Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Pictures From My Garden - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pictures From My Garden (35407 Views)

Different Banana Tree Varieties In My Garden / OMG! I Just Found These Python Eggs In My Garden Now / Pictures From Kogi Rice Processing Mill, Yagba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures From My Garden by Yankee101: 6:49am On Oct 24, 2022
ceeceeuwa:

There are different varieties. This particular one is called "Lagos or Nigerian spinach". What the Yorubas call "Efo Shoko".

Celosia
You're right, in naija they call it lagos spinach but it's not a variety of spinach at all
It's more of a garden flower abroad
Re: Pictures From My Garden by ceeceeuwa: 8:17am On Oct 24, 2022
ReneeNuttall:

OP hope you know that potato leaves can be used to make sauce for eating yam or plantain just like pumpkin leaves? Hope u know that u can also add it to Melon soup and okra as vegetables? So pls don't let your fresh potato leaves go to waste its nutritious and delicious.
So I learnt. But won't it affect the growth of the plant before harvest?
Re: Pictures From My Garden by yemzone(m): 8:31am On Oct 24, 2022
Serial48:
I grew canabis in my garden.. it's the Cana that made me grow other things like you have above.. but goats and snails won't let my garden be

Please how do I get the seed?
Re: Pictures From My Garden by colonelwealth(m): 10:21am On Oct 24, 2022
ceeceeuwa:
Early this year,my family and I decided to use the undeveloped part of our property for a family garden.

Even the children were not left out as they planted some maize. It has been an interesting experience so far as we are all enthusiastic about the whole process. We take turns to tend to the crops.

Some of the crops we planted include:
* Maize
* Potatoes
* Okro
* Water leave
* Bitter leave
* Spinach
* Jute leave (Ewedu)
* Beans
* Yam
* Fluted pumpkin
Other random crops we have in our property are plantains, bananas, pineapples,scent leave, lemon grass,pawpaw and mango.

I get manure from a nearby poultry to boost the crop growth.

I will be sharing pictures to encourage anyone who wants to take same bold step. We are beginning to enjoy some of the harvests.

This initiative has helped limit the purchase of some family needs.

Agriculture is life!

Beautiful.
Agriculture is the true way of life

1 Like

Re: Pictures From My Garden by nurd(m): 11:52am On Oct 24, 2022
lagonovo:
To the younger ones.

What you see here is the secret behind the contentment of the older Nigerian generations until a man called Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida became our first and only military 'president', though self anointed. He brought corruption into the mainstream and made it cool.

We've always had the corrupt in large numbers but they were never accepted in our conservative society. They were outcasts that you only associate with if you have sold your soul to the devil. With IBB, it became a matter of if you can't beat them you join them. That is the seed of the huge ocean of corruption that we swim in today. We all have the blame, just laying it out so we know the effect of individual actions.

Back in those days, a typical Nigerian home was comfortable and self-sustained even if they don't have a dime or any car. They all produce what they consume and purchase only the basic necessities. Our parents will rather die than go borrowing to eat. They can borrow to grow, to build, but not to eat.

Local manufacturers including government initiatives like Odua Investments were producing most of the stuff that we import today. Our refineries were functional. Affordable cars were being assembled in Nigeria. That was a major factor behind why foreign exchange was never an issue and our local currency was strong. We appreciated good foreign products but we never worshipped them. Our schools and universities were producing foodstuff in-house.

We may have our issues but our solutions lie within each of us and our daily economic decisions. Import, but never import more than you produce and start by avoiding importing what you can produce locally. Even if it's just cassava, maize, vegetables, plant something today. God already blessed our land with fertile soil. Now we have flooding, when the challenge is over I pray we appreciate what we have by making our land productive.

Thanks
Re: Pictures From My Garden by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 24, 2022
SPAMBOX7:
All that shit planted there when harvested won't last you a month so what's the gain in it lol
Don't the ignoramus, grin for money he can buy already harvested food without the stress of planting them.
Re: Pictures From My Garden by Bluette(f): 4:05pm On Oct 24, 2022
Nooziinoo:

For scent leaves, you have to uproot it from somewhere and transplant it in your compound. With time it will multiply due to pollination.

Alright Thanks. I will try it.
Re: Pictures From My Garden by lovediehatelive(m): 6:37am On Oct 28, 2022
ceeceeuwa:
Early this year,my family and I decided to use the undeveloped part of our property for a family garden.

Even the children were not left out as they planted some maize. It has been an interesting experience so far as we are all enthusiastic about the whole process. We take turns to tend to the crops.

Some of the crops we planted include:
* Maize
* Potatoes
* Okro
* Water leave
* Bitter leave
* Spinach
* Jute leave (Ewedu)
* Beans
* Yam
* Fluted pumpkin
Other random crops we have in our property are plantains, bananas, pineapples,scent leave, lemon grass,pawpaw and mango.

I get manure from a nearby poultry to boost the crop growth.

I will be sharing pictures to encourage anyone who wants to take same bold step. We are beginning to enjoy some of the harvests.

This initiative has helped limit the purchase of some family needs.

Agriculture is life!

No Curry
Re: Pictures From My Garden by ceeceeuwa: 11:44am On Oct 28, 2022
lovediehatelive:

No Curry
The curry stems I planted did not thrive. I
wish I can get the one I can transplant.
Re: Pictures From My Garden by worksmart(m): 4:11am On Oct 29, 2022
Grow groundnut .

You should heap the soil for root crops like yam potatoes and ground nut it is easier to harvest and probably also increases the yield.
Re: Pictures From My Garden by ceeceeuwa: 10:49pm On Jan 12, 2023
worksmart:
Grow groundnut .

You should heap the soil for root crops like yam potatoes and ground nut it is easier to harvest and probably also increases the yield.
I did plant groundnut,but the yield wasn't encouraging.
Re: Pictures From My Garden by worksmart(m): 12:21pm On Jan 13, 2023
It recommended that it is planted in sandy soil. But when I planted ground nuts in my compound only about 10% of groundnuts actually sprouted and grew. So maybe there is a special technique for planting groundnuts.
ceeceeuwa:

I did plant groundnut,but the yield wasn't encouraging.
Re: Pictures From My Garden by lovediehatelive(m): 8:18am On Mar 08, 2023
Please my curry (lemon basil) has a broken stem.

Like it is bent and doesn't stand straight again.

Should I leave it like that or cut it from the broken part and put it back in the soil

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Updated Prices Of Grains And Vegetables From Madallah Market In Niger State / Processing Pigs- Pictures From My Pork Roast/BBQ / Local Rice And Paddy Rice From The Main Source

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.