Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Not Able To Speak My Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Able To Speak My Language (2455 Views)

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / I Cant Speak My Language! (yoruba) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 4:25am On Aug 13, 2011
Hello. I'm a Nigerian born in America to Igbo parents. I'm having a problem with learning Igbo though. I know more than my cousins and other Igbo young people living around us in America, but whenever I go back to Nigeria it's embarrassing that I can't speak my own language, but my comprehension is good. I have tried asking my parents several times to help me learn but they end up just speaking like they would to each other and I keep telling them I cant learn like that, but they have to speak like their teaching me as a baby again. How can I learn to speak Igbo enough to not look like an idiot when I go to Nigeria again for Christmas. I would really love to speak to my non English speaking grandmother.

1 Like

Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ChinenyeN(m): 4:28am On Aug 13, 2011
It's always an Igbo making these topics.

1 Like

Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 5:09am On Aug 13, 2011
same problem here. My dad is AA and my mom is igbo and I haven't grasped her language or culture yet.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 3:26pm On Aug 13, 2011
Bump can't anyone help me please undecided
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by dempeople(m): 7:38am On Aug 14, 2011
If u no sabi speak Igbo then na einm be say u don enter water and, na your fault be that. Me I say, na your fault be that.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 14, 2011
Why not try to spend some quality time in Igboland. You may be running a program in the course of your stay.
That is the fastest way to learn it.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by odumchi: 10:38am On Aug 14, 2011
Go and live a year in Igboland and you will surely master Igbo.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by AndreUweh(m): 1:10pm On Aug 14, 2011
@The poster, I year NYSC programme in Igboland will be of good help.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 3:22pm On Aug 14, 2011
Yeah my parents aren't going to let me go over there for an entire year I'm only in high school and almost done so I can't switch schools now. Plus I bet the only people they'd let me stay with if that was even a possibility, live in Lagos and that wouldn't help,
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Onlytruth(m): 3:36am On Aug 15, 2011
@ebonye

I'm afraid your options are very limited. I have a cousin whose kids are 7 and 5 year olds and they both can't speak Igbo either. The problem is their mum who insist on speaking only English to them. Their dad is complacent. I foresee them in 10 years time with the same problem you have. Quite sad.

You can go to Youtube.com (there are tons of Igbo tutor videos there) and see what Igbo tutor programs they have there, or websites they can refer you to. These will prepare you enough for when next you visit Igboland. Good luck. wink

Try this Youtube.com video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1o-tVTnhs&feature=related
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 3:40am On Aug 15, 2011
Thanks @Onlytruth. I've been watching YouTube videos, reading websites and my mom is finally teaching me new words everyday. It'll be a journey. It's sad I know Spanish better than my own language. Sigh.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 3:42am On Aug 15, 2011
I have cousins born in America, never been to Nigeria who can speak perfect Yoruba. Not just Yoruba, but Oyo Yoruba, which is difficult to master.
They can even speak Yoruba better than me who was born and bred in Nigeria.

Once you pass the age of 10, mastering a language different from the one you're used to will be quite hard. Or you might even  never master it. Never  say never tho.

If you dont plan on living in Nigeria, forget it. 75% of younger generation Igbos in Nigeria cant speak their  language either. Its not just you.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 3:48am On Aug 15, 2011
You're right about the younger generation. Hardly any of my cousins and their children speak Igbo, the only ones who do lived with my grandmother. It's just frustrating knowing my parents are disappointed in something that isn't my fault.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Onlytruth(m): 3:49am On Aug 15, 2011
Posted by: ebonye

Thanks @Onlytruth. I've been watching YouTube videos, reading websites and my mom is finally teaching me new words everyday. It'll be a journey. It's sad I know Spanish better than my own language. Sigh.

Just keep on trying to master the language. Nothing is impossible for a determined mind. And never let anyone stop you or undermine you because IT IS YOUR LIFE.
In Nigeria it can mean the difference between life and death; opportunity or no-opportunity. Parents who don't teach their kids Igbo are highly irresponsible because Igbo is not like other tribes in Nigeria. Once you mention that you are Igbo, other Nigerians start looking at you to "perform the Igbo magic". But you can never perform that magic if you don't think in Igbo language. A language is the spirit driving a people. Stay steadfast in learning Igbo.
This advice is very important.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 3:50am On Aug 15, 2011
ebonye:

You're right about the younger generation. Hardly any of my cousins and their children speak Igbo, the only ones who do lived with my grandmother. It's just frustrating knowing my parents are disappointed in something that isn't my fault.

LOL did you try to learn too?
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 3:54am On Aug 15, 2011
I mean my parents only spoke to me in English for as long as I can remember. I've been trying.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Onlytruth(m): 3:55am On Aug 15, 2011
My little cousin (5 year old) insist on speaking Igbo to me, even though her mum is not interested.
She makes it a point to say "uncle nno" meaning "uncle welcome". Or kachifo -meaning "goodnight". I know she will soon master Igbo. Meanwhile, she speaks the most beautiful American English. Her American accent is flawless, far better than her brother's, who is not into Igbo with similar enthusiasm.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 4:00am On Aug 15, 2011
Aww that's good! smiley I mean I can have a small conversation. I'm not competely clueless. I understand like 60% of my parents conversations. It's really just the speaking part that is super difficult. I can never pronounce right, and when I do try all people do is laugh. Like for example "mirri" or water(if I spelled that right). It's like a cross between and l and r sound just like "iri" or the number 10
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 4:01am On Aug 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

My little cousin (5 year old) insist on speaking Igbo to me, even though her mum is not interested.
She makes it a point to say "uncle nno" meaning "uncle welcome". Or kachifo -meaning "goodnight". I know she will soon master Igbo. Meanwhile, she speaks the most beautiful American English. Her American accent is flawless, far better than her brother's, who is not into Igbo with similar enthusiasm.

What is flawless American English? Do you know that American English also have accents? That's why white Americans discrimnate against Africans and African American accents because we see no "flaw" with theirs.

For the uneducated Africans who think Americans dont have accent or that they're "flawless", watch the AMERICAN TONGUES documentary.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 4:02am On Aug 15, 2011
ebonye:

I mean my parents only spoke to me in English for as long as I can remember. I've been trying.

At what age did you know that there was another language in your family?
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Onlytruth(m): 4:07am On Aug 15, 2011
@Posted by: ebonye

I'll leave you with the following advice:

If you are Igbo, you cannot escape certain expectations and treatments from Igbo and other Nigerians. This is where parents who don't teach their kids Igbo make huge mistake. You will be tested and treated with certain expectation. If you can't speak the language, even a fellow Igbo would sell you and cheat you STEADILY. Other Nigerians might even kill you because you cannot think in ways that help Igbo survive and stay ahead of others; yet they still see you as Igbo. Double wammy! It would have been better if you weren't Igbo at all. In essence, parents who don't teach the language to their kids don't realize that they are indirectly setting up their kids for a disadvantaged life in Nigeria. Unless you don't plan to ever set foot, work or do any business in Nigeria.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Onlytruth(m): 4:10am On Aug 15, 2011
Posted by: Ileke-IdI
[b]What is flawless American English? [/b]Do you know that American English also have accents? That's why white Americans discrimnate against Africans and African American accents because we see no "flaw" with theirs.

For the uneducated Africans who think Americans dont have accent or that they're "flawless", watch the AMERICAN TONGUES documentary.

It cannot be described, but you know it when you hear it. It is the accents of folks like Barak Obama, and most American movies. I mean she is a girl, and she sounds like Halle Berry or Julia Roberts.  wink
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ChinenyeN(m): 4:28am On Aug 15, 2011
ebonye, a quick question (off topic, out of curiosity) which part of Igbo are you from? Do you know your clan/umunna?
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 4:30am On Aug 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: Ileke-IdI
It cannot be described, but you know it when you hear it. It is the accents of folks like Barak Obama, and most American movies. I mean she is a girl, and she sounds like Halle Berry or Julia Roberts.  wink

That's the standardized American English, which is mostly spoken by the South Easterners, still flawed and accented English to Americans themselves.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 4:43am On Aug 15, 2011
I don't think I was aware that my parents spoke Igbo until I was like five when I went to Nigeria for the first time. That's when everyone was speaking to me in Igbo and I was like "what are they saying" I think that's when my parents were trying to teach me more, so when I came back my parents said I spoke Igbo sometimes but I don't remember. But then we came back to America and I guess it stopped.

Well both of my parents are from delta state, Asaba to be exact, But my mom lived in lagos for awhile and my dad lived a lot of places, Port Harcourt, Lagos, Etc.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 4:50am On Aug 15, 2011
ebonye:

I don't think I was aware that my parents spoke Igbo until I was like five when I went to Nigeria for the first time. That's when everyone was speaking to me in Igbo and I was like "what are they saying" I think that's when my parents were trying to teach me more, so when I came back my parents said I spoke Igbo sometimes but I don't remember. But then we came back to America and I guess it stopped.

Well both of my parents are from delta state, Asaba to be exact,  But my mom lived in lagos for awhile and my dad lived a lot of places, Port Harcourt, Lagos,  Etc.

You were aware at 5 years old. After your first exposure to Igbo, your parents tried to teach you. Did you continue to try to learn or did you give up? How old are you now? By the age of 10, you must habve been quite aware that you could learn Igbo, but you chose to ignore that knowledge. I cant blame your parents here.

I was about 11 or 12 when I learned that I was a Yoruba from Ekiti state. I actually grew up thinking Nigeria=Yorubaland. After knowing that lil info , nobody could stop me from learning anything I could about my culture. Internet was there, books were there, and if I had questions, my parents were there.

My guess is that you lost interest and you stopped learning. Anyways, we're not here to set any blame on anybody. Stick on Nairaland, trust me, you'll learn a lot. What you wish to learn and what you would not have wanted to learn grin
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 4:56am On Aug 15, 2011
Well I'm 16. I don't really remember my childhood that well so I couldnt tell you what I was thinking. Discovering nairaland has really been a blessing. I hope to learn a lot. My parents do speak to me in Igbo more often, but I always reply in English. I think that might have been the case when I was little too. I'll try to improve speaking skills
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by odumchi: 4:59am On Aug 15, 2011
You know OP, I understand how you feel.

I myslef, left Igboland at the age of 5. At that Age, I spoke and heard Igbo fluently. However, as we travelled out, I was lucky enough that my parents continued to speak Igbo to me and at home we converse in Igbo, infact the only time English is spoken is at school. With thiis help, I was able to maintain my Igbo, expand it and learn a little about other languages including Ibibio. What my point is is that you must stay somewhere where you will always encounter Igbo. The best place is your village, or a city in the SE.
Anothe option is to find a friend in Nigeria who is willing to help you. You can send him/her credit and you guys can talk on the phone (in Igbo) daily so as to improve your vocabulary. Do this for a year or two and you will surely learn.

Trust me, most books, memorizatioon techniques and etc dont work because they dont tell you how to think in Igbo. Like i said earlier, your best chance of learning Igbo lies in Nigeria and not with your parents, since by what you said they arent giving you enough help and encouragement. Go and live with your non-englishpeaking grandmother for some time and it will force you to learn Igbo. Best wishes.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Nobody: 5:02am On Aug 15, 2011
ebonye:

Well I'm 16. I don't really remember my childhood that well so I couldnt tell you what I was thinking. Discovering nairaland has really been a blessing. I hope to learn a lot. My parents do speak to me in Igbo more often, but I always reply in English. I think that might have been the case when I was little too. I'll try to improve speaking skills

Try to reply back in your language. Just sit there and think about your response when they speak Igbo to you. The more you think about what to say, the more you retain the language in your memory and the more the short term memory turns into long term memory. You'll never be perfect in Igbo, but you'll be good enough. According to leading psychologists, after the age of 10, language build up becomes more rusty as you grow. So it's harder to learn a new language.

Like someone said, reading the language is not the same as mingling with people (apart from parents) who can speak the language. Language and logic intermingle, you'll need to think like an Igbo person to fully speak like Igbo. Find friends who speak Igbo.
Me and my Yoruba and Non-Yoruba Nigerian friends speak 98% Yoruba within ourselves, it helps to retain the language.
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ebonye: 5:05am On Aug 15, 2011
Learning new languages is really difficult now. Especially since I'm learning two (spanish and Igbo) but
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by ChinenyeN(m): 6:03am On Aug 15, 2011
Asaba. Alright. Thanks. Well, on the speaking Igbo bit, you're not entirely out of luck. I was 6 when I left Nigeria, and I haven't been back since then, not even to visit. Like you, my parents spoke mostly English to us, but I was familiar enough with the language that I could form standard sentences without a problem. I just didn't have enough mastery to engage in and maintain serious conversations. I always tended to default back to English, but that all changed for me senior year in high school. I was 17. I sort of made it imperative that my parents would primarily interact with us in the language.

It wasn't easy. For a while they kept up with the English mode, but anytime they wanted to say something to me in English I would tell them (in vernacular of course) that I don't understand English. Of course, they found it humorous at first, but before I knew it their mindset shifted and since then they've been primarily interacting with us in the language. I did the same thing to my aunts and uncles here in the states, and now all my family and kinsmen in the states interact with me primarily in the language. I'm 21 now, and I speak fluently (I can hold serious conversations without a problem). In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that I speak it just as well as I write it, if not slightly better. So, I can understand the position you're in, and speaking from experience, I say that it's not too late to learn and master it.

Just take the advice that Ileke Idi, Onlytruth and other have given to you and surround yourself with Igbo people who will interact with you in Igbo. Books, websites and dictionaries are helpful, but they shouldn't be the backbone of your language development. Interaction should be.

In the mean time though, here are some sites I suggest. They should prove helpful to you.

http://ilc.igbonet.com/
http://www.uwandiigbo.com/recordings/SurvivalIgbo/
http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Niger-Congo/Benue%20Congo%20West/Igboid/Igbo%20Dictionary%20Version%20May%202011.pdf
Re: Not Able To Speak My Language by Obiagu1(m): 7:24pm On Aug 15, 2011
@ ebonye,

I think a lot of people have given you useful advice. Like Chinenye said, make it mandatory to only interact with your parents in Igbo. You don't necessary have to live in Igboland to master it; your parents are just enough. Just make sure you or your parents don't default to English. It's a sacrifice you'll make and in 3 - 6 months, you'll be surprised how good you are. You already understand the language.

I have a cousin in Kaduna who understands fairly but couldn't speak it. When I lived with them temporary I made sure I interacted with him in Igbo and never responsed to him when he said something in English. Since both of us were always together, it forced him to speak Igbo as much as he could and I'll correct his pronunciation. Before I left, he was fairly good with Igbo.

So don't bother whether people laugh at how you pronunce certain words. Even myself, my friends laugh at me sometimes when I say something wrongly. They'll ask if I was speaking Igbo or Greek. So it's not just you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Huangluo The World's First Long-haired Village / Woman Wrapper .... / Some Endangered Yoruba Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.