Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,996 members, 7,814,399 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed (2229 Views)

‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga / Industrial Court Orders ASUU Back To Work / Fg Drags ASUU To Industrial Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by ogaontop(m): 8:54pm On Sep 10, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

FG won't pay ASUU any money for sitting at home for 7 months.
No matter how long it takes, they will still pay them.
What of ASUU forfeiting what they could have taught during the 7 months and move on to the next academic session? Implying that the current year one's will go back and write UTME while the current final year won't graduate?
ASUU is the cause of all these because I did not know why they refused when FG in 2017 proposed 200% increment in tuition fees for students, as a major source for university funding! By now there will be enough money to meet these demands. I really blame ASUU!!
Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by JJuanMiguel: 10:13pm On Sep 10, 2022
ogaontop:

No matter how long it takes, they will still pay them.
What of ASUU forfeiting what they could have taught during the 7 months and move on to the next academic session? Implying that the current year one's will go back and write UTME while the current final year won't graduate?
ASUU is the cause of all these because I did not know why they refused when FG in 2017 proposed 200% increment in tuition fees for students, as a major source for university funding! By now there will be enough money to meet these demands. I really blame ASUU!!
It's this your belief that has made ASUU prolong the strike, but unfortunately you all are wrong this time around. It will be 7 months in few days time and a lot of lecturers are really suffering while FG they think they are fighting don't even feel anything.
ASUU can choose to stay home for another 7 months, I'm sure FG won't complain as the strike is not affecting them in any way.

Academic calender, admission and lectures, ASUU, VC, uni-Senate's and the various universities can do whatever they like and structure it how they want. It's not something FG will directly interfere with, that's between the schools and NUC.
So ASUU cannot use that one as a leverage.

What ASUU should have taught in the past seven months.
Let them come and teach it in the next seven months, they will be paid in the next seven months.

ASUU also did themselves some favor by turning down the alleged 200% fee increment, because it will affect the masses in certain ways, the lecturers are part of the masses too, most of them have children and wards in the universities and some lecturers are post graduate students too.

However, the proposed increment is not a guarantee that there will be enough money to fund the universities. Yes, students will pay more and more money will go to the TSA. But it's still up to the government to release the fund to the universities or divert it elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by ogaontop(m): 11:41pm On Sep 10, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

It's this your belief that has made ASUU prolong the strike, but unfortunately you all are wrong this time around. It will be 7 months in few days time and a lot of lecturers are really suffering while FG they think they are fighting don't even feel anything.
ASUU can choose to stay home for another 7 months, I'm sure FG won't complain as the strike is not affecting them in any way.

Academic calender, admission and lectures, ASUU, VC, uni-Senate's and the various universities can do whatever they like and structure it how they want. It's not something FG will directly interfere with, that's between the schools and NUC.
So ASUU cannot use that one as a leverage.

What ASUU should have taught in the past seven months.
Let them come and teach it in the next seven months, they will be paid in the next seven months.

ASUU also did themselves some favor by turning down the alleged 200% fee increment, because it will affect the masses in certain ways, the lecturers are part of the masses too, most of them have children and wards in the universities and some lecturers are post graduate students too.

However, the proposed increment is not a guarantee that there will be enough money to fund the universities. Yes, students will pay more and more money will go to the TSA. But it's still up to the government to release the fund to the universities or divert it elsewhere.
The uni-senate's, VC's, e.t.c are they not ASUU members?
Do you know the CVC's have been approached last week to resume school and they with the various pro-chancellors proffered another solution of which the FG said they will look into, next thing, they are going to court! Let's see how that compulsion works, unless they will sack everybody.
How do you justify a government that have reneged on 3 successive agreements and they are going to court
Let them go, we are watching!
Do you know 4 consecutive letters were written in a space 13 months notifying FG of the agreements and strike and they did nothing? They did not even care to reply those letters bro.
Anyway these things are properly documented, for court's sake.
Let the same court that will rule that ASUU won't be paid (which is what is obtainable anyway), let them also rule on FG to fulfill those "time-lined" agreements which they reneged without any official or unofficial communication to ASUU on why those agreements can't be met anymore!!
If FG can fulfill those AGREEMENTS, then forfeting the 7 months will not be a big deal, in 3 months they will recover and be in profit for the rest of their active years!!
As for the increment in tuition, it comes with autonomy specific to each institution, nothing like from TSA to elsewhere! You get what you generated.
"Let them pay me what is agreed and increase the tuition, then I can even pay 500% increment for my children" but ASUU were not thinking this way then.
Let such offer come to the table again, ASUU will gladly accept it with immediate effect!!

PS: I am not a lecturer or ASUU member but I have someone at NUC.
Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by Doyou2019: 6:05am On Sep 11, 2022
edogu:
It's obvious these people are shameless. You signed an agreement, violated the same agreement and still have the gut to sue the other party to court. No be juju be that?

Let the idiots who call themselves FG give ASUU the 1.243 trillion Naira they spend monthly on fake subsidy and bury this issue once and for all.
1.2 trillion Naira is all ASUU ever asked to revitalize tertiary education.
Just one-month's subsidy. Lobatan!
Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by rusher14: 8:12am On Sep 11, 2022
Doyou2019:

Let the idiots who call themselves FG give ASUU the 1.243 trillion Naira they spend monthly on fake subsidy and bury this issue once and for all.
1.2 trillion Naira is all ASUU ever asked to revitalize tertiary education.
Just one-month's subsidy. Lobatan!

Do your likes ever actually sit in one corner, take a look at Nigeria's revenue and all our outlays before you reach a conclusion?

Do your likes ever ask if lecturers are different from civil servants or indeed other Nigerians in their approach to money and its judicious use?

Do your likes ever think that Government may be bad but they aren't the only ones?

I expect insults and irrational behaviour.

Sometimes when I quote someone, I don't expect him to reason with me.

Someone else reading my contribution might just do so.
Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by rusher14: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2022
ogaontop:

Do you know the CVC's have been approached last week to resume school and they with the various pro-chancellors proffered another solution of which the FG said they will look into, next thing, they are going to court! Let's see how that compulsion works, unless they will sack everybody.
How do you justify a government that have reneged on 3 successive agreements and they are going to court
Do you know 4 consecutive letters were written in a space 13 months notifying FG of the agreements and strike and they did nothing? They did not even care to reply those letters bro.
Let the same court that will rule that ASUU won't be paid (which is what is obtainable anyway), let them also rule on FG to fulfill those "time-lined" agreements which they reneged without any official or unofficial communication to ASUU on why those agreements can't be met anymore!!
If FG can fulfill those AGREEMENTS, then forfeting the 7 months will not be a big deal, in 3 months they will recover and be in profit for the rest of their active years!!
As for the increment in tuition, it comes with autonomy specific to each institution, nothing like from TSA to elsewhere! You get what you generated.
"Let them pay me what is agreed and increase the tuition, then I can even pay 500% increment for my children" but ASUU were not thinking this way then.
Let such offer come to the table again, ASUU will gladly accept it with immediate effect!!

I think the public universities should be sold to private owners who can charge what fees they deem fit.
Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by Wilson500: 9:17am On Sep 11, 2022
This is what ASUU would have done instead of wasting students' time with their needless strikes
They should have charged FG to Industrial court for breach of agreement long time ago

Like my landlord always say- "Mad People Everywhere"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by JJuanMiguel: 11:33am On Sep 11, 2022
ogaontop:

FG employed ASUU,
The universities also belong to FG.

So far, FG have increased the salaries by some percentage and promised to include the next batch of revitalization fund in the next year budget.

But ASUU have so far turned down these offers, but always quick to lament that they've not been given any offer.

The case is going to court, it's going to end with the verdict that any lecturer who is not satisfied with the present condition of service should resign and apply elsewhere.

It has gotten too far, this demand and that demand, having good leaders is what can save our country (including education sector), not this incessant time wasting ASUU strike.

FG is still the employer here, any lecturer who is not contented with what's on the table now will resign and go and apply in Oxford and Cambridge, they should stop using unionism to pin down others who are realistic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by ogaontop(m): 11:36am On Sep 11, 2022
rusher14:

I think the public universities should be sold to private owners who can charge what fees they deem fit.
If there is no concrete resolution to avert further strikes, successive governments will not have any option than to do what you said, privatising the universities!
But both ASUU and the students may resist that one o, any attempt in this economy to increase school fees to more than 200%, students will repeat what might be bigger than ENDSARS, because once you privatise, cost of everything will skyrocket! Some lecturers might also have issues because some of them are not fit to be there, a private owner cannot tolerate their output and lackadaisical attitude!

1 Like

Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by rusher14: 11:43am On Sep 11, 2022
ogaontop:

If there is no concrete resolution to avert further strikes, successive governments will not have any option than to do what you said, privatising the universities!
But both ASUU and the students may resist that one o, any attempt in this economy to increase school fees to more than 200%, students will repeat what might be bigger than ENDSARS, because once you privatise, cost of everything will skyrocket! Some lecturers might also have issues because some of them are not fit to be there, a private owner cannot tolerate their output and lackadaisical attitude!

Well, it is the long lasting solution.

We can't keep looking to make government look clueless what at the same time the student suffers.

My friend pays 300k a term for his child in primary school but complains about the fees his brother has to pay in public universities.

1 Like

Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by JJuanMiguel: 3:36pm On Sep 11, 2022
The outcome of this strike will be different from previous ones.
It might be the end of something and the beginning of something new.
But people who think they are hitherto immuned to the consequences of going on long strike will lose a lot too, it won't be just the students this time
Re: FG Drags ASUU To Industrial Court, Says Negotiations Have Failed by ogaontop(m): 4:58pm On Sep 11, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

FG employed ASUU,
The universities also belong to FG.

So far, FG have increased the salaries by some percentage and promised to include the next batch of revitalization fund in the next year budget.

But ASUU have so far turned down these offers, but always quick to lament that they've not been given any offer.

The case is going to court, it's going to end with the verdict that any lecturer who is not satisfied with the present condition of service should resign and apply elsewhere.

It has gotten too far, this demand and that demand, having good leaders is what can save our country (including education sector), not this incessant time wasting ASUU strike.

FG is still the employer here, any lecturer who is not contented with what's on the table now will resign and go and apply in Oxford and Cambridge, they should stop using unionism to pin down others who are realistic.
Haha, you already know what the court will decide?
It's the kind of mentality we found ourselves here that makes us reason the way you did.
You work in a company that agreed to pay you e.g 200k at the end of the month. You worked for continuous 2yrs, you're being paid 100k. When you complain you will be asked to resign and apply elsewhere if you don't want the 100k?
We don't have efficient Labour law implementation here.
In Labour laws, this is what will be applicable:
1. ASUU sholud forfeit the 7 months salary they did not work.
2. FG should fulfill their 5 year old signed agreement that lead to the strike.
Then peace!
FG will ask you to forfeit 7 months but won't fulfill the demands that led to it!
Who's deceiving who bro?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Girl Who Scored 9as In WAEC Suddenly Get Killed After Getting Scholarship To UK / How Does The Post-ume Screening Test Look Like? / Obafemi Awolowo University Pre Degree For 2009/2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.