Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) (54037 Views)

School And Houses Destroyed By Erosion In Anambra State (Photos) / Erosion Swallows A Building In Nnewi Anambra State (Video) / Photos: 30yrs Erosion Menace Swallows Over 50 Houses In Nnewi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by PeachtreeReside(f): 8:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
seniorkachion:
Plant bamboo all over the erosion site .

That easy? what would it do.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by shortIGBOman: 8:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
Chai. This is common in all IGBO Land. But it is worst in Anambra State. grin grin

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by PeachtreeReside(f): 8:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
Litmus:

Trees planting will also help.

Google states:
Trees prevent soil erosion in several ways:
They intercept rainfall which stops 'splash erosion'
They reduce the amount of water in soil through transpiration.
Their roots bind soil to sloping ground.
They break the wind, preventing it from blowing soil away.

For too long bush Nigerians have equated felling trees with being like Abroad. The mentality goes something like, "they have cemented everywhere abroad and built high-rise buildings so we too must do same".

this, exploitative farming and illegal tree logging ....

So tree planting and gardens will help a residential area in preventing erosion.

Our lack of planning out housing Is a bad thing indeed .
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by zoedew: 8:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
USE YOUR VOTES WISELY AND ELECT FOLKS WHO ARE SERIOUS ABOUT GOVERNANCE.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by samdaisi: 8:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
After chasing them away from the cursed region they will come to Lagos claiming to be developers

1 Like

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Bar1941(m): 8:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
This people dey suffer I swear, no wonder they always like to run to Obodo Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Teenaira: 8:19pm On Sep 18, 2022
Angelfrost:
Sigh... SouthEast and Erosion Sha!

What they need is aggressive tree planting right from the local government level not engineers. The state government and local government can partner with the inhabitants by providing all the logistics and get cheap labour from the inhabitants otherwise, this area will soon become inhabitable. Once they start something visible then they can also call on the federal government. This is a real emergency.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Ingocof(m): 8:29pm On Sep 18, 2022
He also loves to sleep there?

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Lovetbecky(f): 8:32pm On Sep 18, 2022
Where is our hope on nigeria go better self?
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by cydak(m): 8:48pm On Sep 18, 2022
This is serious.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by viodemus: 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
Only in Nigeria do a little complex issue become insurmountable.

From my view, based on raw science, if you know the water table of that area, and also understand the water flow in the area, then you can plan a better underground and ground level piping system. This will relieve the soil of its absorbed rain water or home or business building water (portable and non portable). Then the LG can come up with a better home building guideline in that area.

One of the problem is obviously the soil type, its moisture properties, then seeing how to the manage the moisture level. If they had a better water management, they would be able to manage that can help strengthen the soil in the areas you want to manage.

In this case, I think the builders didn't study the soil well enough. Did the building fall more where the building draini terminates, - if so lack of foundation understanding and lack of maintenance.

The LG needs to understand the erosion surface grains, better understand the deterioration points or areas. Understand the pattern of degradation. Have those data, so that people can help you with solutions. Some things are policy, while somethings are engineering.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by olab059(m): 9:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
I didn't see the two storey building that was swallowed.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by pharmaking: 9:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
The people of Amaewu

Wait a minute, EWU no be goat?

Eya, erosion has swallowed goats and their houses.

If they are not goats, didn't they see the progression before now?

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Emmanueldavis(m): 9:14pm On Sep 18, 2022
[quote author=JoshTim post=116790092]See their dungeon call city. Tufiaka. BAT 2023.

God forbid Igbo.[/quote

Mad man, bende is a village in abia state
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Spandau: 9:20pm On Sep 18, 2022
Corridon:
God save Abia people. Peter Obi will rescue Nigeria.

You guys don't even know how to be fanatics. You're getting disgusting with this Obi thing.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Jossibest(m): 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2022
The same thing that is happning here at delta state governors home town Agbor delta state
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by shortIGBOman: 9:25pm On Sep 18, 2022
wiseone28:
Can't they plant trees?

Nothing works in the EAST. Even good economy Trees don't grow in that Region. Something is wrong with that Region. Seems then too offend our Father in heaven. grin

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Skodiswayze(m): 9:29pm On Sep 18, 2022
I was posted to Amibo Autonomous school, directly behind Umuahia south local government secretariat, I had to relocate immediately after camp back to my dear south west, Ogun state, Abia state is next to Cairo in terms of Development, e too fine na why I no stay grin

lolu2019:
My NYSC camp was umunna bende.God will help u people restore all that u have lost.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by BurialGround: 9:35pm On Sep 18, 2022
truthfinder319:
With your name; you are a low life. Find a job

I don't expect much from the child of a lunatic.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by paradiseVirgin: 9:38pm On Sep 18, 2022
The red wastelands called South East Nigeria grin
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by lolu2019: 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2022
Skodiswayze:
I was posted to Amibo Autonomous school, directly behind Umuahia south local government secretariat, I had to relocate immediately after camp back to my dear south west, Ogun state, Abia state is next to Cairo in terms of Development, e too fine na why I no stay grin

i ended up at Osisioma local government. I really enjoyed my stay.bro,u don miss something.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by AnanseK(m): 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2022
The Erosion ridden dot in a circle.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Truthdeypain: 9:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
JoshTim:
See their dungeon call city. Tufiaka. BAT 2023.

God forbid Igbo.

This idiot is probably taking a shit in his food bowl, inside that mud, brownroofed thing you call a house. Didn't you hear a two storey building, two storey building was swallowed in what appears to be a natural disaster.

The real question is do you have a two storey building where you come from? Do you know what it looks like? I doubt it. Do you even have a building with a modern roof and bricks? What you do have in abundance is tons and tons of brownroof mudhouses (without toilets) grin grin
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 18, 2022
Red earth, quicksand! No wonder they chase after "it" in vain
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Angelfrost(m): 9:52pm On Sep 18, 2022
Teenaira:

What they need is aggressive tree planting right from the local government level not engineers. The state government and local government can partner with the inhabitants by providing all the logistics and get cheap labour from the inhabitants otherwise, this area will soon become inhabitable. Once they start something visible then they can also call on the federal government. This is a real emergency.

You are right....

Sadly, they are more interested in stealing and playing the victims!
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by zuto4u(m): 9:55pm On Sep 18, 2022
Keep rejoicing about the misfortunes of others. Soon, misfortunes will start knocking on your door, I pray u have the strength to rejoice when the time comes.
Totilopussylick:
What a conducive environment
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Truthdeypain: 10:02pm On Sep 18, 2022
Teenaira:

Thanks for your genuine concerns.

The erosion issue is largely isolated to some geo locations. It's not a "south east" thing,
thats a hasty generalization. It is an ecological emergency as well, Just like flooding, there's also no simple arithmetic to it, tree planting will certainly help.

Haven't seen those massive landslides in Enugu or Ebonyi it's more prone in some communities in Abia and Anambra and maybe some places I am not sure about.

For those masturbating on the thread, a (modern) two storey building was swallowed by a natural disaster in a village, it wasn't an ancient mud, brown roofed structure, with no toilets.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by Truthdeypain: 10:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
viodemus:
Only in Nigeria do a little complex issue become insurmountable.

From my view, based on raw science, if you know the water table of that area, and also understand the water flow in the area, then you can plan a better underground and ground level piping system. This will relieve the soil of its absorbed rain water or home or business building water (portable and non portable). Then the LG can come up with a better home building guideline in that area.

One of the problem is obviously the soil type, its moisture properties, then seeing how to the manage the moisture level. If they had a better water management, they would be able to manage that can help strengthen the soil in the areas you want to manage.

In this case, I think the builders didn't study the soil well enough. Did the building fall more where the building draini terminates, - if so lack of foundation understanding and lack of maintenance.

The LG needs to understand the erosion surface grains, better understand the deterioration points or areas. Understand the pattern of degradation. Have those data, so that people can help you with solutions. Some things are policy, while somethings are engineering.

1 Like

Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by brandsoncharlie: 10:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
Metrix147:
Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-Storey Building, 4-Bedroom Bungalow

The people of Amaewu, Umueze, Amamba Uzuakoli in Bende local government of Abia State now live in panic following a gully erosion site which has defied all solutions after several millions of Naira was expended in tackling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGjw7atyqc
Speaking with ABN TV Friday, the member representing Bende South constituency in Abia State House of Assembly, Hon. Emmanuel Chinedu Ndubuisi said an indigene of the community living overseas has lost his 2-storey building to the erosion despite making frantic efforts to bring it under control.

The lawmaker also added that the community has consistently made efforts to change the course of the gully site to no avail, leading to the collapse of another 4-bedroom bungalow.

According to him, he reached out to the NEWMAP who came and gave their expert advise, a step that has been followed but the gully still persists.

While stating that more buildings in the community are under the threat of the erosion, Hon. Ndubuisi hinted that the community has commenced a fresh palliative work following an advise by NEWMAP team to mitigate the flood impact.

"NEWMAP team advised that the community should do a drainage down to the river so that more buildings will not be threatened but I don't know if the money available to the community now can do that.

"What we want to do now is to use a kind of sandbags to slow down the speed of the flood so that the devastation will reduce, which the engineers told us will reduce the devastation," he said.

On interventions from lawmakers representing the people at the National Assembly, Hon. Ndubuisi said members representing Bende Federal Constituency, Rep. Benjamin Kalu, and the Senator representing Abia North, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu are aware of the challenges of the people.

According to him, only the state government has intervened through NEWMAP, saying efforts are ongoing to get other agencies of government for their intervention.

Source: https://abntv.com.ng/news/panic-in-abia-community-as-erosion-site-swallows-2-storey-building-4-bedroom-bungalow-photos-video/
I talked about site investigation before erecting a building today.
The client didn't do that before build no geo survey just started building house just like that.
Re: Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video) by JoshTim: 10:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
Truthdeypain:

This idiot is probably taking a shit in his food bowl, inside that mud, brownroofed thing you call a house. Didn't you hear a two storey building, two storey building was swallowed in what appears to be a natural disaster.

The real question is do you have a two storey building where you come from? Do you know what it looks like? I doubt it. Do you even have a building with a modern roof and bricks? What you do have in abundance is tons and tons of brownroof mudhouses (without toilets) grin grin

We know you developers....carry cocaine go Malaysia, Saudi, India and china.

Typical Ipig

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria / JJ Emejulu "I Own Enugu Airport": Man Arrests Airport Staff With IGP Squad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.