Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders (11093 Views)

Kano Agency Impounds 4,600 Bottles Of Alcoholic Drinks / Lagos Impounds 100 Commercial Motorcycles / Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by adenigga(m): 4:43am On Sep 16, 2022

Statistics obtained from the Lagos State Police Command have shown that 1,490 persons consisting of miscreants, street traders, traffic offenders, among others, have been convicted for various offences in the state.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the convicts were among the 1,709 suspects arrested by policemen for various offences in the state between June 1 and September 9, 2022, a period in which the Lagos State Government reviewed the state traffic law guiding the activities of commercial motorcyclists in the state.

The review, among other reasons, came on the heels of the lynching of a sound engineer, David Imoh, by suspected commercial motorcyclists in the Lekki area of the state.

Following the tragic incident, a ban was placed on the operations of commercial motorcyclists in six local government areas, consisting of Eti Osa, Ikeja, Surulere, Lagos Island, Lagos Mainland and Apapa.

The enforcement of the ban began on June 1 with security agents patrolling the listed LGAs for errant motorcyclists who had been protesting against the ban.

Despite the protest, the government extended the ban to four more LGAs consisting of Kosofe, Oshodi-Isolo, Shomolu, and Mushin, on August 18.

In the statistics obtained from the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, enforcement of the ban on motorcycle operations between June 1 and September 9, 2022, led to the impoundment of 4,694 motorcycles from recalcitrant commercial motorcyclists.

In June 2022, 1,885 motorcycles were impounded for contravening the ban. A decline was recorded in July with 1,501 motorcycles impounded while August and September saw the impoundment of 1,029 and 279 motorcycles respectively.

However, out of the 1,709 persons arrested for contravening traffic laws, and committing other offences in the state, 131 suspects were screened out while a total of 1,578 were charged to court, leading to the conviction of 1,490.

Out of the 1,578 suspects prosecuted, eight had their cases struck out, 11 were discharged while 69 were still awaiting trial.

The statistics also confirmed the seizure of 26 tricycles from tricycle operators who, among other offences, contravened the traffic laws in the state.

The period also saw the seizure of 106 vehicles for driving against the traffic in the state.

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abiodun Alabi, said the enforcement of the ban on commercial motorcycles in some local governments in the state would be continuous in order to restore sanity to the affected areas.

Alabi, in a statement by the PPRO on Thursday, explained that Lagos, being the commercial capital of the nation, needed to be safe and orderly to attract more investments.

“The enforcement has to be continuous to maintain the tempo that we have attained within such a short time. Many of the seized motorcycles have been crushed, but the most important message that we want to pass across is compliance so that the government does not have to crush any motorcycles,” the police commissioner added.
Source: https://punchng.com/Lagos-govt-impounds-4694-motorcycles-convicts-1490-offenders

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by FreeStuffsNG: 4:46am On Sep 16, 2022
Wow!!! So some people still flouted the rule despite the long advance notice and several announcements to the citizens. O ga o

The LASG really mean serious business this time around. I read that crime report in those LGs had gone down by 83% and hipefully we will get the Orthopaedic/ General hospital/ Mortuary update on drastic fall in bike-related accidents and deaths.

I really applaud my Governor on enfircing this rule. Well done Lagos.

I appeal to Lagosians to cooperate with LASG. If you are a passenger, do not patronize bike whenever you are in those LGAs and if you are into okada business, move your business to the LGAs where Okada operation is allowed.
Itesiwaju Eko, ajumose ni.
check my signature for freebies!

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by deeptechcool(m): 4:48am On Sep 16, 2022
Lagos is working. The security of lives and property is of utmost importance.

Itesiwaju Eko, ajumose ni.

21 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by dunsionka: 5:31am On Sep 16, 2022
Wow

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Kurumaru: 5:47am On Sep 16, 2022
Eko ile

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by geedot: 5:48am On Sep 16, 2022
Imagine a situation where these bikes serves as a source of livelihood for some families that have undergraduates. What would happen to the kids now?

Pyhonist:

Imagine a situation where the bread winner of your family was the one killed by the senseless motorcyclists, What would happen to you or other members of your family now.
This truth is that we have so many idiots parading themselves as okada riders in Lagos and we will not condone their stupidity anymore.
I didn't expect much from you, since the average human only see things from their own angle only. But you could have quoted me without sounding stupid though. Only God knows what's wrong with some Nairalanders and stupidity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Funjosh(m): 5:48am On Sep 16, 2022
Very good.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Anigreat: 5:48am On Sep 16, 2022
shocked

Tinubu Legacy

Forcefully collecting people means of livelihood without any alternative. He makes life so unbearable to Lagosians..and this is an idiot agbadorian miscreants want to force me to vote for... føolish delusional bastards.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by eedimo(m): 5:49am On Sep 16, 2022
Oh
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by nymphomaniac(m): 5:49am On Sep 16, 2022
Why ban bikes without alternatives?

What will the ex bike riders do to feed their families?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by endsarrrs(f): 5:49am On Sep 16, 2022
angry
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Tinubuwins2023e: 5:50am On Sep 16, 2022
With Lagos blueprint, Nigeria is on the path to greatness.
We are talking about Lagos here which is a SW Yoruba region. Just watch how foreigners from the dead sun will masturbate on wetin no concern them.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Nobody: 5:50am On Sep 16, 2022
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Samfloxin(m): 5:56am On Sep 16, 2022
Why not charge those traffic offenders heavily instead of impounding and auctioning their cars

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by OniyideAmplify(m): 5:58am On Sep 16, 2022
The number of hanging legs and necks go don reduce for igbobi be that o.

Eko O ni Baje o

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by majamajic(m): 5:58am On Sep 16, 2022
Eko oni baje

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Preciousgift90: 6:00am On Sep 16, 2022
Bye bye to okada, they cause more harm

Lagosians will survive without it

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Mstick: 6:00am On Sep 16, 2022
The 25 years old "blueprint" expires next year and Lagos is still a money guzzling slum.

Imagine a big state collecting taxes for everything, still the number one most indebted state in Nigeria but no clean running water despite been surrounded by the ocean.

grin

Tinubuwins2023e:
With Lagos blueprint, Nigeria is on the path to greatness.
We are talking about Lagos here which is a SW Yoruba region. Just watch how foreigners from the dead sun will masturbate on wetin no concern them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by gift2xl: 6:01am On Sep 16, 2022
No alternative for this people.This government pattern of fixing things is wrong. No job employment no salary increment. And if you find a job their requirements includes 5, 10yrs experience.

How will a starter get experience if they have not been employed.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Antoeni(m): 6:01am On Sep 16, 2022
An Evil Devilish Government, Who Take Delight in inflicting Pains & Agony on his people, God Shall Arise And Crush All Pharaoh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by hollywater: 6:02am On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Tinubu Legacy

Forcefully collecting people means of livelihood without any alternative. He makes life so unbearable to Lagosians..and this is an idiot agbadorians miscreants want to force me to vote for... føolish delusional bastards.
Don't mind them.
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Oluwaseunomo: 6:02am On Sep 16, 2022
geedot:
Imagine a situation where these bikes serves as a source of livelihood for some families that have undergraduates. What would happen to the kids now?

They'll look for something else to do they sha didn't take their lives it's just bikes.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Fuckingmallam45(m): 6:02am On Sep 16, 2022
There was a quote I saw and I feel to share it, below is the quote about Tokyo with attached pictures. The purpose of sharing this post is to let Nigerians understand that the greatness of this country lies in our hands. We disobey the rules and regulations at any slight opportunity, yet we are aspiring for a better Nigeria, even though we are not ready to do what it takes to be great. It's the people living in a certain country that are developing the country not the government.
"While walking on the streets of Tokyo, I realised that the streets are cleaner than any place I have seen (except Iceland of course).

This was not the culture shock though.

I was shocked when I couldn’t find a bin on the street to dispose off the empty bottle of water I had grabbed.

One of the locals in the hostel told me that they have very few bins on the streets.

It amazes me how the Japanese are still able to keep the streets so clean.

I have been to quite a few places around the world but I am yet to see the Japanese level of commitment to cleanliness."

Can such a level of neatness happen in Nigeria?, can the people be well organized to this level? Yet we believe that all the problems came from the Government only. We never take responsibility, average Nigerians blame everything on others. Till today we still blame our colonizers, whereas other colonized countries have moved on.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Komu1048(m): 6:03am On Sep 16, 2022
Why it's true we need sanity in Lagos, especially how the so-called Okada riders are quick to lynch any suspected criminals.

The indigenous are feeling it as well, people living in Isolo, jakande to Ikotun are facing a hell of traffic n hike in price. Some don't get home until 12pm.

What I need the govt need to do is privatise motorcycle transport system that each riders must have minimum SSCE n must register with the appropriate body, they must present guarantor. So that the call be traced n they should freeze out the miscreant among them

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by bempirenig: 6:03am On Sep 16, 2022
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by akinmusi(m): 6:04am On Sep 16, 2022
A measure that needs a palliative measure.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Mbanks419: 6:04am On Sep 16, 2022
Only Peter Obi is the solution.......

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Musty112: 6:07am On Sep 16, 2022
Step by step, we'll get there. Nigerians have always been the problem of Nigeria and the country truly deserves better citizens

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Komu1048(m): 6:08am On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Tinubu Legacy

Forcefully collecting people means of livelihood without any alternative. He makes life so unbearable to Lagosians..and this is an idiot agbadorians miscreants want to force me to vote for... føolish delusional bastards.

Instead of u to focus your energy in kicking your father in the mouth instead of leg u used to. If he has been useful in his time he won't have raise a miserable non-entity like you whose aim is to bring down someone that your whole region couldn't pace his shoe

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Daddyyin: 6:08am On Sep 16, 2022
Good move! They should obey the law. To all their sympathizers, Lagos is far ahead of your states. I hope you will maintain the same energy when your states start copying Lagos.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by babaRUNtinz(m): 6:14am On Sep 16, 2022
Awon alaigboran.

Yanga dey sleep...
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Pyhonist: 6:20am On Sep 16, 2022
geedot:

Imagine a situation where the bread winner of your family was the one killed by the senseless motorcyclists, What would happen to you or other members of your family now.
This truth is that we have so many idiots parading themselves as okada riders in Lagos and we will not condone their stupidity anymore.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu To Present Action Plan To Private Sector Leaders In Lagos / Can We Have Someone Like Nelson Mandela In Nigeria? / A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.