Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,222 members, 7,829,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria (37050 Views)

Ooni Imposes Night To Dawn Curfew In Ife Over Criminal Activities / Ooni Of Ife Shuts Palace Over Coronavirus, Suspends Traditional Activities / Kano Emirate: Low Activities In Sanusi’s Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by HocusPocus: 10:47am On Sep 15, 2022
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright....

We Edos dey guilty of number 2...Binis to be precise and esan people dey guilty of number 3

But that number 1 we nor dey guilty of that one at all

Infact we fit accept about 26 naira for bride price
But so far make you nor do our daughter anyhow for marriage

Igbos are guilty of number 1

yes o esan people dey guilty of number 3
But Omo eyes don dey open
My uncle tell us say when him die make we bury am for him house say make we nor carry him c*rpse go village
We follow him mouth o and nothing dey sup boss
All those talks na just big myth lol
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by highbee02: 10:51am On Sep 15, 2022
Muslims are not guilty of these
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by FrankAkowe: 10:52am On Sep 15, 2022
Culture should be dynamic not static. Nigerians really need to change some practices.

Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Popesuccess(m): 10:52am On Sep 15, 2022
Eriggs:

What part of Nigeria is this rampant?
Nairalanders, over to you.

Genuine answers only please.
The man i talked is from Akwa ibom state, he needs about one million for his mother's burial
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Ak75: 10:53am On Sep 15, 2022
1 million for mother's burrial only. Na for Haven dey one go dig the grave?
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Popesuccess(m): 10:58am On Sep 15, 2022
Africana1123:
1 traditional wedding is the cheapest in Nigeria am not talking about south east

2) as a Muslim you don’t need money for burial ,even people around will contribute to bury the dead that same day

3) I can’t judge this , some people don’t want to be buried in a strange land
Meself if I die naa Ibadan they go bury me grin No to strange land
God forbid, but lets you die in a situation where your corpse cannot be found. What now happens. Where one is buried doesn't matter. And make sure you make provision for the transport for your corpse before you die, so you don't Stress other people.

1 Like

Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Popesuccess(m): 10:59am On Sep 15, 2022
Rahkman:
Just say igbos oga .....which one be nigeria undecided
Every part of Nigeria is guity in one from the 3
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Truflexunits(m): 11:02am On Sep 15, 2022
You are really right on this one, cause somehow can be related to local government of origin issue.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by SaturnNick(m): 11:03am On Sep 15, 2022
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright....

We Edos dey guilty of number 2...Binis to be precise and esan people dey guilty of number 3

But that number 1 we nor dey guilty of that one at all

Infact we fit accept about 26 naira for bride price
But so far make you nor do our daughter anyhow for marriage

Igbos are guilty of number 1

Some cultures give out their girls free, in the name of 'dowry'. But the charges you go pay ehnnn, no be here ooo
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Popesuccess(m): 11:05am On Sep 15, 2022
Kingxchange44:
I was thought culture is people's way of life, allow them to practice their culture since it's not the reason banditry is high and our economy is going down.
While it put people under poverty and Stress. The reason i made this post is that man that his mother's people are billing 1 million for his mother's burial. A police man with 4 kids.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Freeze007(m): 11:06am On Sep 15, 2022
You are absolutely correct...if I had my way I would abolish burial rites performed by so called tradition with little compassion for the bearers of the brunt...Also the case of marriage rites and just bless the marriage instead and as for transporting dead bodies that is also a no-no, bury the person forthwith without delay, I hate the idea of injecting formaline in this dead bodies..

quote author=Popesuccess post=116680728]I have notice that some of the things we do in this country in the name of culture and tradition is Causing poor Nigerians more trouble and we need to change.

1. High Cultural cost of marriage.

2. High Cultural cost of burial. A man in my church have not being able to perform the burial rites for his mother because he will at least one million to do it. He is the only child.

3. Transporting dead bodies from the place they died to the village. [/quote]
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by marlow1962(m): 11:09am On Sep 15, 2022
Igboslayer:
The culture I hate is the habit of anger... when you have issues with anyone and they get annoyed too easily... I no like am. You jam my car, na you carry blow come instead of say make we discuss.
As em jam your car cun still throw you punch, then na for you to use cutlass or broken bottle take follow the person up( sense must be installed)
Funny thing is that this nonsense is more rampant among keke ppl, they hit you and still try to claim right. Inside last 2-3months one hit my car cun still dy sharp mouth, as I load am one for face em mind cun dy say no be everybody dy play for this country. The tin pain me to the extent I gat seize em keke key cun still push am enter car, I gv am free ride to mechanic shop make pay for damages
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by ImperialYoruba: 11:11am On Sep 15, 2022
Eriggs:

What part of Nigeria is this rampant?
Nairalanders, over to you.

Genuine answers only please.

All three points listed are ibo culturals
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 11:11am On Sep 15, 2022
I agree with number 1 and 2, but not number three, people have connections to their lands.

Number one and two are very obvious, why should one spend money for people who do not even like you, for marriage and burial, it should be optional.

There are some places where people have nothing else to look forward to, than burial, because of the food and drinks. Its better to celebrate a person when they were living.

The increased traffic of people travelling the bad roads due to burials, sometimes leads to more death. Sometimes families die in the process of travelling to bury the dead or to attend the burial of an associate.

So maybe instead of food and drinks in burial, i think, there can be celebrations when people are alive they should be celebrated, with food and drinks and invite people.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Africana1123(m): 11:20am On Sep 15, 2022
Popesuccess:
God forbid, but lets you die in a situation where your corpse cannot be found. What now happens. Where one is buried doesn't matter. And make sure you make provision for the transport for your corpse before you die, so you don't Stress other people.
Mr man that my plans and my wish
Say what you want for yourself

Stop quoting me with your negative thinking
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by ljoh: 11:29am On Sep 15, 2022
That burial is number 1
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Johel(m): 11:35am On Sep 15, 2022
Popesuccess:
I have notice that some of the things we do in this country in the name of culture and tradition is Causing poor Nigerians more trouble and we need to change.

1. High Cultural cost of marriage.

2. High Cultural cost of burial. A man in my church have not being able to perform the burial rites for his mother because he will at least one million to do it. He is the only child.

3. Transporting dead bodies from the place they died to the village.

Igbos...their cultural practices are really senseless and unnecessary...very few are civilised.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by BigIyanga: 11:36am On Sep 15, 2022
blamingthedevil:
Not in Nigeria, in the Eastern part of the country

Add

4. Osu slavery in South East
5. Inheritance for Female Child in South East

Or is it Queen Elizabeth II that caused all these?

May God deliver us from enemies within

God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria
.. Write a will and add ur daughters.. case closed. Supreme Court has ruled in favor of female.

1 Like

Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by stanluiz(m): 11:41am On Sep 15, 2022
No 1 and 2 should be scrapped most especially in igboland. The culture is wasteful outdated. People are tax a lot of money when they want to marry and also the same when they want to bury their loved ones. It is nothing but greediness and selfishness.

There nothing wrong in No 3.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Oduduwa707: 11:45am On Sep 15, 2022
Na Okoro pple dey worship money, abeg. All dem do is sell their daughters to the highest bidders. grin
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by fasa199(m): 11:47am On Sep 15, 2022
Alot of you are clamoring for all these to be changed. What you want to change to is someone’s tradition . The white wedding is someone's tradition, you may kiss the bride is someone's tradition. Burning of the dead body is someone's tradition. Let us leave our tradition alone so it doesn't go extinct and we all have to adopt the western transition.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by tochi314: 11:48am On Sep 15, 2022
No 1 is acceptable.No 1 is acceptable....
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by seanwilliam(m): 11:48am On Sep 15, 2022
HITsquad:
In my home town in Enugu, the actual official pride price is only about 4k, Out of the 4k, 3k would be refunded to you the groom, as a gesture that the bride is not for sale... We will tell him to take good care of our daughter!

Any additional expenses is your choice... If you wanna shut the city down or simply go home with your new wife jeje, it's your choice.
you mean I can choose to ignore the ‘long list’?
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by matrixme(m): 11:48am On Sep 15, 2022
you sound like one of these woke 1995 kids with your point 3. You don't know the cultural and spiritual implication of burying the dead where they wish, during their lifetime. It is a globally accepted practice, not show off.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by DamianX: 11:59am On Sep 15, 2022
See fools calling Igbo anyhow. How is it your business with how people decided to do their weddings and carry out their culture. These nairalanders are always stupid.

1 Like

Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Kingxchange44: 12:01pm On Sep 15, 2022
Popesuccess:
While it put people under poverty and Stress. The reason i made this post is that man that his mother's people are billing 1 million for his mother's burial. A police man with 4 kids.

He should understand their culture before he engaged himself into marrying their daughter. One thing is sure bro, culture can't be abolished, there is culture in everything part of the world.

For the man, he should seek for alternative to that surely there must be.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by DamianX: 12:05pm On Sep 15, 2022
stanluiz:
No 1 and 2 should be scrapped most especially in igboland. The culture is wasteful outdated. People are tax a lot of money when they want to marry and also the same when they want to bury their loved ones. It is nothing but greediness and selfishness.

There nothing wrong in No 3.

How is it your problem with his one wants to arrange his wedding or families want to arrange burials?. Did any complain to you or your tribe?
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Popesuccess(m): 12:08pm On Sep 15, 2022
Kingxchange44:

He should understand their culture before he engaged himself into marrying their daughter. One thing is sure bro, culture can't be abolished, there is culture in everything part of the world.

For the man, he should seek for alternative to that surely there must be.
Is not for marriage is for burial. One million for burial Rites
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by DamianX: 12:08pm On Sep 15, 2022
Oduduwa707:
Na Okoro pple dey worship money, abeg. All dem do is sell their daughters to the highest bidders. grin

While afonjas give yours for Kobo kobo. Allow people do as them like when your daughter is getting married you can give her to her buyer for Kobo
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by dododawa1: 12:08pm On Sep 15, 2022
Only for IPOB.
Re: 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria by Kingxchange44: 12:09pm On Sep 15, 2022
Popesuccess:
Is not for marriage is for burial. One million for burial Rites

grin grin grin Abia is good at that, he should fill a case that's the way to win it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Princess Adeola-Ogunwusi In Nigeria For Her Fathers Wedding / Final Burial Ceremony Of Late Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi / Chief Prostrates To Beg Alaafin Of Oyo For Giving Fake Title To US Citizen.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.