Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,675 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

When The Dead Owe The Church. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When The Dead Owe The Church. (349 Views)

Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. / How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland / ERE OWE Yoruba(yoruba Proverbs Game):come in,participate And learn! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When The Dead Owe The Church. by dotun4light(m): 5:39pm On Sep 12, 2022
This may not be the best or the kind of write up you expect to come across on Nairaland, but indulge me to put down a piece of my mind.

I respect culture and tradition, likewise religion. Culture and tradition helps to forge peace, love and unity in a society. Religion on a long helps to shape our way of life in relation to divinity.

Culture and Religion are awesome because I believe that with them, we should enjoy some form of liberty and the right to positive choices in life. But "IRONICALLY", these two aspect that affect our lives could be"ENSLAVING".

To cut my long story short, in this part of the world, our traditions are putting so much burden on us than it should be. And the churches are not helping matters.

Imagine that someone dies. And you as a child(ren) is/are expected to provide all manner of items to the deceased's maternal/paternal people in the name of informing and inviting them to the burial. And, they will always come to the burial with all manner of crazy demands.

The most shocking part is the church telling the deceased's family that the deceased is owning this dues or that dues, which has to be paid before the dead can be buried. Hence, placing more burden on the deceased's child(ren).

I only wonder when these rubbish will stop.
Re: When The Dead Owe The Church. by incandescentena: 5:43pm On Sep 12, 2022
Religion/Africa and its baggages
Re: When The Dead Owe The Church. by TA4TA4: 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2022
dotun4light:
This may not be the best or the kind of write up you expect to come across on Nairaland, but indulge me to put down a piece of my mind.

I respect culture and tradition, likewise religion. Culture and tradition helps to forge peace, love and unity in a society. Religion on a long helps to shape our way of life in relation to divinity.

Culture and Religion are awesome because I believe that with them, we should enjoy some form of liberty and the right to positive choices in life. But "IRONICALLY", these two aspect that affect our lives could be"ENSLAVING".

To cut my long story short, in this part of the world, our traditions are putting so much burden on us than it should be. And the churches are not helping matters.

Imagine that someone dies. And you as a child(ren) is/are expected to provide all manner of items to the deceased's maternal/paternal people in the name of informing and inviting them to the burial. And, they will always come to the burial with all manner of crazy demands.

The most shocking part is the church telling the deceased's family that the deceased is owning this dues or that dues, which has to be paid before the dead can be buried. Hence, placing more burden on the deceased's child(ren).

I only wonder when these rubbish will stop.

Happened to us.... Anglican church said dad was owing tithe so they won't Bury him..... I asked, will the tithe prevent him from going to where he is to spend his eternity?

They were looking at me like okpoloko fish... Without answers..... Funny enough, it was found out that he wasn't owing.... I knew where his tithe card was and when I brought it out he was up to date.... Tye person in charge of keeping records in the church wasn't updating the records....

By then, I knew in my mind I ain't going back to Anglican church anymore....

(1) (Reply)

Plots Of Land For Sale At Ketu-epe, Lagos / Olowu Of Kuta Elevated As Vice Chairman Osun Council Of Obas / Who Are The Yoruba People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.