Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,263 members, 7,811,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated (28383 Views)

Top 5 Most Underrated Artist In Nigeria (opinion) / Billboard Called Wizkid Songs “Yoruba Music” On Their Official Twitter Page / Top 5 Songs We Thought Would Be A Hit But Came Out As Thrash In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by EntPublisher001: 7:55am On Sep 09, 2022
In the light of Wizkid’s upcoming 4th studio album, “More Love, Less Ego” which was rumoured to be released later this year, We at TrendyBeatz bring to you a list of Wizkid’s most underrated songs. In clear terms — these songs were curated on the basis that, even though some of these tracks were loved by many, they deserved more recognition and international exposure than they got. Ride with us.

Ayo Balogun, popularly known as Wizkid and now morphed into a bigger reformation as Big Wiz, dominated the copious cultural relevance and acclaim for his sweet, calm melodies at a time when the music industry was less hectic with different afrobeat musicians. After the social media revolution, his relevance began to be noticed on a more global scale, from being just an EME’s gem to becoming one of the biggest wonders of African music.

Rising from Surulere, Wizkid didn’t just erupt as a random musician; Banky W gave the young starboy a platform at a time when he was about building one of the most formidable faculties in the music business in Nigeria alongside artists like Niyola, Shaydee, and Skales. It’s a general knowledge that Wizkid has one of the most impressive catalogues from any Nigerian afrobeats musician, with three solid album projects and over sixty singles.

1. Thank You

“Thank you” was arguably one of the best things to happen to African music in 2012. At the time it was released, the tune didn’t get the number of flowers it deserved, but it will forever remain a party tune— a classic and evergreen song.

There’s something special about the “Thank You” song. Aside from that, Wizkid dedicated the song as an appreciative track to his fans for their unflinching support. He also appreciated God for his journey throughout his short achievement at that time. It was an excellent record, but it didn’t get enough recognition.

2. “For Me” Featuring Wande Coal

As their first collaboration, “For me” was released on the 12th of June in 2011 and with this song, you can probably understand the extent of the duo’s artistic collaborations. This particular song is a collaboration that did not receive enough merit and, without a doubt, remains one of the best collaborations we had in the last decade.

The duo flowed on a seamless harmonic sound against a bouncy and ecstatic beat, mostly filled with Yoruba lyrics. Most DJs who knew their onions back then used this song in the club to get a rousing reaction from the party-goers. But unfortunately, it didn’t make the numbers it truly deserved.

3. Lagos Vibes

If there exists a ranking for Wizkid’s underrated music, Lagos Vibes should top the chart as the most criminally underrated song of his lifetime. The love charge song was produced by Spotless and regarded by most fans as Wizkid in his best form of singing. The song, which was baked with afrobeat laced guitar ticks is one of those love songs made to throw shoes away, vibe and dance like you don’t own your legs.

Despite the sonic undertones of this record, we need to know why this song wasn’t played by every existing DJ and Radio station in 2018. It was the perfect blend of Afropop.

4. Wizkid - Picture Perfect

We had to add this number to the list, as not only is it a hugely underrated jam that we don’t get to hear enough in the clubs. If “Picture Perfect” was meant to be a ‘test the water’ project for Wizkid to sound pop, then he must have surely learnt how to swim by now. This track is a single from Wizkid’s “Sound from the Other Side” album.

In this record, Wizkid expresses himself in this slow love song which has this Afropop background sound to it. It was one of the last landmarked songs of Wizkid’s first act. On the single, he is in ebullient mode as he pontificates about love and compatibility. We know this song deserves more numbers than it does have, and we’d give anything to get visuals for this masterpiece.

Now the question is, why is this song not a national romance anthem?

5. Wizkid — Jam ft Chronix

The chemistry between Wizkid and Chronix in “Jam” is insane. After the Soundman EP, It became crystal clear that WizKid’s sound had evolved; he no longer bothered about following trends to make hits. He just sings from his soul and expresses himself effortlessly.

Beyond the “wanna-be pop-star” apparel that Ayo Balogun sometimes wears, one could tell that he’s truly a beautiful, sweet and soft songwriter. This is evident in this track. Wizkid was serving vocals and harmonies, but it didn’t blow as expected.

6. Wizkid ft Masterkraft Odoo

This particular Jam is a typical example of a bop that was loved by many but was easily forgotten. This duo gave us this melodiously vibrant piece, but the song was not one of those that every DJ is spinning in the club; neither did it get that international appeal that would have suited the entire vibe.

One could guess maybe it’s the reason Wizkid didn’t make a visual for it; it just never got the clout that it rightly deserves.

7. Sisi Nene

If you’re looking for a perfect encapsulation of Wizkid’s star power circa 2012, “Sisi Nene” might be the most potent example there is. One of Wizkid’s earliest releases under Banky W’s “EME” record label.

At the time, glossiness was already etched into the DNA of popular Nigerian music, but Wizkid — with the help of the producer, Jay Sleek — took things up a notch where he sang to celebrate his love interests, shower her praises and ask her to twist her waist.

Unarguably, Another jam vibe that popped off on the radio but just never made it to the clubs and international stations where it deserved to live and breathe.

In a year that completely dominated Afropop, the consensus around most of the curated songs is that it’s a criminally underappreciated song, and If we could extend this list to 8, then songs like “Master Groove”, “Lowkey”, “Shout Out” and other different songs would make the list, but we all need to agree that when it comes to Afro-Pop, R&B music, Wizkid remains the king. And at this point, the term “Big Wiz” and “Star Boy” is no longer self-acclaimed because the Grammy award winner is undoubtedly a true star boy. At least, as regards his music.

TrendyBeatz has a greater duty of documenting the art, even beyond the artist and his “doings.” If you know, then you are knowledgeable.

Our expectations for “More Love, Less Ego” is at their peak and with the success of “Made In Lagos”, we are confident that BigWiz will not disappoint.

What other songs of Wizkid’s old or new do you think are underrated and deserve more recognition and acceptance? Put them down in the comments section.

Source: TrendyBeatz

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Calibrator: 9:37am On Sep 09, 2022
Wizkid been Mid since Ojuelegba!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by slawomir: 9:37am On Sep 09, 2022
Damnnn niggar

Wizkid my niggar...music dey wizkid body I swear..na only wizkid, burna boy jesse jags and 2face fit make my play list for Nigeria artiste

J cole
The weekend
Imagine dragons
Jesse jags
Sia
Burna boy
2face
Katty pery
Passenger
Bruno Mars
WizKid( Balogun the big boy)
Avicii( rest in peace)
Twenty one pilot
The Chainsmokers
Dig the kid
Cold play
Khalid
Maroon 5
Calum scot
John legend
Selena Gomez
post malone( the music wizard)
Ellie Goulding
Christiana aquilera
A great big world
Rita ora
Clean bandit
Dua lipa
Martin garixx
Major Lazer
The night
Edsheeran
Taylor swift
One din
Lewis capaldi
Sam smith
Ariana Grande
Kehlani
Billie eilish
Camilo Cabello..

96 Likes 12 Shares

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Kaplan01: 9:37am On Sep 09, 2022
True

1 Like

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Xcellente10(m): 9:38am On Sep 09, 2022
MY best Wizkid song is DANCE FOR ME & JOY.

His 13/14 Songs na bomb

Bring back 2012 - 18 wizkid mehn

Dav. still my Fav. though!!!!!!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2022
Hit upon hits
Celebrate greatness

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Ikem11(m): 9:38am On Sep 09, 2022
I don't listen to wizkid songs ....don't know why but his songs expression isn't that solid to me .

I will prefer to listen to adekunle gold songs than wizkid songs .

Take "essence" for example...song is so overrated without meaning

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Parachoko: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2022
Machalla

I dey always enjoy Wizkid songs

8 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Lanretoye(m): 9:38am On Sep 09, 2022
Give am your own grammy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by ImoleNaija: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2022
Rest, abeg.

4 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by GODPUNISHALABI: 9:39am On Sep 09, 2022
She tell me say, she tell me say, she tell me say .....I wonder if e get anything wey babe no dey tell am,....this guy with him mumu lyrics grin

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Neduzze5(m): 9:39am On Sep 09, 2022
Thank you and Sisi Nene for me

2 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by DevilSignature: 9:39am On Sep 09, 2022
sad

Meaning what
Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by toffyz(m): 9:39am On Sep 09, 2022
Mtchew

I guess you meant overrated undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by mbahdi(m): 9:40am On Sep 09, 2022
Ok
Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by nairalee(m): 9:40am On Sep 09, 2022
How can u call unknown songs HITS?

If I say wizkid is overrated now his fans will start convulsing.

Wizkid has the popularity, fan base, promoters etc to make even an average song blow. But OP wants to convince me that it's my fault that his songs did not blow

Maybe I'm the only Nigerian that doesn't know up to 3 of wizkid's recent songs

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by HolyMan12: 9:40am On Sep 09, 2022
2. For Me, featuring Wande Coal
Is the best on the list of underated wizkid songs.

Lyrics

Ladies and gentlemen
You know say man ah badman
(Iye-ye-ye)
From the east to the west to the north to the south
Are you ready?
Whine it up for me
Yea, she winds it for me
The way she goes down low
I'm feeling her body and soul
I want to take her home
She grinds it for me
I love the way she goes down low
I want to take her home, oh-oh-oh
That girl down low, oh-oh-oh
Give me that thing for sure, oh-oh-oh
Please go down low, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh
Please just give me love, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh
Wait, it's Wizzy and Wande Coal
Everybody get on the floor
Let the music play all night
Make we dance and party all night
Oya the music ginger you
No dulling, make nothing hinder you
From dancing and whining and grinding down low
Oya kalamgolo on the floor
Let the music take control
I love the way that you roll
Oya 17, 18, 19 baby
Scatter the floor
Oya komole ko jo
I love the way that you whine
So whine it up for me
She winds it for me
I want to take her home
She grinds it for me
I'm feeling her body and soul (it's Wande Coal)
I want to take her home (WCzy)
I dey spend, mo buru gan ni
I dey sing, mo tun dudu gan ni
Black diamond keep shining, WC, Wizzy we on this sh-
And we all dining
Though we popping bottles when we grinding
Popping bottles going on 15, going on 16, going to 19
To all my seductive girls
Where my sexy ladies, that want to whine it for me?
Oh-oh wine it for me
Sumomi dakun baby
Dakun, dakun baby, say, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Ore lasan le ni e je o
O wa tun lo fun e ni ti bi se
To ba di gba to yun ba de
Ko ma wa, ma wa ka e mole
To ba ri na, ko toro
Pariwo ni gbogboro
A le ni ya mi were
A le ni ya mi were
She winds it for me
I want to take her home
She grinds it for me
I want to take her home, oh-oh-oh
Please go down low, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh
Please just give me love, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh
Give me that, give me that, give me that
Lemme tell them make them know, it's Wande Coal
And Wizzy
Tell them what they don't know, I say it's Wande Coal
And Wizzy
Oya tell them say, what them know it's Wande Coal
It's your boy Wizzy
Tell them what they don't know, it's Wande Coal

cool

12 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by folake4u(f): 9:40am On Sep 09, 2022
Lagos vibes is truly underrated. I love that song.

14 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by babyfaceafrica: 9:40am On Sep 09, 2022
Na you underrate am

1 Like

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Pells: 9:40am On Sep 09, 2022
Deadass Queen at the gates of heaven begging them to let her inside tongue tongue embarassed lipsrsealed

11 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by paulolee(m): 9:41am On Sep 09, 2022
Na wen wizzy start naim him bin de sing,
But now him jus de use music as cruise bcoz moni don plenty
I got tired of hearing countless “she tell me say”

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by tolumizzy(m): 9:41am On Sep 09, 2022
Big wizzy doing things

2 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Yinkusgold: 9:41am On Sep 09, 2022
Jam ft Chronix is a good one and i will never underrate it.

3 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by bonechamberlain(m): 9:41am On Sep 09, 2022
Burna Boy has taken over, WizKid needs to work with more quality songwriters, music promoters and producers. Exactly what Burna is doing. Plus Burna is more talented even though he is arrogant.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by INTEGRITYA1(m): 9:41am On Sep 09, 2022
Na so life be ooooo, even on Nairaland you will see some beautiful thread; they won't make front page. Meanwhile when you see some topics at the front page; you will be like watin be dis.

4 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Kirkman: 9:42am On Sep 09, 2022
I doubt if Wizkid himself still remembers most of these songs sef..

3 Likes

Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by Akfrenzy(m): 9:42am On Sep 09, 2022
grin
Re: These Wizkid Songs Were Hit But Were So Underrated by charlesedu777: 9:42am On Sep 09, 2022
Rip to Queen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Your Most Favourite Radio Station & Presenter / THROWBACK: Nigerian Old School Music (Oldies) / Which Website Can I Download Gospel Mp3 Songs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.