Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,400 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth (1184 Views)

Chris Ngige Shows Off His Dance Skills At Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu (video) / Akanu Ibiam Airport: Enugu Govt Demolishes Structures Encroaching On Land / Governor Ugwuanyi Inspects Rehabilitation Of Akanu Ibiam Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by cr8v(f): 3:36am On Sep 09, 2022
Before you condemn the tweet by @UjuAnya you need to read this letter from Dr. Akanu Ibiam who hails from present day Ebonyi State. Its a long read and I have abridged it. You will understand why so many Igbos though successful still carry the wounds of the war in their heart more especially because till today, Nigeria as a state is still fighting a cold war with the Igbos.

Deeply hurt by Britain’s overwhelming support for Nigeria to crush the Republic of Biafra, Dr Ibiam renounced and returned to the British head of state the three insignias of knighthood that both she and her father, King George VI, had earlier conferred on the esteemed missionary physician for services to church and state.

Just slightly over forty-nine years ago to the day, in August 1967, the venerable Dr Akanu Ibiam, christian missionary physician, erudite theologian and statesperson who had worked for 30 years in the Church of Scotland/Presbyterian Church rural medical programmes across central and east regions of Biafra, wrote a 20-paragraph historic letter to Queen Elizabeth II of England.

THE LETTER(Abridged Below)

I am deeply and humbly constrained to present you with this letter. For many years, indeed throughout my mature life, I had been a proud but disinterested admirer of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and her peoples. The history of Your Majesty’s country is replete with heroism, discoveries which were near miracles, and institutions of higher learning of the most outstanding character and achievement. Britain, though insular and small in size and capacity, had centuries ago proved conclusively, to the world that for any community and nation to reach the acme of greatness and respectability, it is not quantity that counts but quality and the type of people who make up the nation.

...For these great honours and special recognitions, I am humbly grateful to Your Majesty and Your Majesty's Britannic Government. They are a happy reflection of the importance of Africa and her people before God and man. Howbeit, I must renounce all of them at this time. I do so to register the strongest protest at my command against Your Majesty's Government of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland for supplying military equipment and arms to Nigeria which has waged a senseless and futile war of aggression against my country, the Republic of Biafra. My objection and protest are directed solely and entirely to the British Government because I believe that the staunch British friends of Africa, particularly the CHURCH, and informed British public opinion will deplore this unkindly act of the British Government to the Republic of Biafra. With the highest sense of responsibility, therefore, and bearing clearly in my own mind the moral issues which are at stake, and my own stand thereat, I return the insignia and paraphernalia of my title to Your Majesty’s Britannic Government through the British Deputy High Commissioner who is resident here in Enugu - the capital city of the Republic of Biafra.

The people of Biafra are, therefore, fighting a war of LIBERATION AND SURVIVAL. We adamantly refuse to be colonized by the Hausa/Fulanis of Northern Nigeria or any other people in the world. Moreover it is an ardent desire of the Hausa/Fulani and Moslem Northern Nigeria to subjugate Biafra and kill Christianity in our country.

Your Majesty, the British officials in Nigeria are fully aware of all these. They know that we are injured and deeply grieved people and had been cruelly treated by our erstwhile fellow citizens of Federal Republic of Nigeria. The British officials not only knew the crux of the matter, but they also encouraged Northern Nigeria to carry out and execute their nefarious plan against us. They are angry with Biafra because Biafra categorically refused to remain as part of the Nigeria federation and political unit only to be trampled upon, discriminated against and hated, ruthlessly exploited and denied her rights and privileges, and slaughtered whenever it suited the whims and caprices of the favoured people of Northern Nigeria. To add insult to injury, Your Majesty’s Britannic Government, instead of being neutral in our quarrels or finding ways and means to mediate and bring peace to the two countries, has now taken it upon herself to supply military aid to Nigeria to help them defeat and subjugate Biafra.

It is simply staggering for a Christian country like Britain to help a Moslem country militarily to crush another Christian country like Biafra. This is just too much for me, Your Gracious Majesty, this act of unfriendliness and treachery by the British Government towards the people of Republic of Biafra who, as Eastern Nigerians, had so much regard for Britain and British people.

In the circumstance, Your Majesty, I no longer wish to wear the garb of the British Knighthood. British fairplay, British justice, and the Englishman’s word of honour which Biafra loved so much and cherished have become meaningless to Biafrans in general and to me in particular. Christian Britain has shamelessly let down Christian Biafra.

I love the Republic of Biafra very dearly and pray that, by grace of God, she may remain and continue to grow and live and always act like a truly Christian country for all times.

I am, Your Majesty

Yours Most Respectfully,
(AKANU IBIAM)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by cr8v(f): 3:48am On Sep 09, 2022
Don't be quick to condemn because its not your tribe. If you support injustice because it doesnt affect you, one day it will get to you and there would be no one to speak for you. Think well before you comment

5 Likes

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by Oxb90: 3:56am On Sep 09, 2022
Some people whose parents are not even married talk more of them being born when this letter was written jump on any thread the Igbo name was mentioned with a negative mind to attack, can see for themselves how the majority of Igbos have been feeling since over 45 years ago.

Some who have not left their state of origin talk more of dining with who is who in far away Britain or the world in general will want to attack the personality that wrote this letter.
The Igbos are great archivers and it's not their fault. Imagine how long they have been marginalized, yet they are where they are today.

Kudos to great men and women of Igbo extraction who have not sold their birthright or their concience for a plate of porridge. History will forever be kind to you and your generations.

Long live the IGBOS.

5 Likes

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by fulaniHERDSman(m): 4:05am On Sep 09, 2022
Let the White WITCH ROT in HELL.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by Nobody: 4:08am On Sep 09, 2022
Her business
Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by Nobody: 4:41am On Sep 09, 2022
Nigerians will sha trend with this queen’s death
Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by zeuss: 4:53am On Sep 09, 2022
Legacy is with us to appreciate.
Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by bjtinz: 5:01am On Sep 09, 2022
I was waiting to read how the late queen ordered troops to massacre the Biafra people.

Let's face it, Dr Uju goofed terribly here. Her post was needlessly bitter and solves absolutely nothing!!
Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by gidgiddy: 5:04am On Sep 09, 2022
Although I know that Dr Akanu Ibiam returned his Knighthood to the Queen, I never read the accompanying letter until now

The regrettable thing about the letter is that not much has changed 55 years on

Today, Nigeria is still being dominated and subjugated by the Northern caliphate and people are still fighting to free themselves from it

Nigeria was never a nation, and is a country on paper only

3 Likes

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by derecho(m): 6:13am On Sep 09, 2022
Hmmmn..
What caught my attention was "islamization" agenda he saw...

The people of Biafra are, therefore, fighting a war of LIBERATION AND SURVIVAL. We adamantly refuse to be colonized by the Hausa/Fulanis of Northern Nigeria or any other people in the world. Moreover it is an ardent desire of the Hausa/Fulani and Moslem Northern Nigeria to subjugate Biafra and kill Christianity in our country.

Unedited History must return to our schools.

1 Like

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by Blake755: 6:16am On Sep 09, 2022
I don't give a damn about the queen abi nah wenti the have done Africa as a whole more harm than good
Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by Nobody: 6:31am On Sep 09, 2022
Africans are fools...who in Africa in his right mind will cry for the monarch....seriously are we ok

the queen did good for her kingdom and subjects by taking all we have

1 Like

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:17am On Sep 09, 2022
Thank you Akanu Ibiam.

1 Like

Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by nkeona(m): 8:25am On Sep 09, 2022
bjtinz:
I was waiting to read how the late queen ordered troops to massacre the Biafra people.

Let's face it, Dr Uju goofed terribly here. Her post was needlessly bitter and solves absolutely nothing!!
Yeah even the Irish and the Indians that don't give a fu*k about the queens death and wished her endless torment in hell goofed. assliker*
Re: A Letter From Dr Akanu Ibiam To Queen Elizabeth by Amb1045(m): 8:26am On Sep 09, 2022
God will judge them all

(1) (Reply)

I Never Endorsed Obi, Says Falae / Peter Obi Visits Word Of Life Bible Church, Warri / Video: Atiku Storms Jigawa, Donates N50m To Flood Victims.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.