Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,883 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn (26802 Views)

Download MP3 - Machala - Carter Efe Ft Berri Tiga / Brown Skin Girl - Beyoncé Ft. Saint JHN, Wizkid & Blue Ivy Carter – Lyrics / Wizkid, Olamide And Davido Battle For Best Male NEA Awards 2018 | Full List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by EntPublisher001: 4:36am On Oct 01, 2022
In this article, TrendyBeatz analyses the source of the issues about the “Machala” song, the underlying stories of the two parties involved and lessons for upcoming artists on the need for music business education.

The half of 2022 has been a pivotal time in Nigerian music history. It saw the rise of music underdogs, the production of classic albums, and a plethora of hit songs. Sometimes in July, a popular skit maker, Carter Efe, known for his usual stunts of powdered face and dancing with towels, and the upcoming artiste, Berri Tiga, released a snippet of their song, titled Machala.

The song “Machala” is dedicated to the afrobeat superstar Ayo Balogun Wizkid.

A eulogy song raining adulations on the mentioned artist. Inarguably, this song remains one of the hit songs that gained massive acceptance in 2022. It became a number one hit song in the country and debuted on the UK chart.

Albeit, the song could be termed a success because of its impact; the rift and issues that sprang up after the song make for a subtle reminder for young artists to understand the rudiments of the music business before engaging in any deal.

Machala: The Making Of The Hit Song

“Machala” is an Amapiano-tinged track. On this colourful tune, Berri Tiga rides the trending Amapiano wave and incorporates crowd vocals making it a sure party banger. The crowd vocals, which remain the catchy hook on the song, make up for the reasons the song became a hit. While we can ascribe the hit factor to the quality of the song melody, we cannot deny the mega profile of Wizkid, to whom the song is dedicated to.

The fans call him “Wizkid”, and the stans (read as Wizkid FC) regard him as “Machala” the meaning could be traced to Wizkid’s soft lifestyle. Without a doubt, the massive streaming and support from Wizkid FC is another major factor in the ‘blowing’ (sic) of the song.

Another obvious reason is the song’s flow, the writing, and the smooth delivery by Berri Tiga. It was just too perfect that it made the promotion easy for Carter Efe, who already has his audience.

The Underlying Story Behind “Machala” Ownership.

The rancour started when the song became a hit and money started to flow in through shows, in which Carter Efe gets more of the show invites than Berri Tiga and also gets more percentage of the music streaming revenue than the guy mentioned.

Carter Efe, who was riding on his brand as a comedian, and his attachment to the “Machala” tag as a major push for the song felt like he was entitled to a bigger part of the music revenue share. Berri Tiga then accused Carter of conniving with Sydney Talker, a comedian and friend to Carter Efe, to pay him off for the song with just #100,000 Naira payout. Meanwhile, Berri Tiga, who exposed the whole story, said Carter Efe could be the mastermind behind the “Machala” creation, but he personally wrote and sang the song from scratch till it was perfected.

Just weeks after the song had garnered massive airplay, it was abruptly removed from streaming platforms, which was no doubt caused by the disagreement between the two artists.

Who’s to be Blamed? Who’s Really at Fault?

We never can conclude, but it’s obvious that their inability to carefully discuss the terms of their collaboration and arrange it into an official contract that will be signed and sealed by the duo is the major reason the song ownership became an issue worth fighting for.

Two Cents & Lessons Upcoming Artists Should Learn From The “Machala” Ownership Fight:

Hide your desperation. People would use that against you. Connect with ‘your’ lawyer if a deal is placed in front of you, and be sure to include a smooth exit if terms aren’t honoured.

Entertainment Lawyers are not for decorations. They are more than people that just observe and sign contracts for you. Due to how connected they often are in the industry, lawyers negotiate terms for you and give you advice when negotiating deals.

Most importantly, don’t be in a rush to sign anything. If it’s not clear, it’s a scam!

One of the hardest things for upcoming artists and producers to sign is split sheets. Not because they don’t want to, but because they are desperate and the bigger artist has the leverage to exploit them. Even with their lawyers and representation, it isn’t easy in Nigeria.

Also, you have to look at the power dynamic between two collaborators. The small guy can’t enforce his rights because he needs the big guy to gain visibility and grow. The big guy knows this and enjoys free labour. Who will fight for the small guy? No one.

And as an upcoming producer, you might make a song, and they refuse to give you split sheets. When you push too much, they will remake your beat with a more prominent producer and release it. If you complain too much, the industry recoils from you as a snitch or troublemaker.

The business part of music is very crucial and must be tidied up with a concrete agreement before everything else.

Also, social media isn’t the best medium of dispute resolution for the music industry. It doesn’t give anyone a meaningful resolution, just 15 minutes of outrage. If you feel wronged, Get your lawyer.

What’s your take on the “Machala” song ownership? Do you think Carter Efe or Berri Tiga should have settled it without a social media fight? Could it be a PR for the song? Let’s know your thoughts!

Source: TrendyBeatz

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by crafteck(m): 5:28am On Oct 01, 2022
Berri did giveaway naaa, why shouting now?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Mrincredy(m): 1:31pm On Oct 01, 2022
This is for people that still insist that education is a waste

120 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by ecolime(m): 4:22pm On Oct 01, 2022
Na greed do both of them.

Berri didn't stick to agreement but then100k payoff is also too small.

Carter Efe should have amended the contract to something like 60-40 or even 70-30 sharing ratio when the money started rolling in.

Lets not forget the stories of

1. 2face & Kennis Music
2. Kiss Daniel & Emperor Geezy
3. Wizkid & Banky W.

Nobody likes to be used.

Las Las, both of them got served.

76 Likes

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by NATOChairman: 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2022
Escalation Of Tensions In No One’s Interest': India Refuses To Side With West https://www.nairaland.com/7361306/escalation-tensions-no-ones-interest

1 Like

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Starboytwo(m): 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2022
They should have settled instead of have the music yank off streaming platform.

“Nobody wins if the family feud”

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by PlayerMeji: 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2022
Was he trying to say MACHALLA--SHI...

Didnt get the Machalla thing that was on repeat! grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Etizz: 4:24pm On Oct 01, 2022
Whether na my mama, papa or any of my relatives....there must be a written agreement in anything we do together......I have learnt a lot.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by tillaman(m): 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2022
grin
You see them Sydney Talker clique them crazy gan like say no be them Davido help most of them career
Berri tiga you sef try learn from this one and give us another hit you are too loaded

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Maynman: 4:26pm On Oct 01, 2022
Carter efe gave everything he had to push that song, he promoted it “crazily”, if the song was not a hit I wonder if berri will be acting like this.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Aareakinwunmi(m): 4:27pm On Oct 01, 2022
Nah court fi settle the matter

2 Likes

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Arry110(m): 4:27pm On Oct 01, 2022
Na money matter go make you sabi person true color

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by VeryWickedGoat: 4:27pm On Oct 01, 2022
I'm sorry who are these guys?

31 Likes

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Arry110(m): 4:27pm On Oct 01, 2022
Maynman:
Carter efe gave everything he had to push that song, he promoted it “crazily”, if the song was not a hit I wonder if berri will be acting like this.
Omo forget , offering him 100k is evil

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by omoadeleye(m): 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2022
Bb
Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Maynman: 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2022
Arry110:
Omo forget , offering him 100k is evil

Why did he collect it?
And he must have collected it before the song was released.
If the song didn’t gather any streams, i wonder who will be at lost.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by nemelu123(m): 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2022
Who meet Wizkid for Ghana? grin

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by grandstar(m): 4:29pm On Oct 01, 2022
Ok
Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Redstubpen: 4:30pm On Oct 01, 2022
Ok
Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by fiolarrn: 4:30pm On Oct 01, 2022
Word
Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Arry110(m): 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2022
Maynman:

Why did he collect it?
If the song didn’t gather any streams, i wonder who will be at lost.
he didn’t collect it bro, na there issue start

22 Likes

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Maynman: 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2022
Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by SIMONEKPA7: 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2022
That Carter Efe too greedy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Angelfrost(m): 4:32pm On Oct 01, 2022
Never heard the song in dispute (Certainly never will)!

However, I agree with Op here! This getting cheated happens even beyond the Entertainment industry... Wolves are always looking for easy and desperate pickings.

This reminds me of the now infamous case of Cynthia Morgan. Nigerian Entertainment Industry is a stinking world of Avarice!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Chasssy: 4:33pm On Oct 01, 2022
Beri tiga abi na iberiberism dem dey call you you better chillax

2 Likes

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Maynman: 4:34pm On Oct 01, 2022
Arry110:
he didn’t collect it bro, na there issue start

But The song was teased for like 2 weeks before released, why didn’t we hear anything about it then, Until it became a hit?
If it was not a hit, will he keep the same energy?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by richie240: 4:35pm On Oct 01, 2022
Think of it like this:
You help me push-start my car, yes without u d car wouldn't have started but durzdat mean u now own d car bcus of ur help?

Sometimes we may have to put ourselves in d shoes of d 'victims' for this to resonate fully.
cool

Maynman:

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Maynman: 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2022
richie240:
Think of it like this:
You help me push-start my car, yes without u d car wouldn't have started but durzdat mean u now own d car bcus of ur help?

Sometimes we may have to put ourselves in d shoes of d 'victims' for this to resonate fully.
cool

Writing a lyrics doesn’t mean you own the song, we still have producer, mixer, promoter and so on that will make the lyrics become a HIT song, as berri said, carter efe was the mastermind of the song and he wrote the lyrics.
All these dj owns songs, and they don’t even sing on it.

20 Likes

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Kutunban: 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2022
Lack of education is expensive. Lesson I learned.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Sonyboom765: 4:37pm On Oct 01, 2022
Nonetheless less he suppose use sense deal with the boy when dol start rolling in.

Maynman:

1 Like

Re: Carter Efe And Berri Tiga: The Battle For Song Ownership And Lessons To Learn by Maynman: 4:38pm On Oct 01, 2022
Sonyboom765:
Nonetheless less he suppose use sense deal with the boy when dol start rolling in.

They should have had an agreement before the song was released, i wonder if the song was a flop he will keep the same energy.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Surbhi Wali And Dunni Bills - 'Legal Nasha' (Video) / Lifted Me By Frank Edwards / Dan Maraya Jos Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.