Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,327 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer (10968 Views)

Hello Guys I Need Someone That Is Good At Google Documents / Do You Need A Computer Science Degree To Get A Job At Google And The Likes? / How Can I Build An Android App Without Being A Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by yinkbell: 7:19pm On Oct 14, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Faulty battery, kinda a television kind of laptop and using incompatible chargers.

Sorry about that. I have been following your progress on this journey. I thank God for you that you were able to get another laptop. I saw your passion and zeal to learn so fast which is good.

You are only accountable to yourself. Why can't you ask other people who are in this path to join you so that you will be accountable to one another.

If you don't code or do any task in a day, the other people will like to know your reasons and motivate one another not to relent.

Meanwhile, I got my Laptop last week; a fairly used one. Core i5, 8gig RAM and 500gig.
How do I commence if I am to learn mobile app development? Though I am still thinking of learning other stuffs which does not involve coding.

Which programming language one will use to learn mobile app? Thanks so much.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 7:46pm On Oct 14, 2022
Am not into mobile app development. But I think flutter, React Native, Kotlin and others are used for mobile app development. Yes, about the accountability ish. I just joined a WhatsApp group where students combining learning skills and schooling help each other in the aspect of time management.

yinkbell:

Sorry about that. I have been following your progress on this journey. I thank God for you that you were able to get another laptop. I saw your passion and zeal to learn so fast which is good.

You are only accountable to yourself. Why can't you ask other people who are in this path to join you so that you will be accountable to one another.

If you don't code or do any task in a day, the other people will like to know your reasons and motivate one another not to relent.

Meanwhile, I got my Laptop last week; a fairly used one. Core i5, 8gig RAM and 500gig.
How do I commence if I am to learn mobile app development? Though I am still thinking of learning other stuffs which does not involve coding.

Which programming language one will use to learn mobile app? Thanks so much.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 11:12pm On Oct 14, 2022
Ok guys, I solved an hackerrank question today using nested loops, would have loved to optimize the run time a bit but no time. Sometimes I wonder if all solutions can be improved from say from O(n^2) to maybe O(logn/n) using recursion?

Well I think some problems can't really be optimized, there is a particular one I read in grokking algorithm, can't remember properly about distance; maybe shortest distance to deliver goods to an end point where we have to check every available routes; can't remember... would have loved to re-check but no time.

My question is how one can identify such problems so we don't spend unnecessary time thinking of how to optimizing codes....anyways am not sure of what am saying sef.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 11:19pm On Oct 14, 2022
Omo. DSA is hard Sha. Watched a video for 5 mins in 30 mins and have already gave my sef an assignment to watch at least 4 YouTube videos on the concept. Only God knows when I will finish the course...but I won't exceed my daily limit of 30mins.

Read head first Java and I learnt about how constructors can be useful in initializing an object state before the object is created to avoid issues of having objects without instance variables that are very important. Just touched it surface level though cos I have to stick to 5 pages a day.

Did some R programming too. Initializing variables with -> and escaping strings and printing it out using the cat() method instead of print() cat sounds wierd to me though.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 11:22pm On Oct 14, 2022
Not making any progress with react after running into a bug. My data refused to fetch...Get Error 403 checked my url and also logged in to rapid API for authentication still no change. So I literally spent 1hr trying to fix bugs in react today undecided
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Sheriman(m): 6:00pm On Oct 15, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Am not into mobile app development. But I think flutter, React Native, Kotlin and others are used for mobile app development. Yes, about the accountability ish. I just joined a WhatsApp group where students combining learning skills and schooling help each other in the aspect of time management.

Kotlin

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2022
So guys, couldn't drop an update yesterday cos we have not been having light for the past few days. I solved an another hackerrank question today.

I also applied for a free DSA bootcamp. The bootcamp requires some knowledge of OOP. We were given two very basic test questions on hackerrank. It happened that they were questions have done beforegrin. Literally solved the first questions in seconds only to get stuck at the second question despite the fact that I have solved it before.

Spent over an hr staring at the screen after getting compilation error only to discover that I used arr[I] instead of arr.get(i) for ArrayList in java. JavaScript syntax really messed with my head. I guess that's one of the disadvantage of learning multiple languages at once.

I also watched some video on improvements of quick union; weighted quick union and compression of paths.

I have not read head first Java today. Will probably do that now then rest for some time b4 I hit the books again.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Najdorf: 8:29pm On Oct 16, 2022
Nice work OP. Please try and share some of the DSA problems you deal with daily so that we can also have a go at them

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:16pm On Oct 16, 2022
Will try to send screenshots from tommorow and possibly the approach I use in tackling the question.

Najdorf:
Nice work OP. Please try and share some of the DSA problems you deal with daily so that we can also have a go at them
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:01am On Oct 17, 2022
link to the hackerrank question am solving today. https://www.hackerrank.com/challenges/the-birthday-bar/problem?isFullScreen=true

My solution didnt pass all the test cases... had to check the solution. Anticipating your solutions.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 6:39pm On Oct 19, 2022
Long time guys....light has not been const here for the last couple of days. I am resuming soon and I have been making preparations. I hope things will be a little bit better when I get to school.

School calendar is out and I will be taking exams in few weeks. Will be limiting programming to just an hr per day maybe more at weekends. Just DSA and hackerrank, react will need to chill for now.

Might not be dropping updates like b4, syllabus won kill me. After d exams, will be back fully. Cheerio!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by qtguru(m): 2:35pm On Oct 22, 2022
I sent you a PM, I require your time for something

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 3:55pm On Oct 22, 2022
I have replied you sir.
qtguru:
I sent you a PM, I require your time for something
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 7:59pm On Oct 23, 2022
Yo guys I finally settled down in school today. The sad thing is there is light but no socket and bulb. Boys don run am...hostel things grin

Will continue hackerrank and DSA tommorow... strictly 30mins hackerrank and 30mins DSA.

Me and one of my roommate b4 the strike were coding together. He made life easier for me in react as I was always running into bugs and he was always there to fix it.

He actually got a gig and he wanted me to translate a figma design into codes using react even when I just started learning react...but my laptop crashed. He is now a big boy now lolgrin

School might not really stress me with lectures as I thought...most of my lecturers are out of the country Well, but exam is imminent....so I still need to stress myself.

Will use today to chill. Then tommorow I will continue on my learning streak. This might be the last lengthy update I will drop here. After exams, will be back.

And for the guy who thinks am a troll. Keep living in a fool's paradise.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by hagentaraj: 6:53am On Oct 24, 2022
[img][/img]
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 8:23pm On Oct 24, 2022
Yeah guys, spent the bulk of the day reading my course notes. I am satisfied with my accademic pace, So I will be coding for 2hrs+ today...I know I reneged on my plans but it is what it is.... lectures haven't commence fully.

Solved an hackerrank question today....No I actually cheated. I haven't hack the question till now. I hope to do that tonight. Have also downloaded some videos on DSA from my Coursera course which I will also watch.

But seriously must junior devs be bothered with this DSA thing. I heard they are now asking DSA for internship position. Anyways will stick to the game plan. I must attain the height of a Jedi in this DSA thing. And yeah, I will start applying for internship position next year... after I must have solidify my knowledge on
react

Since am a little bit satisfied with my academic pace. I will be practicing react during the weekends. My schedule may still change later depending on accademic demand.

Yes all the books I started but never finished have been hunting me in my dreams. So i decided to read 1 page of head first Java every day. At all at all na in bad

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 10:52pm On Oct 27, 2022
guys shit is getting real now. exam is next month, have multiple of test to write in the coming weeks and the worst of it all. My tech journey is struggling. I have not have a decent sleep for the past two days. But am still resilient sha. got my 3rd star on hackerrank today and it kinds of rekindle hope. Will have to go back to my default mode of 1 hr per day. If not for anything, am determined to make the very best out of this semester...better than my previous grades. I have determined that my grades wont suffer cos of tech. I am not desperate to get a job and willing to learn in depth and achieve my goal no matter hw long.

so far so good havent been paying more attention to this tech thing. But have been moving with the speed of a tornado in academics. hope I keep up the tempo sha. I dey keep tech in check...because it consumes and and posess the entire mind and being of an individual.

even the DSA course they carry me where I know know. I applied for a DSA bootcamp. I hope everything turns out well. Now I have started avoiding questions on hackerrank that will take time for me to even decode the question... only focussing on questions with higher percentage pass rate to save time.

wo undecided I wont suggest using java for anyone that wants to learn DSA. java has been a pain in the ass.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by akwesenana: 9:23am On Oct 28, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
guys shit is getting real now. exam is next month, have multiple of test to write in the coming weeks and the worst of it all. My tech journey is struggling. I have not have a decent sleep for the past two days. But am still resilient sha. got my 3rd star on hackerrank today and it kinds of rekindle hope. Will have to go back to my default mode of 1 hr per day. If not for anything, am determined to make the very best out of this semester...better than my previous grades. I have determined that my grades wont suffer cos of tech. I am not desperate to get a job and willing to learn in depth and achieve my goal no matter hw long.

so far so good havent been paying more attention to this tech thing. But have been moving with the speed of a tornado in academics. hope I keep up the tempo sha. I dey keep tech in check...because it consumes and and posess the entire mind and being of an individual.

even the DSA course they carry me where I know know. I applied for a DSA bootcamp. I hope everything turns out well. Now I have started avoiding questions on hackerrank that will take time for me to even decode the question... only focussing on questions with higher percentage pass rate to save time.

wo undecided I wont suggest using java for anyone that wants to learn DSA. java has been a pain in the ass.
What language would you suggest?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by qtguru(m): 10:04am On Oct 28, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:

Eya Pele but great work, your thread brings back passion. Keep it up, is your laptop okay now ?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Playermayweda(m): 10:42am On Oct 28, 2022
Alchemy, Leave DSA for now and focus on your school and React. Your priority as a student is to your academics and probably a tech job that will help you pay the bills in school. Since you're learning React, I assume you're a front-end developer like I am. The Job I just got a week ago, didn't need my leetcode or my hackerrank and I'm a student like you also. After your exams you can continue DSA but i feel it's not a priority for an FE dev. God bless bro

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 4:11pm On Oct 28, 2022
Yes sir, my laptop is ok. Thank you for the kind words.
qtguru:

Eya Pele but great work, your thread brings back passion. Keep it up, is your laptop okay now ?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by teewhydope(m): 5:52pm On Oct 28, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Ok guys, I solved an hackerrank question today using nested loops, would have loved to optimize the run time a bit but no time. Sometimes I wonder if all solutions can be improved from say from O(n^2) to maybe O(logn/n) using recursion?

Well I think some problems can't really be optimized, there is a particular one I read in grokking algorithm, can't remember properly about distance; maybe shortest distance to deliver goods to an end point where we have to check every available routes; can't remember... would have loved to re-check but no time.

My question is how one can identify such problems so we don't spend unnecessary time thinking of how to optimizing codes....anyways am not sure of what am saying sef.

DSA is hard, that's why you something like algoexpert or an advance course from udemy to understand how to approach each problems. coding sites like hackerranks/leetcodes don't really help much for a beginners since you'll only just dive into problem solving
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Biodex58(m): 6:19pm On Oct 28, 2022
Hello sir, Kindly check your yandex mail please.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 6:33pm On Oct 28, 2022
Noted sir. Omo have been thinking of this too. Thanks.
Playermayweda:
Alchemy, Leave DSA for now and focus on your school and React. Your priority as a student is to your academics and probably a tech job that will help you pay the bills in school. Since you're learning React, I assume you're a front-end developer like I am. The Job I just got a week ago, didn't need my leetcode or my hackerrank and I'm a student like you also. After your exams you can continue DSA but i feel it's not a priority for an FE dev. God bless bro
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 6:39pm On Oct 28, 2022
C++ or maybe python for absolute beginners. Never used any of them, but people seem to prefer these duo.
akwesenana:

What language would you suggest?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 6:46pm On Oct 28, 2022
Ok guys! Based on the advise have gotten here and the fact that getting my foot into the industry will fast track my growth. I will be focusing on react. Building at least one major project per week. Will still stick to 1 hr per day and 2hrs per day on weekends.

After exams will go back to learning the two simultaneously. Thank y'all for the advise. It is part of the reasons that keep me going...knowing that at least there are people here counting on me. I will never give up.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 7:07pm On Oct 28, 2022

Biodex58:
Hello sir, Kindly check your yandex mail please.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 10:24pm On Oct 30, 2022
Yo guys, I finally started react yesterday. I continued the YouTube clone I was working on. Omo everything looks like Greek to me. Couldn't do anything yesterday cos my system was seriously lagging. Had to remove Xampp and some Java application.

Did an hr of react today too. But, my data no gree fetch. Have messaged one of my ogas Sha. I hope we get this fixed as soon as he resumes.

Currently on my way to overnight. Omo no rest for me this semester Sha...I just hope I can get over this exam as soon as I can so I can code in peace.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Xandelle: 11:30am On Nov 02, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
But the problem started after I tried to implement the history button. I spent hours trying until I finally gave up and moved on to another project.

Now the issue is creating an history button that goes back to a previous state. Say I punched 2+2 and get the result, clicked on the AC/clear button- the history button should return 2+2.

Create an array (called history) Now whenever you hit the equals button, after displaying (or before displaying) the result, push the result into the array. When you hit the history button, pop the result from that same array.

Read up on push and pop in the programming language you're using.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:31pm On Nov 04, 2022
Thanks.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:34pm On Nov 04, 2022
So guys it has been a while. I have been sick for few days. Thank God am better nw. Omo i just pray ASUU doesnt go on strike agian cos the number of courses and opportunities I have dropped for skul... hmm undecided . Anyways, will be doing some react today. hopefully I get to fix that bug that has been hunting me.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by akwesenana: 9:36pm On Nov 04, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
So guys it has been a while. I have been sick for few days. Thank God am better nw. Omo i just pray ASUU doesnt go on strike agian cos the number of courses and opportunities I have dropped for skul... hmm undecided . Anyways, will be doing some react today. hopefully I get to fix that bug that has been hunting me.
Nice cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should One Learn Programming For The Sole Aim Of Making Money? / Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? / Foreign Jobs(remote And Relocation) Discussions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.