Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most (2861 Views)

Our Pursuit Of Biafra Non-negotiable —kanu Speaks From DSS Custody / Reactions Over Esan Been Biafra (photos) / Buhari's Victory A Referendum On Honesty And Integrity - New York Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 5:24pm On Sep 17, 2022
New York Times: The Biafran Minorities
It had been Biafra's non‐Ibo minority that suffered most.

Several things must not go unnoticed by a world horrified at the Nigerian tragedy and baffled by its complexities. At the showdown, Colonel Effiong, one of the few non‐Ibos in Biafra's top echelon, was left to cope with the collapse and preside over the liquidation of the secessionist effort. Nor should the world overlook that part of Colonel Effiong's surrender broadcast that said: “Our people are disillusioned and those elements of the old regime that made negotiations and reconciliation impossible have removed themselves voluntarily from our midst.”

The fact is that some Biafran leaders had long desired to negotiate for some form of Nigerian reunification under Organization of African Unity auspices rather than persevere with a hopeless secessionist struggle at appalling human cost. But these men never prevailed over the Ibo hawks who always had their way with General Ojukwu and now, judging from Colonel Effiong's remark, have presumably fled abroad with him.

Another fact which General Ojukwu inadvertently dramatized in leaving the final responsibility on Col nel Effiong is that at least until the last stages of the thirty‐month war it had been Biafra's non‐Ibo minority that suffered most. The attitude of these five million—forty per cent of Biafra's original population —toward secession was always questionable.

Many of them never wanted an independent Biafra, having resented Ibo domination in Nigeria's former Eastern Region for many years. Some of the minorities suffered savage reprisals at Ibo hands for refusing to leave their homes and accompany the retreating Biafran troops.
They made up the vast majority in Biafra's refugee camps as the secessionist enclave was reduced to the Ibo heartland. It may seem unkind to recall these things at the moment of Biafra's collapse after a tremendous struggle against overwhelming odds. But the record of Biafra's agony must be kept straight even at a time when the world's attention is rightly concentrated on alleviating the suffering and restoring peace.

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/01/17/archives/the-biafran-minorities.html

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by LoneWolf212: 5:26pm On Sep 17, 2022
It's a pity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Jashub: 5:27pm On Sep 17, 2022
True talk . But I am voting for Obi not because he is igbo, but because he has something to unify Nigeria

P.S : I am from the Niger Delta

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Totilopussylick(m): 5:28pm On Sep 17, 2022
Confirm truth angry

3 Likes

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Delacroix6(m): 5:29pm On Sep 17, 2022
Bonjour!

Hi, My name is Sunday, I am an undergraduate in a Nigerian university. I am studying French language. I am a lover of languages and accents.

If you know me personally, you probably already know how long I've dreamed of learning the French and Spanish languages sincere I was a little boy. If you don't know me, I'm glad you managed to get here.

I got admitted into a university in Nigeria after years of waiting since I graduated from secondary school. Barely a year after my admission, the The Academy staff union of universities in Nigeria declared strike on 14th of February 2022 to protest against the underpayment of university lecturers. Sabotaging my education and postponing my graduation date farther.

Getting a student visa is quite difficult as it upholds requirements that I currently do not meet. But I have the drive and motivation to learn and improve my french. I only need your help to be able to cover some of the expenses. This fundraising campaign is set up to raise funds to cover my study abroad trip to France. This will be my first trip out of Nigeria and it will be a challenging, new and frightening experience, but I hope that in the end it will be incredibly rewarding.

To fund this trip, I'll use the money I've accrued and saved over the last few months from work to help sponsor myself Which won’t be able to enough for my trip, neither will it be enough to become eligible for a visa. I genuinely ask that you consider making a small donation to help me pursue my dreams. I would be happy if you could use the

[Help by sharing] button to share about my project! Merci beaucoup à vous.

Once I have gained 3 supporters, I'll will be ranked up to the Worldwide Stage, and I will be able to gather support from the rest of the world!
+2349069461733 if you wish to contact me on WhatsApp.

https://www.airfunding.net/project/720693?utm_campaign=app_project_first_share&utm_content=project_id_720693&utm_medium=social&utm_source=whatsapp

Seun | Ishilove | Slawormirr |woundedlamb | lalasticlala | NwaAmaikpe
Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2022
Biafra was an unqualified evil in minority lands.

I am quite interested in your Biafran War story. Up till now, the Igbos have completely dominated that narrative…

Yes, they’ve been blessed with powerful writers like Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie, Chinelo Okparanta, etc., and an army of Biafran War scholars, you know… I think, like you, most Nigerians would be interested in knowing what happened to our minorities in Biafra. I am just happy that after 50 years, I have been able to do it my way. I say my way because I am not the first minority to write about the Biafran War.

How do you think the Igbos would react to the Biafran atrocities against our minorities in your book?

Most of them think they alone suffered in the war… but, Professor Okey Ndibe, a foremost Igbo intellectual, novelist and essayist, really asked great questions at the Rain Taxi interview a day after the book came out.
Okey was really brilliant. That’s an example of someone who is listening, someone who can empathize. I sincerely believe it would be to the benefit of our Igbo brothers and sisters to listen. Knowledge is a good thing. The Igbos themselves are a people who believe in diversity. We cannot say it enough: the Igbo suffered a lot in the war—but they, too, can learn. Biafra was an unqualified evil in minority lands. They just plundered the place, raping men and women. They looked down on us. We were nothing to them. Many of them still look down on us today… otherwise, how do you explain this so-called map of the new Biafra that still includes minority lands? Who told them the Isokos want to be in Biafra? Have they asked your people?

I must tell you right away, the Annangs, Efiks, Ibibios, Orons, Ogonis, etc., who’ve read the book are quite happy to see their towns and languages and their war dilemmas and atrocities in the book. Why should we remain fringe characters or nameless “saboteurs” in these narratives? Look, [b]Biafra was no better than Nigeria in raping and torturing and killing [/b]our peoples…We’ve been erased from the war narrative for so long. As long as you keep writing about the war as a fight between the Yorubas and Hausas and Igbos (the three major ethnic groups), the Igbos remain the victims. But as soon as widen this lens to include the minorities, at least in Biafra, then the story becomes complicated. You begin to see that the Igbos might have had their knee on our neck even while being crushed by the horrible Nigeria army.

• Ajeluorou is the publisher of online art/culture platform, AnoteArtHub (www.anotearthub.com).

https://guardian.ng/art/new-york-my-village-biafra-from-another-minoritys-lens/?fbclid=IwAR2r4PM9OTAp0p_yRFQoYHWHv5-1I2T0eBMVei2F9_0XovL39FoNUamvh8E

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2022
Dustbin garbage

5 Likes

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 5:40pm On Sep 17, 2022
Laggafin:
Dustbin garbage
IPOBI, HOW FAR?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by seunmsg(m): 5:43pm On Sep 17, 2022
This is the part of the war they always don’t want to talk about. Minorities in the old eastern region suffered by far more than the Igbo majority during the war. When it became obvious that Uli airstrip would fall, Ojukwu quickly loaded his family and top Igbo friend into the only available plane and ran away leaving Effiong (a minority) to handle the mess.

Funny enough, the old eastern region minorities have since moved on. You hardly hear them talk about the civil war anymore. Some people don’t even know they suffered in some instances more than the Igbos during the civil war. Not surprisingly, Jonathan from the minority tribes was elected as president of Nigeria and served for about 6years.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 5:44pm On Sep 17, 2022
spearman:

IPOBI, HOW FAR?
Be çareful
Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 5:48pm On Sep 17, 2022
Laggafin:

Be çareful
OK YEEEEEBO

5 Likes

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 5:53pm On Sep 17, 2022
spearman:

OK YEEEEEBO
All this agbado eating BATs looking for relevance by force..when we turn on the heat now.. they start screaming blue murder lule upandan.. make Una warn this one wen de tag me now ooo angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 5:56pm On Sep 17, 2022
seunmsg:
This is the part of the war they always don’t want to talk about. Minorities in the old eastern region suffered by far more than the Igbo majority during the war. When it became obvious that Uli airstrip would fall, Ojukwu quickly loaded his family and top Igbo friend into the only available plane and ran away leaving Effiong (a minority) to handle the mess.

Funny enough, the old eastern region minorities have since moved on. You hardly hear them talk about the civil war anymore. Some people don’t even know they suffered in some instances more than the Igbos during the civil war. Not surprisingly, Jonathan from the minority tribes was elected as president of Nigeria and served for about 6years.
Mister awon history.. what's your point exactly or ur mission on spilling this fake news !!
Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by seunmsg(m): 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2022
Laggafin:

Mister awon history.. what's your point exactly or ur mission on spilling this fake news !!

Go and ask New York Times.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2022
seunmsg:

Go and ask New York Times.
And whoever told u new York times don't carry fake news?? Like are u for real.... It's same you guys who are calling CNN and other western media organizations pathological liers when they report news about Africa.. isn't dis too much of hypocrisy when u guys blow hot and cold on same issues

1 Like

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2022
Laggafin:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 6:04pm On Sep 17, 2022
spearman:

Go and tell your pee poo lord that you have failed.. try harder next time
Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 6:11pm On Sep 17, 2022
Laggafin:

Go and tell your pee poo lord that you have failed.. try harder next time

Your ancestors just 100 years ago Mr Cannibal till this day.

For Niger Delta, Peter Obi is the referendum on South South inclusion in Biafrauud, the country without map:

https://www.nairaland.com/7217810/niger-delta-igbo-peter-obi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 6:15pm On Sep 17, 2022
spearman:

Your ancestors just 100 years ago Mr, Cannibal till this day.

For Niger Delta, Peter Obi is the referendum on South South inclusion in Biafrauud, the country without map:

https://www.nairaland.com/7217810/niger-delta-igbo-peter-obi
They are no match to ur SKUll mining Afonjaaa ancestors
Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2022
Laggafin:

They are no match to ur SKUll mining Afonjaaa ancestors

The Nomadic One.
Coming Next.

3 Likes

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Laggafin: 6:25pm On Sep 17, 2022
spearman:

The Nomadic One.
Coming Next.
Empty chest beaters.. till the end of ages.. you guys can't match the guys from the great East.. impossible

2 Likes

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by techWriter3: 8:11pm On Sep 17, 2022
come and question New York Times

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by gidgiddy: 8:15pm On Sep 17, 2022
seunmsg:

The funny thing about people like the above who say that the minorities of Biafra suffered under Igbos is that when you ask them to give you one example of this, they will have nothing to say

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 9:46pm On Sep 17, 2022
gidgiddy:

The funny thing about people like the above who say that the minorities of Biafra suffered under Igbos is that when you ask them to give you one example of this, they will have nothing to say
Ibos are history-less. Their ancestors stayed hidden in the evil forest while the whole world moved on without them. Oyinbo arrival gave them identity.
While Africa had Songhai, Oyo, Soninke, Benin, Mali, Kanem Bornu Empires, they were not mentioned. Even mere 400 years ago, dem no dey.
Go and verify!
So today, with the smallest landmass of any major tribe, they are making noise!
So they got raised in lies and pain and bigotry. Evidence of their barefaced lies and courage with drugs.

We must roll back Ibo lies and hate!

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by M4A1carbine: 10:04pm On Sep 17, 2022
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 17, 2022
Jashub:
True talk . But I am voting for Obi not because he is igbo, but because he has something to unify Nigeria

the earlier you know obi is a fraud that has nothing to offer the better for you. Just scrutinize the guy very well

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by Jashub: 10:45pm On Sep 17, 2022
michaelandre:
the earlier you know obi is a fraud that has nothing to offer the better for you. Just scrutinize the guy very well
And Bola the drug baron is the answer abi? You make me laugh ... grin
Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by gidgiddy: 12:31am On Sep 18, 2022
spearman:

Ibos are history-less. Their ancestors stayed hidden in the evil forest while the whole world moved on without them. Oyinbo arrival gave them identity.
While Africa had Songhai, Oyo, Soninke, Benin, Mali, Kanem Bornu Empires, they were not mentioned. Even mere 400 years ago, dem no dey.
Go and verify!
So today, with the smallest landmass of any major tribe, they are making noise!
So they got raised in lies and pain and bigotry. Evidence of their barefaced lies and courage with drugs.

We must roll back Ibo lies and hate!

Kanem Bornu empire, Oyo empire, Sokoto empire, Benin empire...............

Igbos dont care about empires and they dont like empires

Will any empire pay my children's school fees and feed my family?

The Igbo man is about making things happen now or in the near future, not dwelling on past empires that are long gone and cant help anyone today

2 Likes

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 12:55am On Sep 18, 2022
gidgiddy:

Kanem Bornu empire, Oyo empire, Sokoto empire, Benin empire...............

Igbos dont care about empires and they dont like empires

Will any empire pay my children's school fees and feed my family?

The Igbo man is about making things happen now or in the near future, not dwelling on past empires that are long gone and cant help anyone today
That your ancestors did could not organize Empires is why Ibos are landlocked nomadic parasitic Unity Beggars.
Nobody will let Ibo lead in anything. Ibo will never rule Nigeria till we separate. Obi will be a distant 3rd and Nigeria will end inside 4 years and Ibos will be kicked out of Lagos.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by michelz: 1:06am On Sep 18, 2022
spearman:

[b]That your ancestors did could not organize Empires is why Ibos are landlocked nomadic parasite Unity Beggars. [/b]Nobody will let Ibo lead in anything. Ibo will never rule Nigeria till we separate. Obi will be a distant 3rd and Nigeria will end inside 4 years and Ibos will be kicked out of Lagos.
Lol... Which Lagos? The No man's land?
Hehehe.
Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by spearman(m): 1:16am On Sep 18, 2022
michelz:

Lol... Which Lagos? The No man's land?
Hehehe.

See what happens to nomad and gypsy tribes in 'no man's land'. See weeping and gnashing by 'developers'.

"ONE NIGERIA HAS HAPPENED TO US"- IBOS LAMENT IN LAGOS OVER DEMOLITIONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_Mu2Ee0Tc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New York Times: It Had Been Biafra's Non‐ibo Minority That Suffered Most by ImperialYoruba: 1:21am On Sep 18, 2022
Jashub:

You have no choice. Igbo is already 40% population of SS. Obi himself said this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Isreal To Surrender Soon / Drug Syndicate Conceals 3,200kg Of Cocaine In Candles / 15year Old Nigerian Boy Builds Generator Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.