Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! (5620 Views)

Mirror Boy Film Faces Controversy / Mirror Boy Rakes In Over N12m In One Week / Photos Of Genevieve’s Trip To Ghana For “mirror Boy” Movie Premiere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by HiMag: 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2011
http://himagazine.tv/articles/391/Mirror-Boy-Makes-Over-N12Million-In-First-Week!

Like a moving train, ‘Mirror Boy’ records strings of achievements everywhere it went. In London it was the first African movie to premiere at the prestigious Empire Leicester Square which earned it tons of praise and achievements and placed the Nigerian movie industry on the world stage. In Ghana, ‘Mirror Boy’ reigned so well to become the highest selling movie ever in the Ghanaian cinemas. Now, only in the first week at the Nigerian Cinemas, Mirror Boy has made over N12 million in sales.

Earning such an amount would not come as a surprise, as the movie since its grand premiere at the Silverbird Galleria on August 5, 2011, has garnered a lot of praise from the movie industry stake holders and movie lovers in general.

When asked to comment on the success of the Mirror Boy, producer Obi Emelonye said, ‘I am extremely glad. It is my desire that ‘Mirror Boy’ success in Nigeria surpasses the movie’s earlier successes because this is the homecoming of the movie. With ‘Mirror Boy’ I think we can further show the world that Nigeria is capable of making good movies’.

The film which was written, produced and directed by Obi Emelonye, is made up of a multi talented cast with the likes of Nigerian Genevieve Nnaji and Osita Iheme, The Gambia’s Fatima Jabbe, and Uganda’s Edward Kagutuzi. The movie revolves around the life of a 12 year old London born African boy Tijani who get sent back to his country of origin by his mother when he is involved in a street fight. Things take a dramatic turn when he gets lost in a crowded market in The Gambia after he witnesses an apparition in the mirror which leads him on a journey of self discovery through the forest and later re-emerges with a greater appreciation for his homeland and a better understanding of the relationship he has with the father he never met.

The Mirror Boy premiered in Lagos on August 5th amidst pomp and pageantry, with Nollywood stars and celebrities gracing the red carpet.

for hot Nigerian Entertainment news, visit www.himagazine.tv
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by rexfada(m): 7:47am On Aug 22, 2011
good to know our own nolly wood is breaking bounds. Bravo!
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by rhymz(m): 8:49am On Aug 22, 2011
That is what I am talking about. Nollywoods should take a step further than just making home videos that do not portray anything. Like seriously, if we have a good network of Cinemas in Nigeria-(not just silverbirds and a few others concentrated mainly in lagos) coupled with very good film production, I believe that 12million bucks will be surpassed in Nigeria alone not to talk of other African countries, europe and the Americas.
We need more Cinemas that can penetrate every nook and cranny of Nigeria not just lagos, portharcourt and Abuja. Even in these cities, the available cinemas can barely meet the demands. I find it a headache to have to move to Victoria island, lekki or Onikan just to see a movie, whatever happened to smaller but standard cinemas that used to be in virtually every LGA in lagos back then when indian, chinese and hollywoods action movies were the in thing. Mehn, investors should bring back those days jare! No be everybody get time and energy to dey drive go far just because u wan watch movies. I know a couple of states that will be hotcakes for cinema bizness if packaged well; Owerri, Enugu, calabar and so on. ese cities, the available cinemas can barely meet the demands. I find it a headache to have to move to Victoria island, lekki or Onikan just to see a movie, whatever happened to smaller but standard cinemas that used to be in virtually every LGA in lagos back then when indian, chinese and hollywoods action movies were the in thing. Mehn, investors should bring back those days jare! No be everybody get time and energy to dey drive go far just because u wan watch movies. I know a couple of states that will be hotcakes for cinema bizness if packaged well; Owerri, Enugu, calabar and so on.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by mbulela: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2011
I have seen the movie.
I am surprised at the amount being claimed at box office.
I would like to hear from someone else who has seen it.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by marcus1234: 9:11am On Aug 22, 2011
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 22, 2011
How true is this?
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by atasteve: 9:30am On Aug 22, 2011
Good product good think. smiley

Glad to know that Nollywood is going international already.

A piece of advise to Obi Emelonye, don't release a movie until you are sure that much thoughts/hard work has gone into it. You have set a name for yourself which you will have to uphold.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by wurdz: 10:53am On Aug 22, 2011
mbulela:

I have seen the movie.
I am surprised at the amount being claimed at box office.
I would like to hear from someone else who has seen it.

i am surprised too,

i saw the movie and my first tot was 'is this the same movie evribody have been raving about'?,
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by Orikinla(m): 11:15am On Aug 22, 2011
It is over N5million and not N12million in first week.

Only fools will believe the unverified Box Office figures from Nigerian cinemas, because the operators have been economical with the truth and they have no independent body to calculate and rate numbers of viewers at the cinemas or the number of tickets sold.

I received conflicting figures of Kunle Afolayan's The Figurine.

Can all the venues of the cinemas provide the receipts of the tickets sold?
Can the Nigerian  Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) provide the accurate tax returns like the IRS in the US?
Many Nigerians lie like fish drink water in the sea.

The following information of Box Office calculations will help those who are ignorant of the knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_office

Demand forecasting

Unless you are taking over a going concern, trying to estimate how many people might visit your venue can be a bit of a shot in the dark. There are however, industry average occupancy ratios to help which, alongside some benchmarking against existing cinemas, can help you develop a more accurate estimate. You will also need to undertake some careful market research to verify that there is in fact a sufficiently large number of cinema-goers living within a reasonable catchment area. Average occupancy rates decline as screen numbers increase. A single screen cinema of say, 250 seats which was exceptionally successful might achieve an occupancy rate of 30-40%. However, average rates for a 2, 3 or more screen venue are more likely to be in the 15-20% range. Calculating your potential box office revenue is then a relatively simple matter once you have pinned down an average ticket yield.
Example:

A 3 screen cinema configured as 250:150:90 seats, a 15% average occupancy rate and average ticket prices of £6 would take £409,968 per annum in box office revenue based on a total of 44 screenings per week (a seven day operation with two evening performances in each screen and a Sunday matinee double bill).

44 weekly performances spread as follows:

Screen 1 – 16 x 250 = 4,000

Screen 2 – 14 x 250 = 3,500

Screen 3 – 14 x 90 = 1,260

Total capacity = 8,760 seats per week x 52

weeks = 455,520 per annum

15% x 455,520 = 68,328 seats sold @ £6 each = £409,968

Another useful ‘rule of thumb’ is to look at average admissions per screen in the UK, at present around 50,000. This figure includes multiplexes as well as independent operators, and as the multiplexes have many more screens the figure is skewed downwards. Stand alone and independent cinemas often perform significantly better than this although it is unusual to average much more than 60,000 per screen.

The figure you should not use is the average per capita visits to cinema (currently 2.6) and multiply this by your catchment population. A huge proportion of UK box office, circa 30%, comes from the capital’s West End and so this average is heavily skewed away from the rest of the country.

Working out how many people might pass through your doors using industry standard ratios is only a rough guide. You need to provide evidence that your assumptions are realistic by conducting some kind of market research. If you are taking on a ‘going concern’ there will already be some indication about the venue’s potential audience size. However, if the venue is new or has been closed for some time, you need to find out if there are enough of the right kind of people (i.e. people who go regularly to the cinema) living within a realistic catchment area. Your catchment area is probably defined by drive-time but you also need to take into account local competition (see Chapter 3 – Establishing a catchment area).

http://www.independentcinemaoffice.org.uk/resources/how-to-start-a-local-cinema/economics-of-operation/demand-forecasting
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by semid4lyfe(m): 12:09pm On Aug 22, 2011
Hmmm. . ,  .haven't seen the movie but from the little I've seen from the trailer, it's a substandard movie and the acting was definitely not it. ie The scenes where the fat white boy was making fun of Genevieve's son, the fight between them, where Genevieve's son was slapped in the Market in Gambia etc all looked fake and unconvincing to me cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p3WjSD-tLs

Hell, even Aki's ''false'' bad tooth & dentition looked totally ridiculous and laughable to me. . . result of bad make-up IMO. Only thing real and convincing to me (from the trailer) was Genevieve's crying and tears and that ain't surprising as na Nollywood actress she be grin

All in all, the trailer does not inspire and motivate me to go watch it @ the Cinema or buy it when it's released on DVD. . .and this is what a trailer is supposed to do

Lastly, why did Obi Emelonye write, direct and produce the movie? Does he have a problem with the concepts of ''division of labour'' and ''professionalism''? sad

As far as me dey concerned, na typical Nollywood movie shot (in London & Gambia) with high-definition equipments and made with better technology than most Nollywood productions but the acting and performances get big comma

Nothing spectacular about the movie and it's definitely not worth a visit to the cinema is my humble opinion

Oya, make una begin bash me, label me unpatriotic and dey call me names tongue
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by wurdz: 12:16pm On Aug 22, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Hmmm. . , .haven't seen the movie but from the what I've seen from the trailer, it's a substandard movie and the acting was definitely not it. ie The scene where the fat white boy was making fun of Genevieve's son, the fight between them, where Genevieve's son was slapped in the Market in Gambia all looked fake and unconvincing to me cry

Hell, even Aki's ''false'' bad tooth & dentition looked totally ridiculous and laughable to me. . . result of bad make-up IMO. Only thing real and convincing to me (from the trailer) was Genevieve's crying and tears and that ain't surprising as na Nollywood actress she be grin

All in all, the trailer does not inspire and motivate me to go watch it @ the Cinema or buy it when it's released on DVD. . .and this is what a trailer is supposed to do

Lastly, why did Obi Emelonye write, direct and produce the movie? Does he have a problem with the concepts of ''division of labour'' and ''professionalism''? sad

As far as me dey concerned, na typical Nollywood movie shot in London & Gambia with high-definition equipments and made with better technology than most Nollywood productions but the acting and performances get big comma

Nothing spectacular about the movie and it's definitely not worth a visit to the cinema is my humble opinion

unfortunately, i agree with you.

i felt cheated watching d movie,
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by blank(f): 1:26pm On Aug 22, 2011
Movie is only worth watching on Wednesdays when it is N600 and even then, i would rather buy a pack of rice. The movie is even more boring than normal Nollywood movie. I felt so cheated when i watched it.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by semid4lyfe(m): 2:49pm On Aug 22, 2011
blank:
Movie is only worth watching on Wednesdays when it is N600 and even then, i would rather buy a pack of rice. The movie is even more boring than normal Nollywood movie. I felt so cheated when i watched it.

Really, the Cinemas should have some standard and shouldn't be an all comers/every producer/every movie affair. Too many mediocre and wack films (Nigerian & Foreign) are shown at the Cinema these days.  eg Mirror Boy, Dangerous Men, that Stephanie Okereke film about a baby etc

Small time, Funke Akindele go do ''Jennifer Reloaded'' and take it to the cinema. . . .Nonsense tongue
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by cutesy(f): 2:51pm On Aug 22, 2011
Boy oh boy grin I just love Nairaland grin grin grin grin
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by londoner: 3:33pm On Aug 22, 2011
I watched it when it was in London, what a disappointment! It was over-hyped and never lived up to my expectation at all.

The acting was also substandard and unconvincing in many parts. One good thing about the movie, was that it gave Nollywood the chance to explore the marketing/advertising/cinema side of movie making.

Off topic, has anyone watched Anchor Baby?
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by blank(f): 4:35pm On Aug 22, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Really, the Cinemas should have some standard and shouldn't be an all comers/every producer/every movie affair. Too many mediocre and wack films (Nigerian & Foreign) are shown at the Cinema these days.  eg Mirror Boy, Dangerous Men, that Stephanie Okereke film about a baby etc

Small time, Funke Akindele go do ''Jennifer Reloaded'' and take it to the cinema. . . .Nonsense tongue

Tell them o. I remember watching a movie with Robert De Niro called Stone. It was so pissass boring. When it ended, everyone turned and looked at each other as in, "is that it"? That was how i felt about the mirror boy. Felt like going to ask for a refund though no refunds for my time that i can't ever get back.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by Natasha2(f): 4:48pm On Aug 22, 2011
londoner:

I watched it when it was in London, what a disappointment! It was over-hyped and never lived up to my expectation at all.

The acting was also substandard and unconvincing in many parts. One good thing about the movie, was that it gave Nollywood the chance to explore the marketing/advertising/cinema side of movie making.

nah not yet but i've seen the trailer guess its gonna be a great movie or . .
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by MMM2(m): 1:22pm On Aug 23, 2011
dat some change
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by mbulela: 3:17pm On Aug 23, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Hmmm. . , .haven't seen the movie but from the little I've seen from the trailer, it's a substandard movie and the acting was definitely not it. ie The scenes where the fat white boy was making fun of Genevieve's son, the fight between them, where Genevieve's son was slapped in the Market in Gambia etc all looked fake and unconvincing to me cry

As far as me dey concerned, na typical Nollywood movie shot (in London & Gambia) with high-definition equipments and made with better technology than most Nollywood productions but the acting and performances get big comma

it is amazing how you have not watched the movie but your conclusions are so apt.
i have not seen a movie (either nollywood or foreign) in a while and decided to see one at the cinema.chose a MIRROR BOY and it was 120 mins of my life that i can never regain again.
I was completely gutted.
Genevive must have been blckmailed into acting in that movie.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 24, 2011
That imp guy sef grin
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by mcsnup: 2:32am On Dec 26, 2013
kia nairalanders ona no go kill me, the movies ain't that bad...i saw it at the cinema and i must say you have to give the movies a pass, there is literally no movie that does not come wit it flops even 24 get him own.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by VillageBoi(m): 3:02am On Dec 27, 2013
londoner:
Yes, not a bad film at all. Far, far better than Mirror Boy.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by joywendy(f): 12:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
VillageBoi:
really? was it dat bad
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by naijawarrior(m): 1:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Omo that na better money o! Even if you don't like the movie, at least the producer recupperated his hard work and sweat? Or abi no be so? Let's not hate! Thank Baba God! You too much! Naija must prosper!
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by VillageBoi(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
joywendy: really? was it dat bad
Not sure what you are asking... Just incase what I wrote is added below...

VillageBoi:
Written to someone asking if anyone had seen 'Anchor Baby'.

I didn't imply the 'level' of bad that Mirror Boy was... wink
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by joywendy(f): 6:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
@villageboi. so sorry about that. I didnt read ur post properly. My sincere apologies.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by VillageBoi(m): 9:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
joywendy: @villageboi. so sorry about that. I didnt read ur post properly. My sincere apologies.
It's ok, no problem. No I didn't like 'Mirror Boy' just incase that helps answer your question.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by joywendy(f): 9:39pm On Dec 27, 2013
VillageBoi:
It's ok, no problem. No I didn't like 'Mirror Boy' just incase that helps answer your question.
Not exactly though.Thanks smiley
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by VillageBoi(m): 10:20pm On Dec 27, 2013
joywendy: Not exactly though.Thanks smiley
If you get the film then do watch it because 'likes or dislikes' are subjective. Do let us know what you think if you see it.
Re: Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week! by joywendy(f): 10:30pm On Dec 27, 2013
VillageBoi:
If you get the film then do watch it because 'likes or dislikes' are subjective. Do let us know what you think if you see it.
I have seen the movie, the acting didn't real and I felt that towards the end it was rushed.so the movie was just in the middle.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Special Effects: CGI Versus Animatronics, Models, Stop Motion? / Oprah Winfrey Show / Behind The Scenes Photos Of A Nollywood Film

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.