Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,406 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? (25335 Views)

Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? / Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? / "how Far?" Is The Most Popular Slang Among Nigerians Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 12:21am On Jun 11, 2013
Folks, how many of you have noticed this norm? I have encountered and heard of scenarios whereby some vital family decisions have been put on hold because of certain directives from abroad. Probably because the ''been to'' member of the family who is not around feels he has to dictate who does what and what action is in vogue or archaic.

Most times this is worst with folks in the UK. I know of a landlord friend who made funny decrees in the agreements with his tenants. The funniest one being that the tenants cannot harbour visitors in their flat for more than 30 days. And would have to notify the caretaker in writing in advance of any visit that would exceed the stipulated 30 days; imagine!

He forgot that this is not UK, after all hospitality is part of African culture . All advice as a friend has fallen on deaf ears. Any witness guys? embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 12:23am On Jun 11, 2013
If anything, i think it's because those at home have inferiority complex and feel they have to hear from the guy that lives abroad before they go ahead with an action

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by pleep(m): 12:31am On Jun 11, 2013
Maybe because those of us abroad are actually smarter and more informed?

The funniest one being that the tenants cannot harbour visitors in their flat for more than 30 days. And would have to notify the caretaker in writing in advance of any visit that would exceed the stipulated 30 days; imagine! He forgot that this is not UK, after all hospitality is part of African culture . All advice has a friend has fallen on deaf ears.
dude... do you realize that as a landlord your property depreciates ( looses value) faster the more people are living in it? That stipulation is there so that his tenants don't flood his property with permanent "visitors" who aren't paying him. Hospitality be damned business is business.

You should let more capable people make the important decisions.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 12:35am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: If anything, i think it's because those at home have inferiority complex and feel they have to hear from the guy that lives abroad before they go ahead with an action
Sure bro. More like a case of who pays the piper dictates the tune. Especially those families where the abroad guy stamps down his lordship with Western Union ala hard currency. This is very common when a key figure in the family dies.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 12:40am On Jun 11, 2013
Maybe because those of us abroad are actually smarter and more informed .[/quote] Hmm......don't tell me you mean that?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by pleep(m): 12:42am On Jun 11, 2013
^ From the bottom on my heart wink

Your comment about leasing and 30 day visitors shows a shocking level of ignorance.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 1:12am On Jun 11, 2013
pleep: ^ From the bottom on my heart wink

Your comment about leasing and 30 day visitors shows a shocking level of ignorance.
Talking abt ignorance, the fact that a person stays abroad doesn't bestow on him an avalanche of knowledge on every leasing and tenancy laws. Go thru my post again for better judgement. I am talking about him giving consideration to the family ties entrenched in our lifestyle. At least the visitor could be a friend who just got DEPORTED or a brother who just got a new job in town and needs some months to figure himself out. That could be obtainable abroad but am talking of Nigeria!! Most of these 'akata' folks lived their earlier years in Nigeria but easily shed off the norms they grew up in cos of abroad mentality. SMH.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by tpia5: 2:26am On Jun 11, 2013
Why is deported in caps?

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by pleep(m): 2:52am On Jun 11, 2013
Since the topic is concerning Nigerians abroad i think its appropriate grin
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by donadexco(m): 3:23am On Jun 11, 2013
Its nt their fault.. When ah was on ma way tew Hackney @ U.K, the plane flew upwards throughout the journey. Buh when ah was cumin bck tew 9ja, d plane flew downward thruout.. Ah cum dey wonda maybe na person take hand throw my plane down..

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 3:35am On Jun 12, 2013
donadexco: Its nt their fault.. When ah was on ma way tew Hackney @ U.K, the plane flew upwards throughout the journey. Buh when ah was cumin bck tew 9ja, d plane flew downward thruout.. Ah cum dey wonda maybe na person take hand throw my plane down..
Clap for yaself!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
What does it matter.. we continue to remain a potential. A mythical giant of Africa with the worlds fastest growing GDP and over a population of 129 million living under a dollar a day. Clap for yaself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 12:34pm On Apr 27, 2015
voltron:
What does it matter.. we continue to remain a potential. A mythical giant of Africa with the worlds fastest growing GDP and over a population of 129 million living under a dollar a day. Clap for yaself
And living abroad changes the fact that you are also part of the system, only that you chose to live abroad?...........Your type methinks, are the ones who are quick to dissociate themselves from their origin. Anyways, I trust the real whites to remind you once in a while where your true origin lies. When it comes call on me I will give you an advising mouth (listening ear is for the non escapists).

17 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 27, 2015
McStoic:
And living abroad changes the fact that you are also part of the system, only that you chose to live abroad?...........Your type methinks, are the ones who are quick to dissociate themselves from their origin. Anyways, I trust the real whites to remind you once in a while where your true origin lies. When it comes call on me I will give you an advising mouth (listening ear is for the non escapists).

what does it matter where i live and my origin. there are regions where one can take advantage of some benefits not available in Nigeria and given the lack of such opportunities here, working a safe plan is better than surviving a risky one. Lagos is not the only State in Nigeria and 2Face phenomenon is rare compared to the 127 million Nigerians alive today. It is not an escapist strategy.. can you change Nigeria with enough time for your children to enjoy the future you have created 20 years later?. I am not willing to place that bet

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Ishilove: 4:04pm On Apr 28, 2015
That is a fallacy. The ones i know always talk down on the country.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Okuda(m): 4:07pm On Apr 28, 2015
question for the gods.. now rephrase.... "why do Nigerians living in Nigeria have inferiority complex for anybody and anything that looks foreign?" sick set of folks. There is nothing totally wrong with the part of the agreement.. However, you should know it was an agreement. meaning that 2 people signed and consented to it. I for one can do something like this because in houses these days, the more the occupants, the more damage the occupants collectively do to the house and its not about weight this time, its more about keeping the facilities in the house in pristine condition.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Pebcak: 4:07pm On Apr 28, 2015
angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by countsparrow: 4:07pm On Apr 28, 2015
It is cos Nigerians are poor at heart...
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by iluvweed(m): 4:07pm On Apr 28, 2015
grin
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Mogidi: 4:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
pleep:
Maybe because those of us abroad are actually smarter and more informed?

How does washing plates overseas and doing prostitution count as smart?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by omenka(m): 4:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
Haha. I think this question should rather be asked in reverse, like: why do Nigerians who've never travelled abroad feel inferior to those who have?? cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Skywalker5(m): 4:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
Dont you guys get tired of recycling this same old story?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by ednut1(m): 4:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
as ednut land nigeria afta 3 years in uk, armed with his gangster cloths and yeye uk accent he be wan dey form for nigeria. afta one week nobody tell am to change hin accent bk to nigeria own angry, those who do it are jst silly, dey form mumu yankee swags

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by drnairalov: 4:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
power of euros , pound and dollars maybe...but eeeich I am abroad and I miss Nigeria... but If you stay abroad generally people back home make u feel superior it is just Nigeria 4 u... but I tell u sometimes Nigeria is better than where ever u go minus electricity sha smiley

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by sam90s(m): 4:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
No one can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
ajuju

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by mrborntodoit: 4:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
A traveler is wiser than an old man

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by adenine02: 4:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
because dos @ home feel inferior

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by SirLewis(m): 4:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
The tribalistic e-war transpiring on this thread is the reason why>> www.nairaland.com/2281011/abacha-offers-oladipo-diya-handkerchief
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by moscobabs(m): 4:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
who tells u they have superiority complex?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronation Of The Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Now Underway – LIVE UPDATES / Two ‘Next-In-Lines’ That Never Became Olubadan Of Ibadan In Recent Years / Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.