Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

The Devil Among Us (A Novel) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil Among Us (A Novel) (650 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / SURVIVORS (a Novel) / The Devil In The Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Devil Among Us (A Novel) by SageWriters: 11:14pm On Oct 10, 2022
Just writing for the fun of it. I'm not a professional writer.

The Devil Among Us

Copyright© 2022 CaptainSupreme

All rights reserved.

DISCLAIMER.
The story you are about to read is a work of fiction. Names, places, people, incidents, etc. are products of the author's imagination and if real, are used fictiously. Any resemblence to persons living or dead is purely coincidental and should be treated as such...
Re: The Devil Among Us (A Novel) by youngWilly: 2:07am On Oct 11, 2022
Waiting patiently
Re: The Devil Among Us (A Novel) by blesskewe(f): 5:35pm On Oct 11, 2022
Waiting patiently
Re: The Devil Among Us (A Novel) by SageWriters: 10:57am On Oct 12, 2022
Summary

A hunter stumbled upon a dead body that looked like a suicide. But when more gruesome killings began to sprung up, investigator soon discover it's only the beginning of a nightmare in the community. More webs of manipulation leave the people in utter panic and terror as more revelation show up to reveal the daylight Devil among them.

EPISODE 1.

The sun had already began to set and the shadows of the evening were closing in. Mr. Okoro was on his way back from the forest bush where he went for his hunting expendition. He didnt actually went to shoot games, he went to check his traps and luckily, they caught two animals -a grasscutter and an antelope. The antelope was still alive but in pains. No doubt, tonight meal will be sumptous. His wife will use the grasscutter to prepare his favourite -pounded yam with melon soup. He could alread imagine himself devouring the meal. His stomach rumbled. He was hungry. He hastened his steps as he hurried home. He was humming a particular song to himself as he reached the village stream.

There were still children still playing in the water, men and women still in farm clothes washing the days work and sweat off their body. Young boys smoking indian hemp were seated at one corner. And to the right, he saw some familiar face among the men seated under the bamboo shade. He walked over as he greeted them.

"Mazi Ikem, Achebe, Kezie", he shaked them one after the othes in the typical igbo way. "I greet you all"

"Welcome oo"

"Ndewo", The men welcomed him back.

"Mazi Okoro, this one that you are all smiles today, i am sure you were lucky today hunting", Mazi Ikem said as Okoro dropped the antelope.

"Thats not all oo!", he then brought out the grasscutter from his hunting bag.

"You see this one ehn?, its going down here", he jabbed at his stomach.

"And is the antelope for us?" Achebe asked. He is a middle aged man in a dirty singlet and an old wrapper tied around his waist. He never go to farm nor had any work where he got his daily bread. The villagers were surprised on how he survived alone, no wife no children. But they were wise not to ask questions.

"is it new year?" Kezie hissed.

"Must it be a time of celebration before the number one hunter in the village give us one of his games?" Achebe retorted.

"Hahaha, you guys should not worry. Mazi Ikem daughter as we all know is getting married in a few days and by then there will be more than enough to eat and drink" Mr Okoro said.

"Its in two days time" Mazi Ikem beamed. His daughter Odishika, will be getting married to the son of Iche Orisa, a prominent chief in the king cabinet. The son, Emeka had gone to study abroad and came back a lawyer. He is already building a mansion for his father and promised to do so for Mazi Ikem after the marriage proper. Who wouldnt want their daughter to marry a well educated and wealthy man. He was the envy of other men in the village. Even his daughter had her own share of jealousy from her fellow maidens.

"Your daughter is really lucky getting married to a man like Emeka and not one of these village boys"

"You have my blessing Ikem"

As they were chatting happily, Mr. Okoro suddenly felt the need to relieve himself. It seems the rumbling of his stomach earlier was not a result of hunger. He needed to empty his bowels.

"Excuse me my chiefs, i need to answer the call of nature", he dropped his hunter bag and stood up.

"Go ahead make son space in your stomach to accomodate your wife's food tonight" Achebe said and they all laughed.

Mr. Okoro made his way into the bush along the side of the stream. He reached a particular spot and just as he was about to remove his trouser he saw a fresh human feaces in front of him. Disgusted, he moved further into the bush where he got under an udara tree. He used his matchete to dig a hole, dropped his trouser and squatted down to go about his business.

That was when he saw it, the body dangling from a rope around the neck. She was half naked, her clothes ripped in some part like she had been in a fight before her death. Her body was bruised badly and her lips were swollen. Her lifeless eyes stared back at him as her body swayed gently from the tree. Her name was Odishika, daughter of Mazi Ikem. In two days time she was supposed to get married.

Mazi Okoro was in shock, his muscles stopped working like he was paralysed. For he few seconds, he was like that -staring wide-eyed at the dead body. As if pressing the play button on a tv remote, he stood up, wore back his trouser and ran out of the bush, shouting at the top of his voice.

"Aru! Aru!! Aru!!!"

In haste, he stepped on the fresh human waste he saw earlier. But that was the least of his concern. An abomination had happened in the land. It had never happened before.

He reached the stream. He was still shouting. Heads turned in his direction, wondering why the man who went into the bush, came out not long after shouting like someone who had see the ugly head of the devil.

"Mr. Okoro, what happened?" Someone asked.
"Is there a problem?" another asked.
Re: The Devil Among Us (A Novel) by Benteazaa(m): 8:28pm On Oct 12, 2022
Let me register here
Re: The Devil Among Us (A Novel) by Carot: 6:21pm On Feb 03, 2023
blesskewe:
Waiting patiently
hey

(1) (Reply)

I Am Looking For A Publishing Firm To Work With. / Moviescript For Sale: The Photographer: Call Me Now +233 244922894 Accra Ghana / Janelle Brown (who's Heard Ov Her)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.