Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,996 members, 7,828,520 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? (518 Views)

Pastor Mensa Otabil On Speaking In Tongues Then And Now- What's Different Now? / Speaking In Tongues (glossolalia) Is Bullshit / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 9:48am On Oct 09, 2022
Glossolalia: speaking in a “spiritual language” that does not correspond with any known human language.
It’s not based on linguistics or any facts. It is purely a belief.

Glossolalia is pseudo-speech; it is not real language, and it has no grammatical structure or associated meaning. It is gibberish intended to simulate and demonstrate a “divine” gift.

Professional linguists have studied glossolalia and have proved that it has none of the structure of a true language: the sounds used are taken from real languages that the speaker knows; grammar is lacking, or is a parody of the grammar of a language known to the speaker. Meaning is whatever the speaker says that it is.

Glossolalia is not peculiar to Christianity; shamans also do it in their ceremonies. Something similar is also done by comedians imitating a foreign language for comic effect, e.g. speaking ‘Swedish’ or ‘French’ or ‘Japanese’ when in reality they are using nonsense syllables arranged, pronounced, and intoned as in the language they are imitating. Some people are much better at producing pseudo-speech than others: some so good that naïve people are fooled into believing that they are really speaking a language.

While we have Xenolalia: speaking in a human language other than your native one.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by NNTR: 9:58am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:
Glossolalia: speaking in a “spiritual language” that does not correspond with any known human language.

While we have Xenolalia: speaking in a human language other than your native one.
Please how do you mean glossolalia: speaking in a “spiritual language”'?

Give biblical verse(s) to support your response with.
Thanks in advance

cc Acehart

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 10:00am On Oct 09, 2022
NNTR:
Please how do you mean glossolalia: speaking in a “spiritual language”'?

Give biblical verse(s) to support your response with. Thanks in advance

cc Acehart

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_in_tongues
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by JASONjnr(m): 10:06am On Oct 09, 2022
My opinion is that speaking in tongues has to do with someone speaking in a language that the person doesn't know while passing a message to the person who's mother tongues is with that language.....

But the speaking in tongues in 5his country often sound the same and has no meaning.....

They go like.....Bra Ka la ba SA ba la sa Ka alaba su Ru la sa Ka ala ta....

Just nonsense.

You'd see them go to church for decades and nothing will change in them and the next thing you see is them becoming pastors to begin to lie and collect offerings.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by NNTR: 10:17am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

I need you to articulate in your own words, and not sign-post me to a second party account

This is a mano a mano, aka poster to poster interaction, and not poster piggybacking and riding on hyperlink(s), that is showing someone's else intellectual property (i.e. someone's credit and creativity)

Try to be original. Dont be dependent on hyperlinks like h t t ps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_in_tongues

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 10:18am On Oct 09, 2022
NNTR:
I need you to articulate in your own words, and not sign-post me to a second party account

This is a mano a mano, aka poster to poster interaction, and not poster piggybacking and riding on hyperlink(s), that is showing someone's else intellectual property (i.e. someone's credit and creativity)

Try to be original. Dont be dependent on hyperlinks like h t t ps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_in_tongues

Is the Christian bible called New Testament not a Catholic intellectual property?
Riding on random books written by UNKNOWN AUTHORS.

Try to be original. Dont be dependent on Catholic epistles that has been forged, redacted, edited and corrected.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by NNTR: 10:30am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:
Is the Christian bible called New Testament not a Catholic intellectual property?
The Bible itself is not a Catholic intellectual property and the Catholic aka RCC have no copyrights to the bible, meaning, it doesnt claim copyrights to it

So please I reiterate that, I need you to articulate in your own words, and not sign-post me to a second party account

Now beloved, lease how do you mean glossolalia: speaking in a “spiritual language”'?

Thanks in advance

cc Acehart
PS: Must give this caveat. If you come up short, then you'll have the thread to yourself (i.e. will just ignore you)

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 10:31am On Oct 09, 2022
NNTR:
The Bible itself is not a Catholic intellectual property and the Catholic aka RCC have no copyrights to the bible, meaning, it doesnt claim copyrights to it

So please I reiterate that, I need you to articulate in your own words, and not sign-post me to a second party account

Now beloved, lease how do you mean glossolalia: speaking in a “spiritual language”'?

Thanks in advance

cc Acehart
PS: Must give this caveat. If you come up short, then you'll have the thread to yourself (i.e. will just ignore you)

Bible means books. The Christian bible called New Testament is a Catholic intellectual property.

Try to be original. Dont be dependent on Catholic epistles that has been forged, redacted, edited and corrected.

Which Bible VERSION are you using?

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2022
NNTR:

Thanks in advance

cc Acehart

And not to forget, the first Christian book called codex sinaiticus is the most DOCTORED AND EDITED DOCUMENT IN HISTORY.
Have knowledge on the books you are basing your life on.

You asked for book verses and i gave you this:

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 11:34am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

Bible verses. Do you get the impression that when you speak to “Christians” or “Church goers”, hyperlinks don’t drive home your point? Have you ever gone to the market and showed the meat seller the size of meat you want by showing him a picture on your phone that describes the size of meat you want to buy?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

Bible means books. The Christian bible called New Testament is a Catholic intellectual property.

Which Bible VERSION are you using?

Sir, what does the word “Catholic” mean?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

Bible verses. Do you get the impression that when you speak to “Christians” or “Church goers”, hyperlinks don’t drive home your point? Have you ever gone to the market and showed the meat seller the size of meat you want by showing him a picture on your phone that describes the size of meat you want to buy?

Bible means books.
Do you think quoting random books that has been edited and doctored and written by UNKNOWN AUTHORS drive any reasonable points to intellectuals?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

Sir, what does the word “Catholic” mean?

General.

Sir, What does the word “bible” mean?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 11:37am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

Bible means books.
Do you think quoting random books that has been edited and doctored and written by UNKNOWN AUTHORS drive any reasonable points to intellectuals?

I like how you appraise yourself, intellectual? What’s your highest level of education?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 11:38am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

I like how you appraise yourself, intellectual? What’s your highest level of education?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 11:39am On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

Theist, What do you understand by “intellectual”?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 11:43am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

General.
Sir, What does the word “bible” mean?

If you say it’s means “General”, who then takes credit for an intellectual property for the “General”?

If you are in intellectual, you should know what the word “Bible” means. You should know of the works of Paidoussis, Giffis, Mayhew etc. and you would know the right word to describe their works.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 11:45am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

Theist, What do you understand by “intellectual”?

Please, whisper to me what your highest education level is?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 11:45am On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

If you say it’s means “General”, who then takes credit for an intellectual property for the “General”?

If you are in intellectual, you should know what the word “Bible” means. You should know of the works of Paidoussis, Giffis, Mayhew etc. and you would know the right word to describe their works.

“General” is a latin word.

Are you saying you have no intellect that’s why you asked me what “Catholic” means?

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 11:46am On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

Please, whisper to me what your highest education level is?

And who are you?
How can you “whisper” through text. That’s dumb.
Are you educated atall?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by paxonel(m): 11:49am On Oct 09, 2022
It is scam

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 11:59am On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

And who are you?
Are you educated atall?

You called yourself an intellectual. How many works have you published and who were your publishers?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 11:59am On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

You called yourself an intellectual. How many works have you published and who were your publishers?

What has intellectual got to do with publishing?
What do you understand by “intellectual”?
Are you educated atall?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 12:00pm On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

What’s your highest level of education? What did you major in and from what school?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 12:01pm On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

What’s your highest level of education? What did you major in and from what school?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 12:02pm On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

Are you educated atall?

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 12:03pm On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

Are you educated atall?
Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Acehart: 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

Are you educated atall?

You appraised yourself to be an intellectual yet you don’t know the meaning of the word “whisper”, entirely. If you don’t know the meaning of a known word in its entirely, how can you know an “unknowable” God?

Let me help you: look at one of its meaning (second definition) in the picture. I drop my mic �, intellectual.

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynmann: 12:11pm On Oct 09, 2022
Acehart:

You appraised yourself to be an intellectual yet you don’t know the meaning of the word “whisper”, entirely. If you don’t know the meaning of a known word in its entirely, how can you know an “unknowable” God?

Let me help you: look at one of its meaning (second definition) in the picture. I drop my mic �, intellectual.
Theist, How can you “whisper” through text. That’s dumb.
Are you educated atall?
Publisher grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Lukuluku69(m): 12:18pm On Oct 09, 2022
Maynmann:

Glossolalia is pseudo-speech; it is not real language, and it has no grammatical structure or associated meaning. It is gibberish intended to simulate and demonstrate a “divine” gift.

Professional linguists have studied glossolalia and have proved that it has none of the structure of a true language: the sounds used are taken from real languages that the speaker knows; grammar is lacking, or is a parody of the grammar of a language known to the speaker. Meaning is whatever the speaker says that it is.

Glossolalia is not peculiar to Christianity; shamans also do it to in their ceremonies. Something similar is also done by comedians imitating a foreign language for comic effect, e.g. speaking ‘Swedish’ or ‘French’ or ‘Japanese’ when in reality they are using nonsense syllables arranged, pronounced, and intoned as in the language they are imitating. Some people are much better at producing pseudo-speech than others: some so good that naïve people are fooled into believing that they are really speaking a language.

Speaking in "Tongues" the way it is understood by our Christian friends is to be able to utter "scrabavbaavdvsvsgdgxv" while speaking to The Deity.

But was this way it used to be with the early Christians? I would say no based on the Text of the Christian Bible.

Tongues/ speaking in them simply means speaking another of the numerous human languages God has blessed humanity with other than the Language of the Hebrews who are the Authors of the Many Books of the "Book" ( Bible)

If you read the account of the Pentacoast, when the Apostle begin to speak in "Tongues", we read that Arabs and other ethnic Nationalities could make out the words and recognize them as their own Language and not the hdhdghdgdhdhdhdhdhsh we hear now.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On "Speaking In Tongues" Or Glossolalia? by Maynman: 6:31pm On Aug 07, 2023
If you listen to the people “speaking in tongues” you will hear the sarcastic tone underneath, they are also amused by the rubbish.

Glossolalia, a phenomenon sometimes referred to as “ecstatic utterances,” is the uttering of unintelligible, language-like sounds while in a state of ecstasy.

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Science / Historical Masjid Built By A Christian For Muslims In Osogbo / T.B.JOSHUA.I Would Have Listened To Him.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.