Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,741 members, 7,837,690 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Talking To The Wrong Customers - Can We Make It Work? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Talking To The Wrong Customers - Can We Make It Work? (184 Views)

What Is Google Analytics, How Does It Work, And Why You Should Have An account / We Make Durable Wooden Soap Mold With Divider In Various Sizes / Talking Drum Alujo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Talking To The Wrong Customers - Can We Make It Work? by TavershimaAyede(m): 9:21am On Oct 06, 2022
What do we do know when we know for sure that we are talking the wrong "potential customer"?

With all we have discussed so far, we only have two real options.

We can either refer to someone else, or politely decline the rest of the conversation.

If you are in a conversation with someone who doesn't need your product or service, and you have neither the skill set nor inventory to help them achieve their goals, then you are definitely talking to the wrong person.

It might also be that you guys are in synch with everything else EXCEPT money, then there's also really no reason to keep on having the conversation.

No amount of talking to a bad potential customer is going to turn that person into a lead for good business.

The traditional term for "potential customer" in sales and marketing circles is also known as a "prospect".

No amount of talking will turn a bad prospect into a good business lead.

Politely declining the conversation doesn't have to be anything difficult.

The principle is the same... use simple conversational and questioning techniques.

"Mr so and so, it looks like you want ABC to help out with XYZ, but none of those scenarios are covered by my packages. I don't see any reason why we should continue with this conversation do you? I don't see a way how I can help you here. Let me know if your circumstances change and I wish you all the best my brother! Thanks for reaching out. Have a wonderful day!"

This general approach would be fine... use the exact words that fit the context, your personality, and the level of rapport that you built up with the prospect.

Ideally it would be nice to be a helpful resource to everyone we come in contact with... that's just good networking and a nice to way to pile up good business karma.

Even when we can't help them out, it would be a good idea to refer to someone else who can.

If you want to refer them to someone else and then take a percentage of earnings on commission, then that's an option to you too.

Just be sure that when you refer to your friend or associate, be VERY CLEAR that you are expecting “something” in return.

But this is not an option you HAVE to explore.

Some people feel "icky" asking commissions or kickbacks from people that they send business to.

Because it would be a good idea to be helpful, it would be great if you have personal and professional contacts with other business people who are in fields similar to yours who can help out.

Let’s assume you are a professional painter.

If after talking to the customer, it seems that wooden veneers would be the best option for what they have in mind, then it would be absolutely magic if you have a few phone numbers of people who deal in wooden veneers, acrylics, and those other kinds of materials.

If it turns out to be a pleasant and helpful experience for everyone, the potential customer might remember you or refer some business to you for people who actually need nothing but paint.

If someone comes to you and it looks like acrylics or veneers are the ideal solution for them, don't try to sell them paint because that it all you offer.

If you do that you will end up with an unhappy customer in the future. Unhappy customers don't refer business. In fact some unhappy customers will slander your reputation.

If you sell them your paint you will also come across as unprofessional in the future.

Someone will definitely point it out to the customer some day that a true professional should have known that veneer would work better than paint.

If you sell paint and painting services, no amount of talking will turn that customer into a good customer for you.

What they need is veneer and acrylics for their walls.

Either politely decline the conversation and their business, or refer them to someone else who provides veneers and who you know will do a good job for them.

(1) (Reply)

Kanu’s Suit Against High Court Chief Judge On Secret Trial Struck Out By Justice / Powerful Life Learned Lessons On The Seasons Of Wealth And Financial Success. / Learn How To Play Gospel Fill Ins In Key Of F# Piano Tutorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.