Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? (581 Views)

The Hypocrisy In Christians (a Must Read) / Reno Omokri Visits Cappadocia Caves Where Christians Hid From Persecution / Facebook Is Gradually Becoming Unsafe For Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by Tamaratonye1(f): 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2022
I'm eliding the difference between Christian behavior as practiced by individuals with that which the religion of Christianity itself is responsible for enabling, but that's to a point. It's said that one should not judge a philosophy by its abuse, and that's certainly a valid point, but said in defense of Christian bigotry it implicitly asserts that such behavior represents an abuse of the philosophy advocated instead of a true expression of it, and while either might be the case, the question is not settled by merely asserting your chosen answer, implicitly or explicitly.

So my question is - is bigotry in its followers a bug, a feature, or simply incidental to Christianity?

6 Likes

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by fman(m): 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2022
Tamaratonye1:
I'm eliding the difference between Christian behavior as practiced by individuals with that which the religion of Christianity itself is responsible for enabling, but that's to a point. It's said that one should not judge a philosophy by its abuse, and that's certainly a valid point, but said in defense of Christian bigotry it implicitly asserts that such behavior represents an abuse of the philosophy advocated instead of a true expression of it, and while either might be the case, the question is not settled by merely asserting your chosen answer, implicitly or explicitly.

So my question is - is bigotry in its followers a bug, a feature, or simply incidental to Christianity?
Na you sabi

1 Like

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by 1000WaysToLive(m): 6:17pm On Oct 10, 2022
It's a feature.

It's an organizing principle meant to benefit the in group in any number of ways.

Christianity directly outcompeted (and physically destroyed) any number of other religious movements that lacked this feature...and was especially interested in eradicating those that rejected their claim to divine exclusivity.

Bad actors have an inherent advantage in the religious marketplace.

They offer products and services that other market actors will not, do not, or could not.

Tamaratonye1:

2 Likes

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by chryssanthe(f): 8:14pm On Oct 10, 2022
As much as I agree with the meme posted, there are atheist who are also bigots. Not as many though. Atheists may not see any evidence of a god but that doesn't preclude some of them from being bigots.

4 Likes

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by Near1: 9:42pm On Oct 10, 2022
I know many religious folk, Christians included, who aren't bigots. But it does make a good fig-leaf for those bigots who have the faith as well.

Feature or bug? I bet that relies on the individual believer and what their tolerance or bigotry levels are.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by Silverseed: 4:42am On Oct 11, 2022
None of the above: part of human nature

(later) Bigotry is in the eye of the beholder. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:28am On Oct 11, 2022
Another Attack on Christians and Christianity!
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:29am On Oct 11, 2022
Silverseed:

grin
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:38am On Oct 11, 2022
Tamaratonye1:
...So my question is - is bigotry in its followers a bug, a feature, or simply incidental to Christianity?

A house stands firm and eternal on a solid ground so it is unreasonable to expect that a person who knows what he suffered to acquire a very good House would thereafter abandon it because people outside the house said so.

Or after travelling with God is Good Motors 2020 Hiace bus, a person then comes to recommend a travel with Mercedes Benz 1414 bus? Never! grin
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 5:07am On Oct 14, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

Source: https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=7883&pid=378451#pid378451

1 Like

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 7:17am On Oct 14, 2022
Some people might want to know, some posts in this forum are being copied and pasted into another one, and answers to them are being copied and pasted from there to here by Tamaratonye1, Chryssanthe, and Silverseed.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by Maynmann: 8:07am On Oct 14, 2022
chryssanthe:
As much as I agree with the meme posted, there are atheist who are also bigots. Not as many though. Atheists may not see any evidence of a god but that doesn't preclude some of them from being bigots.

How are atheists “bigot”?

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by LordReed(m): 8:37am On Oct 14, 2022
Bigotry is a feature of any religion that has as part of its dogma any form of separation. Muslims, Christians, Hindus, etc frequently espouse bigoted views because of their religious tenets.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by triplechoice(m): 10:33am On Oct 14, 2022
ReubenSandwich:
Some people might want to know, some posts in this forum are being copied and pasted into another one, and answers to them are being copied and pasted from there to here by Tamaratonye1, Chryssanthe, and Silverseed.

I have always suspected the monikers Tamaratonye1 and Chryssanthe to be the same person.
The writing style is almost, if not, exactly the same

Now this copy and paste matter...... well let me keep my thoughts to myself until later.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 11:13am On Oct 14, 2022
1000WaysToLive:
It's a feature.

It's an organizing principle meant to benefit the in group in any number of ways.

Christianity directly outcompeted (and physically destroyed) any number of other religious movements that lacked this feature...and was especially interested in eradicating those that rejected their claim to divine exclusivity.

Bad actors have an inherent advantage in the religious marketplace.

They offer products and services that other market actors will not, do not, or could not.

This was copied and pasted from another forum: https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=7883&pid=378493#pid378493

1 Like

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 11:19am On Oct 14, 2022
chryssanthe:

copied and pasted from another forum: https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=7883&pid=378589#pid378589

1 Like

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 11:21am On Oct 14, 2022
Silverseed:

copied and pasted from another forum: https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=7883&pid=378644#pid378644

1 Like

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by triplechoice(m): 11:44am On Oct 14, 2022
ReubenSandwich:

copied and pasted from another forum: https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=7883&pid=378589#pid378589

Hehehehe. Fake people everywhere. Just imagine the nonsense.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2022
triplechoice:

Hehehehe. Fake people everywhere. Just imagine the nonsense.

1000WaysToLive is another one. Four of them now, copying and pasting back and forth between the forums. It’s creating a lot of confusion in both forums because posts from different people in one forum are being copied and pasted under one name in the other. People think they’re debating with one person in their own forum when they’re actually debating with two or more different people in the other.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by triplechoice(m): 10:11am On Oct 15, 2022
ReubenSandwich:

1000WaysToLive is another one. Four of them now, copying and pasting back and forth between the forums. It’s creating a lot of confusion in both forums because posts from different people in one forum are being copied and pasted under one name in the other. People think they’re debating with one person in their own forum when they’re actually debating with two or more different people in the other.

I think it's the same person fooling himself behind those four monikers.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 11:01am On Oct 15, 2022
triplechoice:

I think it's the same person fooling himself behind those four monikers.

I don't know if anyone else really cares, but I feel cheated when I think I'm having a conversation with someone, and then I find out that all they've been doing is copying my posts into another forum, and copying answers from different people in that forum back into this one.

1 Like

Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by triplechoice(m): 11:54am On Oct 15, 2022
ReubenSandwich:

I don't know if anyone else really cares, but I feel cheated when I think I'm having a conversation with someone, and then I find out that all they've been doing is copying my posts into another forum, and copying answers from different people in that forum back into this one.

No need to feel bad about it, but to praise yourself for being smart enough to detect the deception.

Kudos for what you have done in exposing the imposters here.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 2:48pm On Oct 15, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

Even if your posts are mostly copied and pasted from other people's posts in other forums, maybe some of what you're copying and pasting is what you really think. From the few rare posts that might be your own words, it looks to me like you really are blaming Christianity for some social problems, and crusading against it. I'll answer your question, and hope for you to respond in your own words. I think you have it backwards. I don't think that people behave the way they do because of their philosophies. I think that they construct philosophies for themselves that they can use as reasons for doing whatever they want to do, good or bad. There are many Christian philosophies, very different from each other. Maybe some are used more for harm and some are used more for good. The same applies to all the religions and to all other philosophies including anti-belief philosophies and philosophies that people think are rational, enlightened, scientific, modern or postmodern; and all identity and social justice philosophies. People's attitudes and behavior don't automatically improve when they stop believing in Christianity or any other religion or in God. The only thing that changes is the targets of their hostile attitudes and harmful behavior, and the excuses that they use for it.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by ReubenSandwich(m): 10:11am On Oct 16, 2022
triplechoice:

No need to feel bad about it, but to praise yourself for being smart enough to detect the deception.

Kudos for what you have done in exposing the imposters here.

I dug a little deeper and found some more copy-and-paste names here. These are all the ones that I've found that have been copying and pasting from the other forum: Tamaratonye1, chryssanthe, Near1, 1000WaysToLive, Silverseed, FemiAjani, and midnight378.
Re: Bigotry In Christians: Bug, Feature, Or Neither? by budaatum: 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2022
Christianity, if by that is meant, following the teachings of Christ, can not mean bigotry.

But perhaps I'd change my mind if you show Jesus being a bigot, or any Christian teaching that advocates bigotry.

(1) (Reply)

Pilgrimage To Jerusalem / What’s The Definition Of Universe? / Religion And Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.