Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,143 members, 7,821,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? (24604 Views)

Unlimited Data Plans For Cell Phones / 10 Horrific Deaths Caused By Cell Phones / ''Keeping Cell Phones Near The Head Is Dangerous'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by passyjango(m): 10:29pm On Aug 23, 2011
I think a bit of education is required here. First of all it is important to know that mobile phones have different platforms. For a category of mobile phones called smartphones the major platforms include Android, Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows Phone and iOS.

Apple iPhone is based on iOS,
BlackBerry phones run BlackBerry OS,
Motorola, Samsung Galaxy, Sony Ericsson, some HTC, some LG, run Android
Nokia runs Symbian, MeeGo, and will soon add Wndows phone OS to the mix.

So, just because a phone does not run Android those not make it inferior to others. Every OEM chooses the platform to go for and seek license to use it.

There are also phones called feature phones, which if you ask me are smartphones based on my own definition of smartphones which is any phone that can easily download and run a third party application. Nokia feature phones are based on Series 40 platform eg. include the very popular 5130 Xpressmusic which according the Opera state of the mobile web of May, 2011 is the second most popular phone used for browsing internet in Nigeria, second only to another Nokia Series 40 based phone, the Nokia 2700c.

It is also important to note that the top ten phones are all Nokia phones. This gives credence to the fact that Nokia is still the most popular at least for internet enabled phones in Nigeria here is the list:

Nokia 2700c
Nokia 5130 XpressMusic
Nokia 2690
Nokia 3110c
Nokia N72
Nokia 2330c
Nokia X2
Nokia C1
Nokia C3
Nokia 2600c

Some of you may still want to argue that this is so because only Nokia users use Opera mini, so I will provide the top ten phones for United States as quality control. Here are the top ten phones used for browsing the web in the United States:

Apple iPhone
LG VM265
LG VM510
BlackBerry 8520 “Curve”
BlackBerry 9700 “Bold”
HTC EVO 4G
BlackBerry 8530 “Curve”
Alcatel OT-800
BlackBerry 8330 “Curve”
BlackBerry 9630 “Tour”

The problem with some of us is that we read something in foreign tech news sources like Engadget and Cnet and we believe to be true. Just because Nokia is no longer selling so much in the US does not mean it does not sell in Nigeria. Nokia still has the largest user base in Nigeria, so if are an app developer and you are developing for BlackBerry without first developing for Nokia, you must be sick in the head (especially if your target is Nigeria).

Nokia Series 40 is the dominant platform in Nigeria for any serious developer that wants millions to access their application, then Symbian, then Android and BlackBerry should sort out themselves for third place (Android will be taking the third spot soon and maybe even challenge for the second spot).

http://www.opera.com/smw/2011/05/
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by donchucky21(m): 1:07am On Aug 24, 2011
passyjango:

I think a bit of education is required here. First of all it is important to know that mobile phones have different platforms. For a category of mobile phones called smartphones the major platforms include Android, Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows Phone and iOS.

Apple iPhone is based on iOS,
BlackBerry phones run BlackBerry OS,
Motorola, Samsung Galaxy, Sony Ericsson, some HTC, some LG, run Android
Nokia runs Symbian, MeeGo, and will soon add Wndows phone OS to the mix.

So, just because a phone does not run Android those not make it inferior to others. Every OEM chooses the platform to go for and seek license to use it.

There are also phones called feature phones, which if you ask me are smartphones based on my own definition of smartphones which is any phone that can easily download and run a third party application. Nokia feature phones are based on Series 40 platform eg. include the very popular 5130 Xpressmusic which according the Opera state of the mobile web of May, 2011 is the second most popular phone used for browsing internet in Nigeria, second only to another Nokia Series 40 based phone, the Nokia 2700c.

It is also important to note that the top ten phones are all Nokia phones. This gives credence to the fact that Nokia is still the most popular at least for internet enabled phones in Nigeria here is the list:

Nokia 2700c
Nokia 5130 XpressMusic
Nokia 2690
Nokia 3110c
Nokia N72
Nokia 2330c
Nokia X2
Nokia C1
Nokia C3
Nokia 2600c

Some of you may still want to argue that this is so because only Nokia users use Opera mini, so I will provide the top ten phones for United States as quality control. Here are the top ten phones used for browsing the web in the United States:

Apple iPhone
LG VM265
LG VM510
BlackBerry 8520 “Curve”
BlackBerry 9700 “Bold”
HTC EVO 4G
BlackBerry 8530 “Curve”
Alcatel OT-800
BlackBerry 8330 “Curve”
BlackBerry 9630 “Tour”

The problem with some of us is that we read something in foreign tech news sources like Engadget and Cnet and we believe to be true. Just because Nokia is no longer selling so much in the US does not mean it does not sell in Nigeria. Nokia still has the largest user base in Nigeria, so if are an app developer and you are developing for BlackBerry without first developing for Nokia, you must be sick in the head (especially if your target is Nigeria).

Nokia Series 40 is the dominant platform in Nigeria for any serious developer that wants millions to access their application, then Symbian, then Android and BlackBerry should sort out themselves for third place (Android will be taking the third spot soon and maybe even challenge for the second spot).

http://www.opera.com/smw/2011/05/

[center]Thank u very much 4 educating those dogmatic ppo who thinks because they have blackberry they are more in number, dumb ass, mtcheeeeeew[/center]
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by master2(m): 5:48am On Aug 24, 2011
rman:

1, China phones(techno n co)
2, NOKIA
3, Blackberry
4, Samsung
5, LG
thats true but i think samsung comes b4 blackberry.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by master2(m): 6:00am On Aug 24, 2011
dadicvila:

how many nigerians hav seen iphone not to talk of using it,some people are just funny

NOKIA
CHINA PHONE
SAMSUNG
BLACKBERRY
LG
U just spoke my mind. Ppl just mention iPhone as if its that common. Since i got to knw about iPhone i've seen only 3 ppl using it and it was sent to them from abroad. One of the guys had to sell his own to buy Nokia E71. Ur order of top phones is the reality.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Nymphnode(m): 4:31am On Aug 25, 2011
Nokia torch Chinko ZTE/Huawei every one with a land line must have one Samsung
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by eyer(m): 6:51am On Aug 25, 2011
1. Blackberry
2. Nokia
3. LG
4. Iphones
5. Samsung

Well to compare prices of this phones in Nigeria online, I may suggest you visit http://www.ngpricehunter.com
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by lynxnoon(m): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2011
Chinko
Nokia
Blackberry
Hauwei / ZTE (land lines)
Samsung
Techno
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 10:26am On Sep 17, 2011
The most used phone in Nigerian un-arguably Nokia. It's the toyota of mobile phone and vice-versa.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by ignis: 8:38pm On Sep 17, 2011
Techno
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 2:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
wow alot of competition
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:08am On Aug 26, 2012
GMcompere: 1. Chinko Nokia
2. Chinko Berry
3. Chinko iphone
4. Chinko samsung
5. Chinko nameless grin grin grin grin grin grin

Are you one of us
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:11am On Aug 26, 2012
Lexusgs430:

Show me your friends, and I will tell you the kind of person you are !!!!!
What you should be saying is, most of your friends use chinko phones, 50 % of my friends use Iphones. (before you comment, I have so so many friends ) !!!!

Read the question(topic) again and stop flaunting yourself here.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 26, 2012
sofeco: Where did U guys put HTC?.

HTC is a good phone but the question says (........read it again).
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Electronzeez(m): 1:23am On Jun 18, 2013
This is actually the topic i draged with a friend of mine today in skool.which phone model is dominant in nigeria/africa.its laughable when he said tecno.i had to take it serious with him coz i cant stand it.yes tecno is the fastest selling smartphone in nigeria i repeat fastest selling smartphone and for tecno to be dominant in nigerian then it gat go in to small phones with gud quality has its posses in her smartphone and nt d usual chinko tenco of then..as far as nigeria/africa is concern,do not under estimate d strength of NOKIA.d most dominant.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 2:21am On Jul 12, 2013
I'm suspecting the Iphone will be the number one in the future
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 12, 2013
GMcompere: 1. Chinko Nokia
2. Chinko Berry
3. Chinko iphone
4. Chinko samsung
5. Chinko nameless grin grin grin grin grin grin
lol...yu r on point jorr
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by sBACH(m): 4:14pm On Aug 01, 2013
Tecno don land
-P3
-N3
-Q1
-F7
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by maquiserandy: 6:46am On Aug 02, 2013
My top 5 uses phone in nigeria

Blackberry
Nokia
Techno
HTC
IPhone
Add ur own to complete hundred.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by ibietela2(m): 12:46pm On Aug 02, 2013
For low end phone its

Nokia
Tecno/other Chinese phones
Samsung
LG
Others

For Smartphones =

Samsung
BlackBerry
Tecno
LG
Nokia
HTC/SONY/others

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by uobimba(m): 2:24pm On Aug 02, 2013
good day friends,pls i want to know d best selling nokia phones and their prices.what s d cost of 8gb 16gb 32gb memory card in d market.thanks 4 a hopeful reply
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Emmyk(m): 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2013
In this order

Nokia
Samsung
Blackberry
Techno
Sagem cheesy
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by kedavra(m): 8:29pm On Jan 19, 2015
for all things android and the latest cheats on all networks, check out http://www.ibloggtech.com
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by focus7: 11:02pm On Jan 19, 2015
Lexusgs430:
(1) Blackberry
(2) Nokia
(3) Iphones
(4) Samsung
(5) Sony Ericsson

My perception
iphone is a hype, only few people use it. You like it or not, Techno is one of the most use phone in Nigeria, it will surprise u that is more used than many of the phones u list here.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Cell Phones Used In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 12:13am On Jan 20, 2015
focus7:
iphone is a hype, only few people use it. You like it or not, Techno is one of the most use phone in Nigeria, it will surprise u that is more used than many of the phones u list here.

This thread was created in 2011, and my reply was based on the demand in 2011 !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Google Officially Launches Android One / How Many Of Us Are Still Active On Bbm? / Screenshot And Post Your Data Usage In November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.