Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! (18317 Views)

Cow Takes A Ride In Honda Accord 2007 / Nissan Murano Experience ?? Pls Help / How Reliable Is Acura MDX Suv Anyone With First Hand Experience Pls. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by digi101(m): 6:29pm On Aug 10, 2011
There are a lot of threads touting the proposed cost savings and ease of getting a better deal by purchasing your car from coutonu. I've never done this before but with some many of these chaps bombarding the Nairaland boards am beginning to actually consider the option. Then coming back to my senses i thought what the heck lets hear from the horses mouth! If its been such a bargain we should have a ton of satisfied clients to give prospective "cautious" clients like myself there side of the story.
So if u've ever bought a car from coutonu and you would humbly give us your experienced opinion the floor is all yours grin
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 6:49pm On Aug 10, 2011
digi101:

There are a lot of threads[b] touting[/b] the proposed cost savings and ease of getting a better deal by purchasing your car from coutonu. I've never done this before but with some many of these chaps bombarding the Nairaland boards am beginning to actually consider the option. Then coming back to my senses i thought what the heck lets hear from the horses mouth! If its been such a bargain we should have a ton of satisfied clients to give prospective "cautious" clients like myself there side of the story.
So if u've ever bought a car from coutonu and you would humbly give us your experienced opinion the floor is all yours grin

The term touting in your post seems a big derogatory and shows some bias towards Cotonou auto dealers which frankly shouldn't be.
Buying a car from Cotonou is just like buying a car from The US,Europe or Canada.
You see what you want,pay for it and have duty paid at the point of entry into Nigeria and if your desire to save the funds that would be used for duty payment high then your dealer can help you smuggle it in(Buyer's choice).
You are only advised to deal with dealers that would keep to their promise and how best can you ascertain this?Go through their threads as this would go a long way at helping you reach a final buy verdict.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by cinzo: 7:11pm On Aug 10, 2011
THE NATURE OF THE ROAD ON THE NIGERIAN SIDE THOUGH WAS WHAT PUT ME OFF BUYING A CAR FROM COTONOU. THAT ROAD DOES NOT PORTRAY NIGERIA IN A GOOD LIGHT AT ALL grin
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 7:23pm On Aug 10, 2011
cinzo:

THE NATURE OF THE ROAD ON THE NIGERIAN SIDE THOUGH WAS WHAT PUT ME OFF BUYING A CAR FROM COTONOU. THAT ROAD DOES NOT PORTRAY NIGERIA IN A GOOD LIGHT AT ALL grin

which of the road?
The road from Cotonou to Nigeria via IDIROKO is great and i can say same of Seme to Inside Lagos.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by cinzo: 7:24pm On Aug 10, 2011
femmy2010:

which of the road?
The road from Cotonou to Nigeria via IDIROKO is great and i can say same of Seme to Inside Lagos.

seme to lagos is a shame! did you not see the cotonou side of the road?
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 7:27pm On Aug 10, 2011
cinzo:

seme to lagos is a shame! did you not see the cotonou side of the road?

Seme to Lagos is just like any other roads in Nigeria.
If one can drive in hinterland Lagos then one can drive from Seme to Lagos.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by cinzo: 7:29pm On Aug 10, 2011
femmy2010:

Seme to Lagos is just like any other roads in Nigeria.
If one can drive in hinterland Lagos then one can drive from Seme to Lagos.

true talk grin but the thoughts of diving an ochara toks through that road gives me creeps grin

1 Like

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 7:32pm On Aug 10, 2011
cinzo:

true talk grin but the thoughts of diving an ochara toks through that road gives me creeps grin

The same Oshara toks would be driven from Our bad Apapa road to your abodes in other parts of Lagos.Lol.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by digi101(m): 8:23pm On Aug 10, 2011
femmy2010:

The term touting in your post seems a big derogatory and shows some bias towards Cotonou auto dealers which frankly shouldn't be.
Buying a car from Cotonou is just like buying a car from The US,Europe or Canada.
You see what you want,pay for it and have duty paid at the point of entry into Nigeria and if your desire to save the funds that would be used for duty payment high then your dealer can help you smuggle it in(Buyer's choice).
You are only advised to deal with dealers that would keep to their promise and how best can you ascertain this?Go through their threads as this would go a long way at helping you reach a final buy verdict.

my sincere apologies to all Cotonou car dealers', my aim was not to put anyone down in any way but to get an undiluted opinion from serviced clients. The best form of reference from a customers point of view is a fellow satisfied customer grin. What i would like to know from anyone that has bought from Cotonou ports are the following:

1. Price difference wise compared to an auto parked on the lot in Nigeria was the cost savings more than 50-100k?
2. Did the Automobile arrive the same way you viewed it in Cotonou?
3. How long did it take to deliver?
4. If you've been using it for a while have you had any customs whala traveling interstate?
5. On the whole if you look back and had it to do all over again would you buy from the car lot or go to Cotonou?

Please only response needed are from individuals that have purchased there automobiles from Cotonou!
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Akpojeweo: 10:18pm On Aug 10, 2011
I love this thread for the fact that all experiences from cotonou shall be viewed here. I have been to cotonou thrice to buy cars but with different experience. Of all the trips there were better deal and quality compared to Lagos. You are at the following risk, you can't come home with your car the same day, you leave your car in the hand of a total stranger for 2 to 3 days for it to arrive amidst anxiety and fear/stress. You cannot tell between original and fake duties papers from your dealer. All the three local various dealers that i have used had made me pay more than expected, comparing NLs quotes and to discover later that the duties paper were forged. In 2003 i bought a toyota car in cotonou for 1m cfa equivalent 220k but landed my state, Delta, for 400k. Lastly, if you must buy below govt. approved minimum years limit don't expect real duties paper.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by digi101(m): 9:55am On Aug 11, 2011
Akpojeweo:

I love this thread for the fact that all experiences from cotonou shall be viewed here. I have been to cotonou thrice to buy cars but with different experience. Of all the trips there were better deal and quality compared to Lagos. You are at the following risk, you can't come home with your car the same day, you leave your car in the hand of a total stranger for 2 to 3 days for it to arrive amidst anxiety and fear/stress. You cannot tell between original and fake duties papers from your dealer. All the three local various dealers that i have used had made me pay more than expected, comparing NLs quotes and to discover later that the duties paper were forged. In 2003 i bought a toyota car in cotonou for 1m cfa equivalent 220k but landed my state, Delta, for 400k. Lastly, if you must buy below govt. approved minimum years limit don't expect real duties paper.

Thanks for the insight!
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by texazzpete(m): 12:40pm On Aug 11, 2011
femmy2010:

There is nothing wrong with the use of the word 'touting'

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/touting?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic
–verb (used with object)
to solicit support for importunately.
to describe or advertise boastfully; publicize or promote; praise extravagantly: a highly touted nightclub.

Strive to be sure of what a word means before you take someone up on it.

Sadly, even the OP doesn't seem to realize that 'touting' doesn't have to be a derogatory meaning, given his abject apology.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by blank(f): 12:42pm On Aug 11, 2011
subscribing.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 11, 2011
Is there really savings on cost

Between pre ordering and cotonou which is better in terms of final cost of car?
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by ektbear: 12:51pm On Aug 11, 2011
subscribing
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by mjay(m): 12:57pm On Aug 11, 2011
Ave a cousin who is constantly under the fear of customs anytimehe has to travel out of Lagos simply because his car is coutonou bought. Twice the car was impounded along the road. The conclusion is that he wants to prematurely sell the car. Priority in his replacement option is that it must be Lagos cleared.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 1:10pm On Aug 11, 2011
texazzpete:

–verb (used with object)
to describe or advertise boastfully; publicize or promote; praise extravagantly: a highly touted nightclub.

Sadly, even the OP doesn't seem to realize that 'touting' doesn't have to be a derogatory meaning, given his abject apology.

I wouldn't voice an opposition to the word touting if i didn't see some iota of negativity in it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/touting

1.  To solicit customers, votes, or patronage, especially in a brazen way.

Also check the meaning of Brazen

Marked by flagrant and insolent audacity. See synonyms at shameless.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/brazen#ixzz1UinQIDqG
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by SignorZax: 1:11pm On Aug 11, 2011
I bought my Honda Acccord (EOD) from Tin Can Port, Apapa, Nigeria for N1.85m that is with allduties paid in 2009.
In August, 2010 I went to AutoWharf in Apapa to buy a Nissan Almera or Primera (1999/2000 Model) with Power Windows, Factory A/C, Alloy Wheels and Automatic Transmission. I was told to pay between N1.0m and N1.2m. I was miffed and surprised at the cost and so I called an agent, not a NL'er anyway and he advised we cross over to Cotonou. I went across with the sum of N0.65m and got myself a clean 1999 Nissan Primera 2.0L SE with all the facilities I mentioned above. The car was a good buy anyday, anytime and anywhere. I Saved myself the sum of about N0.35m - N0.55m. The only snag in the whole thing was the anxiety I had to go through waitnig for the car for about 4 days. I collected the car thereafter the way I bought it at Cotonou, cleaned it up (checked for hoses and pipes leakages and serviced the engine and transmission systems) in Lagos and drove it myself all the way to Port Harcourt. Apart from the normal Police N200 on the road. Please, don't get it twisted, the N0.65 included the cost of the car, the duty paid at Cotonou and my agent's fee. I didn't have 1 problem with the car till date. This is a true life story of my humble self who is not a car dealer. Lest I forget, I am already planning to go back to Cotonou for my next car, this time a 4x4 SUV. So liven up and hit the road man.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by SignorZax: 1:16pm On Aug 11, 2011
I bought my Honda Acccord (EOD) from Tin Can Port, Apapa, Nigeria for N1.85m that is with allduties paid in 2009.
In August, 2010 I went to AutoWharf in Apapa to buy a Nissan Almera or Primera (1999/2000 Model) with Power Windows, Factory A/C, Alloy Wheels and Automatic Transmission. I was told to pay between N1.0m and N1.2m. I was miffed and surprised at the cost and so I called an agent, not a NL'er anyway and he advised we cross over to Cotonou. I went across with the sum of N0.65m and got myself a clean 1999 Nissan Primera 2.0L SE with all the facilities I mentioned above. The car was a good buy anyday, anytime and anywhere. I Saved myself the sum of about N0.35m - N0.55m. The only snag in the whole thing was the anxiety I had to go through waitnig for the car for about 4 days. I collected the car thereafter the way I bought it at Cotonou, cleaned it up (checked for hoses and pipes leakages and serviced the engine and transmission systems) in Lagos and drove it myself all the way to Port Harcourt. Please, don't get it twisted, the N0.65 included the cost of the car, the duty paid at Cotonou and my agent's fee. Apart from the normal Police N200 on the road, I have not had a single problem with the car till date. This is a true life story of my humble self who is not a car dealer. Lest I forget, I am already planning to go back to Cotonou for my next car, this time a 4x4 SUV. So liven up and hit the road man.

1 Like

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 11, 2011
Signor Zax:

In August, 2010 I went to AutoWharf in Apapa to buy a Nissan Almera or Primera (1999/2000 Model) with Power Windows, Factory A/C, Alloy Wheels and Automatic Transmission. I was told to pay between N1.0m and N1.2m. I was miffed and surprised at the cost and so I called an agent, not a NL'er anyway and he advised we cross over to Cotonou. I went across with the sum of N0.65m and got myself a clean 1999 Nissan Primera 2.0L SE with all the facilities I mentioned above. The car was a good buy anyday, anytime and anywhere. I Saved myself the sum of about N0.35m - N0.55m. The only snag in the whole thing was the anxiety I had to go through waitnig for the car for about 4 days. I collected the car thereafter the way I bought it at Cotonou, cleaned it up (checked for hoses and pipes leakages and serviced the engine and transmission systems) in Lagos and drove it myself all the way to Port Harcourt. Apart from the normal Police N200 on the road. Please, don't get it twisted, the N0.65 included the cost of the car, the duty paid at Cotonou and my agent's fee. I didn't have 1 problem with the car till date. This is a true life story of my humble self who is not a car dealer. Lest I forget, I am already planning to go back to Cotonou for my next car, this time a 4x4 SUV. So liven up and hit the road man.
Wow, this is amazing.

Please I need the opinion of one of the pre-order people, so I can compare before making a decision
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by deluxecad(m): 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2011
texazzpete:

–verb (used with object)

LOL, I too was laughing at this apology o! Funny people.

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by deluxecad(m): 1:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
texazzpete:

–verb (used with object)

LOL, I too was laughing at this apology o! Funny people.  It was needless.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Greenpro: 1:31pm On Aug 11, 2011
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by kblastic(f): 1:33pm On Aug 11, 2011
Bought my 1st car last month from Cotonou and it drives great.
go for it.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by metrixauto: 1:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
For you Signor Zax u are just one out of a million that is lucky,My cousin's car was impounded at Ogere a Nissan Primera like urs,it took us 2 weeks to get it back after paying 200k to release,please travel to lagos ibadan to Ife and see if u can be lucky on this road,buying contonou car is a big risk,Blink 182 please order your car directly fom Usa,Clean titled and lagos cleared,i tell you you will have rest of mind anywhere you are travelling to,dont be decieved by the experience of Signor,contact us at 1a ade ajayi  street,off hakeem ajala street,Ogudu GRA,PREODERING cars only is our core business you can also call me on 08029091965  or 07035039114
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 11, 2011
My first car, a volkswagen jetta was brought from cotonou. Na bush dem even carry am pass sef, dont know if custom papers actually exist for cars brought from cotonou. I almost get hypertension waiting for the delivery. But soon as it was delivered. I registered my mushin plate number and never had any problem since then. I was stopped once at ogere on lagos ibadan expressway by custom officer in plain clothes, they just checked my vehicle registration documents and that was it. They dont expect me to be carrying port clearance documents everywhere.that was in 2003 by the way. The car is still doing ok till now in naija.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by jerryice(m): 1:48pm On Aug 11, 2011
Bought my honda civic from Cotonou,crosser drove it rough and the gear got spoiled, Had to get a new gear and also get custom papers for driving interstate, Almost the same with buying a tincan cleared Civic 02 i think,

1 Like

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 11, 2011
Rough driving seems to be very common. My clutch was burnt by the time it got to lagos as well. I never had problem with customs though even though i was studying at OAU then and lived in lag, i was a frequent traveler on that road.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by MeAgain(m): 2:22pm On Aug 11, 2011
I would not advise you get a car from Cotonou. I got my first car Nissan Sunny (1993) model in 2005. Besides the fact that the age of the car has exceeded the age allowed in the country, no car imports is allowed in this country except through the sea port (Lagos).

First I had issues with the Police for about 6 months, thereafter i had to get series of police report on how I lost the the customs papers. I could not travel with the car out of Lagos for fear of the customs. A friend of mine that bought same type of car with me was seized by customs the week I summoned courage to travel with mine.

After Almost 2 years of constant fear of customs, I decided to sell the car and bought one that was Lagos cleared. I have since been travelling with my car around the states in this country. The customs have stopped me and I showed them the papers and they confirmed it was all right.

Yes, you get some savings from bringing your car from cotonou, but is it worth it if you have to be in constant fear of customs?

A word is enough for the wise, so they say.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 11, 2011
I have read all your suggestions but should I decide to get a car from cotonou, what do I do to legalize my car and drive without fear? undecided
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by octar6: 3:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
coutonou coutonou coutonou. hmmnnnnn
I had a crazy experience when my mum got her toyota camry.I did the negotiations,so everything fell on my head.the so called car was bought,but it stayed for about 1 month b4 it got to ph its final destination.4 that 1month,I had high blood presure sha.Fake import papers.but the car drives well till date.no wahala.
When doin interstate travelin,its useless carryin import papers.so frsc nor customs cant hold me back sha.its not part of my vehicle licence.If dem ba*stards worry u,go n swear an affidevit in the court that it was misplaced.
NOTE: i didnt order the car from nl.
My mums next car was a point and kill tincan island cleared ride.I no fit shout.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by occam(m): 3:28pm On Aug 11, 2011
@ poster
Seems people have mixed experiences buying cars from Cotonou. Save yourself any hassle and consider the extra cost of buying a Lagos cleared vehicle "premium for peace of mind".

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

His Honda Cross Tour Was Snatched In Abuja - Please Help / Tincan Port Congestion / How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.