Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,303 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? (10941 Views)

Sad Photos of slavery that would bring you to tears / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 10:50pm On Aug 10, 2011
EDIT
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by obowunmi(m): 10:56pm On Aug 10, 2011
Nigerians despise their own people --- so this shouldn't surprise you. Ever heard of tribalism or jungle justice ? undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by r231(m): 10:59pm On Aug 10, 2011
hmmmm
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 10, 2011
im half black american & half nigerian(igbo). I can say nigerians despise the "ghetto" types.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Jenifa1: 11:14pm On Aug 10, 2011
I don't think Nigerians despise African Americans any more than hispanic, white or carribean people despise African Americans.
same is true vice versa.

H-Star89:

im half black american & half nigerian(igbo). I can say nigerians despise the "ghetto" types.

you are beautiful. and happy bday tongue
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 11:21pm On Aug 10, 2011
But why do you think they despise the ghetto types? Isn't it to each their own.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 10, 2011
Jenifa_:

I don't think Nigerians despise African Americans any more than hispanic, white or carribean people despise African Americans.
same is true vice versa.

you are beautiful. and happy bday tongue

I guess lol and you noticed lol, thanks grin
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 10, 2011
SAFO:

I'd say the lack of family values and low expectations many seem to have. IMO
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Jenifa1: 11:31pm On Aug 10, 2011
SAFO:

they feel that they are a bad influence on their kids,
they feel that they have destructive moral values.
etc

"despise" is a strong word though. I don't think Nigerians generally hate AA. maybe some.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Jenifa1: 11:32pm On Aug 10, 2011
h-star u took my comment out of my mouth.
yes. there is a cake on your profile.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 10, 2011
Jenifa_:

h-star u took my comment out of my mouth.
yes. there is a cake on your profile.

kiss
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 11:38pm On Aug 10, 2011
You're right, despise is too harsh of a word. Let's just say dislike.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 11:49pm On Aug 10, 2011
Do you think it might have to do with resentment. As far as black Americans having more advantages available to them? I know most of my friends can't relate to me when I tell them it was normal to go 4 months out of a year without electricity or fetching your water from a well daily when growing up in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 10, 2011
SAFO:

Generally (doesnt mean all) lazy, unmotivated to move out of the ghetto and give their kids a future, forever blaming slavery for why they cant brush their teeth, overly dependent on the government, violence-prone, criminally minded, irresponsible rearing of children with no family structure or hope for the future, mediocrity reigns supreme among them . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Aug 10, 2011
SAFO:

Do you think[b] it might have to do with resentment. As far as black Americans having more advantages available to them?[/b] I know most of my friends can't relate to me when I tell them it was normal to go 4 months out of a year without electricity or fetching your water from a well daily when growing up in Nigeria.

that's odd, why then dont we have the same "resentment" towards whites or hispanics or asians?
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Jenifa1: 12:04am On Aug 11, 2011
SAFO:

Do you think it might have to do with resentment. As far as black Americans having more advantages available to them? I know most of my friends can't relate to me when I tell them it was normal to go 4 months out of a year without electricity or fetching your water from a well daily when growing up in Nigeria.

I thought you were talking about Nigerians abroad. Nigerians abroad have access to the same amenities as African Americans.

If there is any resentment at all, it is most likely caused by the fact that their kids (born abroad) can easily be influenced by African American culture.
Many send their kids back home for about 6 yrs of secondary school (this is most likely what happened to you) to correct this if they feel it's going to be a problem or if they can afford to do so.

also, non-black employers/neighbors/potential allies sometimes do not distinguish between AAs and African immigrants and so Africans feel that they are being unfairly judged.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 12:05am On Aug 11, 2011
Good question, maybe because we don't share the same African heritage?

Btw — how do you quote somebody on here?
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Jenifa1: 12:11am On Aug 11, 2011
Prejudice is probably the correct term to describe it. not resentment or hatred. Africans are not resentful of African Americans. We are prejudiced against them. We are also prejudiced against  hispanics, asians, whites or African Americans for totally different reasons.
and like I said, it's also vice versa. all those cultures including AAs have prejudices against us too.

to quote, use the quote button above the text box when you are making a post. if you can see the smiley buttons, you should be able to see it.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 12:19am On Aug 11, 2011
Well said and thanks 4 the tip. I'm typing from my phone and the quote box wasn't showing up for me.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 11, 2011
Jenifa_:

Prejudice is probably the correct term to describe it. not resentment or hatred. Africans are not resentful of African Americans. We are prejudiced against them. We are also prejudiced against  hispanics, asians, whites or African Americans for totally different reasons.
and like I said, it's also vice versa. all those cultures including AAs have prejudices against us too.

to quote, use the quote button above the text box when you are making a post. if you can see the smiley buttons, you should be able to see it.

Yea. My mom was like that towards my dad at first
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by ektbear: 2:45am On Aug 11, 2011
I don't despite AAs personally.

I used to when I was a little kid because I lived around ghetto ones. But college-educated, upwardly-mobile AAs are perfectly fine folk by me.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:51am On Aug 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't despite AAs personally.

I used to when I was a little kid because I lived around ghetto ones. But college-educated, upwardly-mobile AAs are perfectly fine folk by me.

same point I was making.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Jenifa1: 3:26am On Aug 11, 2011
H-Star,
how is it like being part of both worlds?
I know a family like that too but the kids identify more with Nigeria than with AA culture. they lived in nigeria for a while.

ekt_bear:

But college-educated, upwardly-mobile AAs are perfectly fine folk by me.

I never got along with them except on a superficial level. mostly cultural difference.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:37am On Aug 11, 2011
Jenifa_:

H-Star,
how is it like being part of both worlds?
I know a family like that too but the kids identify more with Nigeria than with AA culture. they lived in nigeria for a while.

Well my mom doesn't really push me into her culture. I "idolize" my dad somewhat lol, so of course I embrace his culture more. But before I go to med school I want to go to nigeria with my mom. I've been using chinenyenwa a lilttle more than vivian though.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Jenifa1: 5:24am On Aug 11, 2011
H-Star89:

Well my mom doesn't really push me into her culture. I "idolize" my dad somewhat lol, so of course I embrace his culture more. But before I go to med school I want to go to nigeria with my mom. I've been using chinenyenwa a lilttle more than vivian though.

that's cool. I guess it's always easier to identify more with one side.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 5:51am On Aug 11, 2011
Jenifa_:

that's cool. I guess it's always easier to identify more with one side.

a little lol. But I'd like to know igbo culture more in-depth.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2011
I think it's great being part of both worlds and I can identify with both groups. My mom is from Louisiana and was the first in her family to graduate college. She met my father when attending University of Houston and they have been together ever since then. My father is Yoruba, very soft spoken and my role model. I've never met a harder working man in all my life. Both my parents wanted us to know our culture which is why we moved to Nigeria at a young age. I've grown up around both sides of my family and can relate to each side.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by ADM1(m): 2:41pm On Aug 11, 2011
davidylan:

Generally (doesnt mean all) lazy, unmotivated to move out of the ghetto and give their kids a future, forever blaming slavery for why they cant brush their teeth, overly dependent on the government, violence-prone, criminally minded, irresponsible rearing of children with no family structure or hope for the future, mediocrity reigns supreme among them . . .

You can say the same thing about whites and Hispanics since most gangs in the U.S. are Hispanic and most welfare recipients are white. Yes, that is a fact whether you like it or not. And you think laziness exists among one group of people? I can also say why some black Americans are prejudice against uppity Africans: false sense of superiority, talking about others being prone to violence when some African countries have ethnic conflicts and civil wars, trying to separate from other blacks when non-blacks look at all blacks as the same, likes to talk trash about black Americans as if they know every black American but doesn't mind claiming to be black when it's a benefit, etc. Hey, I can be stereotypical, prejudice, and hateful, too.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 11, 2011
SAFO:

I think it's great being part of both worlds and I can identify with both groups. My mom is from Louisiana and was the first in her family to graduate college. She met my father when attending University of Houston and they have been together ever since then. My father is Yoruba, very soft spoken and my role model. I've never met a harder working man in all my life. Both my parents wanted us to know our culture which is why we moved to Nigeria at a young age. I've grown up around both sides of my family and can relate to each side. On my mothers side I'm known as Shawn, on my father's side, I'm known as Ayo. The only thing I want now is to be able to take my children back home so they can understand their father's heritage.

very cool. My parents met at usc. My dad is a big buy and my mom is petite lol. I've met my moms parents only a handful of times, very nice people. My dads side is bit more "vocal", plus his dad is a doctor so I get tips from my grandpa whenever I visit. If I have children I wouldn't mind living in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by ADM1(m): 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2011
SAFO, what do you mean black Americans can't identify with their culture? Newsflash: All groups have a culture. The majority of music that exist today were created by black/Afro-Americans from house music in Chicago to jazz music in New Orleans to hip-hop music in New York City. Those music genres, along with others, set the stage for the global pop culture the exists now.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by kumamoto: 5:34pm On Aug 11, 2011
@ SAFO, can you speak Yoruba?
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by lepasharon(f): 5:35pm On Aug 11, 2011
Why do nigerians despise black americans??!! shocked shocked  If anything,

, They are the ones that hate Africans!!!

They call us primitive,apes,monkeys!.Most of those americans are sooooooo ignorant about africa its annoying,They beleive everyone on africa walks around Unclad,chasing elephants for breakfast,sleep in manure etcThey watch  TV and see all these stereotypes about africa and they feel that is how we all are,they even go far as to say they are tooscared to go africa themselves because we may eat them,imagine.So that why their is animosity between the africans and black americans

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures From Penis Festival, 2019. / Question !! What Is *sim Card* In Yoruba Called? / How Many Greek Legends Were Really True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.