Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,082 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) (21018 Views)

Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) / Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) / Pictures From Celebrations Of Buharis Victory From All Over Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by Redman44(m): 6:34am On Oct 01, 2022
Please join the Peter Obi rallies in your State today. Don't let the weather stop you. Thanks.

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by Osax0: 6:44am On Oct 01, 2022
[quote author=naptu2 post=117156589]1961 Independence Day Parade video

Nigeria we be great one day and still remain the giant of Africa
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by invincible007(m): 6:52am On Oct 01, 2022
naptu2:
Independence Day celebrations of the 1970s and 1980s (Videos and Memories).

Decorations, horses and fighter planes

1) The president was Major General Ibrahim Babangida.

2) The chief of general staff was Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe

3) The minister of defence and chairman joint chiefs of staff was Major General Domkat Bali

4) The service chiefs were Major General Sani Abacha (chief of army staff), Rear Admiral Augustus Aikhomu (chief of naval staff) and Air Vice Marshal Ibrahim Alfa (chief of air staff).

The question was, how can a commodore (one star general) be the chief of general staff (military vice president) when the minister of defence and service chiefs were two star generals? This was a recipe for disaster. Furthermore, General Bali was actually President Babangida’s senior and Admiral Aikhomu had been the chief of naval staff in Buhari’s administration when Ukiwe was just the flag officer commanding the Western Naval Command!

Well, the answer was that Ukiwe served in the Biafran Navy during the Civil War and therefore he lost a round of promotion. He could have also been a two star general if the Civil War had not happened.

Anyway, these issues came to a head ahead of the 1986 Independence Day parade. It was decided that Commodore Ukiwe should arrive the arena before the service chiefs. Commodore Ukiwe was not happy about this, so he did not attend the parade.

This is exactly the way I remember it. There were sirens and a motorcade arrived. The commentator said, “. . .the sirens heralding the arrival of the chief of general staff”. I looked through the window of the car and I could see a white naval uniform, so I naturally assumed that it was Ukiwe, but it was not. It was actually President Babangida and he was dressed in the uniform of an admiral! Ukiwe did not attend the parade at all!

Later that day, I heard that Ukiwe had been placed on house arrest. It was later announced that he had been retired from service. Four days later it was announced that Rear Admiral Aikhomu was the new chief of general staff and Rear Admiral Patrick Koshoni was the new chief of naval staff.

The next year, on October 1st, 1987, President Babangida promoted himself to a four star general, Aikhomu was promoted to a vice admiral (three star), Bali was promoted to a lieutenant general (three star), while the service chiefs were left as two star generals.

Fourth picture = General Buhari
This poster seems to be in the military before. The terminologies are familiar.

2 Likes

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by jaxxy(m): 7:00am On Oct 01, 2022
God help and bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by Papichulostunne(m): 8:18am On Oct 01, 2022
QuotaSystem:
Happy Independence Day fellow Nigerians.

As we celebrate our independence, let us remember those that are still dependent on a bloodthirsty terrorist organization’s permission to leave their homes on Mondays.

Never will we allow Nigeria suffer such helpless lack of independence in the hands of such terrorists and their candidate.
We are not fvcking independent yet bro till Peter Obi gets into power. when the will of the masses surpass that of the few elite in the country then you will know what true independence means. 62year old man(Nigeria) and you rely on your Father( British) to dey pqckage you every time you are broke. Is it not a shame. #ObiDatti is our INDEPENDENCE.!!!

1 Like

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by ITbomb(m): 8:23am On Oct 01, 2022
That time, Wike was still learning how to bath
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by phemmyfour: 8:35am On Oct 01, 2022
Nigeria is 25...bla bla
Chai..lyrics forgotten
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by kindredspirit(m): 9:06am On Oct 01, 2022
A lot of activities were lined up for Nigeria’s 25th anniversary celebrations in 1985. Famous singer, Bongos Ikue, wrote the lyrics of a television jingle. It went:

* = forgotten lyrics.

"Nigeria is Twenty Five,
the odds we did survive,

Arise, Salute the Nation,
Come join the Celebration,

A People United will never fall,
The Sun will shine and rain will fall....

...On our land, vast and mighty; richly blessed by the Almighty...

Like bees in the hive, we'll work so hard, to make the honey flow,
But not without the use of the hoe ( HOE ! HOE !)

Repeat:
Arise, Salute the Nation,
Come join the Celebration,

Nigeria is Twenty Five!!
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by Chris2863(m): 9:10am On Oct 01, 2022
QuotaSystem:

As we celebrate our independence, let us remember those that are still dependent on a bloodthirsty terrorist organization’s permission to leave their homes on Mondays.

Never will we allow Nigeria suffer such helpless lack of independence in the hands of such terrorists and their candidate.
no be you go tell us who to vote for. Obi or no other person.

1 Like

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by Omoluabi16(m): 9:30am On Oct 01, 2022
I love how obasanjo promised to handover in 1979 and then he actually did.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by ngBuild: 9:39am On Oct 01, 2022
QuotaSystem:

Drop links
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by PHAYOL81: 9:41am On Oct 01, 2022
naptu2:
1961 Independence Day Parade video

We see the saluting dais at the Race Course in Lagos. Then we see the prime minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, stepping out of the Rolls Royce Phantom. He is welcomed by the service chiefs as school children cheer. Then President Nnamdi Azikiwe and Mrs Flora Azikiwe arrive in the state Rolls Royce. Dr Azikiwe is dressed in the uniform of a field marshal. He exchanges salutes with the GOC Nigerian Army, who also bows to him and then with the other service chiefs. Then we see President and Mrs Azikiwe on the review vehicle (a Land Rover Series) as they receive the cheers of the crowd.

There is a clip of the VIP stand and we can see some of the ministers of the First Republic. The parade commander salutes Zik who returns the salute, then we see armoured vehicles (mainly ferrets) drive past the saluting dais. Finally Sir Abubakar and Dr Azikiwe watch as first the troops and later the school children march past the saluting dais (there's a cheeky school boy that sticks out his tongue at the camera).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Kk2G3tzIM

So impressive. We need to return this country to its glorious best; even better. The onus rest on all our franchise rights. Let's use the opportunity to build the nation we aspire by choosing the most capable candidate.
I can't choose for or bully you to go with my choice neither will I condone such from anybody. Live and let others live.
I choose @officialABAT Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu of APC. I want a Nigeria that progress like Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by omojeesu(m): 9:50am On Oct 01, 2022
A Prayer for Nigeria & Nigerians!

On this Independence Day, Lord! Have mercy on us!

We are a sinful nation, a sinful people! We have sinned greatly against you, leaders & all!

Much deceit! Much wickedness. Much immorality! Much injustice, violence & the shedding of innocent blood! The addiction to & crazy pursuit for money! Lord you know them all...

Forgive us our sins. We seek a new nation. A better nation where there's equity & justice, peace, progress & prosperity! Where more & more Nigerians come to You, live for You, serve You & remain in You.

In mercy let your will be done in Nigeria! Because of the poor, the needy & the oppressed! Deliver the people from the hands of those too strong for them.

These & more I ask in Jesus name! Amen!
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by wisz1(m): 10:05am On Oct 01, 2022
funshint:
It can only be naptu2 grin. Do you work at the National Archivals? 'cos I wonder where you normally get all these recordings from.

He deserves a medal, very informative and lovely piece.Seun should honour him for this.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by peculiar2233: 10:22am On Oct 01, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Happy Independence Nigerians.

Fellow Nigerian, the only patriotic act from you now is to shun who has always identify with those who wants the disintegration of Nigeria, those who called Nigeria a zoo for years.

Shun them and que behind a patriotic citizen, Tinubu.

God bless the incoming GCFR, Ashiwaju Ahmad Bola Tinubu.

Vote your grandpa in peace and stop disturbing our peace here. But make I ask u this question. Why are u so shameless? grin

1 Like

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by naptu2: 10:36am On Oct 01, 2022
Omoluabi16:
I love how obasanjo promised to handover in 1979 and then he actually did.

October 1st, 1979.

We see the troops marching past in the rain. General Olusegun Obasanjo is taking the salute. We see the Colour Party as it marches past the saluting dais. Then we see General Obasanjo and General Danjuma.

There is a massive crowd at the Tafawa Balewa Square and there are Nigerian flags hanging from the grandstands.

We see President-Elect Alhaji Shehu Shagari and Chief Justice Atanda Fatai Williams sitting in the state box. Then we see policemen marching past.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari comes down to the stage to take the oath of office. We can see General Shehu Musa Yar'Adua (Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters) and Alhaji Muhammadu Dikko Yusuf (Inspector General of Police) behind him.

Then Justice Fatai Williams administers the oath on President Shagari and we can see people climbing the towers beside the grandstand in order to be able to see the ceremony. We see Dr Alex Ekwueme, General Yar'Adua, Admiral Adelanwa and Marshal John Yisa-Doko as President Shagari is reading the oath of office.

Then General Obasanjo shakes hands with President Shagari and they exchange salutes.

Next we see the tanks and armoured fighting vehicles rolling past the saluting dais.

Then we see the massive crowd in the stands and President Shagari and General Obasanjo wave to them as they ride past in the back of an open top Land Rover Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPGcdND8f_U
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by Aremwayne: 12:50pm On Oct 01, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
I hope you don't return to your vomit this Time next year when the destiny prevailed and Obi lose the election.

I hope you'll still be able to wish Nigeria a Happy Independence next year and not Nigeria is a zoo, BIAFRA OR DEATH as you all used to say before Obi candidacy.
I don't care about Biafra or South East, I just want a better Nigeria and by the way I am from the North Central.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by ohosi4real(m): 12:53pm On Oct 01, 2022
Good work bro
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by yejide16u: 1:17pm On Oct 01, 2022
Celebrating mediocrityCelebrating mediocrity...
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by babajero(m): 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2022
QuotaSystem:

Ipob was and still peaceful when buhari and his terrorist arm was killing them and after that tagged them terrorist organisation, while fulani terrorists were killing without check. When Nnamdi Kanu was warning Nigerians that buhari and his people are Boko Haram you people called him names, now buhari have distributed terrorism to the whole of Nigeria with the help of other northern terrorists like APC VP Shettima who is being accused of starting Boko Haram and spearheading the kidnapping of students in chibok.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by babajero(m): 6:16pm On Oct 01, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
Happy Independence Nigerians.

Fellow Nigerian, the only patriotic act from you now is to shun who has always identify with those who wants the disintegration of Nigeria, those who called Nigeria a zoo for years.

Shun them and que behind a patriotic citizen, Tinubu.

God bless the incoming GCFR, Ashiwaju Ahmad Bola Tinubu.

Shame no dey worry una? Only una go open multiple accounts just to praise a man wey no fit waka by himself. One thing is certain, that una plan to use a dying man take retain power for north no go work, people are wiser now.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) by PsalmsElf(m): 9:02pm On Oct 01, 2022
rayjeroh:
Nostalgia
Seriously, it's just like yesterday...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Resident Recounts Ordeal With Bandits (Pics,Video) / Peter Obi's World Press Conference (Live Update) / Justice Liman Refutes DSS Allegations; Threatens To Abandon Profession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.