in new marriages.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Biodun556(m): 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2022
Ipob has finished south east

The foods affected majorly come from the north, and ipob and Biafra has no alternative

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by LeoDeKing: 4:21pm On Sep 06, 2022
Abiama bress Mazi Simon Ekpa and Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

May they live long to continue this fight for the next 50 years.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Biodun556(m): 4:21pm On Sep 06, 2022
Even Boko Haram is not causing food crises

6 Likes

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by PresidObi: 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2022
The good thing is that many people have been going into agriculture in the south east. They need more farming and food production there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by PresidObi: 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2022
Another thing to blame is foreign exchange increases, food prices will always increase as foreign currency rises.

Food is largely transported from farms, and the cost of transportation will be rising as spare parts and fuel costs rises.

Let's also not forget that some food production machines are imported, with foreign exchange, and that will raise food prices more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Biodun556(m): 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2022
PresidObi:
The good thing is that many people have been going into agriculture in the south east. They need more farming and food production there.

Keeping decieving yourself till you start seeing kwashiorkor

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by QuotaSystem: 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2022
beans
beef
onion
rice
tomato
wheat and yam tuber were the food items that recorded the highest

These are all grown and sourced from up North.

The activities of ipob terrorists and onion bandits in the East have surely contributed to this.

I wonder what they expected banning cows and attacking northern food trucks would result in.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by cherishmichael: 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2022
Nawaa ooo
Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by lhordspy: 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2022
Ndn
Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by PresidObi: 4:34pm On Sep 06, 2022
Biodun556:

Keeping decieving yourself till you start seeing kwashiorkor

My farm harvests today

I have lands to farm, and so do most other people in Nigeria. Hunger shouldn't be an issue in this country.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by oyin44: 4:36pm On Sep 06, 2022
Kanu has brought disaster to them.. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Biodun556(m): 4:37pm On Sep 06, 2022
PresidObi:

My farm harvests today

I have lands to farm, and so do most other people in Nigeria. Hunger shouldn't be an issue in this country.

You try

What of rice and yam?

And this your cassava may not last you and your family past 6 months

3 Likes

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Armaggedon: 4:38pm On Sep 06, 2022
Statistics indeed
Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by ElSudani: 4:40pm On Sep 06, 2022
UGM and IPOB have the south-east in a chokehold. Same folks thumping their noses at agbado and cassava. What is akpu made of again?

2 Likes

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Islandlady(f): 4:44pm On Sep 06, 2022
PresidObi:

My farm harvests today

I thought in Alaigbo you guys don't eat Agbado and Cassava undecided

4 Likes

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by BATified2023: 4:47pm On Sep 06, 2022
PresidObi:
what u don’t understand is that when insecurity is on d rise,there will b shortages of supplies of different products thereby leading to hoarding n in that case inflation will set in cos once u sell the little ones u have how will u restock?

It’s obvious many of u are kids who don’t really understand how economy n insecurity works hand in hand

This is the same scenario that played out during the civil war that led to famine n starvation

3 Likes

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Biodun556(m): 4:47pm On Sep 06, 2022
Islandlady:
I thought in Alaigbo you guys don't eat Agbado and Cassava undecided

grin

5 Likes

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by PresidObi: 5:08pm On Sep 06, 2022
Biodun556:

You try

What of rice and yam?

And this your cassava may not last you and your family past 6 months

I have a rice farm, but will wait till end of month to plant the ones I will harvest by end of December. All my associates are now farming. Food is abundant when we all try.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by femisplash: 6:13pm On Sep 06, 2022
PresidObi:

My farm harvests today

We thought you guys hate cassava?.. So, you can't do without abacha & garri. Zombidients & fish brain.

4 Likes

Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by techWriter3: 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2022
Even Boko Haram is not triggering food crises
Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Biodun556(m): 8:17pm On Sep 06, 2022
H
Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by Hyperchi(m): 8:40pm On Sep 06, 2022
Why not look at import duties, cost of transporting goods to SE, police checkpoint, it takes most ppl 2days to move their goods to SE due to checkpoint and bribe.
Re: Southeast Records Highest Surge In Food Prices For Three Straight Months by tiger28: 9:15pm On Sep 06, 2022
Sit at home is the major enemy here.

Another is the Intra-terrorism in SE has made it a No-go Area.

Sad!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

99% Of People In Remote Villages We Met Are Supporting Obi IN PLATEAU STATE / Is The Office Of Uk's Prime Minister Been Downgraded? / Tinubu Sued By American Government For Drug Dealing: Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.