Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,952 members, 7,810,638 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? (1423 Views)

Cohabitation: A Recipe For Successful Marriage - Live Debate - Group B / What Does Nigerian Law Says About "Cohabitation"? / Things Your Parents Wouldn't Approve Of You Doing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 16, 2011
Marriage is traditionally said to be legally recognised relationship btw an adult males and females that carries certain rights n obligations. However, in contemporary societies, marriage is sometimes interpreted more liberally, and the phrase 'living as married' indicates that for many purposes it makes no sense to exclude cohabitation.

Cohabitation is increasingly practised evrywhere esp In Nigeria and is seemingly turning to be a prelude to Marriage! angry

In your best Opinion, do u approve of Cohabitation and what do u tink could be the detriments of such practise?! undecided
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by harakiri(m): 8:30am On Aug 16, 2011
Go and research the history of marriage (especially the western marriage that the whole world copies). It was a customary arrangement that used to broker agreements over land,farm animals,sealing peace between different tribes/countries etc The man/woman involved had little or no say. There was nothing like courtship or love. Marriage was seen as a carnal/wordly ceremony and the church abstained from it. Fast forward some centuries and the church has realized the profits of joining man and wife. Fast forward a bit more, governments have realized the benefits of "legalizing" marriage. Read up before you post abeg. A lot of people in the US marry because of joint medical insurance,social security,retirement benefits etc . Do I need remind you that the only thing government declares illegal is something they can't gain from or TAX?
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by harakiri(m): 8:34am On Aug 16, 2011
Cohabitation existed long before foriegn religion,government and ideology spread all over the world. Get your facts right abeg.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 16, 2011
^^ I dont even get ya point in that, what u driving at?! undecided
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by harakiri(m): 8:44am On Aug 16, 2011
You don't get my point? Let me simplify it for you : You are talking abot cohabitation as if it's a new trend that's begun to spread. You talk about it as if it's immoral and unlawful. My point is, it has been going on long before democracy came to being and long before the slave buyers brought their religion called christianity to africa? Is my point clearer now? Or do I type in pidgin?
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 16, 2011
harakiri:

You don't get my point? Let me simplify it for you : You are talking abot cohabitation as if it's a new trend that's begun to spread. You talk about it as if it's immoral and unlawful. My point is, it has been going on long before democracy came to being and long before the slave buyers brought their religion called christianity to africa? Is my point clearer now? Or do I type in pidgin?

You're trying hard to make a point dear but i still notice a lot of flaws in ya thinking!

Sin have been existing from time Indefinite [Right from Adam's World] Yet it aint Acceptable, it aint a general accepted Phenomena, You did talk up about Having Cohabitation for a very long time ago and that it has been in practice That Virtually led to my asking since its been there for a very long time and has been practiced, do u take it as a well Practice that is worth getting the nod?! undecided undecided
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by N101: 10:39am On Aug 16, 2011
@ harakiri = cohabitation back in the day was nothing like it is today, you can't compare the two.

Cohabitation nowadays is dependent on the person's moral and ethical point of view - some wouldn't do it, others have no problem with it, whether it leads to marriage or not.

In any cohabiting arrangement, women have the most to lose but again, morally and ethically some people see nothing wrong with this arrangement. That's just my opinion.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by madoba: 12:20pm On Aug 16, 2011
Immoral Cohabitation, Hell No

I don't approve of it and I hope by God's grace I'll never be caught dead in it. I don't want to say I'll never do it because the adage Never say Never has given me a few hard knocks on the head.

The detriments in my opinion
1. It grossly hinders an effectual relationship with Christ
2. It creates issues (disrespect, contempt born out of familiarity),and it leaves baggages in cases where the cohabitation doesn't work out like low self esteem, bitterness, feelings of being used etc.
3. The milk is being gotten for free, what would be left of it much later? And besides the cow may not be bought afterwards.

I think it is an unhealthy way to carry on a relationship
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 16, 2011
Nice points On the detrimental part Madoba!

**Its a pity N.l havent got a smiley for thumbs up, i would have given u One**
grin
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:33am On Aug 17, 2011
Cohabitatn is wrong
That we hav gotten to d point of debating it at all, shows we are in trouble & our values messed up.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Bawss1(m): 5:49pm On Aug 17, 2011
Seriously let someone cite examples of cohabitation in traditional African societies. Just asking.

I think cohabitation is a modern invention for the so called liberal minded man. In a subtle way it undermines the sacredness of marriage.

Now having said all that I won't mind cohabiting with Kourtney Kadashian for the rest of my life.  cheesy
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by dayokanu(m): 5:59pm On Aug 17, 2011
I approve
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by chika98: 8:42pm On Aug 17, 2011
Of course the men will think it is a great idea.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by dayokanu(m): 11:33pm On Aug 17, 2011
Cohabitation at least 6 months before marriage
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Johndoe100(m): 2:03am On Aug 18, 2011
Yes, cohabitation is very neccesary. You get to know the real person. I keep meeting women amd wanting to cohabit with them for a few hours.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by ifyalways(f): 6:35am On Aug 18, 2011
No,I don't.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Bawss1(m): 7:20am On Aug 18, 2011
chika98:

Of course the men will think it is a great idea.

But the men cohabit with women, not so? It obviously takes 2 to tango here.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Bawss1(m): 7:22am On Aug 18, 2011
harakiri:

Cohabitation existed long before foriegn religion,government and ideology spread all over the world. Get your facts right abeg.

Where is the proof of that statement? Cohabitation is a relatively modern occurrence.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 18, 2011
^ Dont mind the atheist, he tot we are proving religion to xtremes! cheesy
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by xkillz(m): 9:39am On Aug 18, 2011
MY ANSWER IS NO!!!  This MIGHT be HELPFUL!!! smiley
“Among married individuals, premarital cohabitation is related to lower marital satisfaction, less time spent together in shared activities, higher levels of marital disagreement, less supportive behavior, less positive problem solving, [and]more reports of marital problems . . . Furthermore, compared with couples who enter directly into marriage, couples who cohabit first have a higher risk of marital dissolution [divorce]. ”As this study demonstrates, what might seem prudent from a human standpoint may in reality be very unwise.
“Parents who lived together before they married are almost twice as likely to separate,” states Canada’s National Post. Heather Juby, coauthor of a study conducted by Statistics Canada, said that researchers expected to find that having a child was a symbol of the parents’ commitment to each other. “But,” she noted, “the couples that are more open to cohabitation are also more open to separation.” The researchers found that 25.4 percent of those who cohabited before marrying separated, compared with 13.6 percent of parents who did not live together before marriage. “People who live together first have less stable relationships,” says Juby, “because people who were prepared to [co-habit] are people who perhaps value less the commitment to marriage.”
**** Unless of course you dont VALUE MARRIAGE, you are GOOD TO GO with COHABITATION!****
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 18, 2011
No way. I don't approve.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 18, 2011
@xkillz, i think the bolded partz in ya post could stil be proven wrong but definitely not by me, in other words nice contribution!
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by xkillz(m): 11:17am On Aug 18, 2011
Of course it could be PROVEN WRONG! Different stoke for different folks! But then somethings are obvious. . . . . .
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by nassiwa: 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2011
i don't approve cohabiting. People ought to follow right procedures to start staying together.
Re: Do You Approve Of Cohabitation? by nsodo: 2:54pm On Aug 31, 2011
Cohabitation is okay because you come to learn better the person you love before committing to each other and you learn all the ills of that person but the problem is that once your partner gets a problem or accidentally dies it becomes a big problem but generally it is fine.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Build Trust In My Relationship / Reflection On Growing Up - My Experience - Add Yours / When Are You Too Old To Cry Openly Over A Lost Loved One?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.