Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,694 members, 7,813,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? (12543 Views)

Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? / 6 Attributes Employers Look For In A Candidate / A Candidate Didn't Do Well In Her Interview But She Was Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by IPG25(m): 3:26pm On Sep 29, 2022
U asking questions is not bad
The job is not meant for ur class
And is not meant for u , i did't see anything wrong with ur questions
I deed very well.
Keep hurting, there's no arm in trying.
A better job is ahead of u i wish u all the Best.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by he1845(m): 3:27pm On Sep 29, 2022
I did in my last interview the MD was open to suggestions based on the field i specialized in and they really needed someone with my experience but ask questions if it wont hurt you
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Emman08: 3:27pm On Sep 29, 2022
It's an opportunity for you as the candidate to show you have done your research. When given the chance, ask something particular to the company's operations, strategy or achievements. It will show your interviewers you are genuinely interested in their organisation
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Lanre1st(m): 3:33pm On Sep 29, 2022
Asking question during interview is good and very important, but let your question shows your intelligent for the role or shows you know about the role and what it takes to deliver diligently. On not giving job, it always due to many qualified candidate available for the position. So just an excuse not causes
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Badguy77(m): 3:39pm On Sep 29, 2022
kamokaze10:
Otondo... you manage see interview, you successfully passed the stage but at the point where you should just SHUT UP and quietly leave the office knowing the job is 50% in the bag.

Village people decided to restart their WiFi network in your head... Wetin concern you with teamwork, is that what you're going there for? Mtcheeeewwww.

Abeg next...
Exactly my bro just shut up and have the job... Na real otondo
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Swallowurspit(m): 3:43pm On Sep 29, 2022
It’s important to ask questions, but the question you asked was stale. Every successful organisation is driven by team work.
Good questions to ask are;
1. What were the challenges faced by the person who held that position before?
2. What is the 5-10yrs goal set by the organisation?
3. Is there anything you would like me to clarify regarding my suitability for the job?
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by ProfChris10(m): 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2022
That was not a good question to have asked.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Regex: 4:00pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by IfnobeGod20: 4:26pm On Sep 29, 2022
Below is what killed your been recruited.
"You will agree with me that no knowledge is a waste and I tried my best explaining to the MD that I intend to gain practical knowledge and experience that will enable me grow in my career".

You think everyone would agree using their company as a stepping stone to your advancement when they know at any time you will Japa. You should have said, you are to gain knowledge and experience that will enable me internalize myself with the job for the overall growth of the company but you are more to growing your career at the expense of the company.

The question you asked was harmless but your reply to his question was harmful to the growth of his company.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by solomoni87(m): 4:26pm On Sep 29, 2022
ecolime:
It's not wrong. Must be a reasonable question though.

In other news, vote Peter Obi so our business people can create more jobs for the Youths.
this is one of the annoying part of the obidient movement, turning every discussion into political campaignes
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by blackmantis: 4:28pm On Sep 29, 2022
kamokaze10:
Otondo... you manage see interview, you successfully passed the stage but at the point where you should just SHUT UP and quietly leave the office knowing the job is 50% in the bag.

Village people decided to restart their WiFi network in your head... Wetin concern you with teamwork, is that what you're going there for? Mtcheeeewwww.

Abeg next...

Lol � Harsh but true words.....you are there for an interview not to lecture your prospective employer.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by blackmantis: 4:32pm On Sep 29, 2022
LordIsaac:
Actually, to an average Nigerian boss, your question is more imdictive than inquisitorial.
You know why we always pay attention to how people's comments have deeper meanings.

That same question could be captured thus: " I have observed team work amongst your staff. That's commendable and I really look forward to working with such a wonderful team. What's the secret sir?" grin

Oil dey your head.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by oneMalik: 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2022
your response HIRED you while your question FIRED you at the same time !

Now , you're hiring me as a driver and I asked you if the car am going to drive has a head lamp ? you're the boss so the choice is yours.

NEXT TIME ok
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Ujm1: 4:54pm On Sep 29, 2022
Yes
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by IfnobeGod20: 5:09pm On Sep 29, 2022
This complaint is to Seun Osewa: CAUTION YOUR ADMINS

Some of your admins have become so partisan that they now block people unjustly and sometime locked the quote or like buttons or both and thereby disallowing contrary opinions to manifest on the forum.
I am sure you didn't develop this forum to silent contrary opinions but to ensure healthy debate but many of your admins are doing to the contrary. There's need for you to sieve some of them because they are not worthy to be an admin of an open forum like Nairaland. They've constituted themselves as the lords of the ring that wish to dictate who to comment and who not to comment at will without any breach to the stipulated rules.
Since morning they've muted my like and quote buttons and blocked my comment after I have seen it fly.
You need to let them know that we are in an egalitarian society where opinion differs and no one can exert his/her opinion on others because I will continue giving support to Labour Party and her candidate, Mr. Peter Obi and nobody and I say nobody can deter me because I have my choice to make and not under anyone compulsion.
Thank you Mr. Seun Osewa the real Omoluabi ti ki fi owo osi juwe Ile baba re. Eledumare agbe gbogbo eniyan gidi ni Ile karo ojire.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by scobaba: 5:34pm On Sep 29, 2022
You did nothing wrong asking a question.
Tho asking if they work as a team was off.

You could ask how staff training is like.

You could ask a question about the company itself. Probably something you may have seen on their website.

Where I work, I saw a news about them on the newspaper a month earlier and I asked them how they resolved that issue under the 'Any question for us ' segment.

When I resumed working there. The white guy in the panel said that question alone gave me 5 marks no other person got. I

All the best in your subsequent endeavour. If they as u 'any question?', bro ask.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by akpunda86: 6:12pm On Sep 29, 2022
[quote author=Rubyjade post=116849528][/quote]

Me I do,I got my job at Lafarge then ,as an Electrical Engineer Head,the Electrical dude that interviewed me goofed ,after interview ,I raised my hand and asked if I could ask a question,the White man there said go ahead,I requested for a sheet of paper,they gave me board ink,I lectured them for 30 mins on machine automation and even corrected the electrical head on his mistake politely without telling him,I laughed dropped the ink,white man asked his own question. I answered.I thanked them and left.
3 weeks later was the white man that called me I came HR all was scared cos me I be baba,negotiation time they want pay me peanut,I gave them my figure,HR said much,I politely thanked them left.next morning white man called me HR was there,they offered me wat I requested ,
I left them company work no be 4me.
In interviews as questions u are 100% sure.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by KLand(m): 6:18pm On Sep 29, 2022
No it is not wrong to ask questions during an interview. In fact it's expected that you ask because it shows your level of confidence.

However, avoid asking too personal questions and ask only professional ones.

In your case, I think the question you asked about team work was professional enough. So stop beating yourself down because like I said earlier, you didn't ask the wrong question.

The reason you were not hired is because the MD felt intimidated by your question. He calls the shots there and is not open to someone 'challenging' the status quo in the name of team work.

Besides he also fears that you might not stay long with the company considering you appear very ambitious and overly qualified for the position being filked

Bottomline, that job was not mean for you. You will eventually get a place that would accept your level of confidence and not reject you for it.

Final advice: cheer up, there are better opportunities ahead for you. God bless.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by g4gerald: 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2022
ogatboy:
It is always good to ask questions. It shows you are inquisitive and interested. A standard question to ask is, 'how would you measure my success or progress in the given role?'
Lol... Dat one na oversabi question o
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by chapwiz(m): 6:36pm On Sep 29, 2022
JosephJP:
To me that question sounds a little bit embarrassing, I would say that should not be a basis for you not to be given the role you applied for, but as you know we're all different.
What Mr A might see no offense in, Mr B might find it highly offensive.
How does that question sound embarrassing? In my company teamwork is part of our core value and if you ask the MD or any senior manager about teamwork they will glad to explain to you the important of teamwork and encourage you to practice it. My take, the MD is proud.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Gentlesoul2021(m): 8:23pm On Sep 29, 2022
[quote author=Rubyjade post=116849528][/quote]

Let’s connect
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Demigod22: 9:41pm On Sep 29, 2022
Chizzyjforce:
If there's a meaning question to ask, go ahead and ask, if not, don't ask unnecessary questions.

I remember asking the HR team of over 7 how was my performance when they asked if I have a question, we all started laughing because all of us including myself knew that I did Nonsense grin grin grin

Hahaha, you made my day with this comment.

I did nonsense killed it for me.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Makaveli1166(m): 10:47pm On Sep 29, 2022
Sweetplum:
Yes.
Questions like:
1. How much you go pay if it hasn't been mentioned before?
2. Una get retirement benefits or pension?
3. Any sick leave or maternity leave?
4. Working hours and day?
5. Accomodation go dey?
6. Extra work or extra hour allowances nko?
7. Una dey do refreshing courses?
Any firm I drop my CV, they marvel cos of my experience. I no even do job hunting again since I turned a lawyer.
nice
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Deandean: 1:06am On Sep 30, 2022
You may not have asked too many questions, but you probably said too much about teamwork, which makes you look like you know too much and are trying to school them instead of learn from them. Truth is that, expressed knowledge make people feel insecure. Never try to steal the shine from the boss or he’ll boss you recklessly.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by ogatboy(m): 8:58am On Sep 30, 2022
g4gerald:

Lol... Dat one na oversabi question o

No it is not. It is more of a standard question. There are other questions off the top of my head. Always view interview as a discussion rather than an interrogation
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by lavylilly: 9:28am On Oct 01, 2022
undecided
LadyExcellency:

I have been to several interviews for Jobs in multinational companies and I have worked for five of them, I am usually paid handsomely after the interview to take care of the day, transport, or hotel.

You ask for it if you see it's not coming as a courtesy. The companies have always obliged.

I don't know any company that can invite me for an interview without giving me a handsome handshake afterward. Anyways, applicants get levels. It depends on your level
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Rubyjade: 1:42pm On Oct 07, 2022
wink
Gentlesoul2021:

Let’s connect
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Rubyjade: 1:43pm On Oct 07, 2022
akpunda86:

Me I do,I got my job at Lafarge then ,as an Electrical Engineer Head,the Electrical dude that interviewed me goofed ,after interview ,I raised my hand and asked if I could ask a question,the White man there said go ahead,I requested for a sheet of paper,they gave me board ink,I lectured them for 30 mins on machine automation and even corrected the electrical head on his mistake politely without telling him,I laughed dropped the ink,white man asked his own question. I answered.I thanked them and left.
3 weeks later was the white man that called me I came HR all was scared cos me I be baba,negotiation time they want pay me peanut,I gave them my figure,HR said much,I politely thanked them left.next morning white man called me HR was there,they offered me wat I requested ,
I left them company work no be 4me.
In interviews as questions u are 100% sure.
Noted
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Rubyjade: 1:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
Staru1:

very very wrong.
everything is wrong with your question dear.
you are yet to be employed,yet to identify other employees, you have jumped to team work, no one will like to lose his/her work bcs u ...oversabi no good, overshow na overdose it is too bad.
Noted
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? by Rubyjade: 1:45pm On Oct 07, 2022
bayulll011:

Dont you dare loose confidence on that.
you were rejected not because of the questions you asked,but because your class of degree was not suitable for the job.

The MD knew you will soon leave the company because you will surely get a better offer as per your degree.

keep searching and you will soon nailed the job and you will come here and share the testimony.

keep improving youself.
Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Difficulty In Uploading Passport Photo On FRSC Portal / Society For Family Health (SFH) Job Recruitment (12 Positions) Kikiotolu / Lubeck Capital Limited Fresh Graduate Job Recruitment (4 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.