Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,814 members, 7,851,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:45 AM

Your Journey Into Disbelief ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Your Journey Into Disbelief ? (713 Views)

Is This Not Enough Reason To disBelief God? / Atheist.....what Concept Of God Do You Disbelief? / Disbelief In God. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by UyiIredia(m): 8:36pm On Aug 15, 2011
I am curious to know how atheists on Nairaland became atheists. were you a religionist before ? or were you brought up by parents who were atheists (or simply non-religious) ? Your stories on how you became atheists will be appreciated.
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by tpia5: 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2011
i dont think this thread is necessary.

most of the atheists here have stated at one time or another, how or why they became atheists.

rehashing their stories serves no purpose, imo.

nothing new there.

as i said, my opinion.
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by claremont(m): 10:54pm On Aug 15, 2011
@OP: I wasn't born an Atheist, it will interest you to know that I was a "born-again" Christian at a point in my life. I chose to be an Atheist because religion left me with more questions than answers; religion has been proven to be beyond logic, and completely irrational.

A simple question for religious adherents who claim God created the world is; If God created the world, who created God?! God didn't just appear from nowhere because nature abhors a vacuum, therefore, who created the creator?! Religion teaches us to keep our lips sealed and ask no questions, Atheism frees our minds from the web of religion and allows us to freely seek answers to simple logical questions. Freedom is bliss!
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by Joagbaje(m): 4:03am On Aug 16, 2011
tpia@:

You can't say that . It's a forum
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by Kay17: 10:53am On Aug 16, 2011
I was a very strong christian until doubt crept in and corroded all my certitude
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by tEsLim(m): 11:21am On Aug 16, 2011
Was once born again Christian and member of serious war-type church MFM in Lagos cheesy

Became atheist after I started seeking for knowledge. First one time started reading from my dad's library. He was in and out of religion though. He had this book called "In the Name of GOD" a book detailing atrocities by the vatican and I guess there I read about the crusade wars or I read about that via Key of David magazines (Its free subscription back then). Then found another book in dad's library "The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus Christ" or something like that that got me interested in the aquarian gospel. Then more and more materials. Went through the bible cover to cover twice by then. The final blow was when I started researching about the Gnostics and reading about constantine and the christian history. Then some other religious documentary and internet
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by Sweetnecta: 12:11pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ so its your father who left islam and journeyed to christianity and then to out of religion?

You and he should drop your islamic names.

If mom is still a muslim, based on her age, i believe she can do better by herself instead of hanging a disbelieving husband. If she is not a muslim, then its the sign of the time. Unfortunately poverty [its all relative] always have impact on the religiosity of a person, in almost as intense as as bad education without moral fibre.
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by tEsLim(m): 1:17pm On Aug 16, 2011
@sweetnecta now you are taking the piss. You are attacking my character or family background which I'll never do to anyone here than discuss issues presented and be logical. And talking about poverty you mean poor people are religious or poor people dont believe I dont get you quite well. Because I'm not lacking or can be considered as being poor so I dont understand what you are getting at.

And by the way I'm interested in Islam for a minute because I'm interested polygamy (like my dad). So I'm researching the subject of Nikai/Nikah. But mostly interested in Nikāḥ al-Mut‘ah a temporary marriage that can let me be with Islamic/Muslim women temporary legally and hopefully I'll gain support from the Muslim community with this.

If you dont have an idea what  Nikāḥ al-Mut‘ah you can read from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikah_mut%E2%80%98ah

Dear sweetnecta are you female? Regardless I hope I gain support from you this time around as I may become a seasonal Muslim or temporary Muslim so I can have temporary marriages. Because I dont see myself being with one woman for life. I hope my kids understand with me. They're too young now to know. But I'll always be there as a father and maybe let them understand later
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2011
tEsLim:

@sweetnecta now you taking the piss. You are attacking my character or family background which I'll never do to anyone here than discuss issues presented and be logical. And talking about poverty you mean poor people are religious or poor people dont believe I dont get. Because I'm not lacking or can be considered poor so I dont understand what you are getting at.

And by the way I'm interested in islam for a minute because I'm interested polygamy (like my dad). So I'm researching the subject of Nikai/Nikah. BUt mostly interested in Nikāḥ al-Mut‘ah a temporary marriage than let me be with Islamic women temporary legally and hopefully I'll gain support from the muslim community with this.

If you dont have an idea what  Nikāḥ al-Mut‘ah you can read from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikah_mut%E2%80%98ah

shocked shocked shocked

i can confidently say it that more than 60% of world atheists aren't born into atheism but fell into atheism after suffering one form of disappoint or the other, or probably being brainwashed into atheism by others.

Most of the atheists here on NL are former Christians and from christian homes. im sure testimonies will justify my view as the thread progresses
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by harakiri(m): 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2011
tpia@:

most of the atheists here have stated at one time or another, how or why they became atheists.

rehashing their stories serves no purpose, imo.

nothing new there.

as i said, my opinion.

Thank you very much for reminding him. We have answered this same question in different forms and different posts but somehow, there's always someone that wants to bring it up again for some reason best known to them. This same poster has read and commented on such posts if my memory serves me right.

People sha! ! !
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by tEsLim(m): 1:39pm On Aug 16, 2011
[b]Sweetnecta [/b]and other Muslims i need your help here

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-737027.0.html#msg8935229
Re: Your Journey Into Disbelief ? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2011
harakiri:

Thank you very much for reminding him. We have answered this same question in different forms and different posts but somehow, there's always someone that wants to bring it up again for some reason best known to them. This same poster has read and commented on such posts if my memory serves me right.

People sha! ! !

Yes people sha. I hate it when people choose to act like hypocrites even if such are xtians, muslims or atheists. You are old here same i am. I can authoritatively confirm to u that more than half of the threads being proliferated in the religion section on NL have also been previously discussed either directly or indirectly. No?

Now this topic has be trashed out on couple of occasions here directly or indirectly as well.

Yesterday at 05:40:00 PM - Seun - He's Not Convinced That God Truly Exists
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-735006.0.html
But the chief executive of atheists and owner of Nairaland chose to make same a headline topic on the homepage. I read a couple of ur posts on the same thread and those of other atheist that have previously discussed the existence of God or other wise. If u want to be critical, look inwards lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Redeemed Pastor, Caught Extorting N50,000 From Hawkers / 11/11/11 Deception - The Meaning Behind The Phenomenon / Organisers Remove Death Threats Against 'Anti-islam' Activists in Maldives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.