Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,931 members, 7,810,595 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: (13928 Views)

List Of Part Time Courses (yabatech) / LASU Part-time Students Protest, Shut Fashola’s Office / Lasu Part Time Campus Result Is Out. Good Luck Lasuites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by funmeme(f): 9:47am On Aug 11, 2011
THE Lagos State University will no longer run part time courses in any of its faculties as from the next academic session.

This follows the cancellation of its School of Part Time Studies by the state government as a way of streamlining its focus to enable it to get through with accreditation of many of its courses.

A statement by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Education, Chief Fatai Olukoga, explained that the decision to cancel the external system in the school was based on the recommendation and decision of its Governing Council.

Source from http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110811852160
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by funmeme(f): 9:48am On Aug 11, 2011
My own concern is will the students now go for service how about the working class
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by Remii(m): 9:52am On Aug 11, 2011
This is a great decision, the LASU SPTS has been a huge fruad and rip off on helpless students with some of them speding 8 yrs , so many missing results, and all kinds of frustrations all with illussions of getting eduaction they missed while working.

I think Unilag DLI is a better system.
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by pheesayor(m): 4:53pm On Aug 11, 2011
This is a welcome development. I just finished from festac campus and was shocked when I found out that the two previous sets before ours are still awaiting their results, quite unfair.
As for service I don't know about that, all I'm sure of is getting letter of exemption after results have been sorted out.
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by donjon: 7:35pm On Aug 11, 2011
Hmmm! I dont know what to say- lasu has a lot of problems politically
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by dramenda(f): 2:17pm On Aug 15, 2011
Better
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by GMcompere: 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2011
@ dramenda

Better ooooo, i can imaging the king of graduate they are breeding.

Yeah I can imagine the kind of school you attended grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by Ournaija: 2:38pm On Aug 15, 2011
I wonder why it took Fashola such a long time before taking the right the decision. That school was such a big shame.
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by haykay2005: 3:19pm On Aug 15, 2011
seconded
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by Bestglo(f): 3:21pm On Aug 15, 2011
GMcompere:

@ dramenda

Yeah I can imagine the kind of school you attended grin grin grin grin grin grin

i can imagine how you got him there  grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by nethacker(m): 3:39pm On Aug 15, 2011
at last.IMO i think SPTS shld be investigated and checked. Unilag DLI only offer commercial courses and some science education courses,
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by Gbenge77(m): 3:41pm On Aug 15, 2011
dramenda:

Better ooooo, i can imaging the king of graduate they are breeding.
"Imaging" or" Imagine"?
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by wunmiccsp: 3:43pm On Aug 15, 2011
Become a Certfied Customer Service Professional or Manager today.

Powered by CCSP in partnership with Customer 1st Uk.

Join the Current Class. You can achieve this certification program either online or by attending classes

Visit our www.ccsponline.net for details or email customerservice@ccsponline.net

You may call right away, Wunmi 08064892126

Differentiate yourself today. Take action, One little Step, One Giant Career Leap

CCSP, Next Generation Customer Service consultants

7Ikorodu Road, Maryland, By Maryland BRT Bus Stop, Lagos
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by festuskol(m): 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2011
will this equally affect the students of sandwich as well
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by ttemmi(m): 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2011
funmeme:

My own concern is will the students now go for service how about the working class

No part-time student is eligible/entitled  to go for NYSC  cry  cry  cry  cry
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by dave2(m): 4:29pm On Aug 15, 2011
GMcompere:

@ dramenda

U have made my day with this post cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
No be small thing ooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by TeskyMan(m): 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2011
Remii:

This is a great decision, the LASU SPTS has been a huge fruad and rip off on helpless students with some of them speding 8 yrs , so many missing results, and all kinds of frustrations all with illussions of getting eduaction they missed while working.

I think Unilag DLI is a better system.

[size=15pt]Incomparable Indeed!!!

Unilag DLI is far better in terms of structure and organisation. I don't know why it took the government so long to take this decision.

Nice one.
[/size]
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by blaqqyboi: 6:24pm On Aug 15, 2011
what happens to the students that are yet to graduate? as in 1, 2, 3 & 400L students, se owo o ti jona bayi?
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by benzion72(m): 6:53pm On Aug 15, 2011
LASU part time is a fruad and they speicalised in producung the worst cropof graduate in Nigeria. I do ask them a question which all of them never seems to understand. Ask any of them who is there Deen and HOD some will tell you is Mallam Sanni. I have never seen any school whose Deen is a mallam and not Doctor or aProfessor
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by Osas006: 8:07pm On Aug 15, 2011
A bold step taken in D rite direction
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by dramenda(f): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2011
i
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by klas(m): 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2011
benzion72:

LASU part time is a fruad and they speicalised in producung the worst cropof graduate in Nigeria. I do ask them a question which all of them never seems to understand. Ask any of them who is there their Deen Dean and HOD some will tell you is Mallam Sanni. I have never seen any school whose Deen Dean is a mallam and not Doctor or aProfessor

Deen is arabic word for religion, so they are correct in relating it to mallam sanni grin

sorry, I couldnt help correcting some fundamental errors there to make for easy comprehension. Other typos excepted. embarassed
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2011
klas:

Deen is arabic word for religion, so they are correct in relating it to mallam sanni grin

sorry, I couldnt help correcting some fundamental errors there to make for easy comprehension. Other typos excepted. embarassed

Lol you got my ribs cracking!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by JimmyBoy1: 6:35am On Aug 16, 2011
I am aware of several challenges facing part-time programs and students that passed through LASU seem to have the worst stories. Many of them have lost good opportunities to land good jobs because the scholla will not just release their results after three or four years of completing their final exams. However, we have to understand why part-time programmes are needed. The economic condition since IBB times have been such that young secondary school leavers have to fend for themselves in order to relieve their families of some economic hardship.Therefore, part-time programmes remain the only avenue for these people to get tertiary education. Therefore, cancellation of part-time programmes by LASU is like throwing away the baby with the bathwater. They should have just restructure the programmes and remove all administrative hiccups.LASG should reconsider the move as not all students are priviledged to have parents that can take care of their education, should the society now turn its back at these people?
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by funmeme(f): 11:24am On Aug 16, 2011
@Jimmy Boy,

i feel ur post so much, i've been thinking how will the working class survive this? to tell the truth alot of pple can not afford to go on full time course, i av a friend who lost her dad n mom the same yr, has 3younger once to take care of and the only way she could cope was school and work at the same time which to the glory of God she's now in her final yr also workin. imagine if there was no PT, how wud she cope cos with the job sef e no easy at alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,

like yu said, the govt shud av restructured the programme instead of de scrapping thingy. i am not happy with this move cos i wonder how alot of strugglers out there will have to go through, meaning some pple will neva av access to education again since there only hope is gone. sad
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by funmeme(f): 11:26am On Aug 16, 2011
@Jimmy Boy,

i feel your post so much, i've been thinking how will the working class survive this? to tell the truth alot of pple can not afford to go on full time course, i av a friend who lost her dad n mom the same yr, has 3younger once to take care of and the only way she could cope was school and work at the same time which to the glory of God she's now in her final yr also workin. imagine if there was no PT, how wud she cope cos with the job sef e no easy at alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,

like yu said, the govt shud av restructured the programme instead of de scrapping thingy. i am not happy with this move cos i wonder how alot of strugglers out there will have to go through, meaning some pple will neva av access to education again since there only hope is gone.my yoruba people say '' ORI BIBE KO LOGUN ORI FIFO'' sad
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by JimmyBoy1: 11:34am On Aug 16, 2011
@funmeme- I hope common sense will prevail eventually.
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by lastpage: 12:53pm On Aug 16, 2011
The problem with LASU goes far deeper than just the Part-Time Programme!

This is a school that gets shut-down for three-quarters of the academic year, every year! Its either they are fighting LASG or they are fighting themselves (Lecturers) or the Cultist have machete everyone in sight!

A year ago, it was even "Juju" (Yes, Juju, in a citadel of learning! grin ) that was placed everywhere on Campus and a few people l know personally, died as a result (Ask any LASU student about these things).

Mediocrity is the watch-word in academic appointments, only people with Political affiliation to ACN (Tinubu, Fashola, e.t.c., gets the juicy posts!). What do you expect from such an institution?

I dont know if it is the "second/final term syndrome" but Guv'nor Fashola, as much as l admire him, is taking a lot of rash, ill-thought out decisions of recent!

Why must it be the "innocent students" who have coughed out large sums of money, be made the scape-goat or are they entitled to a refund of money and time wasted?

Like "funmeme" (l like that name sha wink ) and "Jimmy Boy" have suggested, you should not throw the baby away with the bath-water.
Restructure the school. Put competent people in core-positions. Remove Politics completely from the administration of that school.

Lets hope the Gov'nor will "sleep over' his decision and get sound advice from his people.

BTW: What will happen to our likeable Deputy Gov'nor of Lagos now, who is a year 2 student of the Agege Campus of the same Part-time programme? Madam, abeg speak to Fashola on your own behalf naah or is it a case of O-Y-O? (On your own!)
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by EmmaAjayi(m): 4:44pm On Aug 16, 2011
Forgive them Oh Lord for they know not what they were saying. What do you expect will happen to those who are in 300, 400 Levels?
Pls my people bear in mind that fingers are not equal. Part time Programmes are everywhere in Nigeria & this is the only available opportunity for people to get their Bsc. If UNILAG is running distance learning programmes, do they not have their own shortcomings as well? And what stops others higher institutions from running their own?
Even those who had their Bsc at full time before started working are still taking their MBA which is a part time programme too.
What l expect is to advise for reorg in LASU so to say. Make una no spoil people life o.
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by Nymphnode(m): 8:37am On Aug 17, 2011
Unilag DLI cannot cater for the number of intended students. At least they(unilag) will generate more revenue from sale of registration forms. But its good news for other schools like Adekunle Ajasin, Olabisi Onabanjo e.t.c
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by kalabi: 5:16pm On Aug 17, 2011
My best friend graduated from Jibowu Campus in year 2007, up till now he has not collected his result due to poor management and fraud that has been the order of the day in all this campuses. i paid for acceptance form in Jibowu Campus in 2003, this my friend advised me that i should not come and join him in Lasu i should rather go to DLI , I got admission to DLI in 2004 i finished 1n 2009, i have collected my l statement of result, am waiting for my certificate this October. My friend has alredy spent 2 years in Lasu before my addmission, has not been able to get his result, recently he almost got Job in a multinational company he presented TO WHOM which is not enough for the employer, employer asked him that, as an auditor, what will you do if u audit a company payroll and u discovered that somebody was employed without result after graduating for the past 4 years? my friend could not answer

My friend is a brilliant guy, he came out of Polytechnic with Upper credit (OND), but he struggled to finish with second class lower in Lasu while those other student that pay their way out either in cash or body or in kind pass with second class upper, this my friend always teaches them in their tutorial they even nick name him 'Proff'. He has finished his OND since year 2000 and still working about with that OND till today.

I think Lagos State Government has taken a right decision. Every change in life always come with its sacrifice, if we are being sentimental about this issue more people that are looking for admission will still fall victim. my friend case is just one out of thousand graduating student that are still Waiting for messiah to deliver them from LASU

my advise is that Government should plan for the existing student so that their money and time will not be wasted. if they want to run part time they should run it inside main campus and they should not franchised part time to business people.
Re: LASU Part-time Courses Scrapped By Lagos State Government: by sammieone(m): 6:50pm On Aug 17, 2011
Can someone confirm what happens to student in 200 level, 300 and 400 level.
I have friends are their campus who hardly go to class but pay her way thru all test and exams. She already know that either you write the exam or not you will still have to the lectures for grades. She always feel she will give them money. Corruption there is on high level

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU/NEC Meets Today In Minna. / What Made You So Popular In Secondary School? / A Public Or Private University - Please Which Should I Go For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.