Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

The Power Of Open Source - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Power Of Open Source (325 Views)

Open Source VTU Portal / I Just Released My First Open Source Project Jolloficons.com / wizGrade School Manager is Open Source - 100% free + source code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Power Of Open Source by Tochukwu30(m): 8:38pm On Sep 16, 2022
Today again I witnessed how powerful the FOSS community is. most developers will appreciate this because without OSS we all would have been at the mercies of big tech companies (formerly FAANG but now MAANG). I mean these companies control the internet if not the world at large.

WHAT HAPPENED?

After work today I decided to chill by going to netnaija to download some movies to watch. I am a very privacy focused person so I use firefox or brave browser as my daily internet driver. I decided to use brave browser. when I clicked on the movie that I wanted to download I saw this: "If you do not see a download button, kindly turn off your ad-blocker or try another browser." I was like wtf!! because this has never happened before, then I switched to firefox and the same thing happened. Naturally, I should have used chrome since it obviously allows ads everywhere and all manner of scripts including malicious ones.

with my little experience I decided to get to the root of the matter. I googled around and tried a lot of things to access the download but nothing worked.

next thing I did was to go on reddit. Man!! reddit is an amazing place. any information you can't find on reddit you cannot find anywhere in the world. I stand to be corrected. here is the link to the discussion on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/xfti6t/comment/iop9gbw/

I also opened an issue on uBlock origin github repo and within an hour the issue was solved. quite impressive.
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/issues/14868

I am always grateful for the OSS community and the great work developers keep doing by building tools, libraries, frameworks etc that even big tech companies cannot rival.

I attribute a lot of my skill and career so far as a programmer to OSS. most of the tools if not all that I use are all open source and I hope I can author an exceptional library some day.

3 Likes

Re: The Power Of Open Source by LittleBigDick(m): 8:40pm On Feb 05, 2023
You're such a fokn noob

(1) (Reply)

AI Programming / I Need This CAT 6 Connectors / How To Hack Any Social Media Account Without Stress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.