Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,660 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah (13726 Views)

Abioye Olajide Is Alive! His Company Paid ₦3.5M Ransom For His Release / Dad Of 2 Sells Car, Puts House On Sale To Pay Ransom For His Kidnapped Children / Bobosky: Wike Pays N30M Bounty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Omooba77: 7:16pm On Sep 19, 2022
The Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Bishop Matthew Kukah, has disclosed that he has paid almost N30 million as ransom to secure the release of his church priests in the hands of their captors.

Kukah made this known at a one-day “High-level forum on political communication and issue-based campaign in the 2023 general elections,” while speaking on the kind and subject that politicians must engage in as the official campaign dates draw closer.

The event which was organised by the National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies, in partnership with The Kukah Centre, was said to set the tone ahead of the election campaigns. 

According to him, Nigerians do not need anyone who projects himself as a messiah as we no longer need a messiah, but someone who truly understands the situation of things, adding that many times, people say what they do not mean in the process of their campaigns.

Kukah noted that campaigns henceforth must be identity-based, getting the right identity for the country and not emphasizing the things that really do matter.

He said, “When we talk about 2023 elections, we need to talk about how we will get ourselves out of all of these.

“The questions that the ordinary Nigerians are asking are legitimate and it is the responsibility of those who govern to deal frontally with the issue. We need to re-image and re-imagine Nigeria because the Nigeria that we have today is not the Nigeria that many of us can recognize.

“Before coming here, I was speaking with my brother, because two days ago, my nephew, his mother, and the driver were on their way to Abuja when they ran into the hands of kidnappers. My brother’s wife had an amputation some three months ago and they were bringing her to Abuja, so when the kidnappers saw the stomp on her leg, they had mercy on her and let her go.

“Right now, as we speak, my nephew and the driver of the vehicle are currently in the hands of the kidnappers, how it is going to end? I don’t know. Then they said they wanted N50m, they then said they wanted N20m, now they are staying on N30m.

Kukah added that he had in the past paid a total of about N30m to rescue the priests from his diocese from the hands of kidnappers.

He added, “I am the Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, I have spent about N30m the money I don’t have because my priests were kidnapped and I have nowhere to turn to.

“I am not ashamed to say it because these are essential realities. Anyone who wants to become president of Nigeria cannot pretend to stand before me without giving me empirical evidence from his or her record about how they intend to deal with these issues because there is a collective feeling of alienation.

Here in Abuja, just about a month or so, when the threats came that the bandits will enter into Abuja, everybody went undercover.

Kukah also admonished that politicians must develop the skill to manage diversity in such a way that the people do not feel left out. Because no matter what the effort that is put in place if the people do not see it, it would end as a futile effort.

He added, “I want to commend the National Assembly for what the action it has taken and the speed with which the Electoral Acts was passed.

“But that’s just the beginning, but there’s a challenge to convince Nigerians that they are voting and electing and choosing their leaders. There’s a crippling fear and the people do not really believe that the laws are changing.”

Kukah said he has many times tried to explain to people that it’s different when you’re involved in the act. The lens with which an issue is dissected by an outsider is totally different from when one is involved in the process.

The Bishop added, “I have always tried to explain to young people that a wedding is not a marriage; marriage starts after the wedding. What that means in essence is that a campaign is not an election and an election is not good governance.

There is always a difference between a person who is campaigning and when they become a president, governors, senators, and the rest.

“A campaigner seeks to capture the attention, so he can do everything he has to do to get your trust.

I tell people that it’s not like politicians are bad people, as those who have won elections will tell you, what they were seeing outside is usually different from when they get in.

https://punchng.com/ive-paid-n30m-ransom-for-church-priests-kukah

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by SpecialAdviser(m): 7:17pm On Sep 19, 2022
Too bad!

And one emilokan went to Sokoto to tell us how we inherited speaking in tongues from the bible. Instead of using that opportunity to explain his plan on tackling insecurities.

His attack dogs are busy attacking someone profering solutions. God will surely be our helper. On a more serious note, I would want to use this opportunity to inform all northerners who have suffered under APC insecurities. 2023 is the red line. If they buy you over, remember how difficult it will be to suffer another 4 years of insecurities.

VOTE WISELY!

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by NigerianAngelo(m): 7:19pm On Sep 19, 2022
Three Hail Marys for all Nigerians.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by endsarrrs(f): 7:24pm On Sep 19, 2022
We will never vote for APC who is sponsoring terrorism and bandits in our dear Nigeria

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Omooba77: 7:33pm On Sep 19, 2022
endsarrrs:
We will never vote for APC who sponsored terrorism and bandits

Nigerians don't learn or we have short memories......

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Givemehope(f): 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2022
Then let's vote wisely in 2023.

INEC, be warned!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by AirFireEarthH20: 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2022
Shettima is a grand patron of Boko Haram. He's APC VP candidate. Their aim is to subdue northern christians and possibly all christians in Nigeria. Remember Turkey? Don't vote base on religion and ethnicity in 2023 or the worst will happen with Tinubu/Shettima as president.

Vote wisely!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Antyislam: 7:51pm On Sep 19, 2022
When you hear vote wisely it simply mean you should vote Peter Obi , Tinubu must be rejected by means

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by loosecanon50(m): 8:46pm On Sep 19, 2022
Wise Nigerians, when you hear vote wisely, you know what that means. Nothing to see here

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 19, 2022
When you could have easily prayed to God to release them na,lol
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Wisetrue99: 9:16pm On Sep 19, 2022
Omooba77:
The Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Bishop Matthew Kukah, has disclosed that he has paid almost N30 million as ransom to secure the release of his church priests in the hands of their captors.

Kukah made this known at a one-day “High-level forum on political communication and issue-based campaign in the 2023 general elections,” while speaking on the kind and subject that politicians must engage in as the official campaign dates draw closer.

The event which was organised by the National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies, in partnership with The Kukah Centre, was said to set the tone ahead of the election campaigns. 

According to him, Nigerians do not need anyone who projects himself as a messiah as we no longer need a messiah, but someone who truly understands the situation of things, adding that many times, people say what they do not mean in the process of their campaigns.

Kukah noted that campaigns henceforth must be identity-based, getting the right identity for the country and not emphasizing the things that really do matter.

He said, “When we talk about 2023 elections, we need to talk about how we will get ourselves out of all of these.

“The questions that the ordinary Nigerians are asking are legitimate and it is the responsibility of those who govern to deal frontally with the issue. We need to re-image and re-imagine Nigeria because the Nigeria that we have today is not the Nigeria that many of us can recognize.

“Before coming here, I was speaking with my brother, because two days ago, my nephew, his mother, and the driver were on their way to Abuja when they ran into the hands of kidnappers. My brother’s wife had an amputation some three months ago and they were bringing her to Abuja, so when the kidnappers saw the stomp on her leg, they had mercy on her and let her go.

“Right now, as we speak, my nephew and the driver of the vehicle are currently in the hands of the kidnappers, how it is going to end? I don’t know. Then they said they wanted N50m, they then said they wanted N20m, now they are staying on N30m.”

Kukah added that he had in the past paid a total of about N30m to rescue the priests from his diocese from the hands of kidnappers.

He added, “I am the Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, I have spent about N30m the money I don’t have because my priests were kidnapped and I have nowhere to turn to.

“I am not ashamed to say it because these are essential realities. Anyone who wants to become president of Nigeria cannot pretend to stand before me without giving me empirical evidence from his or her record about how they intend to deal with these issues because there is a collective feeling of alienation.

“Here in Abuja, just about a month or so, when the threats came that the bandits will enter into Abuja, everybody went undercover.”

Kukah also admonished that politicians must develop the skill to manage diversity in such a way that the people do not feel left out. Because no matter what the effort that is put in place if the people do not see it, it would end as a futile effort.

He added, “I want to commend the National Assembly for what the action it has taken and the speed with which the Electoral Acts was passed.

“But that’s just the beginning, but there’s a challenge to convince Nigerians that they are voting and electing and choosing their leaders. There’s a crippling fear and the people do not really believe that the laws are changing.”

Kukah said he has many times tried to explain to people that it’s different when you’re involved in the act. The lens with which an issue is dissected by an outsider is totally different from when one is involved in the process.

The Bishop added, “I have always tried to explain to young people that a wedding is not a marriage; marriage starts after the wedding. What that means in essence is that a campaign is not an election and an election is not good governance.

“There is always a difference between a person who is campaigning and when they become a president, governors, senators, and the rest.

“A campaigner seeks to capture the attention, so he can do everything he has to do to get your trust.

“I tell people that it’s not like politicians are bad people, as those who have won elections will tell you, what they were seeing outside is usually different from when they get in.”

https://punchng.com/ive-paid-n30m-ransom-for-church-priests-kukah
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Omooba77: 6:58am On Sep 20, 2022
[quote author=Wisetrue99 post=116827321][/quote]

How this huge money got paid without trace....

3 Likes

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Betanaija42moro: 7:20am On Sep 20, 2022
No part of the country is secured again.
May APC administration never happen to Nigerians again.

2 Likes

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Omooba77: 8:14am On Sep 20, 2022
Betanaija42moro:
No part of the country is secured again.
May APC administration never happen to Nigerians again.

Many don't see the evil yet.......

1 Like

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Omooba77: 9:04am On Sep 20, 2022
loosecanon50:
When you hear vote wisely, you know what that means. Nothing to see here
What does it mean..... Lalasticlala.......

2 Likes

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by slivertongue: 10:08am On Sep 20, 2022
Very sad. Buhari has destroyed the country

4 Likes

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Kagd10: 10:28am On Sep 20, 2022
Omooba77:

Many don't see the evil yet.......

It's not about party but individuals. That's why I believe the Fulani should take a rest from political settings for a while. The Fulani always act anyhow whenever their brethren is in power and their so called brother don't call them to order. Not to mention the fact that their brethren tend to open the Northern borders for the criminal Fulani migrants to come in.

press9jatv:
Imagine and some people are preaching Muslim-Muslim ticket of APC . Say no to APC in February 25th presidential election. Atiku/Okowa has come to win.

The bandits are actually Fulanis.. which is what Atiku is. As a matter of fact, Atiku champions killer herdsmen.

3 Likes

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by SmartPolician: 10:31am On Sep 20, 2022
Kidnapping is really a big business in the north.

Politicians, terrorists and bandits are cashing out.

2 Likes

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Eriokanmi: 10:32am On Sep 20, 2022
Wow. Most of the victims of boko haram nicknamed bandits are the churches and religious leaders. I hardly hear of an imam being kidnapped in the north...maybe one out of hundreds of such victims and that's if such an imam had compromised by condemning their attacks on innocemt people. The day I visited adamawa, lots of secrete were revealed of the Christian communities. These evil people just want to give Islam a bad name ni.
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Mindlog: 10:32am On Sep 20, 2022
Sad and APC wants Nigerians to continue to have faith in them.

1 Like

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by money121(m): 10:33am On Sep 20, 2022
Ok
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Elidrisy20: 10:34am On Sep 20, 2022
You are a fool
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by luvinhubby(m): 10:34am On Sep 20, 2022
This current APC regime led Muhammadu Buhari is the worst thing to happen to Nigeria since 1914, empty, weak, corrupt, wicked, looters, inept, outdated, extremists & aloof.

Bola Tinubu & Atiku Abubakar were both instrumental in securing victory for the APC in 2015 & we can not afford to reward them with another electoral victory

3 Likes

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Invest4growth: 10:35am On Sep 20, 2022
The Bishop should have been strategic in making such statements. Now he has exposed the churches to more attacks and requests for ransom. May God help us Amen

1 Like

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by EmmyDJourno: 10:36am On Sep 20, 2022
The more reason Kaduna must be Obidient kiss
30m that would have been put to better use is now being given to efulefus coz of bad governance

1 Like

Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by press9jatv: 10:37am On Sep 20, 2022
Imagine and some people are preaching Muslim-Muslim ticket of APC . Say no to APC in February 25th presidential election. Atiku/Okowa has come to win.
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Opinedecandid(m): 10:37am On Sep 20, 2022
We are changing the narrative.
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by flezkid101(m): 10:37am On Sep 20, 2022
I feel like crying for Nigeria
Re: I’ve Paid N30m Ransom For Church Priests - Bishop Kukah by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 20, 2022
grin. You too don become Ramson Nagotiator like Sheikh Gumi abi undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NRM Gubernatorial Candidate In Adamawa, Aliyu Maina Is Dead / "Emilokan" Does Not Means "Awalokan" - Sowore To South West / New Anambra State University Teaching Hospital Awka(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.