Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer - Programming (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer (11236 Views)

Hello Guys I Need Someone That Is Good At Google Documents / Do You Need A Computer Science Degree To Get A Job At Google And The Likes? / How Can I Build An Android App Without Being A Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:54pm On Nov 04, 2022
So guys... it seems this youtube clone is not working...not really progressing...just fixing bugs plus the fact that I have not properly learnt react. My Oga wey want help me self never resume...not sure he is ever going to resume with the current state of things. So have ditched this youtube clone project. I am starting with Brad traversy playlist Which is kind of organized.. simple to complex. Starting now with the expense tracker.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Sleekcode: 10:45pm On Nov 04, 2022
I can help u with the YouTube clone from start to finish
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by akwesenana: 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2022
But in page one you talk say this thread go die.
grin na wa ohh.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 8:52am On Nov 05, 2022
Thanks. Will pm you when I need help. But definitely not nw. Maybe after I must have solidify my Knowledge on react by building more beginner to intermediate projects. Thanks once again.
Sleekcode:
I can help u with the YouTube clone from start to finish
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Sleekcode: 7:02pm On Nov 06, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Thanks. Will pm you when I need help. But definitely not nw. Maybe after I must have solidify my Knowledge on react by building more beginner to intermediate projects. Thanks once again.

Ok man...
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 11:09am On Dec 21, 2022
Ok guys, finally done the exam. The good news is that I finally got into a DSA bootcamp where I get to rub shoulders with guys from Microsoft and the likes. The bad news my laptop suddenly crashed a day to my final papers.

When I charge the system, the indicator light blinks but the system will not boot. If anyone has an idea of what the issue is.

Right now , I will continue the DSA book on my phone.... At least one leetcode question everyday. Go back to my default mode of reading books. And hopefully I get it fixed soon. This thread ain't dying .

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by namikaze: 9:24pm On Dec 22, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Ok guys, finally done the exam. The good news is that I finally got into a DSA bootcamp where I get to rub shoulders with guys from Microsoft and the likes. The bad news my laptop suddenly crashed a day to my final papers.

When I charge the system, the indicator light blinks but the system will not boot. If anyone has an idea of what the issue is.

Right now , I will continue the DSA book on my phone.... At least one leetcode question everyday. Go back to my default mode of reading books. And hopefully I get it fixed soon. This thread ain't dying .
Which bootcamp is that?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 12:56pm On Dec 31, 2022
namikaze:

Which bootcamp is that?
Nithub
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by namikaze: 7:08pm On Dec 31, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Nithub
I see, first time hearing of it tho.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Saverin: 11:04pm On Jan 06, 2023
Hannania:

Your dreams are valid, but it seems you have too many dust. Let's clean it up.

1. An OOP hard core language is the bane to work at FAANG. Python, C++, Java are the norm. Meta will get you to learn Hack, which is a variation to PHP.

Please don't learn multiple languages randomly. Stick to one for learning DSA, and use Javascript/PHP for your web dev.

2. Don't waste inefficient time solving questions randomly. It's always good to see what others have donr successfully, and replicate it and even better.

Try and learn the fundamentals of all data structures first. Coursera has nice courses that teaches fundamentals. The reason why whites and Asians are good with cracking FAANG is because they have solid fundamentals. Use the linked below to get same resources schools like Harvard, Berkeley, and MIT train their students:
https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Courses/CS61B/

There are about 17 patterns of which 90% of Leetcode programming questions are centered on. Know such patterns, and you'll find ease of solving the rest.
https://github.com/cl2333/Grokking-the-Coding-Interview-Patterns-for-Coding-Questions

When I started leetcoding few months ago, it was overwhelming. So I stopped and asked people I have as connections on linked who work at Google, Amazon, Dropbox, Meta, Microsoft, Palantir how they did it. They showed me the path to learning patterns, and right now, I could easily solve 2 questions a day on a medium like question on the 9 patterns I've learnt so far.

Follow this link for a detail guide:
It has 120 questions which cover all 17 patterns.

https://bowtiedfox.substack.com › fa...
10 Step Guide for Literally ANYONE to Land a 6-Figure FAANG Job.

When you've down the above, please check this link below on structured guide depending on the time you have. For 3 months plan, there are 75 questions, they call it Grind75 or Blind75. But when you edit the site for a six months plan, you get 169 questions. More indebt and enough to help you crack any interview. Here is it:

https://www.techinterviewhandbook.org/grind75?weeks=12

3.Concerning buying leetcode premium, please don't pressure yourself. Every question on leetcode premium is on github, solved or on youtube.

For Cracking the coding interview, check the link below with solutions on github. The readme has links for java,C++ and python.
https://github.com/careercup/CtCI-6th-Edition

The link below has all leetcode premium questions for virtually every known company that uses DSA as a test. Don't get overwhelmed, most repeat themselves.
https://github.com/hxu296/leetcode-company-wise-problems-2022

These days, I don't solve questions on leetcode, rather I created a repo and keep track of my work while solving the patterns on my laptop.

Good luck lad

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:01pm On Jan 09, 2023
Yeah guys it so good to be back. I had a little ish with my phone so I was basically offline. Haven't still got my laptop fixed but I am still very much on course..at least am improving every day.

Have been reading books on DSA. I read algorithm for dummies. Even though I skipped some part when it's getting too theoretical and the book was kinda emphasizing on machine learning or AI.

Yo I almost dumped Java because of the book. Read a whole book on python. But thanks to the gods of java, they wouldn't let me be.

And yes the indentation in Python is a thing, coming from a JavaScript background...life without those curly braces will be hell.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:06pm On Jan 09, 2023
Read another book on react...didn't finish it. The best book on react out there is the "The road to react"... Already finished it twice..but I still know nothing. Hopefully when I start building projects things will fall in place.

Still not finished the head first java. I had to stop when I gut to the GUI aspect. I guess I already know enough write some codes on DSA.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2023
Set a target of at least 3 leetcode questions let day. I eventually brought it down to one...really struggling with some of them. Realize I was doing medium questions..would have been best if a I started from the easy part. I know better now.

Downloaded a PDF with about 100 leetcode questions with solutions segmented into the brute Force approach and the Dynamic solutions.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:16pm On Jan 09, 2023
And yes I have noticed that a good knowledge of mathematics or let's say logic will give one an edge in solving some of the leetcode questions especially when time is a priority.

And have been reading books on other genre too. I will highly recommend the book "the monk who sold is ferari" to anyone still struggling to find their purpose in this chaotic world. "The alchemist us a wonderful read too"
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:21pm On Jan 09, 2023
My resolution this year
Build more react projects.

Focus on building an audience on Twitter

Technical writing on medium/hashnode

Networking.

Public speaking.

Upskill and start freelancing/ jobs or anything just to get my feet into the industry.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2023
It seems the competition the industry is at an all time high...laying off of staffs here and there in fortune500 companies. It such a wonderful time to be a developer. Makes things fun.

I live you guys with a quote from Anais Nin “We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are”.

I really have a lot of assignments to do. Not really been taking the DSA boot camp serious. Bye for now.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 10, 2023
AlchemyOfCodes:
My resolution this year
Build more react projects.

Focus on building an audience on Twitter

Technical writing on medium/hashnode

Networking.

Public speaking.

Upskill and start freelancing/ jobs or anything just to get my feet into the industry.

How can I network on twitter and LinkedIn?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 10:11am On Jan 10, 2023
okpaire2005:

How can I network on twitter and LinkedIn?

I only know of Twitter Sha. But have not even been really active on both platforms. For Twitter you can follow some devs like pratham an Indian... They share secrets on how to network and build an audience on Twitter.

Just make sure ure adding value to the community and let people know what you are into I mean building ur projects publicly....personal projects.

The pratham guy with over 300k followers started with css animation and the rest they say is history. Just find a niche...create value...join spaces and the right connection will come

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Devdevdev(f): 2:22pm On Jan 11, 2023
AlchemyOfCodes:
Read another book on react...didn't finish it. The best book on react out there is the "The road to react"... Already finished it twice..but I still know nothing. Hopefully when I start building projects things will fall in place.

Still not finished the head first java. I had to stop when I gut to the GUI aspect. I guess I already know enough write some codes on DSA.

Any book on react that wasn't written at the end of last year would be very outdated by now. Reading books on frameworks is dumb in my opinion. You'd be stuck investing time in tools and methods that's are already deprecated. Just read the react documentation. It gets updated everyday and has everything you need.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Evasoftware: 4:58pm On Jan 15, 2023
While there are many types of calculators, one of the most common ones is a percentage calculator which calculates percentage increase / decrease, percentage of, what percentage is, etc. For this, the best one for android playstore IMO is this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Microtechsoft.percentage It is a paid app, but only 99 cents which i think is worth it since there are no ads to distract
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by adelekewest: 11:54pm On Jan 02
How is the journey going so far boss?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by niel63(m): 9:16am On Jan 03
Evasoftware:
While there are many types of calculators, one of the most common ones is a percentage calculator which calculates percentage increase / decrease, percentage of, what percentage is, etc. For this, the best one for android playstore IMO is this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Microtechsoft.percentage It is a paid app, but only 99 cents which i think is worth it since there are no ads to distract

You really had to justify your pricing with words of mouth rather than app functionality. undecided

It's only 99cent with your shitty UI.

How many downloads would you really have gathered if it was a free software sef?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by ekehopp2: 1:47am On May 05
AlchemyOfCodes:
This post is all about my programming journey. I am just a young fella without a CS degree who wants to work at Google. This sounds crazy? Yeah. But, Wait-Danny Thompson worked at Google without a CS degree, maybe I am not being unrealistic then. Oh! I forgot, Danny Thompson is an American...... grin

I will be documenting my journey to becoming a potential world-class web developer. I hope to finally get to work at Google at the end of this thread no matter how long....

I believe in the mantra- " Aim for the moon, if you miss it, you might hit a star".

I will be glad if the programming gurus in the house can be part of my history. Advise and encouragements and even scathing criticisms are allowed. grin
How's the dream going 1 and a half years later?
Hope you stuck with it, and have multiple small wins already?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Lorayne(m): 12:50pm On May 05
Hannania:

Your dreams are valid, but it seems you have too many dust. Let's clean it up.

1. An OOP hard core language is the bane to work at FAANG. Python, C++, Java are the norm. Meta will get you to learn Hack, which is a variation to PHP.

Please don't learn multiple languages randomly. Stick to one for learning DSA, and use Javascript/PHP for your web dev.

2. Don't waste inefficient time solving questions randomly. It's always good to see what others have donr successfully, and replicate it and even better.

Try and learn the fundamentals of all data structures first. Coursera has nice courses that teaches fundamentals. The reason why whites and Asians are good with cracking FAANG is because they have solid fundamentals. Use the linked below to get same resources schools like Harvard, Berkeley, and MIT train their students:
https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Courses/CS61B/

There are about 17 patterns of which 90% of Leetcode programming questions are centered on. Know such patterns, and you'll find ease of solving the rest.
https://github.com/cl2333/Grokking-the-Coding-Interview-Patterns-for-Coding-Questions

When I started leetcoding few months ago, it was overwhelming. So I stopped and asked people I have as connections on linked who work at Google, Amazon, Dropbox, Meta, Microsoft, Palantir how they did it. They showed me the path to learning patterns, and right now, I could easily solve 2 questions a day on a medium like question on the 9 patterns I've learnt so far.

Follow this link for a detail guide:
It has 120 questions which cover all 17 patterns.

https://bowtiedfox.substack.com › fa...
10 Step Guide for Literally ANYONE to Land a 6-Figure FAANG Job.

When you've down the above, please check this link below on structured guide depending on the time you have. For 3 months plan, there are 75 questions, they call it Grind75 or Blind75. But when you edit the site for a six months plan, you get 169 questions. More indebt and enough to help you crack any interview. Here is it:

https://www.techinterviewhandbook.org/grind75?weeks=12

3.Concerning buying leetcode premium, please don't pressure yourself. Every question on leetcode premium is on github, solved or on youtube.

For Cracking the coding interview, check the link below with solutions on github. The readme has links for java,C++ and python.
https://github.com/careercup/CtCI-6th-Edition

The link below has all leetcode premium questions for virtually every known company that uses DSA as a test. Don't get overwhelmed, most repeat themselves.
https://github.com/hxu296/leetcode-company-wise-problems-2022

These days, I don't solve questions on leetcode, rather I created a repo and keep track of my work while solving the patterns on my laptop.

Good luck lad

This still valid?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by annlopez: 5:53pm On May 07
Your ambition is inspiring! Danny Thompson's journey showcases it's possible. Remember, it's not about where you start but where you're headed. Keep learning, building, and aiming high. Here's a guide on effective technical debt reduction: https://www.digiteum.com/effective-techical-debt-reduction/ .This is important for a young programmer to know in order to get a good job

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Alt School Africa Thread / Team Humane App For The Blind Wins Microsoft Imagine Cup Nigeria 2016 / What Software Have You Created?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.