Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,642 members, 7,823,826 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver (1696 Views)

How To Block Incoming Call Without Notifying The Caller / How To Make The Receiver Pay For All Your Calls,on Any Network In Nigeria. / With True Caller, Is Our Privacy Really Secure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by IntelChief: 3:59pm On Sep 18, 2022
This particular female friend of mine has this very ugly attitude of never calling at all. As I gentleman, I always do the calling not thinking too much about it. But whenever I choose to call, you need to hear her nag about me just remembering her after forgetting about her for decades...bla bla bla and bla.
I will always laugh about it and let it slide.

So today after church today, I felt like saying hi to her since its been awhile we spoke. When the phone began to ring, she took her time before picking up, I almost thought she will miss the call. But she didn't, she picked and kept quiet. I kept quiet too waiting for her to say hello or something. But it never came. The silence persisted; it was a weird moment I must confess. So at last I broke the ice and said "hello". Next thing I heard her say was "why do you always wait for me to say hello?"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Komoscofield: 4:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
if what you seek is confirmation, then yes you're a Simp and a Woman Wrapper, next person please.

18 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Fahvvy: 4:36pm On Sep 18, 2022
OP...
In case you haven't noticed, that girl sees you as a nuisance and the best thing you can do right now is to DELETE EVERY TRACE OF HER IN YOUR LIFE....

Delete her pictures...
Delete your chats with her...
Delete her phone number....
Delete EVERY SINGLE thing...

If you value yourself...
If you have any iota of self respect left in you...
You have even an average amount of self esteem...

You would do well to heed this advice....

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by meobizy(f): 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2022
Let me give you a trick my cousin used to catch a forty-six year old woman when he was only nineteen. Call her with a private/hidden number then throw insults her way. She’ll reply with insults then you fire back. Two of you will go back and forth until somebody gets angry and drops the call. Repeat the procedure for three consecutive market days. One day call her with your real number then continue. He, sha, told me he finally got her into bed and it was one of his fondest conquests.

As for your question; who normally asks “who’s there?” Is it the person who knocks or the person whose door is knocked on?

If you’re scared to lose her, pass me her number so my cousin will do the needed.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Waterlilly: 6:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
hmmm

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Machalla(m): 7:19pm On Sep 18, 2022
The caller is suppose to say hello on phone first. .. .
The caller is the person trying to reach out to the receiver.

If we are to look at this In real life situation. If you approach a person it expected that you be the one to talk first. Why because you obviously got something to say while the other listen before giving a response

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Machalla(m): 7:31pm On Sep 18, 2022
meobizy:
Let me give you a trick my cousin used to catch a forty-six year old woman when he was only nineteen. Call her with a private/hidden number then throw insults her way. She’ll reply with insults then you fire back. Two of you will go back and forth until somebody gets angry and drops the call. Repeat the procedure for three consecutive market days. One day call her with your real number then continue. He, sha, told me he finally got her into bed and it was one of his fondest conquests.

As for your question; who normally asks “who’s there?” Is it the person who knocks or the person whose door is knocked on?

If you’re scared to lose her, pass me her number so my cousin will do the needed.

Your cousin or you shocked
Abeg no dey disguise cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
What happened to leaving the table when disrespect is served?

7 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 18, 2022
Machalla:

If we are to look at this In real life situation. If you approach a person it expected that you be the one to talk first. Why because you obviously got something to say while the other listen before giving a response

If you approach a person, do you begin screaming their name to get their attention? Your example is off. The receiver says hello and not the caller. Waiting for the caller to say hello is a sign of pride and arrogance, lack of basic phone etiquette, and general mannerlessnees.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Zonefree(m): 9:18pm On Sep 18, 2022
We're breeding sissy men rapidly these days undecided

I suggest we engage in one war with a nearby country so most Nigerian men will sit up.

Imagine a grown azzz man asking who should say Hello undecided

Vagina that sees you as pest is what you're stressing yourself over
Shame on you!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Machalla(m): 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2022
Shoodboi:

If you approach a person, do you begin screaming their name to get their attention? Your example is off. The receiver says hello and not the caller. Waiting for the caller to say hello is a sign of pride and arrogance, lack of basic phone etiquette, and general mannerlessnees.

Lol calm down.
Your comment got no facts, no logical reasons as to why the receiver MUST be the one to say hello first?
Why talking about pride?. It has nothing to do with this ..
When you reach out to a person on phone. You expected to say hello and introduce yourself.
That is how it should be done and not the other way around. But I will leave it here seeing that your comment is heavily laced with emotions and enormous confirmation bias with the words like "pride" "mannerless" arrogance

6 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by IntelChief: 9:52pm On Sep 18, 2022
Machalla:

I have some sympathy towards your argument. But I beg to differ.
I feel the fundamental issue here is the issue of 'social norm/convention'. It is customary for the receiver to be the one saying the hello first.

Whether that's appropriate or not, it doesn't count. What counts I think is what society considers normal.

I would love to hear your thoughts concerning this my position. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by weezydee(m): 1:11am On Sep 19, 2022
I don't understand why you still have her contact on your phone or in your life sef.. person no dey send you, you still dey force yourself on am. Ah!

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by jeromestarks: 1:55am On Sep 19, 2022
IntelChief:
This particular female friend of mine has this very ugly attitude of never calling at all. As I gentleman, I always do the calling not thinking too much about it. But whenever I choose to call, you need to hear her nag about me just remembering her after forgetting about her for decades...bla bla bla and bla.

So today after church today, I felt like saying hi to her since its been awhile we spoke. When the phone began to ring, she took her time before picking up, I almost thought she will miss the call. But she didn't, she picked and kept quiet. I kept quiet too waiting for her to say hello or something. But it never came. The silence persisted; it was a weird moment I must confess. So at last I broke the ice and said "hello". Next thing I heard her say was "why do you always wait for me to say hello?"
Don't date dumb girls.
Don't keep stupid girls as friends.
Put your happiness first.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by jeromestarks: 1:56am On Sep 19, 2022
weezydee:
I don't understand why you still have her contact on your phone or in your life sef.. person no dey send you, you still dey force yourself on am. Ah!
Ah just wonder too.
I think the Op has psychological problem.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by jeromestarks: 1:58am On Sep 19, 2022
IntelChief:

I have some sympathy towards your argument. But I beg to differ.
I feel the fundamental issue here is the issue of 'social norm/convention'. It is customary for the receiver to be the one saying the hello first.

Whether that's appropriate or not, it doesn't count. What counts I think is what society considers normal.

I would love to hear your thoughts concerning this my position. Thanks
Don't try to be smart on issues bordering around stupid people.
The girl doesn't have his time. SIMPLE!
Which one come be all this your English.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by favour32(m): 5:27am On Sep 19, 2022
If you call me now....
and I receive the call...
I go say,"hello!".

Who call and the receiver say "hello", nai dem define as communication.

"Hello!!" from the receiver as a call came through is the feedback.

Caller-----message(call)----receiver

Communication is INCOMPLETE if the receiver pick the call and did not send feedback by saying, "hello".

Communication is a message sent and there is a receipt of message in the form of feedback.

Na so we study am for corrosive decades ago, wey larger percentages of Nairalanders still dey formless.

Who nor go nor know.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by phemmyfour: 5:33am On Sep 19, 2022
IntelChief:

Both of you are childish ....There are many important things to fight and argue over in a relationship. Since you guys are starting with "hello" ....I don't think you are ready yet

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 19, 2022
Machalla:

Lol calm down.
Your comment got no facts, no logical reasons as to why the receiver MUST be the one to say hello first?
Why talking about pride?. It has nothing to do with this ..
When you reach out to a person on phone. You expected to say hello and introduce yourself.
That is how it should be done and not the other way around. But I will leave it here seeing that your comment is heavily laced with emotions and enormous confirmation bias with the words like "pride" "mannerless" arrogance

I'm not talking with emotions. I'm talking in reference to what the lady did.

That said, this is the first time I'm hearing someone insist it's the caller that says hello. Everyone I know says hello. Even when I run into random people picking calls, they all say hello.

If we go back to the history of the telephone, it was Thomas Edison, the inventor of an early telephone, and rival to Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, that insisted we say Hello when we pick calls. Graham Bell also agrees the receiver greets first though he preferred "Ahoy".

The idea behind saying hello (or even anything else) is to make the caller know you have picked the call. For most of history, there's no way the caller could know the receiver has picked the call. Even today, some phones notify the caller the receiver has picked, but most don't. So the receiver says hello to make the caller know they've picked the call and are ready for a conversation.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by weezydee(m): 7:56am On Sep 19, 2022
jeromestarks:

Ah just wonder too.
I think the Op has psychological problem.
Lol, he might be a lonely guy or gentleman. Maybe he thinks his little little investment of care will make her value him.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by IntelChief: 8:41am On Sep 19, 2022
Shoodboi:

I'm not talking with emotions. I'm talking in reference to what the lady did.

That said, this is the first time I'm hearing someone insist it's the caller that says hello. Everyone I know says hello. Even when I run into random people picking calls, they all say hello.

If we go back to the history of the telephone, it was Thomas Edison, the inventor of an early telephone, and rival to Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, that insisted we say Hello when we pick calls. Graham Bell also agrees the receiver greets first though he preferred "Ahoy".

The idea behind saying hello (or even anything else) is to make the caller know you have picked the call. Some phones notify the caller a person has picked, but most don't. So the receiver says hello to make the caller know they've picked the call and are ready for a conversation.

Wow, this thread has taken an historicall dimension o grin

I agree with you sha.
Initiating a call is akin to saying "hi" to a person physically. When the person hears the "hi" (ie. Picks up the call), cutesy demands he/she responds with a "hello" or something.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Nobody: 9:18am On Sep 19, 2022
People still dey call girls or friends these days? The last people I called in like the last 6 months are my mom and dad, I only chat up my hook-up girls when I need them grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by chariisGRACE(m): 11:01am On Sep 19, 2022
When Jehovah Witnesses come to your place when you're inside your house, who knocks first?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by DaInferno(m): 1:34pm On Sep 19, 2022
Komoscofield:
if what you seek is confirmation, then yes you're a Simp and a Woman Wrapper, next person please.

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by SIMONEKPA7: 2:24pm On Sep 19, 2022
Change your name from IntelChief to Simpschief. Ode

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Ournolly: 4:36pm On Sep 19, 2022
Machalla:

That's not true.

The real explanation is knocking at the door, who answers first?

How can you call someone and say hello first?
Is this a joke or what?

The receiver that failed to say hello is either rude or suspecting the call which is somehow annoying. If you suspect a caller or do not want to answer the call, why picking up in the first place?

Also, you should be aware that hello in calls is a greeting confirmation that connection has been established between the caller and receiver.
Who is mandated to confirm receipt?
The giver or the receiver?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Mercury12(m): 4:41pm On Sep 19, 2022
Anyone can say hello first. Either the caller or the receiver.
It depends on different people's mindset and that we can notice on this thread.

I guess most Nigerian just say it to test the mic or be sure if the other person can hear them.
"Hello tue tue. Testing mic one two. One two"
grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by tafat: 11:37pm On Sep 19, 2022
Receiver, but because of how things be now e best make the pesin wey call introduce himself grin. Meanwhile, receive and enjoy uninterrupted calls and music with the Oraimo Rock, the enc feature it's got is just awesome.

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by phr0nesis(m): 7:30am On Sep 20, 2022
The Bible has to be reviewed, and unclude an 11th commandments.

"Thou shall not be a SIMP. Simping goes before destruction"

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Boogyman557: 9:51am On Sep 20, 2022
Holly Gram cool Na people like una de make me BLAST PESIN left leg wit my old KALA 4 FREE!

Advise.. Try make money for this Life, to avoid NONSENSE!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

1 Like

Re: Who Is Supposed To Say Hello? Caller Or Receiver by Kolisky(m): 5:51pm On Sep 20, 2022
Komoscofield:

Liked cheesy

Abeg, pass me the remote. Make we next this one grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help My N97 Is Showing "memory Low" While Having 29.7gb Free / Price Of Blackberry Tour At Affordables. / Unable To Browse With Glo Sim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.