Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall (36723 Views)

Umuocham Road Aba Flooded After Rainfall Today (video) / Ikeja After Rainfall (Video) / Lagos Streets Flooded After Rainfall (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by anonimi: 9:33am On Sep 13, 2022
PureFace1:
New York also get flooded some time

Exactly.
And Lagos also has metro/light rail like New York moving millions of people daily since June 2013 when Fashola said it will be ready five months earlier, not so? Should we compare the percentage of NY children in free schools with enough teachers to Lagos situation?

Do you have any clues how to deliver people suffering from Stockholm syndrome juju? Many lagosians need that, don't you think

SB2020:
Interesting facts about Addis Ababa and Lagos light rail projects.

Addis Ababa / Lagos
Cost == $475Million / $1.2Billion
Length == 34km / 27km
Time to Complete == 4years / 7years (projected)
Year Awarded == 2011 / 2008 (Construction began 2010)
Contractor == China Railway Eng. Corp (CREC) /Chinese Civil Eng. Constr. Coy (CCECC)
Population == 5Million / 20Million

Ethiopia has managed to deliver Sub-Saharan Africa’s first modern light rail project which opened in the capital Addis Ababa on Sunday, and in the process, beat Lagos whose own rail project remains four years behind schedule.

Ethiopia’s rail project was delivered on time, despite its being longer than the Lagos – Badagry rail line currently under construction.

Addis Ababa’s two line 34-kilometre system was built by the China Railway Engineering Corporation (CREC) and cost $475m, 85 percent of which has been covered by China’s Exim bank. The Lagos Light Rail Project or Blue on Badagry Expressway, was to have 13 stations from Okokomaiko to Marina via Iddo for a total of 27 kilometres.

The contract was awarded to the Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) at the cost of $1.2 billion in 2008, and was to be delivered in 2011. Survey work took one year between August 2009 and August 2010 while construction began July 2010.

The work is being implemented using the public and private partnership (PPP) model, whereby the state builds the infrastructure and the private sector provides the rolling stock and management. However, the project has not worked out according to the plan.
The 2011 deadline was missed, even though the State government got a loan to fund the project.

Source
http://businessdayonline.com/2015/09/addis-ababa-beats-lagos-to-light-rail-as-construction-delays-mount/

Lagos light rail’ll be ready in June – Fashola
January 9, 2013

The Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday said the first phase of the state Blue Light Rail project would be completed by June this year(2013).

He expressed confidence that Lagosians would start enjoying the services of the rail project immediately.

The first phase would run from Marina and terminated at Okokomaiko area in Ojo Local Government.

Fashola spoke during an inspection of ongoing projects in the state which took him and his cabinet members to Orile-Iganmu, Alimosho and Ejigbo areas among others to assess the level of works being done by contractors.

The governor, who inaugurated the trackwork of the blue light rail at Alaba Suru, Coker-Agunda Local Council Development Area, said the level of work on the road and those of the National Theatre and Alaba-Mile 2 rail stations, would ensure early completion

He said, “In order to finish the project, the contractor did not go on vacation during the festive period. This will ensure that the project is delivered on time for the use of Lagosians.

“The first section of this rail, which started from National Theatre, Orile-Iganmu to Mile 2 Bus Stop, would be fully completed with the tracks laid.

“Construction work will continue on the project from Orile-Iganmu to Marina, the expansion work on the road from Mile 2 to Okokomaiko will also be intensified.

“This is what we do with the loan collected by the government. We don’t use our loan to pay salaries and other recurrent expenditure, what we do with our loan is to provide capital projects that would serve the residents.

“When the project is completed, the state would be at par with other major cities of the world.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-light-railll-be-ready-in-june-fashola/

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/114370-lagos-light-rail-project-to-be-ready-in-june-fashola.html

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by BabaO2: 9:34am On Sep 13, 2022
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Lagos

One hell of a damnnn overrated place
Obviously the people living there are dirty and not orgarnised, is it the government that is throwing around all those rubbish floating on the water, is it the government that will sweep their sorroundings and clean their gutters for them?
Floods can happen, it happens everywhere in the world in Britain, France etc not peculiar to Lagos, CDA leadership of estates/community must respond to their responsibilities, not just having meetings and sharing residents money. It is a big shame to the leadership of that estate
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by uvie66: 9:34am On Sep 13, 2022
Racoon:
Second Lagos Lagoon. Anyway, perrinal flooding is a problem in the Island. Pity the people staying in this area.
.....it is perennial !!!!
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by HIPROFILE(m): 9:34am On Sep 13, 2022
Shey na the Lagos weh Tinubu built be this?
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by JackHamma1234(m): 9:36am On Sep 13, 2022
The heavenly land that BAT built... The land one second to Dubai, quatar, London, Sweden... The land so well constructed and advanced in technology, development and structures that you will not see a single thing out of place , the greatest city in Africa na em you dey look so ohhh.... The BAT LAND...
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 13, 2022
theNOISEmaker:
Omo

Nairalanders, What do i do to earn money online? Even if it's #500 daily biko.. Sombody should put me through.

So many bro

You got people that own cars in your area. Go to them and ask to help them wash it

This season now go to schools in your area, you could help them clear the grasses

You could even do laundry for some people

On Saturdays go to events ask to see the caterer. Request to help wash the dishes when they are done

Bro e many to survive
God will see you through

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by kingamaa(m): 9:39am On Sep 13, 2022
The rich also cry
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by SeriouslySense(m): 9:41am On Sep 13, 2022
Ohh dear, i still think Lagos is really overrated.
Babysho:
All of you saying Lagos is overrated and all that should keep shut. The lack of proper drainage system that led to this flooding is on purpose. THEY'RE PREPARING THE ESTATE FOR DOLPHINS.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by anonimi: 9:41am On Sep 13, 2022
BabaO2:

Obviously the people living there are dirty and not orgarnised, is it the government that is throwing around all those rubbish floating on the water, is it the government that will sweep their sorroundings and clean their gutters for them?
Floods can happen, it happens everywhere in the world in Britain, France etc not peculiar to Lagos, CDA leadership of estates/community must respond to their responsibilities, not just having meetings and sharing residents money. It is a big shame to the leadership of that estate

Let me see if I can redeem you of your arrogant ignorance since you don't know that government is paid taxes and receives IGR on behalf of the people to deal with sewage and refuse while keeping gutters clean and clear. Why do you think oyinbo LGA equivalents employ escapee Lagosians who think that they are diasporas in such street sweeping jobs, like we used to do before rogues like Thiefnuibu dominated governments at the local, state and federal levels?

leavegoodbehind:
STATUTORY FUNCTIONS OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS
The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 provides in the Fourth Schedule the main functions of Local Governments in Nigeria as follows: –

(a)the consideration and the making of recommendations to a State Commission on Economic Planning or any similar body on:
(i) the economic development of the State, particularly in so far as the areas of authority of the Council and of the State are affected, and
(ii) proposals made by the said Commission or body;
(b) collection of rates, radio and television licences;
(c) establishment and maintenance of cemeteries, burial grounds and homes for the destitute or infirm;
(d) licensing of bicycles, trucks (other than mechanically-propelled trucks), canoes, wheel barrows and carts;
(e) establishment, maintenance and regulation of slaughter houses, slaughter slabs, markets, motor parks and public conveniences;
(f) construction and maintenance of roads, streets, street lightings, drains and other public highways, parks, gardens, open spaces, or such public facilities as maybe prescribed from time to time by the House of Assembly of a State;
(g) naming of roads and streets, and numbering of houses;
(h) provision and maintenance of public conveniences, sewage and refuse disposal;
(i) registration of all births, deaths and marriages;
(i) out-door advertising and hoarding;
(ii) movement and keeping of pets of all descriptions;
(iii) shops and kiosks;
(iv) restaurants, bakeries and other places for sale of food to the public,
(v) laundries, and
(vi) licensing, regulation and control of the sale of liquor.

Apart from these exclusive functions, the function of Local Governments shall include participation of such Councils in the government of a state as respects the following matters:

(a) the provision and maintenance of primary, adult and vocational education;
(b) the development of agriculture and natural resources other than the exploitation of minerals;
(c) the provision and maintenance of health services; and
(d) such other functions as may be conferred on a local Government Council by the House of Assembly of the State.

As provided for in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Local Governments have functions and responsibilities assigned.
Some of these functions are performed exclusively by the Local Government like the maintenance of cemeteries, markets and motor parks. On the other hand, some other functions and responsibilities are performed concurrently with the State Government. Among these concurrent functions are primary education, agriculture, health and any other functions that may be conferred on Local Government by the House of Assembly of the State. As can be seen, these various functions and responsibilities of Local Governments are quite enormous and demanding. The tragedy of the situation is that Local Governments have very limited and circumscribed sources of revenue to enable them execute meaningfully and effectively the functions and responsibilities assigned to them.

In my local government at Ajeromi Ifelodun in Ajegunle, we have not felt the presence of local government at all, take for instance, the road from otto – wharf to Achakpo have never been maintained for as provided in the constitution, the question begging for an answer, is what do the Ajeromi Local Government do with money that go to them? HOW IS YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT?, express your mind if indeed they are working now that you know their functions.

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by frog12: 9:43am On Sep 13, 2022
the problem is favouritism and nepotism. they most likely gave the slots to people they know and these people do no maintain anything. Even in VI, you go see plastic bottles fill gutters and yet Sanwo-Olu claims he is working. these things are a big EYE-SORE. these people can not manage cities, yet they want to rule the country sad sad

BabaO2:

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Neoteny(m): 9:45am On Sep 13, 2022
So now we'll find out whether there really are dolphins there.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by kelvin1191(m): 9:46am On Sep 13, 2022
When you live in dolphin estate, you must learn how to swim
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Angrygoat: 9:47am On Sep 13, 2022
Over heating loading for sedan cars,i see prices of top gasket sky rocketing atladipo.hahahahaha. na suv win am for flood. Set awon fj cruiser,4 runner,crv 07upwarfs,acura mdx 07 upwards, rav 4 06 fit manage enter flood.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Successlane: 9:47am On Sep 13, 2022
RobsonsTARz:
Tinubu built this one too?

I doubt.

mmmm... yes, I think is Peter Obi.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Sixfiguresmart(m): 9:50am On Sep 13, 2022
emi lokan could not build proper irrigation even after 8 years

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by JOemmy(m): 9:50am On Sep 13, 2022
theNOISEmaker:
Omo

Nairalanders, What do i do to earn money online? Even if it's #500 daily biko.. Sombody should put me through.

Contact me on this Whatsapp number (090 5884 6849) i have a site where u can be earning $2.8 daily without any deposits all you need is a govt ID for verification.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Nwaotu10(m): 9:51am On Sep 13, 2022
melody91:
abi na.. your kinsmen full park as we dey talk boarding buses to Lagos
Yes! to hustle fervently and purchase your ancestral land. grin
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Racoon(m): 9:52am On Sep 13, 2022
uvie66:
.....it is perennial !!!!
Noted sir. Thank you.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by azikiweironsi(m): 9:52am On Sep 13, 2022
Some people rushed here to mock Lagos as if their former governor Ngige didn't live in Ikoyi before. Even used it to brag when facing a panel headed by Faleke in the assembly calling the senator Mushin boy and boasting that he was Ikoyi boy. Who's fooling who ?

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Hydroxide(m): 9:54am On Sep 13, 2022
Na Abuja sure pass when you don cash out better style. Lagos is a mess las las
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Advocate500: 9:54am On Sep 13, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

If Aba is flooded then it is pure misgovernance because that is what you all say, type and do; blame HE Ikpeazu but for Lagos where I know a lot has been done to deflood and create more giant channels then it is climate change like the west.

If you know Dolphin you won't even be surprised it is flooded.
oga I am not holding brief for anyone,you don't see me praising or glorifying any individual,I am more concerned about the development of my country than any ethnic superiority contest,I am just pointing out the hypocrisy wether natural or artificial,if you are experiencing flood in your state and see it as natural disaster.oga you lack the moral right to mock or criticise for the same situation you are into.is called hypocrisy.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Panda7(m): 9:56am On Sep 13, 2022
looks like lagos is an islamic state
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by BabaO2: 9:58am On Sep 13, 2022
anonimi:

Let me see if I can redeem you of your arrogant ignorance since you don't know that government is paid taxes and receives IGR on behalf of the people to deal with sewage and refuse while keeping gutters clean and clear. Why do you think oyinbo LGA equivalents employ escapee Lagosians who think that they are diasporas in such street sweeping jobs, like we used to do before rogues like Thiefnuibu dominated governments at the local, state and federal levels?

I wonder who is ignorant and arrogant here. The document you highlighted clearly shows public, but because of your ignorance and lack of knowledge you are still blaming the government. Endeavor to visit estates with good leadership for education before talking on issue you are alien to.

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by anonimi: 9:58am On Sep 13, 2022
Nathan2016:
Eko of Tinubu.

The paradise he built.

More like the paradise he looted hence the gods are angry with him. Abi why is he wearing pampers already with his young age of 70 years old, with shaky shaky Alzheimer hands

Realdeals:
1. The first governor to present a billion Naira state budget in Nigeria.

2. He phased out the shift system in Lagos schools in three months. He built functional classrooms to absorb those who only attend schools for three hours a day.

3. He opened up what is now known as the Lekki Corridor.

4. He built the biggest Housing estate by a state government at Abesan, along with five other estates.

5. He built LASU, LACOED, LASPOTECH and Technical schools to absorb the products of the free education policy.

6 He built General Hospitals and Health centers in all the five divisions of Lagos. He also upgraded General Hospital Ikeja to the Medical arm of LASU.

7. He created the Agric hub at Oko Oba. He also created similar hubs in Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry.

8. His government’s strict adherence to the party manifesto of Free Education, Free Health care, Rural integration and Housing for all, along with other UPN governors, created the largest pool of human resources in Nigeria.

9. He moved the Lagos State Government Secretariat from PWD to Alausa, which he built from scratch. He also lived in his personal house and drove his personal car throughout his tenure.

Gani Kayode Balogun Jr

https://www.newsheadlines.com.ng/showtime-people/2019/07/24/jakande-90-9-achievements-of-alhaji-lateef-jakande-as-lagos-governor/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by shiwex: 9:59am On Sep 13, 2022
Tinubu's Lagos......Glorified SLUM.

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Babysho(m): 9:59am On Sep 13, 2022
SeriouslySense:
Ohh dear, i still think Lagos is really overrated.

The joke flew over your head like the dolphins on my post
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by anonimi: 10:00am On Sep 13, 2022
BabaO2:
I wonder who is ignorant and arrogant here. The document you highlighted clearly shows public, but because of your ignorance and lack of knowledge you are still blaming the government. Endeavor to visit estates with good leadership for education before talking on issue you are alien to.

In summary the government (local, state and federal) have no oversight responsibility for private estates to ensure they conform with set environmental standards, right

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by shiwex: 10:01am On Sep 13, 2022
anonimi:

More like the paradise he looted hence the gods are angry with him. Abi why is he wearing pampers already with his young age of 70 years old, with shaky shaky Alzheimer hands

Why not also tell us about the debt profile he left. How he increased debt profile of Lagos state into billions of Naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by anonimi: 10:02am On Sep 13, 2022
shiwex:
Tinubu's Lagos......Glorified SLUM.

More like glorified SCAM, just like everything about Thiefnuibu of no primary and secondary school.
Too many suffering & smiling Lagosians is why Thiefnuibu feels like a superstar with his fellow rogues who have ruined the city since 1999.

1 Like

Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by FreeStuffsNG: 10:03am On Sep 13, 2022
Advocate500:
oga I am not holding brief for anyone,.
You are not clear. My point is that I know why my own city is flooded and not that of Aba but since I do not know why that of Aba is so, I quoted the reasons stated by Aba folks. I do not condemn anyone or in any contest. Lagos is my city and I can speak for my city alone.
For others, I rely on what they state as reason.
My city is not flooded because of misgovernance so speak for yourself.
Re: Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi Flooded After Rainfall by Treadway: 10:05am On Sep 13, 2022
Well, it is a DOLPHIN estate afterall tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Was Saved From A Train Accident That Killed 600 People - My Testimony / New Terminal Building International Wing Of Enugu International Airport.(photos) / Truck Crushes Soldier To Death In Lagos (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.