Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,420 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? (1671 Views)

Browsing And Downloading Settings For Bb Without Bis. / Imessage Users: Drop Your Id Here! / Imessage Contact Exchange Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by LordReed(m): 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2011
If you didn't know consider yourself officially notified that Apple, makers of the iphone have decided to enable their iDevices (iphone, ipad, ipod touch) to communicate with one another free of charge just like BB using the soon to be released iMessage in their iOS5 update.

Will all our gadget loving freaks be switching from the often ridiculed BB to this mobile phone powerhouse? Is this the begin of the end for BB as rumors have it that Google might introduce a similar feature for Android?
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 17, 2011
BB will continue to rule naija as long as d price of iphones remain high.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by n3rve(m): 1:33am On Oct 16, 2011
Old thread, found this while I was viewing another iMessage topic. Indeed, BlackBerrys will remain the 'in-thing' in Nigeria. Apple products are a little to expensive for the average joe.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by samir101ng(m): 4:34am On Oct 16, 2011
But who is the average joe in Nigeria ?? That is the question. grin grin

I can tell you that Blackberry is not cheap compared to a Nokia, Samsung or even china phone that the common Nigerian can afford. However, Nigerians are a class conscious or "Effizy" kind of people. We will sell our souls to buy a gadget we can't afford just to be among the cool crowd. How many people do you know that have BB but no BIS subscription ?? How many people do you know that have old school BB with monochrome screens ?? Therefore, Nigerians can afford to buy the Iphone. How much is an Iphone 2G or Iphone 3G in the market nowadays ?? Its comparable to a BB Curve or Bold 9700. Therefore, price is not a factor. It will take Apple a long time to put the infrastructure in place to rival the BBM as seeing by the challenges faced by RIM just recently. Across Europe and America, i forsee a great fall in market share for BB devices as Apple & Android phones challenge them but in Obodo 9ja, BB still rules. However if the GSM carriers are to legally launch Apple products and Apple opens an Apple store in Nigeria, then we might see a challenger for the BB in the Nigerian market.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by malikalhaj: 1:48pm On Oct 16, 2011
Dnt no what the fuss about imessage and bbm, IMO opinion i'll take whatsapp over any of these apps. . . . . simply cos its cross platform
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by Dabss(m): 5:26pm On Oct 17, 2011
samir101ng:

But who is the average joe in Nigeria ?? That is the question. grin grin

I can tell you that Blackberry is not cheap compared to a Nokia, Samsung or even china phone that the common Nigerian can afford. However, Nigerians are a class conscious or "Effizy" kind of people. We will sell our souls to buy a gadget we can't afford just to be among the cool crowd. How many people do you know that have BB but no BIS subscription ?? How many people do you know that have old school BB with monochrome screens ?? Therefore, Nigerians can afford to buy the Iphone. How much is an Iphone 2G or Iphone 3G in the market nowadays ?? Its comparable to a BB Curve or Bold 9700. Therefore, price is not a factor. It will take Apple a long time to put the infrastructure in place to rival the BBM as seeing by the challenges faced by RIM just recently. Across Europe and America, i forsee a great fall in market share for BB devices as Apple & Android phones challenge them but in Obodo 9ja, BB still rules. However if the GSM carriers are to legally launch Apple products and Apple opens an Apple store in Nigeria, then we might see a challenger for the BB in the Nigerian market.
imessenger can work on 2g or 3g so its not the same as bb. 3gs is about 75k
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by Dabss(m): 5:31pm On Oct 17, 2011
Sorry for the typo. I wish one can modify in this section.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by LordReed(m): 7:41am On Oct 18, 2011
@Da_b¤ss
My modify button shows doesn't yours?

@topic
When blackberry first came to Naija it was very expensive but eventually the uptake became phenomenal. Now that imessage works between all idevices don't you think it might become the next big thing?
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by Dabss(m): 7:57am On Oct 18, 2011
Lord_Reed:

@Da_b¤ss
My modify button shows doesn't yours?

@topic
When blackberry first came to Naija it was very expensive but eventually the uptake became phenomenal. Now that imessage works between all idevices don't you think it might become the next big thing?
yes it does but if u try to modify it will tell you that the topic is locked. Happens only in phones section
Imessenger cannot work on the 2g and 3g iphones.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by LordReed(m): 10:21am On Oct 18, 2011
@Da_b¤ss
I just click modify on my post and it worked. What are you using to browse? I'm using opera mini on BB.

I thought the iOS 5 update was across all idevices? And the only thing 4s specific is Siri?
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by LordReed(m): 10:30am On Oct 18, 2011
@Da_b¤ss
I get it now. When you submit modified post it brings up an error msg.

This sections Mod must like to read bad grammar! angry
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by Mobinga: 11:22am On Oct 18, 2011
This is all in the carriers hands. MTN especially.

Apple is not serious about capturing the Nigerian mobile market. If they were they would out-muscle RIM. Easily.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by Dabss(m): 11:27am On Oct 18, 2011
Lord_Reed:

@Da_b¤ss
I just click modify on my post and it worked. What are you using to browse? I'm using opera mini on BB.

I thought the iOS 5 update was across all idevices? And the only thing 4s specific is Siri?
nope. 3gs,4g,4gs ipad 1$2, ipod 3g(32 gig only) ipod 4g.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by LordReed(m): 11:50am On Oct 18, 2011
Ok but still its a potential BBM killer. I for one won't like to see BBM go down expanded sure but not out.
Re: Imessage: The Death Bell For Bb? by Dabss(m): 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2011
Lord_Reed:

Ok but still its a potential BBM killer. I for one won't like to see BBM go down expanded sure but not out.
we just have to wait untill the untethered ios5 jailbreak comes out, hopefully very soon.

(1) (Reply)

Elephone P6000 Android 5.0 4G Smartphone Discussion Thread / Will You Buy This 200GB SD Card For N80,000? / What's The Difference Between Blackberry Z10 And Z30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.