Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? (1190 Views)

Answers To Common Questions About Igbo People / Some Funky Igbo Names And Their Meaning / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 20, 2013
GOOD MORNING!

Does the name ekene make sense on its own or does it only make sense as 'ekenedilichukwu'.. also are there any over variants of ekene? i.e. ekenedilirigi

what about the name ngozi, does ngozi make sense on its own or does it only make sense as 'ngozichukwu'
Re: Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? by EzePromoe: 8:31am On Jan 20, 2013
Ekene - greeting/thanking
Ekenedilichukwu - Thanks be to God

Ngozi - Blessing
Ngozika - Blessing is greater
Ngozichukwu - God's blessing

As an Igboman, you give full name to your child but when he/she would be called by her name generally, it would be abbreviated. We're like trying to mimic the whites, of not bearing a very long name. E.g Ngozichukwu is abbreviated to Ngozi or Ngor
Chinedu is abbreviated to Nedu
Obiageli is abbreviated to Oby
Ikechukwu is abbreviated to IK or Iyke
Ifeoma, Ifunanya, Ifeyinwa and lots of them are abbreviated to Ify

Almost all Igbo names are abbreviated. There are so many of them.
Re: Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? by Afam4eva(m): 8:34am On Jan 20, 2013
Ekene is a short form of Ekenedilichukwu just as Afam is a short form of Afamefuna. Ekene means greeting which really doesn't say anything. You have to decide who you're thanking. is it your Father , Mother, God or satan.

The same thing applies to Ngozi. Most names you hear eg Uche, Emeka, Somto are just shortened form of other names.
Re: Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? by abagoro(m): 9:24am On Jan 20, 2013
Afam4eva: Ekene is a short form of Ekenedilichukwu just as Afam is a short form of Afamefuna. Ekene means greeting which really doesn't say anything. You have to decide who you're thanking. is it your Father , Mother, God or satan.

The same thing applies to Ngozi. Most names you hear eg Uche, Emeka, Somto are just shortened form of other names.

People are also given the shortened names as their full and only names. I know a lot in my generation and my kids generation.
Re: Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 24, 2013
ekene means praise
ekenedilichukwu means praise be to god

two different names, on my birth certificate is the first one 'ekene', why am i obliged to take on such a long name of 'ekenedilichukwu' - its not about being ashamed, that just isnt my name

(1) (Reply)

7 Best Strategies Nigerians Can Use In Trading In Ghana And Not Be Caught / .. / Why Do Black Americans Call Their Fellow Blacks Monkeys?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.