Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria (3637 Views)

Visit Or Live In Europe,asia,canada And Us / Need A Visa For Studies, Business, Visit Or Settlement? Or Have You Made An : / Places You'll Like To Visit Or Have Visited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 3:40pm On Aug 14, 2011
I am a United States Citizen looking to move to Nigeria. I have never worked outside of the United States, but I would like to be employed there. Looking for advice from someone who has already walked this road. Where do I begin? I am employed full time working 40 hours per week, as well as a student of Psychology. Looking to be adventorous and fulfilled.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by Kslib(m): 4:10pm On Aug 14, 2011
Are u a Nigerian?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2011
No I am not Nigerian. Made in the USA.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by oncolor: 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2011
luvtbaby:

No I am not Nigerian. Made in the USA.

Why Nigeria? is there any particular reason why you chose Nigeria?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2011
@ oncolor I didn't really choose Nigeria. It chose me.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 6:00pm On Aug 14, 2011
Is there something wrong with me moving to Nigeria?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by Lax75(m): 6:33pm On Aug 14, 2011
Have you ever heard of a place in Nigeria called Ojuelegba? Its a very attractive place for US Citizens. I believe it is calling you.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 6:35pm On Aug 14, 2011
@Lax75 tell me about it. What is it?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by Lax75(m): 7:03pm On Aug 14, 2011
It is the US citzen's paradise in Nigeria. It is so popular that all you have to do is get to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport and say "Ojuelegba Straight!" and you will get to this highly sought after place. In fact, there is even a dance called the "Ojuelegba Straight"
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 7:38pm On Aug 14, 2011
I can't there until I find work especially if I am planning an extended stay. Bottom line is I need a change of scenary. I am looking to Africa to do something I have never done before.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 14, 2011
STAY BACK WERE YOU ARE! UNLESS OF COURSE IF YOU WISH TO VISIT HELL! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

WE HERE IN NIGERIA HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED TO BE VERY COMFORTABLE IN HELL!
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 8:44pm On Aug 14, 2011
@ luvtbaby >>> I'd be interested to know your sex and you race (Caucasian, Hispanic or African American) then i would be able to craft a proper comment on what you've said
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 8:46pm On Aug 14, 2011
I'm female and not Caucasian. What does race have to do with anything?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by omega25red(m): 10:04pm On Aug 14, 2011
poster

look more towards Abuja the capital state. It is said to be more organized. As far as careers are concerned, what do you have experirence in? if you mentioned that maybe the folks here would give you a better idea as to how available jobs are for that career. also find out how to work legally in the country

Money wise, you should seriously investigate proper accomodations and DONT trust anyone with your money no matter how nice a person is to you. I think you will do fine visiting and developing good contacts before you decide to move out there.

oh yea no matter waht you do, make sure you have money stashed permanently for a return ticket because you never know.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 11:21pm On Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice @omega25red. I have experience in public service work and I have a lot of things I want to do. I would love to work for the embassy. Above all else, aside from helping others, my first love is music. It flows through my veins.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by omega25red(m): 2:50pm On Aug 15, 2011
luvtbaby:

Thanks for the advice @omega25red. I have experience in public service work and I have a lot of things I want to do. I would love to work for the embassy. Above all else, aside from helping others, my first love is music. It flows through my veins.
if you want to work for the embassy i think you would have to get that job in the u.s first with the state department and hope you are stationed in Nigeria
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by londoner: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2011
@OP, please ignore those who are describing Nigeria as hell. Everything depends on where in Nigeria you are and how much money you have.

I would suggest,

Abuja, but wait until its given the all clear from the recent Boko Horam activity. There are plenty of Americans/Indians/Eastern Europeans and Chinese there and they seem happy and feel relatively safe.

If you don't mind not being in the middle of all the action try Calabar etc. If you MUST be in the middle of the action, then try Lagos, but unless you know people there it can be quite unsafe, especially for a woman imo.

I am biased though, I love Abuja and unlike you I lack the boldness to just move there.

Abuja,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nOfda7H6to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4RSC9uYcy4&feature=related

Calabar,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2KjYQz1EfA

During the month long festival period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtFvaVInbGw

Lagos, (one of my fav Ghana soundtracks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyOywR5VMpE&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58dFgTOiSow&feature=related

@OP, mind you I have not posted the worst parts/aspects of those cities.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by JeSoul(f): 8:56pm On Aug 15, 2011
luvtbaby:

I am a United States Citizen looking to move to Nigeria. I have never worked outside of the United States, but I would like to be employed there. Looking for advice from someone who has already walked this road. Where do I begin? I am employed full time working 40 hours per week, as well as a student of Psychology. Looking to be adventorous and fulfilled.
I must commend your adventurous spirit. Not many people can consider what you're considering.

Some people like Omega have given you some very good advice. You should think and consider very carefully the advs and disadvs. Nigeria is not like America - and I'm not just talking in terms of development (because as someone said if you have enough money you can live very well in Nigeria). Issues like the culture, the food, the people, the weather, the politics, the entire system of doing business, your health - if you body adapts well (very important), the overall way of life - completely different from America. So you (& your body and mind) should be ready for a culture shock.

Do some research (Nairaland is an excellent resource) and see if you can find a job in your field that can enable you to live in a good, safe neighborhood and maintain the kind of lifestyle you'd like. Jobs are not easy to get in Naija and you don't want to end up in a bind. Watch youtubes videos, that should give a nice visual idea but keep in mind those can be a bit misleading as well.

I'd advice you to visit Nigeria, and look before you leap. Spend more than a week or two and travel to different parts if possible and see if its somewhere you could live. South africa is closer in standards to America than Nigeria so perhaps that may provide a 'softer landing' for you than a direct leap into the heart of Africa. All in all, I wish you well! smiley
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by akinbimatt: 1:25am On Aug 16, 2011
@the poster,I believe you have made a great decision for choosing nigeria, home sweat home!a bit explaination of what nigeria is made of,there is west-north-east-and south, hadn't been you made these neccessary decision now,if it was last few month during election,boko haram saga,the lagos flood,kidnapping,I wound have advice u to come immediately and settled in west,lagos nigeria where flood will take you to north(coz according to an eye witness,a married women was caught on another mans bed in the third  street.away from her home of which she claims it was the lagos flood that took her their),"lol, when the flood drop u in north,if boko haram doesn't need,they will make you witness few things in north especially if u had moved in during the police headquarter bombing,u can decide to run to south for your life after the north saga,there,u will be kidnapped forever,east is also the best place where u can be forgotten in matter of time.!, beta do your research right before u misschoose a wrong country.anyway I'm from lagos where we ball or we fight"n another mans bed in the third  street.away from her home of which she claims it was the lagos flood that took her their),"lol, when the flood drop u in north,if boko haram doesn't need u,they will make you witness few things in north especially if u had moved in during the police headquarter bombing,u can decide to run to south for your life after the north saga,there,u will be kidnapped forever,east is also the best place where u can be forgotten in matter of time.!, beta do your research right before u choose a wrong country.anyway I'm from lagos where we ball or we fight"
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 4:01pm On Aug 18, 2011
@akinbimatt I want to personally thank you for your charismatic yet valuable info about Nigeria. I am a young woman who has gone through a lot of highs and lows and one thing is for certain, danger is all around us. No I haven't experience the unrest here in America like some others have been exposed to in their everyday life. Some people have gotten kidnapped, killed, etc. in some of the smallest, quietest neighborhoods here in America. Only through prayer can we live and maintain our life and keep our sanity. I understand everything is different there, but why be confined to the states when the world belongs to God? You tell me. I can be fearless and careful at the same time. I am African-American and never would have thought in a million years that I would interested in moving somewhere outside of the walls of comfortability. Thanks again.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by akinbimatt: 4:15pm On Aug 18, 2011
@luvtbaby, thanks for takin time to goin tru my reply,do u really want to come to nigeria?do u intend stayin long or temporarily?any I got brodas in state(indianipolis,texas)inbox me,akinbimattew@yahoo.com)
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 4:25pm On Aug 18, 2011
Sure I do. Otherwise I wouldn't post anything here. I gotta find a source of income before the big move.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by akinbimatt: 4:27pm On Aug 18, 2011
@luvtbaby,income?how? Do u intend to come and work here? Where r u from ?were u born in states?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 5:09pm On Aug 18, 2011
I was born in the states. Yes income! I am working now in the states, but I need a line of income before I make a move there. This is the purpose of this posting, to generate not only ideas for income, but to network and get some possible leads.
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by GoldCircle: 5:39pm On Aug 18, 2011
this should make an interesting thread. . . grin

Nice to see how my people respond here. moderator sir, front page please!
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 5:46pm On Aug 18, 2011
And that's suppose to mean what?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by GoldCircle: 9:30pm On Aug 18, 2011
it means you'll get more advice from fellow NLanders and please be prepared to answer all their questions. . .
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 9:39pm On Aug 18, 2011
@GoldCircle I'm on ready.
Bring it on!!!
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by oncolor: 9:52pm On Aug 18, 2011
@luvtbaby: Do you have a Nigerian boyfriend/husband?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by luvtbaby(f): 10:03pm On Aug 18, 2011
Really big misconception here. Why would you think that?
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by oncolor: 10:26pm On Aug 18, 2011
luvtbaby:

@ oncolor I didn't really choose Nigeria. It chose me.

This comment.

I thought you probably had a job offer, but since you said you are still deciding on a job, that was the next logical conclusion I could come to.

P.S: Unless of course you are Nigerian_American
Re: Us Citizen Wanting To Visit Or Possibly Move To Nigeria by oncolor: 10:56pm On Aug 18, 2011
"I have this guy I have known for several years, although I was very optimistic at first because of the things the media feads us about Nigeria, I would love to spend my life with him. I need you alls take on my decision. I am a "nice" American sweetheart who has traveled outside of this country, but never to Africa. Put me where you are. Where you live. Put me in your culture. I know this man and everything that he is about-at least based on what he has told me, but I need raw and uncut information on Nigerian men, Lagos area in particular. I would love responses from both men and women. Help me out."

Just saw your above post. I now get it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aaaaaaa / How Can I Migrate To UK Apart From Student Visa With 3M Budget / Where Is Colombia Embassy In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.