Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Beninoise President Urges Jonathan To Include Country As 37th State Of Nig. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beninoise President Urges Jonathan To Include Country As 37th State Of Nig. (1426 Views)

REPS Amends PIB To Include The Entire Country As ‘host Community’ Of Petroleum. / Grant Presidential Pardon To Ibori, Ijaw Group Urges Jonathan - VANGUARD / Nigeria President Urges Boko Haram To Come Out And Talk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beninoise President Urges Jonathan To Include Country As 37th State Of Nig. by Babasessy(m): 10:36am On Aug 10, 2011
Beninoise President urges Jonathan to include country as 37th state

President Boni Yayi of Republic of Benin has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to include his country as the 37th state of Nigeria in terms of political and economic support.

Yayi made the appeal yesterday when he paid a thank-you-visit to former President Olusegun Obasanjo in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital. The President noted that Nigeria has been a political and economic pillar to his country, saying that Nigeria has more than two million people out of the nine million population in the Republic of Benin. His words: “When I came to Jonathan’s inauguration in Abuja, I asked him to include Benin as one of the Nigeria’s states in terms of financial and economic support. I asked him to also tour Benin Republic as Nigeria’s 37th state when touring the states that make up Nigeria.”

Yayi recalled that he made similar request in 2006 when he paid a visit to Obasanjo as President. He said: “When I came on April 22, 2006 after my inauguration I told him that my father (Obasanjo), help me; you know Nigeria has 36 states, but for me this is not true; Nigeria has 37 states. President Obasanjo asked me where the 37th state is. I told him it is Benin; Benin is the 37th state of Nigeria. What is important for me is that, President Obasanjo is our President in Benin. When he was in power, his vision was how to link the two states economically which is very important for us in Africa.”

Yayi said he intend to exchange notes with President Jonathan on how to “bring our people together, how do we work towards one same currency, how do we make sure that we build an era of prosperity for our people, so it is very important”. He also said that the borders between the two countries are just colonial artificial borders which must not be allowed to “divide ourselves or create unnecessary problems.” Yayi commended Obasanjo for his fatherly role which, he said, had helped to sustain the Republic of Benin as a nation. The President also condemned the sit-tight syndrome of some African leaders who want to remain in power for life.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/politics/18256.html
Re: Beninoise President Urges Jonathan To Include Country As 37th State Of Nig. by Arosa(m): 10:42am On Aug 10, 2011
Benin republic should feel free to join Naija the more the merrier.
Re: Beninoise President Urges Jonathan To Include Country As 37th State Of Nig. by hakanai(m): 10:43am On Aug 10, 2011
Mr man you are better off as Benin.When you get infected by the Naija syndrome you will find it hard to be cured!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Doubt any cure for it sha!!!! Corruption,insecurity,dis harmony and visionless champions
Re: Beninoise President Urges Jonathan To Include Country As 37th State Of Nig. by KnowAll(m): 3:03pm On Aug 10, 2011
They should drop French and make English their official Language like Rwanda. When you want to merge with another country economically and to some extent politically all hurdles must be removed.

Because of that silly language barrier, most Nigerians abandons Benin, and Togo for their onward journey and sojourn in Ghana. Nigerians have enough graduates that are unemployed who can be deployed to Benin to teach them English, it would be more beneficial to Benin if they can drop French fast. The French themselves these days have a network TV station broadcasting in English 24 hours of the day.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos On Fire, Fuel Subsidy Protest. / Tactics Change By Boko Haram: To Begin Kidnap Of Wives, Children Of Top Governme / Comandant AFCSC Jaji And Corp Comander Sacked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.