Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate (27052 Views)

What I Achieved In 2020 (Photos) / The Disadvantages Of Working Under A Woman In An Office / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Cigarorealtyltd: 2:04pm On Sep 12, 2022
HI, my name is Mrs Mildred Martins, When I began my career in real estate in 2012, I was newly married with a 6-month-old at home and lots of bills. My bachelor’s degree had led me down a path of hard work for little pay. I needed to make a change, and fast, but I also had a fire inside calling me to build something bigger for myself and my growing family. I didn’t know a thing about selling houses. All I did know was that somehow I was going to be my own boss. This girl was not meant for nine to five or stuffy board rooms. So in 2012, I got my license and hit the ground running. Well, sort of.   

No one ever tells you what it actually takes on a day-to-day basis to make it in this business until you’re in the trenches. I was eager to learn but also broke and desperate. I joined a well-known team in my area and learned as much as I could. For five years, I cold-called, held open houses, and worked 60 hours a week, nights and weekends. This was a great experience but definitely not what I had in mind.  
I had a bigger vision for my life. So in 2016, along with my business partner, I joined a company and partnered with them, CIGARO REALTY LIMITED, Since then, real estate has truly changed my life for the better. The flexibility has allowed me to thrive as a working mom, raising 3 wild boys while growing a top-producing team. I now have the opportunity to lead a group of eight amazing women realtors, which has brought to light the unique challenges that we face as women in real estate.  

Prioritize safety
Our photos and contact information is all public. It’s a necessary part of our business, but it also leaves us vulnerable. I know the women on our team are not the only ones who have been the victims of stalking. After many strange calls and late-night hangups, an out-of-state detective connected the dots and informed us of a man who was stalking women in several states that he found online. All were real estate agents, and all had a similar appearance.  We’ve also gotten calls from men who were pretending to be in the market for a home because (after some wasted time, we found out) they were looking for a friend… and we “looked friendly.”  
A potential sale is never worth your safety. Always meet with buyers at your office before showing them a property. If someone is serious about buying a house, they will meet with you. Usually, when I tell a potential client that we meet in the office for safety reasons, there are no objections. When you do meet new clients for showings, always let someone know your location. Be sure to bring someone along to open houses, whether that’s a spouse, a friend, or better yet, ask a mortgage lender to co-brand some marketing materials and come along with you. It’s a win-win.  

Value family
I’m sure juggling family and business is a struggle for all working moms. As entrepreneurs, we often feel the need to hustle and prove ourselves while at the same time managing our guilt if success comes at the cost of time with our loved ones.  
I personally have had mixed experiences. I know for certain that I lost a lot of business when I was expecting my second and third children. Even after explaining to potential clients that I had a support team to cover for me while I was home with a newborn, buyers and sellers (understandably) want to make sure their real estate agent is available at all times.  Although I empathize with their concern, there is no “maternity leave” when you’re self-employed. No clients, no income. 
Last-minute appointments are the name of the game. More than once, I’ve had to throw my kids in the car, bribe them with candy, and pray that they don’t break anything because my buyer’s perfect house just came on the market. Most people are incredibly understanding. 
At the beginning of my career, I would drop everything and run out the door whenever a client asked me to. I missed a lot of dinners with my husband and putting my kids to bed. Set clear boundaries for yourself or you may find yourself with strained relationships and lots of regrets.    
Schedule your family time as “appointments.” Date night? Kids baseball game? Clients don’t need to know what kind of appointment you have!   

Remember self-care
Real estate is so unpredictable. You may find yourself spending more time in your car than in an office. Some days you have back-to-back appointments for 12 hours straight and some days you may work at home in your pajamas. It’s easy to forget about taking care of the most important person (that’s you!) when you’re always on the run. But don’t let the erratic nature of this business get the best of you. Schedule time for personal development and self-care so you don’t burn out. Get a massage. Go shopping. Take classes that have nothing to do with real estate (bonus—you’ll probably pick up business while you’re networking and having fun anyway). Don’t skip this step. You can’t take care of everyone else if you aren’t taking care of you!   
Overall, I’ve been incredibly lucky to be a woman in this industry. I don’t feel that my gender defines me in this field. Powerful women have paved the way for decades and leveled the playing field for us.  
We truly bring so much to the table. We are compassionate, empathetic, and can juggle a million things like nobody’s business. Ultimately I have found that if you just be genuine, be yourself, surround yourself with people that make you a better person, then we can make the most of an amazing career and show future generations of women Realtors what is possible

47 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by bestman09(m): 2:11pm On Sep 12, 2022
Very lovely post. I love women who dared to venture into businesses hitherto was the exclusive to men.
I also love the fact that you didn't abandon your family and the home front because of business.
I wish you the best. In everything you do, remember that the family comes first, Don't let your boys become wild!

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Deejaygold(m): 2:11pm On Sep 12, 2022
cheesy
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by NaijaCover(m): 2:11pm On Sep 12, 2022
Following The Thread Like Beans And Bread
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Wawelexy(m): 2:11pm On Sep 12, 2022
Some of the ladies that are in real estate biz are into prostitution... talking from experience, I worked with a real estate company during 2019 - 20, female colleagues do gossip themselves.. telling us how her female colleague would sleep with men before they could sell land or properties cos we re all on a target.. I left the company due to non payment of salary cos I was unable to meet my target...

But, why would a mother qualify her sons with the word WILD? That's weird.....

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Klington: 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by letristian: 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
Ok
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Tonymegabush1(m): 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
Following
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by inoki247: 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
undecided
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by obembet(f): 2:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
M
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by JayPeeOham: 2:13pm On Sep 12, 2022
Hmmmm
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by akinmusi(m): 2:13pm On Sep 12, 2022
Well Those interested in real estate and earning commissions as side hustle from sales of Real Estate and Car deals can get in touch with me.

NB: you must have test for online intensive marketing and I will also give you tips.

Check my signature.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Slynation(m): 2:13pm On Sep 12, 2022
Cool tho...
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by YorubaYouth: 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2022
Hmm....
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by kingimmade: 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2022
more grace in ur endeavors

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by MaestroID(m): 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2022
Kudos to you and your team.
Thanks for defining the act of work and making it possible for other women like you to follow.

It won't be easy at first, but with time it hets better.

Keep Up the Good Work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 12, 2022
Owk
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by meobizy(f): 2:17pm On Sep 12, 2022
How much did Seun collect for this? Is it a side hustle for one of the super moderators? Many Nairalanders did not read the article. I got tired halfway on realizing it was an advert. This forum is worthless, time wastage is its only valuable attribute.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by SecretReporter(f): 2:18pm On Sep 12, 2022
B
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by VIKTO83(m): 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2022
I admire your doggedness.
I know of a lady in that business. In about 5years now she had really carved a nitch for herself.
I like the business though.

God help u OP

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by jaxxy(m): 2:20pm On Sep 12, 2022
Interesting..

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Pidginwhisper: 2:20pm On Sep 12, 2022
ok
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by bestman09(m): 2:20pm On Sep 12, 2022
Cafogaj235:
Tired of losing your bets on football games? Visit the website on my signature to learn how to recover all your betting losses within one month.

Thief. Another moniker? Nobody should listen to this bloody scammer. It's the same gagabet thief

2 Likes

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by free2ryhme: 2:20pm On Sep 12, 2022
Cigarorealtyltd:
HI, my name is Mrs Mildred Martins, When I began my career in real estate in 2012, I was newly married with a 6-month-old at home and lots of bills. My bachelor’s degree had led me down a path of hard work for little pay. I needed to make a change, and fast, but I also had a fire inside calling me to build something bigger for myself and my growing family. I didn’t know a thing about selling houses. All I did know was that somehow I was going to be my own boss. This girl was not meant for nine to five or stuffy board rooms. So in 2012, I got my license and hit the ground running. Well, sort of.   

No one ever tells you what it actually takes on a day-to-day basis to make it in this business until you’re in the trenches. I was eager to learn but also broke and desperate. I joined a well-known team in my area and learned as much as I could. For five years, I cold-called, held open houses, and worked 60 hours a week, nights and weekends. This was a great experience but definitely not what I had in mind.  
I had a bigger vision for my life. So in 2016, along with my business partner, I joined a company and partnered with them, CIGARO REALTY LIMITED, Since then, real estate has truly changed my life for the better. The flexibility has allowed me to thrive as a working mom, raising 3 wild boys while growing a top-producing team. I now have the opportunity to lead a group of eight amazing women realtors, which has brought to light the unique challenges that we face as women in real estate.  

Prioritize safety
Our photos and contact information is all public. It’s a necessary part of our business, but it also leaves us vulnerable. I know the women on our team are not the only ones who have been the victims of stalking. After many strange calls and late-night hangups, an out-of-state detective connected the dots and informed us of a man who was stalking women in several states that he found online. All were real estate agents, and all had a similar appearance.  We’ve also gotten calls from men who were pretending to be in the market for a home because (after some wasted time, we found out) they were looking for a friend… and we “looked friendly.”  
A potential sale is never worth your safety. Always meet with buyers at your office before showing them a property. If someone is serious about buying a house, they will meet with you. Usually, when I tell a potential client that we meet in the office for safety reasons, there are no objections. When you do meet new clients for showings, always let someone know your location. Be sure to bring someone along to open houses, whether that’s a spouse, a friend, or better yet, ask a mortgage lender to co-brand some marketing materials and come along with you. It’s a win-win.  

Value family
I’m sure juggling family and business is a struggle for all working moms. As entrepreneurs, we often feel the need to hustle and prove ourselves while at the same time managing our guilt if success comes at the cost of time with our loved ones.  
I personally have had mixed experiences. I know for certain that I lost a lot of business when I was expecting my second and third children. Even after explaining to potential clients that I had a support team to cover for me while I was home with a newborn, buyers and sellers (understandably) want to make sure their real estate agent is available at all times.  Although I empathize with their concern, there is no “maternity leave” when you’re self-employed. No clients, no income. 
Last-minute appointments are the name of the game. More than once, I’ve had to throw my kids in the car, bribe them with candy, and pray that they don’t break anything because my buyer’s perfect house just came on the market. Most people are incredibly understanding. 
At the beginning of my career, I would drop everything and run out the door whenever a client asked me to. I missed a lot of dinners with my husband and putting my kids to bed. Set clear boundaries for yourself or you may find yourself with strained relationships and lots of regrets.    
Schedule your family time as “appointments.” Date night? Kids baseball game? Clients don’t need to know what kind of appointment you have!   

Remember self-care
Real estate is so unpredictable. You may find yourself spending more time in your car than in an office. Some days you have back-to-back appointments for 12 hours straight and some days you may work at home in your pajamas. It’s easy to forget about taking care of the most important person (that’s you!) when you’re always on the run. But don’t let the erratic nature of this business get the best of you. Schedule time for personal development and self-care so you don’t burn out. Get a massage. Go shopping. Take classes that have nothing to do with real estate (bonus—you’ll probably pick up business while you’re networking and having fun anyway). Don’t skip this step. You can’t take care of everyone else if you aren’t taking care of you!   
Overall, I’ve been incredibly lucky to be a woman in this industry. I don’t feel that my gender defines me in this field. Powerful women have paved the way for decades and leveled the playing field for us.  
We truly bring so much to the table. We are compassionate, empathetic, and can juggle a million things like nobody’s business. Ultimately I have found that if you just be genuine, be yourself, surround yourself with people that make you a better person, then we can make the most of an amazing career and show future generations of women Realtors what is possible

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Konjiboii: 2:20pm On Sep 12, 2022
Women I know in real estate are doing exceptionally well compared to their male counterpart, this is one area where I can say men don't dominate as much. But yeah everything else you said is on point

4 Likes

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by aylagos(m): 2:24pm On Sep 12, 2022
Bbb
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Pathfinder2090: 2:25pm On Sep 12, 2022
Interesting

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: Festus Keyamo, 29 Others Approved As SAN / I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / 4 Things You Say At Work That Can Ruin Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.