Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,216 members, 7,811,594 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless (1360 Views)

Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? / How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? / Jobless Lady Returns Money A Company Mistakenly Paid Into Her Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 3:35pm On Sep 30, 2022
So I recently rounded up my service. Even before the end of my service, I've been applying for tech jobs (Frontend development trainee position), but most didn't get back to me. I even tailored my CV to the jobs but only got one or two interviews and those ones never really came through.

Eventually, I extended my search to include any graduate trainee position irrespective of specialization. I started getting some interview invites. And eventually got two jobs, one in sales, the other in account management.

I've been doing the account management part and I know this is not a career I want to maintain for the long term as it's not where my specialization lie. Besides, sometimes I won't be able to go to in-person interviews because of the nature of my work.

What do I do, should I dump these jobs and keep applying for IT Graduate trainee roles?

I really want a career in IT.

PS: I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, ReactJs (still learning), and a bit of PHP for the backend. I'm also good at developing and maintaining WordPress sites. I'm ready to put in the work, do the sleepless nights, everything required as I'm no LAZY YOUTH. Please help a brother out.

1 Like

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by coltarliss: 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2022
[img][/img]
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:33pm On Sep 30, 2022
Do you already have work experience as a frontend developer? If you don't and you are looking for your first job what's your portfolio looking like?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by SimplePlan34: 6:35pm On Sep 30, 2022
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 6:49pm On Sep 30, 2022
SimplePlan34:
This is what I keep saying that not everyone would make it in this IT for every one successful person there are over 100 struggling even home and abroad. Guy if u are not young if Ur bsc is not related to IT. If u don't have connections it's hard. What I will advise u start making connections. Go for any it related serminars, hacktons Amazon just did one on recently on their AWS. I think there is another hackton this weekend. Network get ppl number then tell them u are going to work for free just try get in the system of a good IT Company then u can repourse Ur CV and use it has experience. I pray u have someone who can finance u. All the best.

The sales job I got is in an IT company. But the job role is in sales. I'm hoping to be able to switch careers once I get there, but the interviewers told me that wouldn't be exactly possible.

Please is the seminar online or offline? You're right, I need to start networking. But I'm a major loner so that has always been an issue for me.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 6:52pm On Sep 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Do you already have work experience as a frontend developer? If you don't and you are looking for your first job what's your portfolio looking like?

By work experience, I can say that I've done a few frontend designs, but I haven't saved them anywhere online to form a portfolio. I recently heard of Git, GitHub, and Netlify and I'm learning it. I learned WordPress on a single 4 hours course on Sunday and have volunteered where I work to manage some of the pages of our clients. I also help create new work emails for the CNET server. I know React is very important for me and I'm currently learning it. I just need a chance and an enabling environment.

1 Like

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 6:54pm On Sep 30, 2022
SimplePlan34:
This is what I keep saying that not everyone would make it in this IT for every one successful person there are over 100 struggling even home and abroad. Guy if u are not young if Ur bsc is not related to IT. If u don't have connections it's hard. What I will advise u start making connections. Go for any it related serminars, hacktons Amazon just did one on recently on their AWS. I think there is another hackton this weekend. Network get ppl number then tell them u are going to work for free just try get in the system of a good IT Company then u can repourse Ur CV and use it has experience. I pray u have someone who can finance u. All the best.

Yeah, IT is not as easy as they say. I studied Computer Engineering in the university and I have been amongst other things, a graphic designer, video editor. I've been trying to get fully into tech since 2020 during the pandemic but it hasn't been easy.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:58pm On Sep 30, 2022
Bobbiee:

By work experience, I can say that I've done a few frontend designs, but I haven't saved them anywhere online to form a portfolio. I recently heard of Git, GitHub, and Netlify and I'm learning it. I learned WordPress on a single 4 hours course on Sunday and have volunteered where I work to manage some of the pages of our clients. I also help create new work emails for the CNET server. I know React is very important for me and I'm currently learning it. I just need a chance and an enabling environment.

It's really competitive to get an internship or an entry level experience except you are a woman. So you are looking for your first role. Your projects need to be very very good at least. Since you have no proof of work at this stage it's your portfolio that will give you interview so spend a lot of time to create a good one. Portfolio and two quality projects.

Also be attentive join dev groups. Slack WhatsApp groups and all. Follow the popular devs on Twitter. There's a lot of new opportunities now for African graduates but if you aren't attentive you will miss them. Forget the sales job and focus on getting a good portfolio.

2 Likes

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:02pm On Sep 30, 2022
Bobbiee:

Yeah, IT is not as easy as they say. I studied Computer Engineering in the university and I have been amongst other things, a graphic designer, video editor. I've been trying to get fully into tech since 2020 during the pandemic but it hasn't been easy.

Damn you studied computer engineering where and since 2020 na wa o. Which university was that what courses did you do? Unilag and covenant computer science and computer engineering graduates are getting mouth watering offers from the best companies in the globe. Someone I know that is still an undergraduate student at oau is presently doing an internship at cruise in San Francisco this was after his an internship at jp Morgan in London and you are just learning about git and netlify despite studying computer engineering. What did you do in school?

1 Like

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 7:58pm On Sep 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Damn you studied computer engineering where and since 2020 na wa o. Which university was that what courses did you do? Unilag and covenant computer science and computer engineering graduates are getting mouth watering offers from the best companies in the globe. Someone I know that is still an undergraduate student at oau is presently doing an internship at cruise in San Francisco this was after his an internship at jp Morgan in London and you are just learning about git and netlify despite studying computer engineering. What did you do in school?

We weren't taught the real practical stuff. The fact is, in school, I didn't know which area to specialize in. Due to my reclusive nature, I didn't have anyone to advice me. I hardly knew anyone in tech and it was basically me just doing everything on my own. Back then, I wanted to specialize in Networking but it didn't work out. I started teaching myself HTML and CSS during the pandemic but it isn't easy if you're doing it alone and no one supports you or is there to motivate you. Besides, I had issues with good laptops then and kept having to change laptops because they kept crashing.

I know that if I were given a chance I would learn really fast. I'm saying this because there's a guy I know that basically had almost zero graphic design skills and got a job in a big company, and now he's not just great in graphic design, he's also doing UI/UX and motion graphics. I know the basics of frontend, what I just need is a chance to hewn my talent. I could even do free internship if that's what it'll take.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2022
Bobbiee:

We weren't taught the real practical stuff. The fact is, in school, I didn't know which area to specialize in. Due to my reclusive nature, I didn't have anyone to advice me. I hardly knew anyone in tech and it was basically me just doing everything on my own. Back then, I wanted to specialize in Networking but it didn't work out. I started teaching myself HTML and CSS during the pandemic but it isn't easy if you're doing it alone and no one supports you or is there to motivate you. Besides, I had issues with good laptops then and kept having to change laptops because they kept crashing.

it's not too late to focus on the frontend aspect and try to have very good projects before year-end. 2020 graduates are still seen as fresh graduates so it's not too late just be very serious.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by doggedfighter(f): 8:55pm On Sep 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

It's really competitive to get an internship or an entry level experience except you are a woman. So you are looking for your first role. Your projects need to be very very good at least. Since you have no proof of work at this stage it's your portfolio that will give you interview so spend a lot of time to create a good one. Portfolio and two quality projects.

Also be attentive join dev groups. Slack WhatsApp groups and all. Follow the popular devs on Twitter. There's a lot of new opportunities now for African graduates but if you aren't attentive you will miss them. Forget the sales job and focus on getting a good portfolio.

Cc: Bobbie

This advice here's worth gold.

Follow it to the later.

Don't let immediate gratification distract you.

You are on course. cheesy
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Hannania(m): 12:54am On Oct 01, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Initially I thought that Ola of a guy internship at cruise was gonna be remote. Omo, Nigerians keep raising the bar.

The good thing is, for persons seeking global opportunities, we have so much leverage due to diversity and inclusion. And Just a fraction of Nigerians are willing to go that route.

This is the best time to be a tech bro

1 Like

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:33am On Oct 01, 2022
Hannania:
Initially I thought that Ola of a guy internship at cruise was gonna be remote. Omo, Nigerians keep raising the bar.

The good thing is, for persons seeking global opportunities, we have so much leverage due to diversity and inclusion. And Just a fraction of Nigerians are willing to go that route.

This is the best time to be a tech bro

That's why I tell people take advantage of this opportunities now. They won't be here forever. In the Microsoft slack group people were getting H1B visas sponsored from Nigeria. Fresh graduates o. Fresh graduates I used to think getting a work visa to the usa was completely impossible but meeting people changed my mind completely.

2 Likes

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Hannania(m): 9:57am On Oct 01, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

That's why I tell people take advantage of this opportunities now. They won't be here forever. In the Microsoft slack group people were getting H1B visas sponsored by Nigeria. Fresh graduates o. Fresh graduates, I used to think getting a work visa to the USA was completely impossible but meeting people changed my mind completely.
Dublin and Vancouver are the hottest cities also.
I just saw that Australia has a new visa that even new grad engineers can apply for. I've had that country in mind

Taking these opportunities now is the set go.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:03am On Oct 01, 2022
Hannania:
Dublin and Vancouver are the hottest cities also.
I just saw that Australia has a new visa that even new grad engineers can apply for. I've had that country in mind

Taking these opportunities now is the set go.

That reminds me an australian company called airwallex is sponsoring this week's leetcode contest the top 300 applicants are immediately called for interview. The top 5 are moved to behavioral round immediately if they want to work for them. The job comes with visa sponsorship to Australia.

2 Likes

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Hannania(m): 3:32am On Oct 02, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

That reminds me an Australian company called airwallex is sponsoring this week's leetcode contest the top 300 applicants are immediately called for an interview. The top 5 are moved to the behavioral round immediately if they want to work for them. The job comes with visa sponsorship to Australia.
Such opportunities are open to the prepared. When successful, people will now tag it as Luck. That's why I always adhere to the adage "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity ".

Thanks for the info.

3 Likes

Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 6:50am On Oct 03, 2022
aliyuthayo:

I don't mean to be harsh! If you're jobless with these mentioned skills, it means you're still a learner. As a beginner, you're not supposed to be looking for job, rather look for a freelance work to up your skills and gather more experience as a Web Developer.

How do I get freelance work?
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by lovemaths(f): 10:21am On Oct 03, 2022
I'm a graduate of computer science. Just contact me on Whatsapp. I will be of help to you. My number is in my signature.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 10:48am On Oct 09, 2022
lovemaths:
I'm a graduate of computer science. Just contact me on Whatsapp. I will be of help to you. My number is in my signature.

Yes, I will do so. Thank you very much

Modified. I tried the number on your profile but it's not on whatsapp
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Bobbiee: 10:50am On Oct 09, 2022
aliyuthayo:

I don't mean to be harsh! If you're jobless with these mentioned skills, it means you're still a learner. As a beginner, you're not supposed to be looking for job, rather look for a freelance work to up your skills and gather more experience as a Web Developer.

I set up a Fiverr account last week. The issue is that, I don't hold out much hope on freelance platforms like Fiverr. I've been using it for years and hardly ever get jobs. Maybe it's just me or I'm doing it wrong. Well, hopefully, I'll get jobs on this one. I started a WordPress gig for now as it's the easiest for me to do. If this works out, I'll branch out.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by egojeny1(f): 7:31pm On Oct 11, 2022
Abeg mk I bookmark this page for my son biko
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by lovemaths(f): 10:56am On Oct 12, 2022
Bobbiee:

Yes, I will do so. Thank you very much

Modified. I tried the number on your profile but it's not on whatsapp

It is on whatsapp
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:45pm On Oct 13, 2022
The person you guys are advising doesn't want to admit his fault, he kept answering questions to prove himself instead of him to read and learn.
Re: As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless by Ctony1: 10:58pm On Oct 13, 2022
Good evening folks. Pls, is there any training that someone can do. I have a friend who just finished OND civil engineering... Stil waiting for his I. T letter which may take a while. Instead of waiting. I don't know if there is any training program he can do

(1) (Reply)

Study Autocad / 5 College Degrees That Will Be Extinct In 20 Years / FG!!! Concrete Block Moulding Machine in Nigeria and

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.