Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate (27046 Views)

What I Achieved In 2020 (Photos) / The Disadvantages Of Working Under A Woman In An Office / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by LincolnOnyeabor: 3:55pm On Sep 12, 2022
Nairaland doing the most

Marketing and Adverts now make Threads undecided undecided angry angry angry
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 12, 2022
I've always wanted to learn and enter real estate, but no one to teach me and carry me along... I always like work wey I no dey find rest and I really love real estate as a hustle, but no idea how it's been done

I love the way u are balancing your home with work

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by ONNYX: 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2022
Wawelexy:
Some of the ladies that are in real estate biz are into prostitution... talking from experience, I worked with a real estate company during 2019 - 20, female colleagues do gossip themselves.. telling us how her female colleague would sleep with men before they could sell land or properties cos we re all on a target[b].. I left the company due to non payment of salary cos I was unable to meet my target...[/b]

But, why would a mother qualify her sons with the word WILD? That's weird.....

You are a very frank and sincere person. The bolded tells a lot about you.

Wishing you the very best in life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by ONNYX: 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2022
Wawelexy:
Some of the ladies that are in real estate biz are into prostitution... talking from experience, I worked with a real estate company during 2019 - 20, female colleagues do gossip themselves.. telling us how her female colleague would sleep with men before they could sell land or properties cos we re all on a target. I left the company due to non payment of salary cos I was unable to meet my target..

You are a very frank and sincere person. The bolded tells a lot about you.

Wishing you the very best in life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Determinedbobo: 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2022
Hello, I'd like to invest in real estate for a little interest, can you put me through
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Darammliveth(m): 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2022
Filmdirect:
I am in real estate but in the investment/development side; build, rehab, property management. It is rewarding BUT for women you can easily be taken advantage of (think of a woman and a car mechanic). My area is male dominated as 100% of the contractors I work with are male. The following are the observed stressors:

1. They automatically think you don't know anything and will quote you ridiculous prices.
2. Their ego struggles with taking instructions from a woman or that she is visibly writing a check.
3. Some want to approach the relationship like they are "saving the female." Beware and don't allow this. It never ends well.

Solutions:
1. Be very very thick skinned.
2. Know a little bit of everything about the trades.
3. Don't take the tantrums seriously and be prepared to let someone go if you have to.
4. Don't bring in one contractor to do everything. Get quotes for different areas of the build. Foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, sheetrocking, floors, kitchen, bathrooms, tile etc etc. The danger of bringing in one person is if he is the one bringing in all the trades and later you need to let him go, likely you are losing all the other trades. You need more control of the process.
5. Don't let the relationship be too familiar. Don't get sucked into a box of being saved. No one is a friend.

I've decided to go back to school to learn residential construction. Overall and so far, I love it but need to be even more prepared now i've noticed what i have to deal with.

Nice take. I will like to introduce my Security System Solutions company to you. We're into supply and installation of CCTV Camera, Electric Fence Wire, Automatic Gate, Access Control, Intercom, Solar Inverter Etc. I'll be glad to work with you.
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Continue619: 4:16pm On Sep 12, 2022
Cigarorealtyltd:
HI, my name is Mrs Mildred Martins, When I began my career in real estate in 2012, I was newly married with a 6-month-old at home and lots of bills. My bachelor’s degree had led me down a path of hard work for little pay. I needed to make a change, and fast, but I also had a fire inside calling me to build something bigger for myself and my growing family. I didn’t know a thing about selling houses. All I did know was that somehow I was going to be my own boss. This girl was not meant for nine to five or stuffy board rooms. So in 2012, I got my license and hit the ground running. Well, sort of.   

No one ever tells you what it actually takes on a day-to-day basis to make it in this business until you’re in the trenches. I was eager to learn but also broke and desperate. I joined a well-known team in my area and learned as much as I could. For five years, I cold-called, held open houses, and worked 60 hours a week, nights and weekends. This was a great experience but definitely not what I had in mind.  
I had a bigger vision for my life. So in 2016, along with my business partner, I joined a company and partnered with them, CIGARO REALTY LIMITED, Since then, real estate has truly changed my life for the better. The flexibility has allowed me to thrive as a working mom, raising 3 wild boys while growing a top-producing team. I now have the opportunity to lead a group of eight amazing women realtors, which has brought to light the unique challenges that we face as women in real estate.  

Prioritize safety
Our photos and contact information is all public. It’s a necessary part of our business, but it also leaves us vulnerable. I know the women on our team are not the only ones who have been the victims of stalking. After many strange calls and late-night hangups, an out-of-state detective connected the dots and informed us of a man who was stalking women in several states that he found online. All were real estate agents, and all had a similar appearance.  We’ve also gotten calls from men who were pretending to be in the market for a home because (after some wasted time, we found out) they were looking for a friend… and we “looked friendly.”  
A potential sale is never worth your safety. Always meet with buyers at your office before showing them a property. If someone is serious about buying a house, they will meet with you. Usually, when I tell a potential client that we meet in the office for safety reasons, there are no objections. When you do meet new clients for showings, always let someone know your location. Be sure to bring someone along to open houses, whether that’s a spouse, a friend, or better yet, ask a mortgage lender to co-brand some marketing materials and come along with you. It’s a win-win.  

Value family
I’m sure juggling family and business is a struggle for all working moms. As entrepreneurs, we often feel the need to hustle and prove ourselves while at the same time managing our guilt if success comes at the cost of time with our loved ones.  
I personally have had mixed experiences. I know for certain that I lost a lot of business when I was expecting my second and third children. Even after explaining to potential clients that I had a support team to cover for me while I was home with a newborn, buyers and sellers (understandably) want to make sure their real estate agent is available at all times.  Although I empathize with their concern, there is no “maternity leave” when you’re self-employed. No clients, no income. 
Last-minute appointments are the name of the game. More than once, I’ve had to throw my kids in the car, bribe them with candy, and pray that they don’t break anything because my buyer’s perfect house just came on the market. Most people are incredibly understanding. 
At the beginning of my career, I would drop everything and run out the door whenever a client asked me to. I missed a lot of dinners with my husband and putting my kids to bed. Set clear boundaries for yourself or you may find yourself with strained relationships and lots of regrets.    
Schedule your family time as “appointments.” Date night? Kids baseball game? Clients don’t need to know what kind of appointment you have!   

Remember self-care
Real estate is so unpredictable. You may find yourself spending more time in your car than in an office. Some days you have back-to-back appointments for 12 hours straight and some days you may work at home in your pajamas. It’s easy to forget about taking care of the most important person (that’s you!) when you’re always on the run. But don’t let the erratic nature of this business get the best of you. Schedule time for personal development and self-care so you don’t burn out. Get a massage. Go shopping. Take classes that have nothing to do with real estate (bonus—you’ll probably pick up business while you’re networking and having fun anyway). Don’t skip this step. You can’t take care of everyone else if you aren’t taking care of you!   
Overall, I’ve been incredibly lucky to be a woman in this industry. I don’t feel that my gender defines me in this field. Powerful women have paved the way for decades and leveled the playing field for us.  
We truly bring so much to the table. We are compassionate, empathetic, and can juggle a million things like nobody’s business. Ultimately I have found that if you just be genuine, be yourself, surround yourself with people that make you a better person, then
we can make the most of an amazing career and show future generations of women Realtors what is possible

Good afternoon ma , please I want to go into Real Estate, if you are seen this my write up help and contact me, am a newly graduate from civil Engineering
This is my number 08035445354

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2022
Konjiboii:

So you are aware then

I don't know if I should call that success, not sure I can marry a female real estate agent o. The power of convincing customers goes beyond word of mouth.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by belej2: 4:37pm On Sep 12, 2022
Different landed properties for sale in lekki/ajah axis and also clean cars

Check my profile or call or whatsapp 08149577728
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by achimendy(m): 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2022
Cigarorealtyltd:
HI, my name is Mrs Mildred Martins, When I began my career in real estate in 2012, I was newly married with a 6-month-old at home and lots of bills. My bachelor’s degree had led me down a path of hard work for little pay. I needed to make a change, and fast, but I also had a fire inside calling me to build something bigger for myself and my growing family. I didn’t know a thing about selling houses. All I did know was that somehow I was going to be my own boss. This girl was not meant for nine to five or stuffy board rooms. So in 2012, I got my license and hit the ground running. Well, sort of.   

No one ever tells you what it actually takes on a day-to-day basis to make it in this business until you’re in the trenches. I was eager to learn but also broke and desperate. I joined a well-known team in my area and learned as much as I could. For five years, I cold-called, held open houses, and worked 60 hours a week, nights and weekends. This was a great experience but definitely not what I had in mind.  
I had a bigger vision for my life. So in 2016, along with my business partner, I joined a company and partnered with them, CIGARO REALTY LIMITED, Since then, real estate has truly changed my life for the better. The flexibility has allowed me to thrive as a working mom, raising 3 wild boys while growing a top-producing team. I now have the opportunity to lead a group of eight amazing women realtors, which has brought to light the unique challenges that we face as women in real estate.  

Prioritize safety
Our photos and contact information is all public. It’s a necessary part of our business, but it also leaves us vulnerable. I know the women on our team are not the only ones who have been the victims of stalking. After many strange calls and late-night hangups, an out-of-state detective connected the dots and informed us of a man who was stalking women in several states that he found online. All were real estate agents, and all had a similar appearance.  We’ve also gotten calls from men who were pretending to be in the market for a home because (after some wasted time, we found out) they were looking for a friend… and we “looked friendly.”  
A potential sale is never worth your safety. Always meet with buyers at your office before showing them a property. If someone is serious about buying a house, they will meet with you. Usually, when I tell a potential client that we meet in the office for safety reasons, there are no objections. When you do meet new clients for showings, always let someone know your location. Be sure to bring someone along to open houses, whether that’s a spouse, a friend, or better yet, ask a mortgage lender to co-brand some marketing materials and come along with you. It’s a win-win.  

Value family
I’m sure juggling family and business is a struggle for all working moms. As entrepreneurs, we often feel the need to hustle and prove ourselves while at the same time managing our guilt if success comes at the cost of time with our loved ones.  
I personally have had mixed experiences. I know for certain that I lost a lot of business when I was expecting my second and third children. Even after explaining to potential clients that I had a support team to cover for me while I was home with a newborn, buyers and sellers (understandably) want to make sure their real estate agent is available at all times.  Although I empathize with their concern, there is no “maternity leave” when you’re self-employed. No clients, no income. 
Last-minute appointments are the name of the game. More than once, I’ve had to throw my kids in the car, bribe them with candy, and pray that they don’t break anything because my buyer’s perfect house just came on the market. Most people are incredibly understanding. 
At the beginning of my career, I would drop everything and run out the door whenever a client asked me to. I missed a lot of dinners with my husband and putting my kids to bed. Set clear boundaries for yourself or you may find yourself with strained relationships and lots of regrets.    
Schedule your family time as “appointments.” Date night? Kids baseball game? Clients don’t need to know what kind of appointment you have!   

Remember self-care
Real estate is so unpredictable. You may find yourself spending more time in your car than in an office. Some days you have back-to-back appointments for 12 hours straight and some days you may work at home in your pajamas. It’s easy to forget about taking care of the most important person (that’s you!) when you’re always on the run. But don’t let the erratic nature of this business get the best of you. Schedule time for personal development and self-care so you don’t burn out. Get a massage. Go shopping. Take classes that have nothing to do with real estate (bonus—you’ll probably pick up business while you’re networking and having fun anyway). Don’t skip this step. You can’t take care of everyone else if you aren’t taking care of you!   
Overall, I’ve been incredibly lucky to be a woman in this industry. I don’t feel that my gender defines me in this field. Powerful women have paved the way for decades and leveled the playing field for us.  
We truly bring so much to the table. We are compassionate, empathetic, and can juggle a million things like nobody’s business. Ultimately I have found that if you just be genuine, be yourself, surround yourself with people that make you a better person, then we can make the most of an amazing career and show future generations of women Realtors what is possible

Wow, nice write up though.

Am into real estate too. Maybe you share some tips for me too, I wan to learn more.

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Iadymissile(f): 5:49pm On Sep 12, 2022
free2ryhme:
you're a fool, must you quote the whole post?
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by meobizy(f): 6:10pm On Sep 12, 2022
Iadymissile:
you're the most foolish nairalander I've come across.
bastard with hairy balls
Mynd44.
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by TheGreyKnight(m): 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2022
This post is copywriting 101 grin
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Billygee2u: 7:25pm On Sep 12, 2022
Wawelexy:
Some of the ladies that are in real estate biz are into prostitution... talking from experience, I worked with a real estate company during 2019 - 20, female colleagues do gossip themselves.. telling us how her female colleague would sleep with men before they could sell land or properties cos we re all on a target.. I left the company due to non payment of salary cos I was unable to meet my target...

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by utepu: 8:03pm On Sep 12, 2022
Well written

post=116592658]HI, my name is Mrs Mildred Martins, When I began my career in real estate in 2012, I was newly married with a 6-month-old at home and lots of bills. My bachelor’s degree had led me down a path of hard work for little pay. I needed to make a change, and fast, but I also had a fire inside calling me to build something bigger for myself and my growing family. I didn’t know a thing about selling houses. All I did know was that somehow I was going to be my own boss. This girl was not meant for nine to five or stuffy board rooms. So in 2012, I got my license and hit the ground running. Well, sort of.   

Prioritize safety

Value family

Remember self-care
We truly bring so much to the table. We are compassionate, empathetic, and can juggle a million things like nobody’s business. Ultimately I have found that if you just be genuine, be yourself, surround yourself with people that make you a better person, then we can make the most of an amazing career and show future generations of women Realtors what is possible[/quote]
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by emmaodet: 8:16pm On Sep 12, 2022
ednut1:
the women working for pwan, adron and co are all balling, while the men are still poor. why

You and I know the answer.
Switch those females to males and see them struggling, fumbling and wobbling to sell a plot of land.
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by tobby98: 8:24pm On Sep 12, 2022
Nwatachoba1:
I've always wanted to learn and enter real estate, but no one to teach me and carry me along... I always like work wey I no dey find rest and I really love real estate as a hustle, but no idea how it's been done

I love the way u are balancing your home with work
I can recruit you into our team if you’re based in Lagos
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 12, 2022
tobby98:

I can recruit you into our team if you’re based in Lagos

This una nairaland dey fear me o

I'd love to
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by OLRAYS(m): 8:55pm On Sep 12, 2022
Determinedbobo:
Hello, I'd like to invest in real estate for a little interest, can you put me through
I can put you through. WhatsApp me on : 07088656767
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by free2ryhme: 10:40pm On Sep 12, 2022
Iadymissile:
you're a fool, must you quote the whole post?

is there anything else ?
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Wwwq: 11:00pm On Sep 12, 2022
Really
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by RichAbujaGuy: 3:06am On Sep 13, 2022
Cigarorealtyltd:
HI, my name is Mrs Mildred Martins,

Kudos and respect Mrs. Martins. You are a blessed inspiration for many. I enjoyed reading every word of your write-up. Life is a definitely a struggle until success arrives in our lives.

Excellent Twitter account - Cigaro Realty LTD https://twitter.com/CigaroLtd Ltd and website http://www.cigarorealtyltd.com/ !

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by everythinggirly(f): 6:24am On Sep 13, 2022
I'm also a realtor, we sell land in different state, the job is never easy at all, sometimes you won't even have time for yourself, because you're moving from one site to another. May God continually bless our hustle.

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Dshocker(m): 7:21am On Sep 13, 2022
Cigarorealtyltd:

Prioritize safety

Value family

Remember self-care
We truly bring so much to the table. We are compassionate, empathetic, and can juggle a million things like nobody’s business. Ultimately I have found that if you just be genuine, be yourself, surround yourself with people that make you a better person, then we can make the most of an amazing career and show future generations of women Realtors what is possible

You really have to give kudos to your husband for allowing you work in real estate industry, because not all men will allow or that.

2 Likes

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by IAmTobore(m): 8:57am On Sep 13, 2022
Wawelexy:
Some of the ladies that are in real estate biz are into prostitution... talking from experience, I worked with a real estate company during 2019 - 20, female colleagues do gossip themselves.. telling us how her female colleague would sleep with men before they could sell land or properties cos we re all on a target.. I left the company due to non payment of salary cos I was unable to meet my target...

You need to realise something. This woman narrating her story is not based in Nigeria. She's most likely in the US. That's why her story seem interesting and smooth. And that's why she called her kids "wild"

1 Like

Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by upuphim(m): 9:25am On Sep 13, 2022
You may not start real estate business like Mildred but there are good opportunities with Pwan Group real estates. Some are already making it in Nigeria in it. If interested reach out to me on comoli2009@gmail.com.
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by RichAbujaGuy: 10:51am On Sep 13, 2022
IAmTobore:
You need to realise something. This woman narrating her story is not based in Nigeria. She's most likely in the US. That's why her story seem interesting and smooth. And that's why she called her kids "wild"

Don't be a hater, crab in the barrel comrade.

http://www.cigarorealtyltd.com/

Block A1-133 HFP shopping complex, Abraham Adesanya Lagos, Nigeria

Hotline: 09168614668

Email: info@cigarorealtyltd.com
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by RichAbujaGuy: 10:54am On Sep 13, 2022
CashMini:
Digital products are made to be sold digitally.. That's on the internet.

Selling online requires you've some skills and a mentor who've been there since Adam...
If you're a complete newbie, you can't just do this on your own..

You need to be guided. You need to be trained. And this is why I've setup https://okebata.carrd.co/ just for YOU �Digital products are made to be sold digitally.. That's on the internet.

Bro, the subject (thread) is about the trials and tribulations of starting and running a successful real estate business along with family responsibilities. Try to stay focused.
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Cigarorealtyltd: 10:58am On Sep 13, 2022
Continue619:

Good afternoon ma , please I want to go into Real Estate, if you are seen this my write up help and contact me, am a newly graduate from civil Engineering
This is my number 08035445354
seen, follow our social media handles and stay tuned for more, � thank you
Re: What I Have Learnt As A Woman In Real Estate by Cigarorealtyltd: 11:02am On Sep 13, 2022
IAmTobore:
first off, we all know categorically, how boys are when growing up, it is an adjective used to relate to that in that aspect, secondly, the woman is Infact a complete Nigerian and resides in lagos.
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / BREAKING: Festus Keyamo, 29 Others Approved As SAN / Resignation Letter Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.