Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders (11095 Views)

Kano Agency Impounds 4,600 Bottles Of Alcoholic Drinks / Lagos Impounds 100 Commercial Motorcycles / Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by crafteck(m): 8:47am On Sep 16, 2022
yemmywesey:

You are just talking from your own perspective, go to igbobi and luth to justify your self.
Okada riding is not a job, because the rider or passenger can die anytime.
90% of okada riders in Lagos are from the northern part of the country and Niger republic. How many of them owns a room or house in Lagos, they all have there governor's in their home state, where they all vote for election. They should go back to there home town and keep riding there bike.
Oga if there is no bike, go and buy a footwear and trek

I don buy footwear since, in plane accident, there is hardly any survival, should they ban planes too? They are meant to regulate it but they left the job to agberos.

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Olaiya26: 8:50am On Sep 16, 2022
adenigga:

Source: https://punchng.com/Lagos-govt-impounds-4694-motorcycles-convicts-1490-offenders

I still see some bike guys around ikeja along side....
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Carlylepneuma: 8:53am On Sep 16, 2022
Wen will they auction them?
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by CurrentSamuel(m): 8:55am On Sep 16, 2022
So so not good
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by chriss100: 10:04am On Sep 16, 2022
Komu1048:
Why it's true we need sanity in Lagos, especially how the so-called Okada riders are quick to lynch any suspected criminals.

The indigenous are feeling it as well, people living in Isolo, jakande to Ikotun are facing a hell of traffic n hike in price. Some don't get home until 12pm.

What I need the govt need to do is privatise motorcycle transport system that each riders must have minimum SSCE n must register with the appropriate body, they must present guarantor. So that the call be traced n they should freeze out the miscreant among them

Bro, I feel we should rather encourage those individuals to learn handwork and skilled labour. We are presently experiencing a shortfall in the availability of electricians, plumbers, painters, builders, mechanics etc. It’s so bad now that we are having to bring people from neighboring west African countries to fill the gap. I see this as a better option because skill acquisition would benefit this folks longterm compared to riding okada. No one wants to learn handwork now, all they want to do is ride okada to make quick cash.

Let’s also not forget the need to secure our region. Most of these bike riders are from Niger and chad. They aren’t even Nigerians, so it’s better they return to their place of origin. It’s not the job of the LASG to provide an alternative for these folks

I understand the inconvenience experienced by commuters at the moment but we need to make sacrifices for the benefit of our region. Okada mode of transportation has no future in Lagos, it was only a matter of time before we got rid of them. An outright ban in the state is inevitable. The onus is now placed at the feet of the LASG to fix inner roads, so it’s a lot easier for Keke and smaller buses to ply those roads/routes. A more secure Lagos/ SW is all we want.

It’s time our people from this economic demography/class enroll in vocational schools to acquire this skills, so we don’t have to hire folks from Benin and Togo. I know we cherish formal education here, but we all can’t be software engineers, medical doctors and lawyers. We also need these folks to play their role in the development of our region. Even developed countries like America understand the importance of vocational skilled labour.

Let’s always take every moment to extol the genius of our legendary father, Chief Obafemi Awolowo for the educational policies he gifted our fathers and mothers. We will make sure we pass it onto our next generation. Our region would continue to do dominate. May his legacy never die… May his soul continue to Rest In Peace. Amen

One last point bro, anyone with an SSCE should never consider riding okada as a means of livelihood, instead they should enroll in the university or technical colleges. Riding a bike after acquiring an SSCE would be tantamount to regression quite frankly. Vocational schools should be for those who didn’t have the opportunity to attend secondary school.

Bless bro. Take care

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by deeptechcool(m): 10:42am On Sep 16, 2022
Wakeup0oo:
How is it working, that 1000+ motorcycle sieze means 1000+ jobless individuals ready to commit any crime.

I pray you don't experience one of the atrocities committed by the unscrupulous elements among them. Their cons are more than pros sir/ma. I'm directly affected FYI.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Unrated900(m): 11:27am On Sep 16, 2022
60% of this okada are been sold to ogun state
Especially ifo sango and atan
Since ogun state govt is a novice to law
That statute there as governor is just embezzling funds claiming he doesn’t know where sango is located
Damboro shege

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 16, 2022
I
Okay
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by KunGioKehRah: 11:39am On Sep 16, 2022
Parachoko:
Where did it happen in Lagos State?

I saw it on tvc

If you think I am lying

Ask those who watched tvc yesterday
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by KunGioKehRah: 11:41am On Sep 16, 2022
Parachoko:
Where did it happen in Lagos State?

I saw it on tvc
If you think I am lying
Ask those who watched tvc yesterday

One of those guys even said they have wrote letter to the government but nothing has been done till this moment.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by YeyeGbami: 12:29pm On Sep 16, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Wow!!! So some people still flouted the rule despite the long advance notice and several announcements to the citizens. O ga o

The LASG really mean serious business this time around. I read that crime report in those LGs had gone down by 83% and hipefully we will get the Orthopaedic/ General hospital/ Mortuary update on drastic fall in bike-related accidents and deaths.

I really applaud my Governor on enfircing this rule. Well done Lagos.

I appeal to Lagosians to cooperate with LASG. If you are a passenger, do not patronize bike whenever you are in those LGAs and if you are into okada business, move your business to the LGAs where Okada operation is allowed.
Itesiwaju Eko, ajumose ni.
check my signature for freebies!

No they shouldn’t cooperate, they will learn the hard way. If lagos too hard for anyone to stay, they rather move to somewhere else where they can do anyhow. I pity no violators

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by RichAbujaGuy: 1:58pm On Sep 16, 2022
Instead of rotting, and rusting, the motorcycles should be tuned up and handed over to Naija Army soldiers to chase bandits, boko, Igbos into the bush/hiding places and neutralise all of dem evil miscreants.
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Sleekfingers: 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2022
nymphomaniac:
Why ban bikes without alternatives?

What will the ex bike riders do to feed their families?

Na only bike job dey? They should find something else to do or go to another state. No be by force to stay in Lagos

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by tsdarkside(m): 10:08pm On Sep 16, 2022
in nigeria,best is to take away the vehicle....

even if you take away their drivin licence like in western nations,nigerians would still bribe their way through and keep on drivin....

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by tsdarkside(m): 10:10pm On Sep 16, 2022
nymphomaniac:
Why ban bikes without alternatives?

What will the ex bike riders do to feed their families?

stvpid excuse....you bring such an excuse to western nations,they will laugh over you....

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by lailo: 10:14pm On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Tinubu Legacy

Forcefully collecting people means of livelihood without any alternative. He makes life so unbearable to Lagosians..and this is an idiot agbadorian miscreants want to force me to vote for... føolish delusional bastards.
These are the people who keep dragging Nigeria backward. Tufiakwa, I'm in same country with u. I just want this nation to be divided so that u people can have a country u worth. undecided
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by lailo: 10:15pm On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Tinubu Legacy

Forcefully collecting people means of livelihood without any alternative. He makes life so unbearable to Lagosians..and this is an idiot agbadorian miscreants want to force me to vote for... føolish delusional bastards.
These are the people who keep dragging Nigeria backward. Tufiakwa, I'm in same country with u. I just want this nation to be restructured so that u people can have a country u worth. undecided
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Wakeup0oo(m): 9:08am On Sep 17, 2022
deeptechcool:

I pray you don't experience one of the atrocities committed by the unscrupulous elements among them. Their cons are more than pros sir/ma. I'm directly affected FYI.
okay ooo, let's see what happens next grin
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by Lionnation: 9:54am On Sep 17, 2022
Fuckingmallam45:
There was a quote I saw and I feel to share it, below is the quote about Tokyo with attached pictures. The purpose of sharing this post is to let Nigerians understand that the greatness of this country lies in our hands. We disobey the rules and regulations at any slight opportunity, yet we are aspiring for a better Nigeria, even though we are not ready to do what it takes to be great. It's the people living in a certain country that are developing the country not the government.
"While walking on the streets of Tokyo, I realised that the streets are cleaner than any place I have seen (except Iceland of course).

This was not the culture shock though.

I was shocked when I couldn’t find a bin on the street to dispose off the empty bottle of water I had grabbed.

One of the locals in the hostel told me that they have very few bins on the streets.

It amazes me how the Japanese are still able to keep the streets so clean.

I have been to quite a few places around the world but I am yet to see the Japanese level of commitment to cleanliness."

Can such a level of neatness happen in Nigeria?, can the people be well organized to this level? Yet we believe that all the problems came from the Government only. We never take responsibility, average Nigerians blame everything on others. Till today we still blame our colonizers, whereas other colonized countries have moved on.
bros you are being delusional, in this picture you posted did you see okada did you see shops with attached tapolin in it's front, did you see Keke dragging for passengers, the only reason you were looking for dustbin to dispose your bottle was because you have notice that there is no single used bottle litered on the floor so your subconscious mind will not allow you to throw down your bottle, everything starts with leadership, the only reason why societies need government is to do all these, if people can be this orderly on their own without input of leadership then they don't need government
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by IamAtikulate: 9:57am On Sep 17, 2022
Pyhonist:

Imagine a situation where the bread winner of your family was the one killed by the senseless motorcyclists, What would happen to you or other members of your family now.
This truth is that we have so many idiots parading themselves as okada riders in Lagos and we will not condone their stupidity anymore.
Agbero is more of a security threat in Lagos than Okada.

Banning okada is never a security measure, but a red flag operation to depopulate Lagos of Northerners.

Me and you know that.
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by wowcatty: 10:04am On Sep 17, 2022
They even need to pay restitution to Lagos govt for towing the vehicle, housing them in jail and food if their vehicles can't cover these expenses.These are the people they want us to believe are innocent.
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by wowcatty: 10:23am On Sep 17, 2022
Let's say for a minute that northerners are the most Okada riders in Lagos, so because of northerners they will stop Yoruba from feeding their families? You just want to talk sha! It should have been done long time ago, the crimes are just too much and Lagos needs to be depopulated for real.
IamAtikulate:

Agbero is more of a security threat in Lagos than Okada.

Banning okada is never a security measure, but a red flag operation to depopulate Lagos of Northerners.

Me and you know that.
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by IamAtikulate: 10:29am On Sep 17, 2022
wowcatty:
Let's say for a minute that northerners are the most Okada riders in Lagos, so because of northerners they will stop Yoruba from feeding their families? You just want to talk sha! It should have been done long time ago, the crimes are just too much and Lagos needs to be depopulated for real.
Agbero and cultists are bigger security threats than Okada riders in Lagos. Depopulating Lagos of criminals should be holistic and not targeted at specific individuals.

Take it or leave it, security threats are not the primary reason for banning okada in Lagos
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by wowcatty: 10:47am On Sep 17, 2022
Though every little problem must be fixed but it starts from the root. Motorbikes aid every crime directly unlike the Agbero that are in their parks and cultists that you or someone you know have to have a business with. The problem you can say Yoruba have and I will agree with is, they don't quickly assess threat or problem and crush it, they wait till the perpetrators think it's a normal thing before they try to do something about it, and that's why people can't see it for what it is.
IamAtikulate:

Agbero and cultists are bigger security threats than Okada riders in Lagos. Depopulating Lagos of criminals should be holistic and not targeted at specific individuals.

Take it or leave it, security threats are not the primary reason for banning okada in Lagos
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by IamAtikulate: 12:37pm On Sep 17, 2022
wowcatty:
Though every little problem must be fixed but it starts from the root. Motorbikes aid every crime directly unlike the Agbero that are in their parks and cultists that you or someone you know have to have a business with. The problem you can say Yoruba have and I will agree with is, they don't quickly assess threat or problem and crush it, they wait till the perpetrators think it's a normal thing before they try to do something about it, and that's why people can't see it for what it is.
I don't think there's any correlation between number of bikers in an area with crime rate.

Most bike people I know leave for work very early and return late, unlike agbero that doesn't have work, other than looking for who to rip off.

Even if you ban bike, we will continue to experience security issues as long as we have agbero and cultists.

Another thing you forget is that talking the bikers off the road, makes them jobless, incentivizing them to join deadline gang.

I don't and will never support any okada ban without any systematic plan.
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by wowcatty: 8:19am On Sep 18, 2022
Commercial bike riders contribute to all crimes everywhere they are found. It's easy to hop on and off a bike in a crime spree and blend with the crowd. Agbero are in their parks and cultists have to have a business with you or someone close to you. These two groups also depend on these bikes to do what they do. Commercial bikes will starve the activities of Agbero and cultists, so it's a brilliant move by the Lagos govt to weed from the root.

There's no way the crime rate won't reduce after this ban, the bike riders just have to move to other places they are allowed. Those you said will join crime as a result of this ban were already in the criminal gangs, no honest or innocent man will steal because he can no longer ride bikes for living, they are already criminals. It also means they are lazy who don't want to make honest living by doing something else like buying and selling even if it's pepper.

Aside the overcrowded trauma hospitals, there has to be a structure in Lagos. Commercial bikes have become an eyesore and out of control, the state can't just go the way of the dumpster. With so much insecurity in Lagos, getting rid of seas of bikes is the best thing to do. I don't know why they allowed it in the first place, well at least they are doing something about it now.
IamAtikulate:

I don't think there's any correlation between number of bikers in an area with crime rate.

Most bike people I know leave for work very early and return late, unlike agbero that doesn't have work, other than looking for who to rip off.

Even if you ban bike, we will continue to experience security issues as long as we have agbero and cultists.

Another thing you forget is that talking the bikers off the road, makes them jobless, incentivizing them to join deadline gang.

I don't and will never support any okada ban without any systematic plan.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by IamAtikulate: 12:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
wowcatty:
Commercial bike riders contribute to all crimes everywhere they are found.
This is a sweeping claim. You don't wake up and say things you can't back up with data.

The 4 biggest security threats in this country are Fulani herdsmen, BH terrorism, banditry and unknown gunmen.

Commercial bikers are not behind or re-enforcing these threats. So how do they contribute to ALL crimes every where they are found?

wowcatty:

It's easy to hop on and off a bike in a crime spree and blend with the crowd.

Criminals rarely use commercial bikers for operations because it makes catching them easier. Instead, they use their personal bikes.

wowcatty:

Agbero are in their parks and cultists have to have a business with you or someone close to you. These two groups also depend on these bikes to do what they do. Commercial bikes will starve the activities of Agbero and cultists, so it's a brilliant move by the Lagos govt to weed from the root.
Lagos cultists and agberos don't use commercial bikers for operation. They use theirs.

Commercial bikers make it easier to catch them.

wowcatty:

There's no way the crime rate won't reduce after this ban, the bike riders just have to move to other places they are allowed.
Banning cultism and agbero will reduce crime rate in Lagos more than banning commercial bikers.

Banning bike, while leaving cultism and agbero will increase the crime rate.

wowcatty:

Those you said will join crime as a result of this ban were already in the criminal gangs, no honest or innocent man will steal because he can no longer ride bikes for living, they are already criminals.

No man was born a criminal. Circumstances is what turn people into criminal.

wowcatty:

It also means they are lazy who don't want to make honest living by doing something else like buying and selling even if it's pepper.
Easier said than done.

If you unjustly lose where you get your daily bread (God forbid), and you see 1 million Naira on the ground, you'll pick.

But if you still have what you are doing, the drive to seek out the owner will be higher than when you are hungry and you don't know where your next bread will come from.

No matter how honest you are, circumstances will break you or at least, put you near breaking point.

wowcatty:

Aside the overcrowded trauma hospitals, there has to be a structure in Lagos. Commercial bikes have become an eyesore and out of control, the state can't just go the way of the dumpster. With so much insecurity in Lagos, getting rid of seas of bikes is the best thing to do. I don't know why they allowed it in the first place, well at least they are doing something about it now.
Commercial bike is not an eye sore. Fix the road first to become motorable, give bikers 6 months to vacate the roads and most Lagosians will support the banning of commercial bikers.

Majority of Lagosians will never support banning of Okada even they have car, unless you stay in Island or don't live in this Tinubu's Lagos.

If you live in Lagos, you'll understand that commercial bikers are not our problem but bad roads, agbero, omo nile, traffic, and cultism.
Re: Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders by wowcatty: 6:04am On Sep 20, 2022
You are the one that can't back up your claims. All you need to check is places with high crimes like Indians, Brazil and other places, motorbikes help commuting crimes easy.

Kiddnapping and armed robbery are the two biggest crimes in Nigeria not Fulani herdsmen or banditry that just started last year or so.

Funny how you know that the cultists and other criminals use their own bikes.

Lagos is overcrowded and no matter how they fix the road, it will never work because when you put 100 people in one room, maintenance of that room will be everyday but will never show.
IamAtikulate:

This is a sweeping claim. You don't wake up and say things you can't back up with data.

The 4 biggest security threats in this country are Fulani herdsmen, BH terrorism, banditry and unknown gunmen.

Commercial bikers are not behind or re-enforcing these threats. So how do they contribute to ALL crimes every where they are found?

Criminals rarely use commercial bikers for operations because it makes catching them easier. Instead, they use their personal bikes.

Lagos cultists and agberos don't use commercial bikers for operation. They use theirs.

Commercial bikers make it easier to catch them.

Banning cultism and agbero will reduce crime rate in Lagos more than banning commercial bikers.

Banning bike, while leaving cultism and agbero will increase the crime rate.

No man was born a criminal. Circumstances is what turn people into criminal.

Easier said than done.

If you unjustly lose where you get your daily bread (God forbid), and you see 1 million Naira on the ground, you'll pick.

But if you still have what you are doing, the drive to seek out the owner will be higher than when you are hungry and you don't know where your next bread will come from.

No matter how honest you are, circumstances will break you or at least, put you near breaking point.

Commercial bike is not an eye sore. Fix the road first to become motorable, give bikers 6 months to vacate the roads and most Lagosians will support the banning of commercial bikers.

Majority of Lagosians will never support banning of Okada even they have car, unless you stay in Island or don't live in this Tinubu's Lagos.

If you live in Lagos, you'll understand that commercial bikers are not our problem but bad roads, agbero, omo nile, traffic, and cultism.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe / 8 Political Parties Back Gov Ahmed For Re-election / FG Now Funds IDP Camps In Borno, Says Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.