Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,757 members, 7,820,629 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) (66665 Views)

Mad Woman Gives Birth In Ghana Again. Photos / Man Gives Birth To Baby Girl: His Wife Is The Father (Argentina) / Woman Delivers ‘Stone Baby’ After 60 Year Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 15, 2011
It can also be too much igbo since ekiti is a known state for india hemp ? grin
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by razznaija(f): 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2011
some people can be so ignorant, its obvious that its a birth defect.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 15, 2011
razznaija:

some people can be so ignorant, its obvious that its a birth defect.

So birth defect doesn't have a cause abi ? Olodo
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 15, 2011
The baby looks like a giant frog. maybe the woman umnnnnn a frog Just kidding, please put a discretion warning on this forum as it contains images that might be disturbing to some!
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by MMM2(m): 7:35pm On Aug 15, 2011
GOD have mercy on us.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 15, 2011
na wa 000
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by oneluvb55(f): 8:02pm On Aug 15, 2011
GOD FORBID! GOD PLS MAKE I NO SEE DIS TYPE
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by goggs(m): 8:38pm On Aug 15, 2011
Shocked that the Commissioner couldn't tell the signs of Anencephaly and called the baby a "creature"! i thought that he was in a better position to enlighten the public instead of contributing to the sense of mystery surrounding the child.

Only God knows the kind of accusations the mother will face; witchcraft, infidelity, badluck, curse, all sorts of broken taboo!

Anencephaly is a cephalic disorder that results from a neural tube defect that occurs when the cephalic (head) end of the neural tube fails to close, usually between the 23rd and 26th day of pregnancy, resulting in the absence of a major portion of the brain, skull, and scalp.[1] Children with this disorder are born without a forebrain, the largest part of the brain consisting mainly of the cerebral hemispheres (which include the neocortex, which is responsible for higher-level cognition, i.e., thinking). The remaining brain tissue is often exposed—not covered by bone or skin.[2] Most babies with this genetic disorder do not survive birth.

Signs and symptoms
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) describes the presentation of this condition as follows: "A baby born with anencephaly is usually blind, deaf, unconscious, and unable to feel pain. Although some individuals with anencephaly may be born with a main brain stem, the lack of a functioning cerebrum permanently rules out the possibility of ever gaining consciousness. Reflex actions such as breathing and responses to sound or touch occur."[2]
[edit]Causes
The cause of anencephaly is disputed. Generally, neural tube defects do not follow direct patterns of heredity, though there is some indirect evidence of inheritance,[3] and recent animal models indicate a possible association with deficiencies of the transcription factor TEAD2.[4] Studies show that a woman who has had one child with a neural tube defect such as anencephaly has about a 3% risk of having another child with a neural tube defect.[citation needed]
It is known that women taking certain medications for epilepsy and women with insulin-dependent diabetes have a higher risk of having a child with a neural tube defect.[citation needed] Genetic counseling is usually offered to women at a higher risk of having a child with a neural tube defect to discuss available testing.
Recent studies have shown that the addition of folic acid to the diet of women of child-bearing age may significantly reduce, although not eliminate, the incidence of neural tube defects. Therefore, it is recommended that all women of child-bearing age consume 0.4 mg of folic acid daily,[2] especially those attempting to conceive or who may possibly conceive, as this can reduce the risk to 0.03%.[citation needed] It is not advisable to wait until pregnancy has begun, since by the time a woman knows she is pregnant, the critical time for the formation of a neural tube defect has usually already passed. A physician may prescribe even higher dosages of folic acid(4 mg/day) for women who have had a previous pregnancy with a neural tube defect.[original research?]
Anencephaly and other physical and mental deformities have also been blamed on a high exposure to such toxins as lead, chromium, mercury, and nickel.[5]
[edit]Relation to genetic ciliopathy
Until recently, medical literature did not indicate a connection among many genetic disorders, both genetic syndromes and genetic diseases, that are now being found to be related. As a result of new genetic research, some of these are, in fact, highly related in their root cause despite the widely varying set of medical symptoms that are clinically visible in the disorders. Anencephaly is one such disease, part of an emerging class of diseases called ciliopathies. The underlying cause may be a dysfunctional molecular mechanism in the primary cilia structures of the cell, organelles which are present in many cellular types throughout the human body. The cilia defects adversely affect "numerous critical developmental signaling pathways" essential to cellular development and thus offer a plausible hypothesis for the often multi-symptom nature of a large set of syndromes and diseases. Known ciliopathies include primary ciliary dyskinesia, Bardet-Biedl syndrome, polycystic kidney andliver disease, nephronophthisis, Alstrom syndrome, Meckel-Gruber syndrome, and some forms of retinal degeneration.[6]
[edit]Diagnosis
Anencephaly can often be diagnosed before birth through an ultrasound examination. The maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein (AFP screening)[7] and detailed fetal ultrasound[8] can be useful for screening for neural tube defects such as spina bifida or anencephaly.
[edit]Prognosis

There is no cure or standard treatment for anencephaly and the prognosis for patients is death. Most anencephalic fetuses do not survive birth, accounting for 55% of non-aborted cases. If the infant is not stillborn, then he or she will usually die within a few hours or days after birth from cardiorespiratory arrest.
In almost all cases, anencephalic infants are not aggressively resuscitated because there is no chance of the infant ever achieving a conscious existence. Instead, the usual clinical practice is to offer hydration, nutrition, and comfort measures and to "let nature take its course". Artificial ventilation, surgery (to fix any co-existing congenital defects), and drug therapy (such as antibiotics) are usually regarded as futile efforts. Clinicians and medical ethicists may view the provision of nutrition and hydration as medically futile.
[edit]Epidemiology
In the United States, approximately 1 out of 150,000 to 200,000 babies is born with anencephaly each year. Research has suggested that, overall, female babies are more likely to be affected by the disorder.[9]
[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly

Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by hbrednic: 8:55pm On Aug 15, 2011
its obvious the woman wasnt praying during pregnancy.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by tpia5: 8:58pm On Aug 15, 2011
more like she wasnt taking folic acid and like the commissioner said, hope she didnt ingest some strange concoction in the name of herbs.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by kosoro: 9:07pm On Aug 15, 2011
I'm still surprised a health commissioner didn't know this - saying "strange baby" like a kindergarten. Who knows how many more health commissioners in the country are like this one.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Plumkin(f): 9:14pm On Aug 15, 2011
engineerd:

The baby looks like a giant frog. maybe the woman umnnnnn a frog Just kidding, please put a discretion warning on this forum as it contains images that might be disturbing to some!
[/quote

Concurring with you view on putting a discretion warning up.

For me, the pictures are gory and disturbing. At least, consider the expectant mothers on the forum and take down the pictures. I don't think this is a good thing for them to see. Even if they pray round the clock. Thank you!!!
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by tpia5: 9:16pm On Aug 15, 2011
kosoro:

I'm still surprised a health commissioner didn't know this - saying "strange baby" like a kindergarten. Who knows how many more health commissioners in the country are like this one.

^^sometimes people have to look things up especially during strange rare occurences like this one.

doesnt mean the health commissioner doesnt know his stuff.

Sicherheit:

If anyone doubts God exists, all they have to do is count the number of women who give birth in Nigeria Successfully.  

usually, a healthy diet will supply all the nutrients a pregnant woman needs. The nigerian diet is very good in this regard, as long as the woman has enough to eat. We consume a lot of green leafy vegetables, liver and beans- all major sources of folates [for folic acid]. However, prenatal care will also provide nutritional supplements just to make sure all bases are covered.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by tpia5: 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2011
another spammer on the loose.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Plumkin(f): 9:25pm On Aug 15, 2011
Plumkin:

Not this way. This picture unaccompanied by the advice of a medical professional teaches no lesson!
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by soreola(f): 9:47pm On Aug 15, 2011
Like some people have said, this defect is well-known and a simple wikipedia or even google search will lead you to NEURAL TUBE DEFECT.This specific disorder is known as Anencephaly Disorder.

Nigerian doctors need to use this as yet another medical lesson. They shouldn't look at it as something strange and ignore it.

Wikipedia even gives some ideas of preventative measures that can be taken before a woman conceives:

i.e. 0.4mg/day of folic acid or
the doctor may recommend 4mg/day for a woman who has given birth to a child with neural tube defect in the past.

I mean they even provided an image of what to look for in an ultrasound.

We really need to move forward and look for opportunities to learn and gain knowledge.

I mean even the health commissioner should be curious about it and look it up. Im sure he/she has access to the internet.

Sincerely, although i have heard of spina bifida (a form of neural tube defect) i have not heard of Anencephaly Disorders till today i.e. i learnt something new today and i think being a doctor means a lifetime of learning about the human body.

Infact, every human should have a lifetime filled with learning opportunities, make use of them!
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2011
Anencephaly, caused by poor intake of folic acid before and early in pregnancy.
it shud have been detected with ultrasound and termination offered as a choice early in pregnancy.
i saw one during my internship

Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 15, 2011
gmyguy@yahoo.com
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by lepasharon(f): 10:26pm On Aug 15, 2011
thats the thing i dislike about nigeria!! angry
how can you let a womans pregnancy get up to 13 months!! without gettin her an inducement!

MY GOSH!
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by strangest(m): 10:27pm On Aug 15, 2011
Seriously a lot of people on nairaland were born without brains, you think folic acid is also the cause
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Galaxy7: 11:15pm On Aug 15, 2011
JEHOVAH OF CHERUBIM SERAPHIM'S!!! What was that for Christ sake
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Galaxy7: 11:20pm On Aug 15, 2011
This must be as result of hard drug intake
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by proffmanue(m): 11:26pm On Aug 15, 2011
some pple are educated Illiterate. This is just a birth defect as some posters have rightly said.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by tpia5: 11:36pm On Aug 15, 2011
lepasharon:

how can you let a womans pregnancy get up to 13 months!! without gettin her an inducement!

MY GOSH!

good question.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by hannydarl(f): 12:51am On Aug 16, 2011
The health commissioner should be sacked. He cheated his was through school. What a way to inform the public about the birth of a naturally deformed baby as if the mama commit abomination. If only he read those text books in school or is smart enough to enlighten himself some more in his field after school, he would have known what caused the baby to be born looking like that and seize the opportunity to advise the public on how to avoid such happening to their children in future if it can be prevented.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by DisGuy: 1:40am On Aug 16, 2011
hannydarl:

The health commissioner should be sacked. He cheated his was through school. [b]What a way to inform the public about the birth of a naturally [/b]deformed baby as if the mama commit abomination. If only he read those text books in school or is smart enough to enlighten himself some more in his field after school, he would have known what caused the baby to be born looking like that and seize the opportunity to advise the public on how to avoid such happening to their children in future if it can be prevented.

Totally agree with you!!

he didnt even talk about offering the woman counselling, he is blabbing on about 'to avoid embarrassment'
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by GbagaunCop: 8:52am On Aug 16, 2011
*Blood of Jesus*
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by PA1982(f): 9:04am On Aug 16, 2011
blank wrote

Quote from: PA1982 on Yesterday at 07:44:05 AM
Yes, some babies are born without brains. They don't survive birth.

However.
A 13 month pregnancy?
Get serious.
This is clearly a dirtied up child's doll.
Fraud, in it's purest form.

Just a little research would have cleared up your lack of knowledge.
One of the symptoms of Anencephaly is a longer term pregnancy.

This Health commisioner na real olodo. How u no go know wetin even medical students know?

Well, blank, that was an interesting reply.
Show me one confirmed case of a 13 month pregnancy.
One.

Confirmed means with the medical reports, not newpaper report, of course.
Until you can, I'll continue to call this report a heartless fraud.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by hannydarl(f): 9:19am On Aug 16, 2011
lepasharon:

thats the thing i dislike about nigeria!! angry

MY GOSH!

cos. Pastor said its her enemy that tied the baby in the spirit with banana skin and that she should trust God alone and not seek medical help not to take doctors advice and go for c section (thats a big no no in nigeria if you as a doctor sugest it eh you go hear holly ghost fire, back to sender eiii call daddy general overseer)for me oh let the prayer worriors start praying I shall deliver like hebrew wome. I no know who tell them say hebrew women no get pregnancy complication in those days.) Pastor will now ask her to wait untill kingdom come that labour will start and she will delivet twins.

I have seen with my own eyes this scene play itself out twice in owerri and both women lost their babies cos pastor prophesied rubish to them not to go to the hospital but wait on God.
Re: Woman Gives Birth To Strange-Looking Baby After 13 Months (Pics) by Nymphnode(m): 9:51am On Aug 16, 2011
hbrednic:

its obvious the woman wasnt praying during pregnancy.
Lets imagine the baby had brain and could have survived through some medical magic. Would you advice the parent to go ahead and nurture? And pls dont blame the commissioner, he was trained to handled medical emergency and not speech giving. Maybe he even address the press in his native tongue and they direct-translate. But damn the baby has teeth already Z-ugly

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Ruin Your Liver With Harmful Habits / Pretty Nigerian Slayqueen Dies After An Unsuccessful Liposuction Operation (vid) / Lady Who Survived Breast Cancer Shares Shirtless Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.