Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,460 members, 7,854,004 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 09:25 AM

Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed (467 Views)

TalkSPORT Suspend Trevor Sinclair For 'Inappropriate' Tweet After Queen's Death / Sinclair Names Two West Ham Players That Will Walk Into Man Utd’s Team / DSTV Tweet When South-Africa Beat Egypt Vs When Nigeria Beat South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:56pm On Sep 09, 2022
Trevor Sinclair issues grovelling apology admitting his tweet saying 'black and brown' people should not mourn the Queen was 'ill timed' after being SUSPENDED by talkSPORT who have vowed to 'investigate the circumstances' of his online outburst

• The Queen passed away at Balmoral at the age of 96 on Thursday afternoon
• Sinclair took to Twitter after to say 'black and brown' people should not mourn
• He believes racism has been 'allowed to thrive' during her reign as head of state
• Simon Jordan criticised Sinclair, saying his posts were 'deeply inappropriate'
• TalkSPORT have officially suspended Sinclair for the now deleted Tweet
Full coverage: Click here to see all our coverage of the Queen's passing

By WILL PICKWORTH FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 15:07, 9 September 2022 | UPDATED: 20:42, 9 September 2022

Trevor Sinclair has finally apologised for tweeting that 'black and brown' people should not mourn the Queen after being suspended by talkSPORT - with the shamed presenter saying the intervention was 'ill-timed'.

The network officially suspended Sinclair after the former England footballer shared the controversial post relating to the Queen's death on Thursday afternoon.

Sinclair claimed that 'black and brown' people should not mourn the death of Queen Elizabeth II because racism was allowed to 'thrive' during her reign.

Sinclair's tweet came shortly after Buckingham Palace announced the death of Her Majesty the Queen at the age of 96 on Thursday. Fans were quick to criticise the 49-year-old and called for talkSPORT to sack the football pundit.

Today he took to Twitter to apologise, writing: 'My tweet yesterday was ill timed at a time when the royal family, and many around the world were grieving for the Queen. I apologise for any offence caused to those mourning The Queen.'

TalkSPORT have officially suspended Trevor Sinclair (above) for his controversial Tweet

Today Sinclair took to Twitter to apologise, writing that his message was 'ill timed'

The network officially suspended Sinclair after the former England footballer shared the controversial post relating to the Queen's death on Thursday afternoon

TalkSPORT have released the following statement saying: 'Trevor Sinclair will not be on air while we carry out a thorough investigation into the circumstances and timing of his tweet.

'While we respect the right of Trevor Sinclair to express his opinion on his personal twitter account, talkSPORT does not endorse the tweet.'

TalkSPORT had been trying to make contact with former Manchester City midfielder Sinclair, but struggled to get hold of him on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Sinclair's now deleted Tweet read: 'Racism was outlawed in England in the 60's & it's been allowed to thrive so why should black and brown mourn!!.' His account has also since been deleted.

The radio station vowed to deal with the matter and distanced themselves from Sinclair's post, responding: 'We have been trying to make contact with Trevor Sinclair following opinions expressed on his Twitter account.

'TalkSPORT does not support those views expressed and is investigating the matter.'

The matter was discussed further on talkSPORT on Friday morning with Sinclair's colleague Simon Jordan heavily critical.

'My first reaction to Trevor's tweet was of great disappointment. You have a view, and I think it is a poor view,' he told talkSPORT.

talkSPORT had promised to take action to deal with the matter

Sinclair's colleague Simon Jordan had responded to Sinclair's tweet last night calling him out for his view

'I think it's a misguided view, I think it is a view not steeped in any great fact, because if you're going to argue that racism was outlawed in the 60s, then you would know that society has treated it with great value.

'But to put a tweet out with that content at that time, was to my mind, deeply inappropriate, and people are allowed to have their views.

'There are people that will hold that view, and there are people that will hold the view that they didn't attach any great value to the monarchy, and they are entitled to that view.

'I find myself a very conflicted person because I abhor the view, but I know the man, so I know Trevor as a person, we've had very robust arguments and debates specifically and explicitly on this subject, and all of those arguments have ended, with an agreement to disagree.

For More On This Story

'I apologise for any offence caused to those mourning The Queen'.

Re: Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed by rickpat(m): 9:58pm On Sep 09, 2022
very ill timed
Re: Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed by okorometa: 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2022
accepted
Re: Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 09, 2022
You spoke the truth, nothing to apologize for

1 Like

Re: Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed by Sparrk007(m): 10:37pm On Sep 09, 2022
No need to apologize...f*ck the queen

1 Like

Re: Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed by JASONjnr(m): 10:55pm On Sep 09, 2022
Messaged carefully passed....

Many people across the world have passed their message to the monarch and to the Britain over their links to massive genocides to Irish, Africans and many other race....

But my own is... if this criticism was to a specific religion. There'd been lots of threats and preachings about blasphemy and even killings... But since it's about a civilized individual. The criticism is well accepted.
Re: Trevor Sinclair Issues Apology Admitting Tweet Criticizing Queen Was Ill Timed by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:19pm On Sep 10, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

'I apologise for any offence caused to those mourning The Queen'.

Updates:

Trevor Sinclair speaks out after talkSPORTS's suspension.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11199885/Trevor-Sinclair-finds-strength-heads-run-talkSPORT-suspension.html

(1) (Reply)

94 Odds Code / EA Sport Has Now Successfully Predict 2010, 2014, 2018 And 2022 Worldcup Winner / FACT CHECK: Viral False Claim About Dstv Creating Channel To Show Saudi League B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.