Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,891 members, 7,810,425 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner (1811 Views)

7 Figure Real Estate Affiliate Marketing Business In Nigeria / 7 Side Hustling You Can Do As A Salary Earner / Low Income Earner? Top Secrets To Earn More Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by Zyxsc: 12:28am On Oct 05, 2022
The event narrated on this thread is a sequel to one narrated here: https://www.nairaland.com/7304797/how-gambling-changed-life. Taking a step back from the concluding part of that story and just taking you through an unorganised tale of a man who found favour.

After paying off the school fee I gambled with in 200 level, I made a resolution to never gamble with my money again; a decision I've been faithful to ever since. 300 level came and I went for my industrial training. Most students in my department went to companies that aligns with our course of study, but I went to company that pays. I was paid 20k per month. God bless my then boss. He would organise overtime for me, so I can have more money. I saved in bits for 4 months and bought my official 'frustrator', a fairly used Dell laptop that threatens me more times than Buhari has ever done. You can imagine a fully charged laptop telling me it's going to shutdown in 5 minutes and it won't even allow me finish reading its popup message before actually shutting down. Chai, that laptop is the devil itself.

With my laptop, I dived head first in C programming language. I switched to learning Java after I learnt that C is not the most suitable to build the betting app I want to build. I was like 5 months OFF-ON into learning Java when I learnt about Blockchain and cryptocurrency. I did a little bit of reading and learnt the high level overview knowledge of how the whole system works. As at that time, the crypto market was on a bull run and Blockchain companies were just popping up here and there with ideas that may or may not survive the next bear market. I became a collector of crypto airdrops and I stumbled upon a blockchain startup company based in Singapore. I signed up for their airdrop and carried out the required tasks to be eligible for the airdrop. As I was about to submit, I saw a popup message requesting if I would like to join their validators, provided I am good with Java programming language. I clicked Yes and proceeded to submit my airdrop details.

After about 2 months, I was at my school library when I got an email from them, notifying me about a Java test I must pass to be able to join their validators. In my mind, I was like 'there's no way I can pass this'. All I can still build is a calculator. So I was about to pack my stuff and leave for my hostel. Then I heard a voice telling me, "Try it out. You have nothing to loose anyway". So I listened to the voice and opened my laptop again. The test is a timed, 3-level test with 3 trials per level. There is a beginner level, an intermediate level, and an advanced level. I attempted the beginner and in one try I passed because I was a beginner, of course. I proceeded to the intermediate level but I failed the first trial and the second trial. Lucky for me, I passed the third and last trial. I was so demoralised when I saw the first question of the advanced level. I didn't even understand what I just read, obviously because I wasn't yet a senior programmer. I was so demoralised but I told myself, "I'm not going to try find the right answer. I'll pick the first option I see". I only hear of such wonders; I've never being a witness to one. It was unbelievable to me when I saw a pass mark returned after my submission. I got in... a beginner programmer.

I wouldn't say much about the daily task involved in the job, so I won't expose too much information. But I read like say I wan mad to make up for my inadequate knowledge. The monthly payment was in Ethereum. At a point in time, I accumulated up to 3.7 Ethereum and traded it to a profit of 0.1 BTC. When the price of Ethereum dropped from $200 to $64, I sold 3 ethereum to get myself a HP laptop. I accumulated more ethereum from my payments but ended up loosing everything to day-trading on Binance. I lost over 2 million naira to the bear market. Covid came and killed off the company and a lot of crypto companies that sprung up in the last 4 years. Though I lost money to the crypto market, but I gained a lot from working for that company. I count my losses and moved on. However, the experience I gained in that company served as the bedrock for whatever height I may reach today in my career. Even after then, I wasn't really good in programming. Never built a server then. Didn't even understand what a middleware is.

I secured a job in Lagos that pays me 100k as a mobile app developer (Flutter). That year was very tough year for me. My girlfriend got pregnant. I did my wedding. Got a baby girl and also got some debts on my neck. Loan apps wan finish me with insults. In 6 months, my salary increased to 150k. After one year, I switched companies. The new company started with the same salary because I didn't know how to negotiate salary. After 6 months, it was increased to 180k, but I was still disgruntled with the salary. Please learn the art of negotiating salary, regardless of the field you find yourself.

Early September, I got an email asking me if I'm still interested in a job that I can't even remember when I applied for it. Of course, I'm still interested. Na you I dey wait for since all these days sef. So the CEO of the company arranged a meeting with me, interviewed me to see if I'm a culture fit. I no dey fail behavioural interviews again since I don fvck up for one behavioural interview lai dat. Next, i was sent a technical take-home assignment to do. That assignment mad. It took me 9 days of intense reading and 9 nights of sleepless night + frustration to solve the question. I finally completed it and sent them my solution. I interviewed with the CTO and the lead engineer. They loved the way I approached my solution, as well as the quality of my code. My code SOLID kpa.

Well, I got the job. The payment is $1800. That's like 1.2 million monthly in Naira, using the black market rate. It was an unbelievable success. Who I be? Me wey be customer of various loan apps. My first ever salary was 7k. Spent five years before I could gain admission into the university. Spent another 5 years studying a 4-year course. My dad was a driver. My mum, a petty trader. I grew up in the trenches. Face-me-I-slap-you house story dey there. That one na season film. Trekking over 1 hour everyday to school dey there. Story for another day. Factory work palava nkor, abi na my labourer/bricklayer parole I wan talk. I've faced the hard life. I've faced the tough times. I've faced the bad days. I've persevered through them all. Grace found my preparations and sent me an opportunity, so people can call it luck.

No be me holy pass but I call myself the epitome of Grace. Started from the bottom, now I'm here.

lalasticlala, mynd44, Mukina2, crazyman, 1forall Perhaps, my story can motivate more people if you send it to the frontpage

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by pocohantas(f): 7:00am On Oct 05, 2022
Well, I got the job. The payment is $1800. That's like 1.2 million monthly in Naira, using the black market rate

Congrats to you.

The remote workspace has saved a lot of Nigerian youths.
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by folake4u(f): 7:03am On Oct 05, 2022
Congrats to you. More wins. smiley
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by sageb: 7:47am On Oct 05, 2022
pocohantas:

Congrats to you.
The remote workspace has saved a lot of Nigerian youths.
The moment katyperry returns and see this post. Katy perry be like" so Pocohantas is now a Yahoo Gal?"
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by pocohantas(f): 7:50am On Oct 05, 2022
sageb:

The moment katyperry returns and see this post.
Katy perry be like" so Pocohantas is now a Yahoo Gal?"

Lol. That is how close-minded Nigerians could be. I don’t blame them sha. If you are not going out everyday to inhale different body and mouth odours inside korope. That is before forgetting your change with conductor, Nigerians do not believe you are working.

We too like suffer for this country.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by sageb: 8:33am On Oct 05, 2022
Zyxsc:
The event narrated on this thread is a sequel to one narrated here: https://www.nairaland.com/7304797/how-gambling-changed-life. Taking a step back from the concluding part of that story and just taking you through an unorganised tale of a man who found favour.

After paying off the school fee I gambled with in 200 level, I made a resolution to never gamble with my money again; a decision I've been faithful to ever since. 300 level came and I went for my industrial training. Most students in my department went to companies that aligns with our course of study, but I went to company that pays. I was paid 20k per month. God bless my then boss. He would organise overtime for me, so I can have more money. I saved in bits for 4 months and bought my official 'frustrator', a fairly used Dell laptop that threatens me more times than Buhari has ever done. You can imagine a fully charged laptop telling me it's going to shutdown in 5 minutes and it won't even allow me finish reading its popup message before actually shutting down. Chai, that laptop is the devil itself.

With my laptop, I dived head first in C programming language. I switched to learning Java after I learnt that C is not the most suitable to build the betting app I want to build. I was like 5 months OFF-ON into learning Java when I learnt about Blockchain and cryptocurrency. I did a little bit of reading and learnt the high level overview knowledge of how the whole system works. As at that time, the crypto market was on a bull run and Blockchain companies were just popping up here and there with ideas that may or may not survive the next bear market. I became a collector of crypto airdrops and I stumbled upon a blockchain startup company based in Singapore. I signed up for their airdrop and carried out the required tasks to be eligible for the airdrop. As I was about to submit, I saw a popup message requesting if I would like to join their validators, provided I am good with Java programming language. I clicked Yes and proceeded to submit my airdrop details.

After about 2 months, I was at my school library when I got an email from them, notifying me about a Java test I must pass to be able to join their validators. In my mind, I was like 'there's no way I can pass this'. All I can still build is a calculator. So I was about to pack my stuff and leave for my hostel. Then I heard a voice telling me, "Try it out. You have nothing to loose anyway". So I listened to the voice and opened my laptop again. The test is a timed, 3-level test with 3 trials per level. There is a beginner level, an intermediate level, and an advanced level. I attempted the beginner and in one try I passed because I was a beginner, of course. I proceeded to the intermediate level but I failed the first trial and the second trial. Lucky for me, I passed the second trial. I was so demoralised when I saw the first question of the advanced level. I didn't even understand what I just read. I told myself, "I'm not going to try find the right answer. I'll pick the first option I see". I only hear of such wonders; I've never being a witness to one. It was unbelievable to me when I saw a pass mark returned after my submission. I got in... a beginner programmer.

I wouldn't say much about the daily task involved in the job, so I won't expose too much information. But I read like say I wan mad to make up for my inadequate knowledge. The monthly payment was in Ethereum. At a point in time, I accumulated up to 3.7 Ethereum and traded it to a profit of 0.1 BTC. When the price of Ethereum dropped from $200 to $64, I sold 3 ethereum to get myself a HP laptop. I accumulated more ethereum from my payments but ended up loosing everything to day-trading on Binance. I lost over 2 million naira to the bear market. Covid came and killed off the company and a lot of crypto companies that sprung up in the last 4 years. Though I lost money to the crypto market, but I gained a lot from working for that company. I count my losses and moved on. However, the experience I gained in that company served as the bedrock for whatever height I may reach today in my career. Even after then, I wasn't really good in programming. Never built a server then. Didn't even understand what a middleware is.

I secured a job in Lagos that pays me 100k as a mobile app developer (Flutter). That year was very tough year for me. My girlfriend got pregnant. I did my wedding. Got a baby girl and also got some debts on my neck. Loan apps wan finish me with insults. In 6 months, my salary increased to 150k. After one year, I switched companies. The new company started with the same salary because I didn't know how to negotiate salary. After 6 months, it was increased to 180k, but I was still disgruntled with the salary. Please learn the art of negotiating salary, regardless of the field you may found yourself.

I got an email asking me if I'm still interested in a job that I can't even remember when I applied for it. Of course, I'm still interested. Na you I dey wait for since all these days sef. So the CEO of the company arranged a meeting with me, interviewed me to see if I'm a culture fit. I no dey fail behavioural interviews again since I don fvck up for one behavioural interview lai dat. Next, i was sent a technical take-home assignment to do. That assignment mad. It took me 9 days of intense reading and 9 nights of sleepless night + frustration to solve the question. I finally completed it and sent them my solution. I interviewed with the CTO and the lead engineer. They loved the way I approached my solution, as well as the quality of my code. My code SOLID kpa.

Well, I got the job. The payment is $1800. That's like 1.2 million monthly in Naira, using the black market rate. It was an unbelievable success. Who I be? Me wey be customer of various loan apps. My first ever salary was 7k. Spent five years before I could gain admission into the university. Spent another 5 years studying a 4-year course. My dad was a driver. My mum, a petty trader. I grew up in the trenches. Face-me-I-slap-you house story dey there. That one na season film. Trekking over 1 hour everyday to school dey there. Story for another day. Factory work palava nkor, abi na my labourer/bricklayer parole I wan talk. I've faced the hard life. I've faced the tough times. I've faced the bad days. I've persevered through them all. Grace found my preparations and sent me an opportunity, so people can call it luck.

No be me holy pass but I call myself the epitome of Grace. Started from the bottom, now I'm here.

lalasticlala, mynd44, Mukina2, crazyman, 1forall Perhaps, my story can motivate more people if you send it to the frontpage

Quite inspiring, kudos.
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by kayperry: 7:01pm On Oct 05, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. That is how close-minded Nigerians could be. I don’t blame them sha. If you are not going out everyday to inhale different body and mouth odours inside korope. That is before forgetting your change with conductor, Nigerians do not believe you are working.

We too like suffer for this country.

whatever it is you are doing for me to forget you must be strong than that voo-doo undecided

even winch don dey pray & fast undecided

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by pocohantas(f): 7:35pm On Oct 05, 2022
kayperry:

whatever it is you are doing for me to forget you must be strong than that voo-doo undecided

even winch don dey pray & fast undecided

I wish I had that time. I am actually quite busy. So it is not like I am doing anything. You just don’t see me around often or in threads your mental ability can allow you attack. Not forgetting you are busy selling agbado and cassava at APC rallies.

You don’t miss any opportunity to embarrass yourself - do you?

1 Like

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by KAM3KAZI: 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2022
Zyxsc:

After about 2 months, I was at my school library when I got an email from them, notifying me about a Java test I must pass to be able to join their validators. In my mind, I was like 'there's no way I can pass this'. All I can still build is a calculator. So I was about to pack my stuff and leave for my hostel. Then I heard a voice telling me, "Try it out. You have nothing to loose anyway". So I listened to the voice and opened my laptop again. The test is a timed, 3-level test with 3 trials per level. There is a beginner level, an intermediate level, and an advanced level. I attempted the beginner and in one try I passed because I was a beginner, of course. I proceeded to the intermediate level but I failed the first trial and the second trial. Lucky for me, I passed the second trial. I was so demoralised when I saw the first question of the advanced level. I didn't even understand what I just read. I told myself, "I'm not going to try find the right answer. I'll pick the first option I see". I only hear of such wonders; I've never being a witness to one. It was unbelievable to me when I saw a pass mark returned after my submission. I got in... a beginner programmer.

I secured a job in Lagos that pays me 100k as a mobile app developer (Flutter). That year was very tough year for me. My girlfriend got pregnant. I did my wedding. Got a baby girl and also got some debts on my neck. Loan apps wan finish me with insults. In 6 months, my salary increased to 150k. After one year, I switched companies. The new company started with the same salary because I didn't know how to negotiate salary. After 6 months, it was increased to 180k, but I was still disgruntled with the salary. Please learn the art of negotiating salary, regardless of the field you may found yourself.

I got an email asking me if I'm still interested in a job that I can't even remember when I applied for it. Of course, I'm still interested. Na you I dey wait for since all these days sef. So the CEO of the company arranged a meeting with me, interviewed me to see if I'm a culture fit. I no dey fail behavioural interviews again since I don fvck up for one behavioural interview lai dat. Next, i was sent a technical take-home assignment to do. That assignment mad. It took me 9 days of intense reading and 9 nights of sleepless night + frustration to solve the question. I finally completed it and sent them my solution. I interviewed with the CTO and the lead engineer. They loved the way I approached my solution, as well as the quality of my code. My code SOLID kpa.

Your story is amazing bro, I thank God for what he has done for you.
This is no small thing.

1 Like

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by Michella25: 9:35am On Oct 22, 2022
Congrats mannie.

I tap into your testimony
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by SuperOnyi: 12:21pm On Sep 09, 2023
shocked

@Zyxsc

My life story resonates with your past. I'm from a very poor background, being away from school for 5 years because I was persuaded into apprenticeship but it was hell. I had to leave.

I tried programming but I live alone and gotta pay the bills so I had to stop but I'm trying out Amazon kdp right now. I'm currently 21. Any advice for me 🙏.
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by vtuKiosk: 9:49pm On Sep 10, 2023
SuperOnyi:
shocked

@Zyxsc

My life story resonates with your past. I'm from a very poor background, being away from school for 5 years because I was persuaded into apprenticeship but it was hell. I had to leave.

I tried programming but I live alone and gotta pay the bills so I had to stop but I'm trying out Amazon kdp right now. I'm currently 21. Any advice for me 🙏.

How did you plan "Amazon KDP" to quickly sort out your bills?
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by SuperOnyi: 11:12pm On Sep 10, 2023
vtuKiosk:

How did you plan "Amazon KDP" to quickly sort out your bills?

shocked

I don't really understand your question but I know kdp isn't a get-rich-quick business but since writing is one of my hobbies, it was easy for me to give it a try.

I haven't started earning, I just uploaded my first book few days ago. By God's grace, I was able to do the formatting and cover design myself. So, I make out time to write and still go to work to pay the bills while I wait for a breakthrough.

1 Like

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by DenreleDave(m): 9:19pm On Sep 11, 2023
This is so inspiring

1 Like

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by 00y1: 9:21pm On Sep 12, 2023
Earn daily trading synthetic indices on deriv check free info on attached image

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by vtuKiosk: 12:37am On Sep 18, 2023
If you don't want to wait till "eternity" before earning from your writings, then don't start by writing for Jeff Bezos.

Start by writing for small business owners in developed nations through Upwork, Fiverr and the likes.

SuperOnyi:

shocked

I don't really understand your question but I know kdp isn't a get-rich-quick business but since writing is one of my hobbies, it was easy for me to give it a try.

I haven't started earning, I just uploaded my first book few days ago. By God's grace, I was able to do the formatting and cover design myself. So, I make out time to write and still go to work to pay the bills while I wait for a breakthrough.
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by SuperOnyi: 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2023
vtuKiosk:
If you don't want to wait till "eternity" before earning from your writings, then don't start by writing for Jeff Bezos.

Start by writing for small business owners in developed nations through Upwork, Fiverr and the likes.

shocked

I do have an upwork and Fiverr account but I don't understand them deeply. Fiverr keeps asking about my qualifications and last time, I tried creating a gig -- it didn't work.

Please sir, how long is the "eternity" you mentioned?
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by will01(m): 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2023
wow
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by parkervero(m): 5:57am On Sep 20, 2023
Inspiring!
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by wittywriter: 10:27am On Sep 20, 2023
SuperOnyi:

shocked

I do have an upwork and Fiverr account but I don't understand them deeply. Fiverr keeps asking about my qualifications and last time, I tried creating a gig -- it didn't work.

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by wittywriter: 10:30am On Sep 20, 2023
SuperOnyi:

shocked

You can pay someone as low as $5 to help you setup and position your upwork profile for gigs and reviews.

SuperOnyi:

shocked

Please where do I find that "someone"?

Post the request on fiverr or iif you belong to any whatsapp group of freelance writing you can post it there.
However if you are interested in a special paid mentorship that will help you key into other ways to earn as a writer via online then quote me with your email for furtherance.

Wittyness.
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by SuperOnyi: 10:44am On Sep 20, 2023
wittywriter:

You can pay someone as low as $5 to help you setup and position your upwork profile for gigs and reviews.

Wittyness.

shocked

Please where do I find that "someone"?
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by vtuKiosk: 3:02pm On Sep 22, 2023
Amazon KDP requires you to have an ad budget in place if your goal is to start earning immediately.

Upwork does not really need an ad budget before you can start earning, so you might want to focus on serving small business owners (US, Canada, etc) on these Platforms instead. After some months, you can include Amazon KDP.

It would also be a smart idea to write for 10 of these small business owners at once without asking a dime but requesting that they drop a comment and also put a word out there for you. Don't forget to research their business to know if it worth your labour.

Have the mind to deliver quality job for them despite being free. That way, your portfolio would be rich and start attracting those that would actually pay you. That subtle pitching would favour you. Those small business owners might also decide to retain you and start paying you.

Meanwhile, if you do not know your way around Fiverr or Upwork, why not practice some free tutorials on YouTube to perfect your skills?

SuperOnyi:

shocked

Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by SuperOnyi: 3:35pm On Sep 22, 2023
vtuKiosk:
Amazon KDP requires you to have an ad budget in place if your goal is to start earning immediately.

Upwork and the likes do not really need an ad budget before you can start earning, so you might want to focus on serving small business owners (US, Canada, etc) on these Platforms instead. After some months, you can include Amazon KDP.

It would also be a smart idea to write for 10 of these small business owners at once without asking a dime but requesting that they drop a comment and also put a word out there for you. Don't forget to research their business to know if it worth your labour.

Have the mind to deliver quality job for them despite being free. That way, your portfolio would be rich and start attracting those that would actually pay you. That subtle pitching would favour you. Those small business owners might also decide to retain you and start paying you.

Meanwhile, if you do not know your way around Fiverr or Upwork, why not practice some free tutorials on YouTube to perfect your skills?

shocked

I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm entitled or something. Can you mentor me? 🙏

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate. Although my hands are tied on my work that pays me very low and I can't stop since I live alone, I will surely do this.
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by vtuKiosk: 7:15pm On Sep 22, 2023
You're welcome.

Regarding mentorship, I'm so occupied if I would be honest with you. But you can easily get a mentor for free on YouTube. Also endeavour to keep using your weekends to practice the free tutorials you would have access to. You would be fine.

SuperOnyi:

shocked

I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm entitled or something. Can you mentor me? 🙏

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate. Although my hands are tied on my work that pays me very low and I can't stop since I live alone, I will surely do this.
Re: Started From The Bottom. Finally A 7-figure Earner by SuperOnyi: 11:38pm On Sep 22, 2023
vtuKiosk:
You're welcome.

Regarding mentorship, I'm so occupied if I would be honest with you. But you can easily get a mentor for free on YouTube. Also endeavour to keep using your weekends to practice the free tutorials you would have access to. You would be fine.

shocked

Thank you boss.

(1) (Reply)

Lng Aptitude Test / Which University In Nigeria Offers Msc. Banking And Finance Part Time?? / GNLD Has Killed Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.