Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother (1688 Views)

I Want To Adopt A Child As A Single Man / Help, My Child Is Already A GENIUS @ 3! / What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 02, 2022
Please I need advice and guidance on how I can travel overseas as a single mother with my daughter was never married to her dad, and I’m planning to get married to my fiancé by the end of this year as we both want to travel overseas together I need information as how I can travel with my daughter without any confusion from her fathers side as he is also married with two kids. And can I change my daughter last name to my new husband name to enable us travel all together please need this advice thanks
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by money121(m): 12:09pm On Oct 02, 2022
Everybody just dey jaapaa

1 Like

Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by Anigreat: 12:14pm On Oct 02, 2022
shocked

It's very wrong of you to think of changing your daughter's last name to that of your husband to be. Except, your daughter's dad accept such which I doubt or he's a deadbeat dad.

But anyway you can take your daughter with you please do, don't think of dropping the girl to the father. For us who lived with our step mothers , we truly passed through hell on earth. The experience is not funny at all.
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 02, 2022
I’m only thinking of changing her surname if case be he is against me taking my daughter with me as she has I have been with my daughter till date I need informations as to how to go about it cause I did few research and says they need a consent letter for me to travel with her and my fears is when is he is against and don’t want to consent to that not just that I want to intentionally change the last name thanks
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by Mindlog: 1:00pm On Oct 02, 2022
Techgirl29:
I’m only thinking of changing her surname if case be he is against me taking my daughter with me as she has I have been with my daughter till date I need informations as to how to go about it cause I did few research and says they need a consent letter for me to travel with her and my fears is when is he is against and don’t want to consent to that not just that I want to intentionally change the last name thanks

Changing her last name is fraud as long as his name is on the birth certificate.You must
get consent letter from him unless you can prove before the court that he has been absent in the life of the child and such claim must be verifiable.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by ekitimanalways(m): 1:37pm On Oct 02, 2022
Mindlog:

Changing her last name is fraud as long as his name is on the birth certificate.You must
get consent letter from him unless you can proof before the court that he has been absent in the life of the child and such claim must be verifiable.
I agree with you.
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by neonly: 5:18pm On Oct 02, 2022
Feminist una don start giving to Peter what belong to Paul
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by frozen70(f): 3:24am On Oct 03, 2022
Please I need advice and guidance on how I can travel overseas as a single mother with my daughter was never married to her dad, and I’m planning to get married to my fiancé by the end of this year as we both want to travel overseas together I need information as how I can travel with my daughter without any confusion from her fathers side as he is also married with two kids. And can I change my daughter last name to my new husband name to enable us travel all together please need this advice thanks

I am still thinking of how financially buoyant you guys are to travel as a family

You can't change your daughter name to your man's name because he is not her biological father

Rather you can have the child bear your father's name or he can process the adoption of your daughter through legal means with the appropriate authorities, that's what he needs to do to get her bear his name

While filling forms at the embassy, you have to indicate that you have a child while he too will indicate he has children too
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by Arielle: 10:56am On Oct 03, 2022
Don't change her name. That's fraud if without her Dad's consent. Get all your papers together:
1. Her birth certificate
2. Your own id documents because it should identify you as the mother, whose name is on the birth cert.
3. If you marry beforeyou travel, your marriage certificate.
4. If you have legally changed your name to your married name, you need an affidavit for change of name and maybe newspaper notification of change of name.
5. Finally and VERY important: letter of consent from her father authorizing you to take her out of the country.
The last is extremely important because of child trafficking laws. I carry all the above as essential parts of my travel documents when I travel with my 2 children. The only one I don't carry is 5 because I am widowed. In its place I carry my late husband's death certificate.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by Pemisola: 4:28pm On Mar 06, 2023
What if the child bears the mother's surname, will there be need for a consent letter from the dad who abandoned the pregnancy of the child?
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by Mindlog: 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2023
Pemisola:
What if the child bears the mother's surname, will there be need for a consent letter from the dad who abandoned the pregnancy of the child?

If the child bears the mother's surname based on the fact that she was never married to the child's father or the child's father have never been present in the child's life, there is no need for a consent letter.

I had a Nigerian course mate who came to the UK for postgrad studies with her 6 year old daughter, without attaching any consent letter as she submitted documented proofs as the only parent in her daughter's life during visa application as the child's father also walked during pregnancy.
Re: How Can I Travel With My Child As A Single Mother by sisisioge: 5:07pm On Mar 06, 2023
Unmarried pregnant ladies need to stop giving their children their baby daddies last names if the guys are not present in the child's life to avoid stories that touch. Just give the child your last names so you can easily prove being the only parent of the child when the time comes for abroad things. They are very fussy about consent of the other parents.

Meanwhile, @OP can change the child's name to her own last name if the guy is not present the the child's life and update her birth certificate. If she doesn't, getting the father's consent wont end at the embassy, there will be schools abroad, medical matters, passport, etc. Better make your record straight now towards the future.

Then, gather your documents and submit to the embassy for your visa application. May God grant your heart desires.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Women,don't Marry A Man Who Feels The Domestic Work Is For Women Alone. / Nigerian Divorce Law And Divorcing A Stale Wife / I Dont Want Kid's!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.